Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 4 Feb 2016, 21:10 (Ref:3611687)   #2801
Rcz
Veteran

United States
Rcz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nissan shouldn't use a racing engine because unlike Mazda, they have a viable stock blocks. They have about 3 options.

Have fast are these new cars going to go? 600hp to a 900kg chassis might make them as fast as the old LMP1 cars of the ALMS glory days.
Old 4 Feb 2016, 21:15 (Ref:3611689)   #2802
YZFrider
Racer

YZFrider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridYZFrider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Shooot with considerations from Nissan, Rebellion, Bentley (are they still?) that could be an opportunity. And who knows the future of LMP1, it could collapse ergo making IMSA one of the top world series or it could change to something similar DPi. Sort of like the collapse of GTP/Group C that birthed WSC
Old 4 Feb 2016, 22:35 (Ref:3611692)   #2803
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaFox View Post
Maybe IMSA should just replace P with "Super GT3" - a name I've given to an idea that's been popping up on occasion ever since there was rumor that Super GT was going to switch to a "souped up" GT3 class for GT500 out of frustration over DTM's hesitance to switch to 2-liter turbo engines(that rumor has been debunked by both sides, though).

People really seem to like the idea - take any GT3 car, and swap the suspension to widen the track and fit bodywork not unlike the aero treatments of the old GT500 cars and open up the engines(it's believed most GT3 engines are reliably capable of as much as 200 horsepower over what they get restricted down to in the various championships) and you have GT-derived cars that can take the position of prototypes with ease.

Series loses the Le Mans tickets, but with how much disagreement there is over the P class it might actually be easier to do this. It doesn't look like the IMSA/ACO collaboration has much of a future regardless at this point.
nah.

that just makes the GT3 cars needlessly expensive.

they have their place.
Old 4 Feb 2016, 22:40 (Ref:3611694)   #2804
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
Any word if the Kermit Audi (FLM & Krohn) will be back for Sebring?
Yes, see this http://www.lizardms.com/news/releases/2016/feb-03.html
Old 4 Feb 2016, 22:40 (Ref:3611695)   #2805
Rcz
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Maybe IMSA should just replace P with "Super GT3" - a name I've given to an idea that's been popping up on occasion ever since there was rumor that Super GT was going to switch to a "souped up" GT3 class for GT500 out of frustration over DTM's hesitance to switch to 2-liter turbo engines(that rumor has been debunked by both sides, though).

People really seem to like the idea - take any GT3 car, and swap the suspension to widen the track and fit bodywork not unlike the aero treatments of the old GT500 cars and open up the engines(it's believed most GT3 engines are reliably capable of as much as 200 horsepower over what they get restricted down to in the various championships) and you have GT-derived cars that can take the position of prototypes with ease.

Series loses the Le Mans tickets, but with how much disagreement there is over the P class it might actually be easier to do this. It doesn't look like the IMSA/ACO collaboration has much of a future regardless at this point.
Sounds like the fabled return of the GTX class
Old 4 Feb 2016, 23:03 (Ref:3611704)   #2806
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

No, they shouldn't. The DPi will be built off of the 4 chassis as agreed to by IMSA and the ACO. They may diverge more than originally anticipated but if they do the base will remain the same (tub, crash boxes), just a modernized DP.

L.P.
Old 4 Feb 2016, 23:26 (Ref:3611715)   #2807
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
nah.

that just makes the GT3 cars needlessly expensive.

they have their place.
Actually, strange though it may seem, the costs wouldn't go up as much as you think. Under this idea, close to 90% of the car would be unchanged. That's why the rumor about Super GT got widespread enough for both series to need to comment on it - GT3 is an excellent base to build such a thing off of without stratospheric costs. Theoretically, you could do this and make the entire car barely any more expensive than the current GT3 cars.

However....

Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post
No, they shouldn't. The DPi will be built off of the 4 chassis as agreed to by IMSA and the ACO. They may diverge more than originally anticipated but if they do the base will remain the same (tub, crash boxes), just a modernized DP.
I, personally, feel a "Super GT3" type class would be better suited to PWC than IMSA.

While IMSA could make the class work, they'd have to do more than just supplant the P class with it - such a change effects the entire identity of the series(switching to a GT-derived top class would make LMPC seem out of place, for one thing), and such a significant shift is not something to go into needlessly.

On the other hand, rumors that PWC wants to start a prototype class(usually CN-based) pop up fairly often. A prototype class, no matter how sensible, would be an odd addition to PWC given it's history - particularly if it were the top class, which would surely annoy the current GT runners. But if the top GT class used "Super GT3" and GTA used straight GT3 cars, the top runners who don't like being on close ground with the Am class would be happy to get separation without having to buy an entirely new car, the Ams get to keep the GT3 cars they love, and switching away from "Super GT3" should it start to fade in popularity would be an insanely simple task.

GT3's meteoric growth is going to end soon. It can only grow so far. I bet the GT3 manufacturers would love this idea if it meant they could sell more cars built off the same platform.
Old 5 Feb 2016, 00:25 (Ref:3611732)   #2808
Rcz
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Actually, strange though it may seem, the costs wouldn't go up as much as you think. Under this idea, close to 90% of the car would be unchanged. That's why the rumor about Super GT got widespread enough for both series to need to comment on it - GT3 is an excellent base to build such a thing off of without stratospheric costs. Theoretically, you could do this and make the entire car barely any more expensive than the current GT3 cars.

However....

I, personally, feel a "Super GT3" type class would be better suited to PWC than IMSA.

While IMSA could make the class work, they'd have to do more than just supplant the P class with it - such a change effects the entire identity of the series(switching to a GT-derived top class would make LMPC seem out of place, for one thing), and such a significant shift is not something to go into needlessly.

On the other hand, rumors that PWC wants to start a prototype class(usually CN-based) pop up fairly often. A prototype class, no matter how sensible, would be an odd addition to PWC given it's history - particularly if it were the top class, which would surely annoy the current GT runners. But if the top GT class used "Super GT3" and GTA used straight GT3 cars, the top runners who don't like being on close ground with the Am class would be happy to get separation without having to buy an entirely new car, the Ams get to keep the GT3 cars they love, and switching away from "Super GT3" should it start to fade in popularity would be an insanely simple task.

GT3's meteoric growth is going to end soon. It can only grow so far. I bet the GT3 manufacturers would love this idea if it meant they could sell more cars built off the same platform.

But then wouldn't that break the importance to the international scene for the PWC? Namely the FIA/SRO connection they been fermenting

And CN car in PWC? Why would anyone consider it? Small Protoype I feel have a place in America but it isn't there. CN cars would be better off in IMSA lites or some SCCA equivalent.
Old 5 Feb 2016, 00:48 (Ref:3611733)   #2809
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcz View Post
But then wouldn't that break the importance to the international scene for the PWC? Namely the FIA/SRO connection they been fermenting
That would depend entirely on how the SRO and the FIA felt about it. And if the manufacturers wanted it, I have my doubts they'd just sit there and not see about accommodating the idea. Unfortunately, that's the key issue with the idea - if the manufacturers for some reason don't like it(which I doubt - I'm sure they'd love to have an excuse to sell MORE cars at a minimal development cost!), it's DOA.

Quote:
And CN car in PWC? Why would anyone consider it? Small Protoype I feel have a place in America but it isn't there. CN cars would be better off in IMSA lites or some SCCA equivalent.
CN is just the most common one brought up. Some have even posed they'd run full ACO-spec LMP2.

A lot of people who want to see a prototype class in PWC view the series a similar light to the Supercar Challenge in Europe - they run a pair of CN-type proto classes under their "Superlights" division, and they're not the fastest class in the lineup.

Anyhow, we've gotten off-topic here. Unless someone has more to say about the idea of "Super GT3" in IMSA it's probably time to move on.
Old 5 Feb 2016, 01:51 (Ref:3611747)   #2810
Danathar
Racer

Danathar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

L.P.
NOT a modernized DP. A modernized P2. There is nothing similar between the DPi and DP except the first to letters in the designation.
Old 5 Feb 2016, 02:09 (Ref:3611748)   #2811
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danathar View Post
NOT a modernized DP. A modernized P2. There is nothing similar between the DPi and DP except the first to letters in the designation.
Except for OEM bodywork and engines in/on dedicated mfg chassis as well as the original 4 designated mfg own cars. Almost exactly like DP.

L.P.
Old 5 Feb 2016, 07:12 (Ref:3611790)   #2812
Ephaeton
Veteran

Austria
Between Österreichring and Nordschleife
Ephaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
wow it seems more important what the thing is going to be called than what it consists of.

That, ladies and gentlemen, is the essence of marketing.

Two groups defending/fighting over a name that mirrors their heritage/carry-over hatred...
Old 5 Feb 2016, 07:38 (Ref:3611797)   #2813
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!
I don't recall being production based ever being mentioned as a requirement for DPi in the first place. For GM's part I doubt they'd want to spend money on an all new engine anyways.
Old 5 Feb 2016, 07:47 (Ref:3611801)   #2814
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephaeton View Post
wow it seems more important what the thing is going to be called than what it consists of.

That, ladies and gentlemen, is the essence of marketing.

Two groups defending/fighting over a name that mirrors their heritage/carry-over hatred...
That is a comical observation, and as incorrect as can be! Had you just paid attention to my avatar you would of had a clue as to what my 'heritage' is, and yet I have no problem whatsoever with it being called DPi or compared to a DP.

L.P.
Old 5 Feb 2016, 08:56 (Ref:3611808)   #2815
Ephaeton
Veteran

Austria
Between Österreichring and Nordschleife
Ephaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
That is a comical observation, and as incorrect as can be! Had you just paid attention to my avatar you would of had a clue as to what my 'heritage' is, and yet I have no problem whatsoever with it being called DPi or compared to a DP.

L.P.
comical is that you would feel that I was referring to you.
From day one you seem to have seen the tag and the content, and been correcting everybody since who mistagged the content or assumed another content under the "DPi" tag.
No no no, I wasn't referring to you, HORNDAWG.
Old 5 Feb 2016, 09:37 (Ref:3611817)   #2816
Rcz
Veteran

United States
I don't care why they want to call it DPi. For egotistical reason, probably, but while sportcars has history with the track. Daytona will always be associated with stock cars. Just like how The Indy Speedway is always will be associated with open wheel cars. Sure you could put a 48 hour race there, but people will always think of the Indy 500 event vs any other event there. Trying to compare your event (the Daytona 24) to LeMans is just dumb and narcissistic.

Just call it GTP, it has history with IMSA, and the Prototypes are going to have GT3 engine with aero that may make them more GT like right.
Old 5 Feb 2016, 09:42 (Ref:3611818)   #2817
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Anyone else felt watching Daytona, that the LMPC teams must feel themselves pretty worthless (almost as much as most of us here) Don't think FOX even mentioned them in broadcast until 5 minutes in the race. Zero inserts, zero features, no TV time . On top of that the crap performance of the ancient FLM09.

The only reason to race this year, apart from making cash with rent rides, will be Lime Rock with the headlining FOX Network broadcast.
Old 5 Feb 2016, 09:48 (Ref:3611820)   #2818
Rcz
Veteran

United States
Those sponser in PC must be writing some big checks to get thier race on FOX.

It's most certainly the most unpopular class in the series. I rather have them get replaced with GTS from the PWC series.
Old 5 Feb 2016, 11:18 (Ref:3611836)   #2819
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
Anyone else felt watching Daytona, that the LMPC teams must feel themselves pretty worthless (almost as much as most of us here) Don't think FOX even mentioned them in broadcast until 5 minutes in the race. Zero inserts, zero features, no TV time . On top of that the crap performance of the ancient FLM09.

The only reason to race this year, apart from making cash with rent rides, will be Lime Rock with the headlining FOX Network broadcast.

Maybe unpopular choice here, but I think they should have gone with LMP3 as the new LMPC.... It's the future, maybe pull out the spec engine and let them get a little faster than GTD
Old 5 Feb 2016, 12:20 (Ref:3611859)   #2820
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcarr6 View Post
Maybe unpopular choice here, but I think they should have gone with LMP3 as the new LMPC.... It's the future, maybe pull out the spec engine and let them get a little faster than GTD
I feel like Matt in posting this, but

Old 5 Feb 2016, 12:20 (Ref:3611860)   #2821
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm gonna go back on topic with regards to Nissan joining DPi in 2017.

I don't know if I'll get mad that they gone so low by fielding a prototype with their LMP1 engine, but I hope that having Nissan joining DPi will have a future for the top class even though it might stray away from ACO.
Old 5 Feb 2016, 12:34 (Ref:3611867)   #2822
Deleted
Veteran

But according to FOX telecast and IMSA, there already was a "Nissan Prototype " at Daytona, you know the SMP BR01
Old 5 Feb 2016, 12:58 (Ref:3611876)   #2823
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
But according to FOX telecast and IMSA, there already was a "Nissan Prototype " at Daytona, you know the SMP BR01
I totally forgot about the "Manufacturers first, Chassis Constructor second" prototype name. Silly me!
Old 5 Feb 2016, 15:28 (Ref:3611958)   #2824
BullMan
Veteran

BullMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Except for OEM bodywork and engines in/on dedicated mfg chassis as well as the original 4 designated mfg own cars. Almost exactly like DP.

L.P.
Not really. One DP in their history had "manufacturer bodywork." The IMSA P2 is just that, an updated P2. Based on P2 chassis.
Old 5 Feb 2016, 15:38 (Ref:3611968)   #2825
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
There were two manufacture bodyworks in the IMSA era of the DP.

Ford and Chevrolet.