Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 4 May 2010, 14:08 (Ref:2684290)   #251
tblincoe
Veteran

tblincoe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritle View Post
Mayor Jerramiah Healy issued a statement clarifying that Jersey City was approached by Formula One.

"Jersey City is one of several cities they (F1) are pursuing," said mayor Healy. "There have been a few, preliminary conversations and this is very much in the exploratory phase. However, this may not be something that is in the best interest of Jersey City or Liberty State Park."

Opposition to this will be huge and has already started:

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/2...te_park_3.html
Can you now give me a little bit of credit for being right on the mark with this one?
Old 4 May 2010, 14:24 (Ref:2684299)   #252
Spritle
Veteran

Spritle has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
If it happens, I'll give you all the credit you want.

If it's more Bernard puffing and wishful thinking that bears no fruit, do I get the credit???
Old 4 May 2010, 14:33 (Ref:2684303)   #253
tblincoe
Veteran

tblincoe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritle View Post
If it happens, I'll give you all the credit you want.

If it's more Bernard puffing and wishful thinking that bears no fruit, do I get the credit???
If you read back, I was only talking about the site; a contention for which you pretty much shot me out of the water for even mentioning!

Like you said, it's far from being a done deal and I'm more than ready to say there are enough factors weighing against the proposed event to keep it from happening. That being said, this is the NY site Bernie was talking about, and for some very good reasons; other individuals with better connections to the sport, like Joe Saward, seem to agree...
Old 4 May 2010, 15:34 (Ref:2684327)   #254
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
In that article Sam Pesin, president of The Friends Board of Trustees said work on the marsh is expected to start this fall. If that is the case then no GP for the Extortionist. He'll have to look elsewhere.
Old 4 May 2010, 16:14 (Ref:2684347)   #255
DanShenise
Racer

United States
Atlanta, via St. Pete Beach
DanShenise should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think its two different potential layouts. One is clearly a Tilke craptastic layout. The other (pink) looks like it has the potential to be pretty quick. I'll check Google Earth to see what is there now.

Yep, nothing there except some warehouses and access roads to Ellis Island. Its not like is a fantastic park, its just been left fallow. There are exits there for the Jersey Turnpike, and I think the new Red Bull stadium is nearby too so access should be pretty good. The views of the Statue of Liberty would be pretty cool. And its not in middle America, so that's a plus.

Last edited by DanShenise; 4 May 2010 at 16:22. Reason: updated comment
Old 4 May 2010, 19:11 (Ref:2684432)   #256
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanShenise View Post
I'll check Google Earth to see what is there now.
I checked google earth a couple of days ago. The car I sold two years ago was still parked on my driveway.
Old 4 May 2010, 19:44 (Ref:2684448)   #257
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Careful what you say about "middle America", dude. Where I live is far from hickdom, and Indianapolis is hardly redneck country either.

BJS, they'd have to clear the marsh to make use of he site for anything, GP or otherwise, so that really isn't a probelm. Actually, it makes the site more favorable.

Anyway, with Bernie's leverage with businesses, and his legal staff, he could ram-rod a GP through into existence anywhere he wanted, regardless of how much the locals complained.

EDIT; Alright, I had a different idea on what they were doing with regards to the marsh. Then again, in a metro area like NYC, is this really going to work? I mean, the green space is going to be rather isolated from any other similar areas. Also, how are you going to keep it well-maintained in an urban area with major developers and pollution issues to deal with?

Last edited by Purist; 4 May 2010 at 19:56.
Old 4 May 2010, 20:42 (Ref:2684472)   #258
Spritle
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
Anyway, with Bernie's leverage with businesses, and his legal staff, he could ram-rod a GP through into existence anywhere he wanted, regardless of how much the locals complained.
This isn't baseball, football, basketball, hockey or the UK, this is the US and F1 with just about zero interest in that region. He has an ice cube's chance in hell of ramrodding anything down the throat of North Jersey and NYC folks, trust me on that one.

The New York Metro area needs more green space, less congestion, less NOISE and more natural surroundings. The long range plans for Liberty State Park are totally the opposite of what F1 would bring and BE's track record precedes him.

The Extortionist has an uphill battle on this location and personally I'd love to see him go home with his tail between his legs.

Vrooom, vrooom, Bernie! Where next?
Old 4 May 2010, 22:22 (Ref:2684525)   #259
DanShenise
Racer

United States
Atlanta, via St. Pete Beach
DanShenise should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Middle America isn't the market Bernard wants. If he could hold all races in Monaco, Abu Dhabi and Singapore, he would. Its all about glamour. Indy is a touch too, average for him and the brand he is trying to sell. And I know Interlagos isn't exactly Monaco, but when the US in general cares zero about F1, Bernie is going to want the best he can get for the international celebs who visit the races. Were it not for Monaco, he probably would be trying to get something in Miami.

And Google Earth updates its image base at odd intervals. Depending on the amount of overall development in an area will depend on how often the image base gets updated. If you get a ton of changes (like lots of new major construction), you'll get more updates. I like checking out ports and naval bases because I like ships and stuff. For the longest time (like four years ) there was a great image of a SSN in drydock in Guam, but then one day, its gone.

Last edited by DanShenise; 4 May 2010 at 22:27. Reason: added thought
Old 4 May 2010, 23:22 (Ref:2684548)   #260
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanShenise View Post
Middle America isn't the market Bernard wants. If he could hold all races in Monaco, Abu Dhabi and Singapore, he would. Its all about glamour.
It's not about glamour, it's about Bernie's ego. He's made F1 a truly global sport, in terms of viewers and almost a global sport in terms of venues, with the exception of Africa. It's also about money, otherwise why would he charge those huge fees?
Old 5 May 2010, 14:31 (Ref:2684832)   #261
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
I checked google earth a couple of days ago. The car I sold two years ago was still parked on my driveway.

Too true ! I still have the same old swimming pool and somebody told me they update the maps each 3 months...
Old 5 May 2010, 16:17 (Ref:2684875)   #262
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
By the way, it's off. And I can't say I'm surprised either
Old 5 May 2010, 18:03 (Ref:2684929)   #263
Spritle
Veteran

Well it seems like I'm due some credit....

Vrooom, vrooom Bernie, where next??
Old 5 May 2010, 19:11 (Ref:2684962)   #264
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
It was never going to happen. The state government would never have been able to justify the extra expense. This isn't some Gulf-State, where fiscal probity barely exists.
Old 5 May 2010, 21:17 (Ref:2685040)   #265
Birddog07
Racer

United States
Pittsburgh
Birddog07 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Even without any money involved, I doubt it would go through. US cares too little for F1 and all the residents dont want the 'noise' of all those amazing sounding engines. I think that park is more than capible of having a circuit.
Old 6 May 2010, 00:54 (Ref:2685095)   #266
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
The US Grand Prix should be at one race track...Indy, It has loads of history, it's there, it's upgraded. it's fast, and the "those people" are really quite nice Bernie..

Thank you for dropping by...
Old 6 May 2010, 01:14 (Ref:2685098)   #267
Spritle
Veteran

Chef

Crow will be served in abundance at the restaurants Mr E. supposedly frequents in Chicago if he has to go back to Indy. Maybe I'll get a job as a waiter so I can serve him his abundant portions!

I may even spring for one of those F1 Paddock Club $1500 tickets in the Pagoda with a name badge that reads, "One of the Wrong Crowd".

Vrooom, vrooom Bernie! Where next??

Old 6 May 2010, 11:00 (Ref:2685276)   #268
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birddog07 View Post
Even without any money involved, I doubt it would go through. US cares too little for F1 and all the residents dont want the 'noise' of all those amazing sounding engines. I think that park is more than capible of having a circuit.
There are places that care a lot and would welcome and accommodate the circus. Bernie thinks he and his crew are "above" them, though.