Old 19 Feb 2008, 23:01 (Ref:2132938)   #251
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster
Yeah, Panoz could build an IRL spec car or actually just start making them again as they made them a few years ago. As for engines, I'd like to see Cosworth make engines for the new series but I think the engines are actually spec.
I'd like to see the following:
Chassis suppliers: Dallara, Lola, Panoz, Riley.
Engines suppliers: Ford (Cosworth?), Chevrolet, Honda, Toyota, Mazda, Mercedes Benz (Ilmor?). 2.65l V8 turbos.
Tyres: Firestone.
Fuel: ethanol.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna
Old 19 Feb 2008, 23:16 (Ref:2132952)   #252
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Yeah, Panoz could build an IRL spec car or actually just start making them again as they made them a few years ago. As for engines, I'd like to see Cosworth make engines for the new series but I think the engines are actually spec.

panoz does the G-Force chassis...and the DP01 was/is oval certified it simply has not run them....
the DP01 is a more versatile chassis anyway (superleague formula V12 fit?!)

this is getting better every day
Old 20 Feb 2008, 00:16 (Ref:2132971)   #253
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm just glad open-wheel is getting back together and can start building up. Hopefully one day in my life I will be able to see American open-wheel rivaling F1 once again.

Chris
Old 20 Feb 2008, 01:57 (Ref:2132993)   #254
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac
Me too. If these two get together and Surfers Paradise is not on the agenda, I will be verging on mortified.
I dont think you will have to worry about that. It all appears that Surfers will be on the schedule but the real question is whether it will be a point scoring or non point scoring race for 08.
Old 20 Feb 2008, 05:19 (Ref:2133047)   #255
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't know what "oval certified" means in this context, but the DP-01 has never been tested on an oval and to my knowledge, there is no oval "kit" for it.
Old 20 Feb 2008, 06:00 (Ref:2133056)   #256
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac
Me too. If these two get together and Surfers Paradise is not on the agenda, I will be verging on mortified.
I'd been quietly contemplating cashing in some holidays to see what the fuss on the Gold Coast is all about this year, will be good if the lot are there.
Old 20 Feb 2008, 07:17 (Ref:2133082)   #257
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by johntt
I'd like to see the following:
Chassis suppliers: Dallara, Lola, Panoz, Riley.
Engines suppliers: Ford (Cosworth?), Chevrolet, Honda, Toyota, Mazda, Mercedes Benz (Ilmor?). 2.65l V8 turbos.
Tyres: Firestone.
Fuel: ethanol.
To survive with so many suppliers you'd need 40 cars on the grid, and only very well funded teams: pure fantasy.

IRL have better survived these long sad days by bringing costs down, let's not forget it: as long the american auto industry keeps in trouble there's no alternative.
Old 20 Feb 2008, 08:10 (Ref:2133106)   #258
madman16
Racer

Australia
Brisvegas, Aus
madman16 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll be dirty if the Indy cars aren't back at the Gold Coast. Points paying or not as long as they are there.

The V8 Supercars are great but to have the Indycars just 45min down the road is great. I can see the V8's anytime but the Indy/CC only comes around once a year and even an ordinary CC race still beat any round of F1.

Please, please, please come back again
Old 20 Feb 2008, 10:03 (Ref:2133188)   #259
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think there is no reason to drop a successful event; dunno whether there can be date clashes, but if they sorted it out with Long Beach, with SP it can only be easier IMO
Old 20 Feb 2008, 10:21 (Ref:2133206)   #260
EGG
Racer

Australia
perth, aus
EGG has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I in all honesty didn't think this would happen this decade.

Hopefully surfers will come together. It's a shame more of the CCWS circuits aren't going to be on the new schedule, particularly laguna seca and road america.
Old 20 Feb 2008, 18:40 (Ref:2133527)   #261
gttouring
Veteran

road america must showcase indy cars. this is a farce to ignore this track- coupled witha historic weekend or touring cars this would be fabulous..
ditto for Laguna Seca- a 2 week stay in Wine country or better separate them at each end of the season. these tracks are great Sonoma and Laguna...
Old 20 Feb 2008, 19:31 (Ref:2133564)   #262
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
So whats the new "unified" series called?

I presume they are racing on a mix of ovals and road courses?
Old 20 Feb 2008, 19:39 (Ref:2133569)   #263
icemachine
Veteran

Canada
Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada
icemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridicemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
According to internet rumours it will be Indycar Racing League,

The Schedule would be current IRL schedule with Long Beach in place of Motegi (which would be moved later in the season), Edmonton in place of Nashville, and Surfer's Paradise, likely as a non points race.
Old 20 Feb 2008, 19:40 (Ref:2133570)   #264
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gttouring
panoz does the G-Force chassis...and the DP01 was/is oval certified it simply has not run them....
the DP01 is a more versatile chassis anyway (superleague formula V12 fit?!)

this is getting better every day
The SF car is the DP09, although they might be rather similar. Then again, even if it was the DP01, wether you can stick a V12 in it is nothing to do with wether it can be raced on an oval or not.
Old 20 Feb 2008, 19:44 (Ref:2133572)   #265
icemachine
Veteran

Canada
Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada
icemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridicemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Curt Cavin has a lot on his Blog today, including the first time I've seen a reporter mention the possibility of lawsuits

http://blogs.indystar.com/racingexpert/

most interesting tidbit

Quote:
I suspect we'll see Long Beach and Motegi held the same day, with Long Beach being a farewell race for Champ Car and not technically an IRL race. I'm told tickets are already on sale in both markets, and Long Beach is preparing its street circuit as we speak. I think this plan has trouble written all over it, especially in Long Beach.
Old 20 Feb 2008, 20:05 (Ref:2133585)   #266
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its not officially confirmed according to Autosport:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/65229
Old 20 Feb 2008, 20:30 (Ref:2133592)   #267
stradlin21
Veteran

England
Near Leeds, UK
stradlin21 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
until it's confirmed on Indycar.com then it's not confirmed at all
Old 20 Feb 2008, 23:30 (Ref:2133727)   #268
gttouring
Veteran

Quote:
The SF car is the DP09, although they might be rather similar. Then again, even if it was the DP01, wether you can stick a V12 in it is nothing to do with wether it can be raced on an oval or not.
it has to do with adaptability of the chassis...
Racecar engineering had an article on it... they didn't do much to fit the v12 into the chassis, just add an airbox- as the orginal car was to use both types of engines for a unified series approach with equipment..
those panoz guys are clever.
now can they make a front engined roadster?
Old 20 Feb 2008, 23:33 (Ref:2133730)   #269
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
http://ukpress.google.com/article/AL...kxe4M9HbZGTabg
Old 21 Feb 2008, 00:30 (Ref:2133775)   #270
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
That was picked up from a story on yahoo.com/sports and shince has been revised to read that the news conference has been "tentatively" scheduled for "as early as" 11 a.m." and other sources have stated that the IRl has not "officially" slated a date and time a potential announcement.

Seems as though there is still some work to do, gang...

We've had the rug pulled out from under us before on this issue...I'll believe it when they make the "Formal Announcement"...This thing is too complicated on the CCWS side to make it an easy deal....

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 21 Feb 2008, 02:03 (Ref:2133800)   #271
Tony Clifton
Racer

Tony Clifton should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by icemachine
According to internet rumours it will be Indycar Racing League,

The Schedule would be current IRL schedule with Long Beach in place of Motegi (which would be moved later in the season), Edmonton in place of Nashville, and Surfer's Paradise, likely as a non points race.

Why not call it as it use to be called:

Indycar World Series
Old 21 Feb 2008, 08:54 (Ref:2133941)   #272
Amar7605
Veteran

United States
Elk Grove, CA
Amar7605 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Even if the merger is confirmed, my concern will be the quality of the whole thing. Will the new series be something worthwhile for people to watch? What will the races be like when going to them in person? And how will the competition be?

This is a very critical year for open-wheel racing. This new series better put on great races and bring it every race day.
Old 21 Feb 2008, 10:50 (Ref:2134028)   #273
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
While I am waiting for the announcement, I will say this:

The critical thing is to get one series going. A lot has been written about venues and cars and engines for this season and their unsuitability.

Look, it took a long time to get where we are. It is going to take a while to get where we need to be. Lets crawl before we worry about what brand of running shoes we need to be wearing...hopefully we will have a long future to refine things and create a truly dynamic series (again).

In fact, the midwives are still attending the birth...
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 21 Feb 2008, 11:27 (Ref:2134065)   #274
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
Great post John

Actually getting together is of paramount importance; the chassis being/not being ugly, the engine being Honda/Cossie/whatever else, venues scheduled/unscheduled are just a bunch of matters to be faced calmly and gradually, since the planning the very next season.
Old 21 Feb 2008, 13:09 (Ref:2134144)   #275
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good post, John. Getting together is only the first step in growing the SPORT. It can't be regarded as a "microwave." It has taken 12 years to get back to here (if, in fact, they do).
Closed Thread