Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 11 Mar 2009, 19:11 (Ref:2413815)   #276
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
it was full of R8's, minis, Anglias, NSU, BMW . . .theres loads of 50's-70's cars . . . smaller cars where the norm back then, how often did you see a yank tank on european roads . . . .
Quite often actually especially if you lived near a US airbase. I had my share of them in yof!
Old 11 Mar 2009, 19:58 (Ref:2413845)   #277
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Not even that many around my house when I was young and we were in the middle of four USAF bases in the over sexed,over paid and over here days.Assume Al is a youngster.Only V8 I can remember is a V8 Pilot owned by local butcher.
Old 11 Mar 2009, 20:21 (Ref:2413858)   #278
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I think later on they were allowed to bring their cars over with them I bought a notch back Mustang off one of them years ago, Essex area has always been a a haven for the yank enthusiast. there was also plenty on the continent and I shipped one or two in, a 428 Cobra Jet manual trans Mustang and a 289 Fast back were two, they also came originally off the bases. I also used to work for Mullard Vehicles in Edgware who used to buy F100 Ford V8 trucks and other yank vehicls off the airbases and I rebuilt one or two which is how I originally got into the things!
Old 11 Mar 2009, 20:27 (Ref:2413862)   #279
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Mustang was even thought of when I was a kid!
Old 12 Mar 2009, 11:55 (Ref:2414221)   #280
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
and that was late 60's right John

I'm suprised no ones done a Ford Pilot for Goodwood with Mustang running gear in a Grey Lady stylee . . . . I saw one in Shoreham last year and thought of it . . .
Old 12 Mar 2009, 12:38 (Ref:2414247)   #281
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
I started renovating a V8 Pilot once with the old Ford Flathead lump. Got it all painted up, rechromed everything and left the interior for some 'mate' to do who took all the door cards away and a few other things and promptly disappeared with me money and worse still all the parts! I had to sell it at a big loss as an unfinished project, big shame. Had some odd things on it as I recollect, I am sure it had built in hydraulic jacks and the water pump was set into the cylinder block like later cars to come.
Old 13 Mar 2009, 21:47 (Ref:2415202)   #282
Podd37
Racer

Ireland
Dublin
Podd37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
I can think of things like the AlfaSud (if there's any left) and the Mini GT, but what others are there? (Thinking early seventies here). The MG1300 springs to mind and the Alfa GT Junior. There's the early small Datsuns, but what are the regs? Production or Gp2?
Fiat 850/ 127/128 (Ritmo using a '79 cutoff), various Alfa's, NSU, Mini's, Renault 5, Simca Rallye, Audi 50, VW Polo. Lots of stuff was small in the 70's, and most countries had a national series for small cars or a 1300 class in their Nat Saloon series.
In Maxi1000 the cars are a kind of Grp1.5, no mad arches, huge wheels or the like, steel panels but perspex allowed, engines, G/boxs are usual stuff, twin carbs/proper heads etc. suspension pick up points must remain and be used but coilovers allowed. I am of the impression that the rules are free enough but it doesn't seem to be abused. FIA papers are not necessary but lots of different cars seem to win over a season so I don't think anyone is cheating as such. Maybe not for the purist but the racing seems very good.
Some pics here http://www.tropheemaxi1000.com/
Old 14 Mar 2009, 08:06 (Ref:2415352)   #283
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
good honest competitors get good honest racing, Like FJ seems to be
Old 16 Mar 2009, 13:34 (Ref:2416669)   #284
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
good honest competitors get good honest racing, Like FJ seems to be
Are you thinking about racing in FJ then Zef
Old 16 Mar 2009, 18:56 (Ref:2416862)   #285
esper
Veteran

Netherlands
nl
esper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
and that was late 60's right John

I'm suprised no ones done a Ford Pilot for Goodwood with Mustang running gear in a Grey Lady stylee . . . . I saw one in Shoreham last year and thought of it . . .
If you make the scruts believe the mustang engine is a flathead I buy one and we race it! (Or we could put a big compressor on top of the falthead and tell them that
Old 17 Mar 2009, 10:41 (Ref:2417266)   #286
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Are you thinking about racing in FJ then Zef
If I could affor done and get in one maybe yes!
Old 19 Mar 2009, 08:55 (Ref:2419023)   #287
Bosse L
Rookie

Sweden
Sweden
Bosse L should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by L-G Sjöberg View Post
Bosse,

Going to Brands Hatch last year, I used the DFDS from Esbjerg to Harwich. Cost-wise, I think it works out about the same as driving the long way and then crossing the Channel, especially if one considers that one saves one hotel night.

There is also a freighter from Göteborg to Immingham which accepts a limited number of passengers and cars including trailers. Check with Peter Kumlin. He has used that on a couple of occassions.

Hälsningar
L-G
Thanks for advice L-G!
Esbjerg; I have look little for, and I agree, it will be near at cost compared to drive to Calais.
The Freighter from gotenburg I will for check up for sure.
Old 21 Mar 2009, 18:44 (Ref:2421289)   #288
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

2950 pounds,Entry Fee for 40 min Pre 24 Hr race at Le Mans.Practice Thursday then race Sat morning.Sports Cars 49 to 65.That must set some sort of record for costs per min.
Old 21 Mar 2009, 19:03 (Ref:2421321)   #289
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
While people are prepared to still pay it they will charge it, vote with you feet and say non as that is a ridiculous fee!
Old 21 Mar 2009, 22:30 (Ref:2421538)   #290
Bosse L
Rookie

Sweden
Sweden
Bosse L should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Le Mans is allways nice, but Ill think I need a new f sponsor to get there this year too with that level.
Our Saab 93 Le Mans replica was in its orignal raced there for exactly 50 years ago, så the feeling to be there just this year would be big, but we tray to get back at Le Mans Classic in 2010 instead.
My race calendar for this year seems to be a little bit comprimated, with
The Swedish historic Rally to the midnigth sun, Eifelrennen. I also try to make a singel race in England if possible. All good advices given here inspirate me al lot. May be it can be one race in the Swedish historic racing sewrie too, but not sure.
Beside this i will be involved in modern enudrance racing at national level, but thats is a another story...
Old 21 Mar 2009, 23:01 (Ref:2421567)   #291
Finn
Racer

Finn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podd37 View Post
Fiat 850/ 127/128 (Ritmo using a '79 cutoff), various Alfa's, NSU, Mini's, Renault 5, Simca Rallye, Audi 50, VW Polo. Lots of stuff was small in the 70's, and most countries had a national series for small cars or a 1300 class in their Nat Saloon series.
In Maxi1000 the cars are a kind of Grp1.5, no mad arches, huge wheels or the like, steel panels but perspex allowed, engines, G/boxs are usual stuff, twin carbs/proper heads etc. suspension pick up points must remain and be used but coilovers allowed. I am of the impression that the rules are free enough but it doesn't seem to be abused. FIA papers are not necessary but lots of different cars seem to win over a season so I don't think anyone is cheating as such. Maybe not for the purist but the racing seems very good.
Some pics here http://www.tropheemaxi1000.com/
Do you have any race dates for this year?

As there isn't a series like this in the UK I may look to race with the maxi bunch at somepoint.
Old 22 Mar 2009, 08:13 (Ref:2421838)   #292
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Bosse bring the Saab over to the Classic Touring Car Racing Club event at Lydden this year as you will get to race against 2 or 3 other Saab 2 strokes and it will be a double header for £200 for the pre 66 cars so not bad value and just across the channel. Something can be done about the club membership fees if you want to d a one off race with us.
Old 23 Mar 2009, 02:58 (Ref:2422399)   #293
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
2950 pounds,Entry Fee for 40 min Pre 24 Hr race at Le Mans.Practice Thursday then race Sat morning.Sports Cars 49 to 65.That must set some sort of record for costs per min.
I was told last night that this will possibly be the very last opportunity to race a "Non Original" LM car there.A very high price to pay for the priviledge!!.The grid will be interesting,so will the panic to fill it!
Old 23 Mar 2009, 09:34 (Ref:2422542)   #294
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Did you see Octane this month Terry, all about MGB's.
Old 23 Mar 2009, 11:04 (Ref:2422598)   #295
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

They will fill grid with decent cars at Le Mans .The Europeans want to play and there are very few opportunities to race at full circuit.Don't know where you got that story from TB but like many bar stories it probably wrong.
Old 23 Mar 2009, 11:26 (Ref:2422618)   #296
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
They will fill grid with decent cars at Le Mans .The Europeans want to play and there are very few opportunities to race at full circuit.Don't know where you got that story from TB but like many bar stories it probably wrong.

Bar? Me? Wrong bloke John,It came from someone who is in regular contact with the ACO,also owns an ex LM car.

I thought that was last months Al?
Old 23 Mar 2009, 12:02 (Ref:2422653)   #297
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Probably is but as a subscriber mine only arrived Friday! Has a B that looks like yours on the front page.
Old 23 Mar 2009, 12:07 (Ref:2422661)   #298
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
it is this months - Terry is confusing it with Motorsport. Its what happens when you read them in Smiths!!!
Al I am surprised that you subscribe to something as frivolous as Octane - I thought ot was only poseurs like me that enjoyed it!!!!
Old 23 Mar 2009, 12:20 (Ref:2422666)   #299
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble View Post
I thought ot was only poseurs like me that enjoyed it!!!!
Ooh, er, um, mphllepphll.!

Ok I'll say nothing.

Old 23 Mar 2009, 12:26 (Ref:2422675)   #300
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm a subscriber, Simon. It shows me the lifestyle I could/should have aspired to but is too late, now! There is inevitable duplication between Motor Sport and Octane which is no doubt why Motor Sport is drifting back to greater coverage of modern F1, unfortunately. I wish one of these two would pick up the Historic Racing Today baton and run with it properly instead of just dabbling at it. Mind you, I'm sure they would say that sales figures would then sink without trace. I suppose I ought to move these recent posts to the 'lighter side'.