Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 6 Feb 2016, 02:04 (Ref:3612226)   #2876
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoestForEver View Post
Don't want to bring up the topic again, but honestly, if I have ever had any axe to grind on the DPs, the Corvette DP has done a great job negating that. Ford should really learn from GM how to make manufacturer-specific bodywork cool.
Agreed the Corvette DP has always been an impressive car. Speed, Reliability, Looks. It has it all. i will miss that car at the end of this year. The C7 look in particular is great. Too bad nobody could match it. It is the only DP I ever liked.
Old 6 Feb 2016, 02:11 (Ref:3612229)   #2877
DistortedSmile
Racer

Spain
DistortedSmile should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDistortedSmile should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDistortedSmile should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullMan View Post
One last shot of the new DP. I hope this meets your critical standards for photography in a video game.

Sorry for the off topic but I think it's hilarious how the Diesel Lola Mazda and the Nissan LMP1 have better stats than the Rebellion R-One and other P1 cars in Forza 6. Hardly the only retarded thing about that game though.
Old 6 Feb 2016, 02:24 (Ref:3612232)   #2878
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoestForEver View Post
Don't want to bring up the topic again, but honestly, if I have ever had any axe to grind on the DPs, the Corvette DP has done a great job negating that. Ford should really learn from GM how to make manufacturer-specific bodywork cool.
The Corvette DP is gorgeous. Sounds amazing as well. It was like GTP 2.0 and I will miss it dearly as well.
Old 6 Feb 2016, 02:27 (Ref:3612233)   #2879
Rcz
Veteran

United States
Rcz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like the Vette DP too. I wish the late 90s GT1 would comeback because of it. The Porsche, Mercedes, and the Panoz Batmobile. It would fit right in there.
Old 6 Feb 2016, 03:39 (Ref:3612255)   #2880
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistortedSmile View Post
Sorry for the off topic but I think it's hilarious how the Diesel Lola Mazda and the Nissan LMP1 have better stats than the Rebellion R-One and other P1 cars in Forza 6. Hardly the only retarded thing about that game though.
Well, if they'd measured the Nissan AFTER the upgrades it had just prior to it's plug being pulled they could realistically rate it the same as the Rebellion(since it was right near it's performance range), but as it is...

Gran Turismo may have some issues translating their real-world data into the game(I've lost count of how many FWD cars in GT5 were capable of POWER OVERSTEER), but at least GT uses real-world data for the in-game cars.

It has been said that Forza is realistic if the real cars were all on insanely sticky tires, and Gran Turismo is realistic if the real cars were all on brick-hard tires.

This makes Gran Turismo the more realistic of the two, IMO.
Old 8 Feb 2016, 00:36 (Ref:3612914)   #2881
Rcz
Veteran

United States
I know I said this last year but I wish they put a race in between Daytona and Sebring. Maybe they can race at St. Petersburg with indycars or something. More then one month between races is too long.
Old 8 Feb 2016, 02:40 (Ref:3612946)   #2882
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcz View Post
I know I said this last year but I wish they put a race in between Daytona and Sebring. Maybe they can race at St. Petersburg with indycars or something. More then one month between races is too long.
These are 24 and 12 hour races we are talking about so I don't think there is room financially for another event in the middle. The schedule is mostly fine but two things I hope will happen still are:

1. Laguna Seca to become split class races. I prefer GTLM/GTD and P/LMPC. But if we get P/GTLM. Thats ok I guess.

2. Either take LMPC out of Lime Rock or do the next best thing which is restrict their fuel capacity so they have to make an extra stop and help improve the GTLM class changes of overall victory. This is a FOX network race. The only one. GTLM needs to be the marquee class here.
Old 8 Feb 2016, 03:12 (Ref:3612954)   #2883
Lanky Turtle
Veteran

Lanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephaeton View Post
Why not take this a step further and just cut the cars in half .. which belong together? which is which car? The fronts are different enough, yet not memorable enough for me to recognize them without help (i.e., spotters guide or the like)

OMG look at the back of those P2 cars. Look at them!
I do like what Dragonspeed is doing with their new Oreca. Kind of breaks up the fin a bit.

Quote:
ALMS used to race St. Pete when it was a couple weeks after Sebring, but I don't think teams would want a second race in there, especially the week before Sebring. I think the schedule starts as it should for American sportscar racing. Daytona, then Sebring.
Old 8 Feb 2016, 04:01 (Ref:3612977)   #2884
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Maybe Sebring could be closer to Daytona, but March seems like a perfect time.
Old 8 Feb 2016, 04:34 (Ref:3612981)   #2885
Rcz
Veteran

United States
I guess I could say "back in the good old days" and then say something about Miami, but of course it's different now.

But I still think having such a big gap between the races isn't good for the series. But hey, if they race at St. Pertersburg, it's in the same state as Daytona and Sebring. So it's not tremendously far.

GTD can stay home since the PWC GT3 cars are there. So it would be a P,PC, and GTLM race.
Old 8 Feb 2016, 05:01 (Ref:3612989)   #2886
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Back in the good old days, Don Panoz was putting his money where his mouth is with the ALMS and Audi and Porsche were in the series full time with prototype entries. Of course, we all know then that Don cut his own funding to the ALMS and IMSA--both of which he was the owner of--and Audi and Porsche bailed on the ALMS citing ROI vs spending.

Ironically, both Audi and Porsche have been critical of the WEC for much the same thing, which is the series relying on OEMs to fund and especially advertise the series when it's partially at least the series' responsibility. But even that hasn't, at least yet, lead them to threaten to pull out of the series nor reduce to a significant amount how much their motorsports and R&D divisions are spending on LMP1. Mostly because the WEC is the only serious place they can run LMP1 cars.

But on the topic of IMSA having a race between Daytona and Sebring, which place is viable? IMSA hasn't had any interest in racing at St. Petersburg since 2009. You also can't really have a big endurance race since the first two races are the longest of the season. And we do have to remember that this is still the dead of winter. Not too many places in North America have decent weather for racing in Feb/first half of March.
Old 8 Feb 2016, 05:43 (Ref:3612998)   #2887
Mike Hedlund
Veteran

United States
Redwood City, CA
Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
But hey, if they race at St. Pertersburg, it's in the same state as Daytona and Sebring. So it's not tremendously far.
It's not a distance thing. Every car that races at the Daytona 24 needs to be completely rebuilt before their next race (assuming they run most of the race).

-mike
Old 8 Feb 2016, 06:04 (Ref:3613007)   #2888
Rcz
Veteran

United States
Well I guess your right, even though this is a rich man sport, you still need money and sponsers, and IMSA isn't there yet, if it ever does get there that is. It just feels like a sense of momentum is lost.

Maybe some time later if those factories actually get involved with Prototypes and put some money in the sport.

And those PC teams always complain about not getting enough races, so they wouldn't complain too much.

Guess it's a good thing I like other racing series.
Old 10 Feb 2016, 16:26 (Ref:3613691)   #2889
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!
Next year, with the (HPD?*) IMSA P2s aka DPi runners using larger engines, we'll probably face the same stand off in WTCS between those cars and the new ACO P2s as we recently did with the current DPs vs. current P2s (if those ACO P2s actually show up which is hard to tell at this point).

It might be even more complicated as the current P2s are still eligible in 2017:

3 different flavors:
- DPi (IMSA P2 with OEM parts)
- ACO spec P2
- current P2 coupes ('14-'16)

Throw in Daytona's unique characteristics and IMSA's new BoP model will have its work cut out for it!

* assuming ESM used the bigger HPD 3.5L engine for their Rolex victory.
Old 10 Feb 2016, 16:42 (Ref:3613700)   #2890
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
They did
Old 10 Feb 2016, 18:47 (Ref:3613749)   #2891
BullMan
Veteran

BullMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
Next year, with the (HPD?*) IMSA P2s aka DPi runners using larger engines, we'll probably face the same stand off in WTCS between those cars and the new ACO P2s as we recently did with the current DPs vs. current P2s (if those ACO P2s actually show up which is hard to tell at this point).

It might be even more complicated as the current P2s are still eligible in 2017:

3 different flavors:
- DPi (IMSA P2 with OEM parts)
- ACO spec P2
- current P2 coupes ('14-'16)

Throw in Daytona's unique characteristics and IMSA's new BoP model will have its work cut out for it!

IMSA said they will allow 2016 P2s, but they won't be BoP'd at all. The 2017 cars are supposed to be faster, so it will be a disadvantage to run a current P2.

That said, when the last Grand-Am gen DPs showed up, they made sure to put wickers and other things on the old DPs to make sure they weren't going to beat any of the new cars.
Old 10 Feb 2016, 19:46 (Ref:3613779)   #2892
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
IMSA said they will allow 2016 P2s, but they won't be BoP'd at all. The 2017 cars are supposed to be faster, so it will be a disadvantage to run a current P2.
Makes sense from a speed pov.

Quote:
That said, when the last Grand-Am gen DPs showed up, they made sure to put wickers and other things on the old DPs to make sure they weren't going to beat any of the new cars.
Not gonna happen with the current P2s, they're not a Daytona 'brainchild'.
Old 10 Feb 2016, 19:56 (Ref:3613781)   #2893
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Let's run the GTO/GTU cars at St Pete!
Old 10 Feb 2016, 23:03 (Ref:3613831)   #2894
BrentJackson
Racer

Canada
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
BrentJackson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBrentJackson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Let's run the GTO/GTU cars at St Pete!
I suspect the World Challenge boys may not like that too much.

Also, GTO/GTU? Huh?
Old 11 Feb 2016, 01:03 (Ref:3613860)   #2895
FLGTFAN
Racer

United States
Naples, Florida
FLGTFAN has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentJackson View Post
I suspect the World Challenge boys may not like that too much.

Also, GTO/GTU? Huh?
That's his lame attempt at humor.
Old 11 Feb 2016, 01:04 (Ref:3613861)   #2896
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
GT Over some engine size, GT Under some engine size.
Old 11 Feb 2016, 16:15 (Ref:3613991)   #2897
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLGTFAN View Post
That's his lame attempt at humor.
GTO = GTLM
GTU = GTD.

I just prefer the old IMSA and early 00's GA nomenclature.

It's what it should be now, dammit!
Old 12 Feb 2016, 23:36 (Ref:3614332)   #2898
Rcz
Veteran

United States
But really wouldn't make since many of the GT3 car overlap with GTLM.

I would like to see a smaller engine GT class however.
Old 13 Feb 2016, 16:24 (Ref:3614418)   #2899
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
GTO = GTLM
GTU = GTD.

I just prefer the old IMSA and early 00's GA nomenclature.

It's what it should be now, dammit!
Right. Make it more confusing than what it already is.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 13 Feb 2016, 18:22 (Ref:3614439)   #2900
schmidder
Racer

United States
Folsom, CA
schmidder should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
O and U stood for over and under a certain displacement was it 4 or 5 liters? wouldn't translate to gtlm and gtd/gt3.