Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 7 Mar 2022, 18:10 (Ref:4101519)   #2651
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Great news, Graham; glad you got the bottom of the problem, no matter how frustrating it must have been.

I really hope that they are not going to actually charge you for the return of the system, or if they have already, that they then give you a full refund of the extra costs involved., especially as it hasn't even been used and must surely be under warranty.
Old 7 Mar 2022, 18:27 (Ref:4101522)   #2652
911thillclimber
Veteran

911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
They will only check the unit over if I ship to them (£49) and ship back (more) and they might charge me for the repair as they have said they think it is my fault...before it has arrived and gone on the test bench.
It might be in their place today in Virginia.

The test guy only works 1 day a week, so goodness knows when mine will be checked.
All in all, what a shower!

Or of course i could tell them where to stuff it and go to DTA for a real ECU.
But that is £1100...

I am, for sure, over the barrel.
Old 8 Mar 2022, 18:47 (Ref:4101647)   #2653
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
You teach me a nice way to talk with your "where to stuff it" Graham. All this is painful but I'm sure you will almost forget this bad experience when driving your wonder flat out with a demon engine you built yourself. Your creation, your right foot, your pleasure, your smile. Cheers to that!
Old 9 Mar 2022, 10:33 (Ref:4101743)   #2654
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Glad you've got it all sorted Graham. All those frustrations will be worth when you get that screamer up the hill. Look forward to hearing all about your events this year
Old 9 Mar 2022, 12:55 (Ref:4101767)   #2655
911thillclimber
Veteran

911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Not sure it is 'sorted' tbh!
Until Electromotive come back and say 'It's done, posting back now', it is in the car, and running, and I'm at the Prescott start line will i believe it is sorted.

Discussed Plan B with the wife in M&S cafe today.
3 options, one the DTA @ £1200, interface to the Clewett stuff
Buy the very analogue 12 plug distributor (where my heart is tbh)
Claim faulty parts via VISA and see what happens. (suspect v hard work)
and start again....

Mrs Hillclimber still thinks Electromotive will come true.

I don't share that optimism!
Old 9 Mar 2022, 13:21 (Ref:4101778)   #2656
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911thillclimber View Post
Not sure it is 'sorted' tbh!
Until Electromotive come back and say 'It's done, posting back now', it is in the car, and running, and I'm at the Prescott start line will i believe it is sorted.

Discussed Plan B with the wife in M&S cafe today.
3 options, one the DTA @ £1200, interface to the Clewett stuff
Buy the very analogue 12 plug distributor (where my heart is tbh)
Claim faulty parts via VISA and see what happens. (suspect v hard work)
and start again....

Mrs Hillclimber still thinks Electromotive will come true.

I don't share that optimism!
I hope that Mrs Hillclimber's optimism is well placed, that would certainly be the most tidy solution.
Unfortunately I always find that dealing with a problem long distance (either by telephone or email) is difficult. It's far better if you can turn up at the premises, bang on the counter and (in true Dead parrot sketch tradition) announce "I wish to register a complaint!" Dealing with someone face to face generally seems to work.
However, I do also remember being told many years ago that the only way you find out how good/true a company is, is when you experience problems and see the way that they deal with them. Admittedly this doesn't appear to have been too good so far but hopefully once they test your returned bits and find out for themselves that they really are faulty, they will come up trumps for you.
I do have my fingers crossed on your behalf!
Old 9 Mar 2022, 17:02 (Ref:4101811)   #2657
911thillclimber
Veteran

The approach to a problem is key.
This has been a 3 week intense convoluted 'process' to get this far.

In the late 80's I worked in the Car Industry, mainly in the USA, but also UK. I made a mistake one late evening doing my usual 14 hour day and signed a concession for a spring and production carried on...
My blunder (long story) was estimated to cost £1,000,000, for real.

The CEO of the Group always boasted they would give the best service when time got tough.
He simply said "Go get them, sort it, you have my blessing to cover the £1 million"

Just like that.
We did everything to fix the near Recall situation, the problem was safety specific.

As it turned out other changes had been made to the car's shell and seals and this weak (marginally) spring just pushed the problem to a disaster.
We worked out taters off fixing that.

The Big Guy at the Customer said:
If that was a problem, I'll have more any day, you just stood-up and fixed it.
You are true to your word.

It cost us £700,000, we kept the contract with them and more, I kept my job, and 3 years later was asked to stay when I decided to leave.

My doctor said I should get out before I was in a box.

We shall see, I hope soon, that this pantomime will have a happy ending.

Keep everything crossed!
Old 11 Mar 2022, 14:25 (Ref:4102107)   #2658
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Must be so frustrating to try so many different solutions to what seems like a minor problem. Make it more satisfying when the car is able to compete. At least you have the experience to keep calm and not let it get on top of you.

Interesting story by the way, nice the CEO was able to give his support. Shows what a great company it must have been to work for.
Old 11 Mar 2022, 16:51 (Ref:4102135)   #2659
911thillclimber
Veteran

I lasted 5 years in the car industry, I was young and took every experience i could.
Traveled to the States a lot, Europe too and burnt out as a result.
Don't remember the first 3 years of my daughter's life.

Left after Mrs HC found me 3 other jobs to apply for, left and went into 10 glorious years in the Caravan Industry!
Double the pay, 1/2 the hours!

Despite 2 simple emails, Electromotive have gone silent.

I have asked for a time frame for the return of the XDi unit which they had last Monday.

I can smell a growingly strong stench.
Old 18 Mar 2022, 16:52 (Ref:4103127)   #2660
911thillclimber
Veteran

Interesting day on the Lola today.

Ran the XDi box's grounds direct to the battery (helps kill some noise)
The crank sensor is removed and the loom modified for the Hall sensor that's coming.

Emailed the starter motor supplier, Brise, yesterday and they have replied. Not a known problem but they want to know how I get on ( )
A suggestion is to add a dedicated earth cable from the starter to the battery ground direct.

I have been through the entire installation.
First was to machine a small tool turned to push directly on the female terminals in the 23 way connector.
No terminals push back (ie when you push the 23 way connector into the XDi box).
All wires in the right pin location ticked-off in the manual, so all good.
The jumper lead added for the Hall sensor coming (linking pins 4 & 5 together) in the 23 way plug.

All power leads (3) belled through from the +ve battery terminal to the XDi box and the two coil packs.
All grounds tested good.

The closest the crank sensor cable is to any of the system on the engine is 10".
Inevitably, the lot all come intimate at the 23 pin plug.

Electromotive have not given me a FedEx tracker ( :roll: ) so have no idea if it is on it's way or gone to the moon.
Clewett has stopped answering emails.....

Emeralds ECU people enthusiastic, Megasquirt Dealer very energetic! DTA still there waiting.

I really cannot see where there is a flaw in the installation.
End of next week might be interesting.
Old 21 Mar 2022, 17:26 (Ref:4103728)   #2661
911thillclimber
Veteran

Unexpectedly, FedEx arrived this afternoon out of the blue.
Thus i have the Xdi back and the new Hall sensor.

Got the 'conversion' wires all in and tidy and switched it all on. hock:

The light on the unit starts solid Green. Tick
The light alternates red/green while cranking the engine over. Tick
The light goes back to solid Green when I stop. Tick

Doesn't start or fart or pop, but that will be for another day this week.

This is a major move forward, never seen this before.
But, it has not started.

The Diagnostic sheet says this condition will occure if there is no power to the coil packs. although i belled it all through a few days ago I will see what volts are geting to the coil packs. simple test.

I have a Neutral feeling atm.
Old 22 Mar 2022, 13:10 (Ref:4103830)   #2662
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Unexpectedly, FedEx arrived this afternoon out of the blue.
Thus i have the Xdi back and the new Hall sensor.

Got the 'conversion' wires all in and tidy and switched it all on. hock:

The light on the unit starts solid Green. Tick
The light alternates red/green while cranking the engine over. Tick
The light goes back to solid Green when I stop. Tick

Doesn't start or fart or pop, but that will be for another day this week.

This is a major move forward, never seen this before.
But, it has not started.

The Diagnostic sheet says this condition will occure if there is no power to the coil packs. although i belled it all through a few days ago I will see what volts are geting to the coil packs. simple test.

I have a Neutral feeling atm.
Well, I see this as positive news on your side (I take it that they've not admitted that they found their unit faulty or what the problem actually was?) Hopefully you will find the fundamental issue soon and your engine will be singing along nicely.
Old 22 Mar 2022, 15:29 (Ref:4103857)   #2663
911thillclimber
Veteran

IT RUNS!

Checked all the wires, all the volts, all the pin-outs and most importantly swore at it.
Turned it all on. Pumped the carbs as usual and splutter and in an instant flashed into life.
Sound amazing.

Ran it for about 5 mins @ 2500 ish and blipped occasionally, oil pressure normal etc, no nasty mechanical noises etc.

XDi has a solid green on switch-on, red/green on cranking, solid green on switch off. Left it for a few mins while Mrs Hillclimber stood and was mighty relieved, and it restarted like before (always was a a good hot starter).

Switched off and linked the time light to #1 cylinder and re-started, 2650 rpm tick over, advance needs a tweak, but will leave it to Ben at BHP to dial it in.

So, I have a running 1,000,000 bhp @8000 red line Lola hillclimb car.

Might get to within 6 seconds of that Mini now.

Will take a video when at BHP and post it. Day booked for 20 April, 2 days before Prescott.

Please may I say a very big thank you to everyone on here for the help, guidance and encouragement through possibly the hardest, most frustrating thing I've ever done.

Graham.
Old 22 Mar 2022, 16:34 (Ref:4103874)   #2664
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
Quote:
IT RUNS!

Checked all the wires, all the volts, all the pin-outs and most importantly swore at it.
Turned it all on. Pumped the carbs as usual and splutter and in an instant flashed into life.
Sound amazing.

Ran it for about 5 mins @ 2500 ish and blipped occasionally, oil pressure normal etc, no nasty mechanical noises etc.

XDi has a solid green on switch-on, red/green on cranking, solid green on switch off. Left it for a few mins while Mrs Hillclimber stood and was mighty relieved, and it restarted like before (always was a a good hot starter).

Switched off and linked the time light to #1 cylinder and re-started, 2650 rpm tick over, advance needs a tweak, but will leave it to Ben at BHP to dial it in.

So, I have a running 1,000,000 bhp @8000 red line Lola hillclimb car.

Might get to within 6 seconds of that Mini now.

Will take a video when at BHP and post it. Day booked for 20 April, 2 days before Prescott.

Please may I say a very big thank you to everyone on here for the help, guidance and encouragement through possibly the hardest, most frustrating thing I've ever done.

Graham.
You worked through it despite the frustrating setbacks and your persitence paid off, well done. Hopefully a FTD will be the next thing
Old 22 Mar 2022, 16:40 (Ref:4103877)   #2665
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Great news Graham and so glad all your troubles, heartache, and work have seemingly paid off. Always had faith you would get to the bottom of it and that the Lola would do the right thing in return. It clearly doesn't want to sit at home every weekend.

Best of luck for Prescott!
Old 22 Mar 2022, 17:28 (Ref:4103880)   #2666
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
That's fantastic. Well done.

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
Old 22 Mar 2022, 19:24 (Ref:4103898)   #2667
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Good news, Graham, happy day!

Waiting for someone to say it was the coils…
Old 22 Mar 2022, 19:53 (Ref:4103902)   #2668
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm really pleased for you, Graham, especially for all the hard work put in and the patience that you and your team manager have shown.

Apart from not swearing at the engine and kicking the tyres in frustration, have you determined what it was that caused the engine to not fire yesterday?
Old 22 Mar 2022, 22:37 (Ref:4103914)   #2669
911thillclimber
Veteran

What has been the fault?
Good question, but consider this:
Sent the XDi unit back to the USA for testing.
Report back was it is "trouble free".
Suggestion was to fir a Hall effect crank sensor, all mine for £380. I paid.
Got the Xdi and sensor yesterday from the USA.
Fitted both.
Suddenly it all works.

Ok
If I now convert the car BACK to the original VR sensor and the car runs, that means the XDi suddenly works.

Maybe the report back should have been
"the XDi is now trouble=free"

ie, it's been repaired, it was faulty and the red light (which has never been expalined) is really the signal it's failed..
Old 13 Apr 2022, 16:22 (Ref:4106703)   #2670
911thillclimber
Veteran

Time to WAKE-UP!

Car due to the rolling road next Wednesday, that will be nervey!
Assuming it survives that, the entry is confirmed for Prescott on the 24/25 April, and Shelsley Walsh 7/8 May.
New Championship and some new cars in the class, it is never easy...

Prescott sees the arrival of a mighty Pilbeam MP92 with 7,300 cc. driven by a competent father/son duo, my usual sparing partner, Allan in the MiniEVO and a 5 litre TVR.

Shelsley is a bit different with a turbo Fiesta...

Biggest issue is i am not in good shape. Damaged right shoulder seems to be not healing quickly, and my left hand is not good. First time in my life i have such issues, but we did a quick test in the garage yesterday and I can just about get out of the car without a stab of acute pain of the shoulder.

Good news though is we are on a nice big flat paddock space at Prescott away from the madding crowd.

doubt I will get my name on that trophy this year.

Last edited by 911thillclimber; 13 Apr 2022 at 16:30.
Old 13 Apr 2022, 19:05 (Ref:4106722)   #2671
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Time to WAKE-UP!

....Prescott sees the arrival of a mighty Pilbeam MP92 with 7,300 cc. driven by a competent father/son duo,
That sounds quite a handful.... I have heard of MP92's I think with DFV/DFL power before but never 7300cc. Gulp.

All the best for the season Graham, and trust your shoulder issue is just a temporary strain and does not hinder things come playtime.

Re the trophy, never say never.
Cheers, Chris
Old 14 Apr 2022, 11:31 (Ref:4106813)   #2672
911thillclimber
Veteran

Yes, the MP was built with a Cosworth DFV or possibly the endurance version, 3 litres i think and about 400 bhp?

The car has been on the hills when new, but now had what i think is a big block Chevy, so very F5000
The owner chatted about it to me last year and takes the sport very seriously, so I expect fireworks.

Seen the doctor today about my injuries, not too good, need Xrays etc first.

http://www.pilbeamracing.co.uk/photo...07top-side.jpg
Old 14 Apr 2022, 17:52 (Ref:4106861)   #2673
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Wish you all the best, Graham. Cheers!
Old 20 Apr 2022, 15:32 (Ref:4107401)   #2674
911thillclimber
Veteran

IG DAY today for me and the Lola, morning at the rolling road, BHP Performance, very local to me which is nice for a change.

Strapped the car down on the rollers and warmed it up. First time Ben had seen the Clewett ignition system, but no probs, he just thought it strange...

Broke the engine in for 20 mins up and down the rpm in 2nd and 4th to load it all up and then set too setting the advance positions, tick over, 3000 and 8000 rpm, the latter somewhat academic!

Mid way through the engine died suddenly. Loss of power to the ECU, blown 7A fuse, so 10A fitted (max current draw is 10A)
Got going again and did a few runs and a few discussions and ran the engine to peak power.

At this point we hit 295.6 bhp @ 6776 rpm, 243.2 Lbft @5066 rpm.

(transmission losses are 35 bhp)

Engine sounded great, good oil pressure and 100 deg C.

Talked about where more could be gained, filters (oiled KN fitted) and maybe carb chokes (38mm in 50mm carbs)

We decided to leave it there, the curves are great, very smooth and it sounds like it could go much further.
I expected/hoped for a good 300/320, 100 bhp /litre would have been great.

Engine still tight, and we didn't want to push the timing further but did try on deg less and lost 5 bhp, so we could be very close.

Needed to add fuel at 6K so re-jetted the PMO's and that helped.

Very happy with this, smooth engine, lots of torque and no peaks or flats.

Quick little video here, try opening the sound up.
Sounded ballistic in the chamber!

https://youtu.be/Btr1ATBrrLc
Old 21 Apr 2022, 06:45 (Ref:4107460)   #2675
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
Brilliant! Well done, you must be chuffed to bits and really looking forward to actually driving the car.