Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 19 May 2008, 15:23 (Ref:2206540)   #276
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1969MGCGTdriver
Would be nice to get one of the "A" squad drivers back. Nothing against the guys driving now but Nishy is definately at a different level. Does that mean Audi have conceded the LMS to Pugeot and decided it's time to get serious here in ALMS?
If that's the case, wouldn't Pirro's seat also be up for grabs, since Allan would probably want Dindo to come along?
Old 19 May 2008, 15:32 (Ref:2206550)   #277
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It does kinda surprise me they would concede so quick. Think it may have more to do with McNish not liking the LMS tracks in the R10? And if they do leave/transfer drivers without testing the new aero doesn't seem like an racing thing to do.
Old 19 May 2008, 15:41 (Ref:2206555)   #278
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Aren't all Audi drivers supposed to be testing the new aero package for LM/ALMS/LMS? And it's possible that McNish and Capello could do double duty between the ALMS and LMS, as there's only two more LMS races, and they don't clash with ALMS dates.

I also think that it's not McNish not liking the R10 at the Euro track, maybe he just doesn't like the Euro tracks period, as most are F1 circuits that have been neutred by the request of Max Mosley and Bernie Eccostone? Spa, Monza, and Silverstone are the only "real man's" tracks in Europe, but they're no Road America or Mosport or Road Atlanta.

Also, Biela and Pirro(especially Pirro) have been under pressure from their wives and kids to semi retire or retire from full time racing. Audi will hold on on to Frankie and Emanuele, as they're great ambassadors for the brand, but their time as far as racing for Audi full time definently may be running out.
Old 19 May 2008, 16:03 (Ref:2206571)   #279
NightStalk3r
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wiltshire, England
NightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IMO Audi have nothing left to race for in the ALMS, there practically alone in LMP1 and getting crushed by the LMP2 cars, so why take your best drivers back there when in the LMS they have tons of competition in LMP1 and another Factory Diesel team to prove they can beat.
Old 19 May 2008, 16:35 (Ref:2206594)   #280
Zurbert82
Veteran

United States
Pittsburgh
Zurbert82 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightStalk3r
IMO Audi have nothing left to race for in the ALMS, there practically alone in LMP1 and getting crushed by the LMP2 cars, so why take your best drivers back there when in the LMS they have tons of competition in LMP1 and another Factory Diesel team to prove they can beat.
There are no more conflicting LMS/ALMS weekends, so why not bring McNish back? He can still duke it out with Peugeot and the other factory P1's in the LMS while doing the same with the P2's in the ALMS. Hopefully this rumor is true.

Last edited by Zurbert82; 19 May 2008 at 16:39.
Old 19 May 2008, 16:42 (Ref:2206607)   #281
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Getting crushed? Hardly. 2/4 this year thus far in the ALMS overall, and with the pace to win at Sebring if reliability had not let them down. I don't really get this 'more competition in LMP1' argument for the LMS either. They rest of the pack beyond the Peugeots are no more competitive relative to them than Intersport in the ALMS. At least in the ALMS there are some 10 cars that can compete for overall victory, so 8 valid opponents to the Audi.
Old 19 May 2008, 17:08 (Ref:2206619)   #282
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It isn't a level playing field, Audi are being penalised for building a car for overall wins.

To add insult to injury GT1 and GT2 aren't performance balanced, would GM walk away if Porsche and Ferrari were beating them?

Let's hope Acura go to P1 in 2009.
Old 19 May 2008, 17:33 (Ref:2206640)   #283
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Audi Marketing in North America.
Old 19 May 2008, 17:51 (Ref:2206650)   #284
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Can somebody please explain something to me .

A fuel cell is a bag tank , right ? Meaning that it is basically a rubber tank , manufactured to a given dimension , and is supported by the surrounding structure of the fuel cell bay . How can it be oversize , unless its manufactured to an oversize dimension , or can it strech ?!?!?

Im sorry , its gone over my head .
Old 19 May 2008, 17:52 (Ref:2206651)   #285
NightStalk3r
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wiltshire, England
NightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Audi Marketing in North America.
Being Beaten by the "Slower" P2 class cars would put me off buying an Audi.
Old 19 May 2008, 17:59 (Ref:2206657)   #286
Zurbert82
Veteran

United States
Pittsburgh
Zurbert82 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They're not slower at every track
Old 19 May 2008, 18:09 (Ref:2206666)   #287
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger
Can somebody please explain something to me .

A fuel cell is a bag tank , right ? Meaning that it is basically a rubber tank , manufactured to a given dimension , and is supported by the surrounding structure of the fuel cell bay . How can it be oversize , unless its manufactured to an oversize dimension , or can it strech ?!?!?

Im sorry , its gone over my head .
I believe youre right there, the only thing I can think of is not enough foam in the cell box surrounding the cell itself or an improperly sourced part at the factory. Was it a newly delivered car, maybe a GT3 Cup cell installed by mistake or manufacturing defect at the original plant. I know it's not really a concern of IMSA but I'm sure it will get Porsche's attention if it is a bad part.
Old 19 May 2008, 18:31 (Ref:2206680)   #288
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
It isn't for IMSA to determine whether the out of specification part was intentional, or a manufacturer error. The bottom line is it was out of spec, and a penalty has been rightly issued. The team will likely learn from this mistake, and measure their tanks before installation in the future.
Old 19 May 2008, 18:34 (Ref:2206682)   #289
1969MGCGTdriver
Racer

United States
Orlando, FL, USA
1969MGCGTdriver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Except for the fact that they were given performance breaks in order to allow them to beat the P1s.
Old 19 May 2008, 19:31 (Ref:2206708)   #290
NightStalk3r
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wiltshire, England
Quote:
Except for the fact that they were given performance breaks in order to allow them to beat the P1s.
Your average Joe that Audi Marketing is targeting wouldn't know that tho.
Old 19 May 2008, 19:34 (Ref:2206709)   #291
prototype
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, Georgia
prototype should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund
It isn't for IMSA to determine whether the out of specification part was intentional, or a manufacturer error. The bottom line is it was out of spec, and a penalty has been rightly issued. The team will likely learn from this mistake, and measure their tanks before installation in the future.
What is scrutineering for then?

I thought items like this were caught in scrutineering so we didn't have issues like this creep up.
Old 19 May 2008, 19:37 (Ref:2206716)   #292
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
I suppose it is how you look at it. The reality is that the ACO has penalized the P2's, for being too fast. So, there hasn't been performance breaks, as much as there has been performance penalties. Similarly, IMSA has reduced the performance potential of the LMP2 category two years in a row, though this year they didn't go as far as the ACO did.

I suppose you could say that in the American Le Mans Series, the LMP2 category has breaks, they don't get in the Le Mans Series and Le Mans itself, at least breaks in penalties received this year.
Old 19 May 2008, 19:42 (Ref:2206723)   #293
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
But they aren't always beaten. And if there are interesting battles for the win, the series gets more viewers, which might be more useful from a marketing point of view than constant walkovers that nobody watches
Old 19 May 2008, 19:45 (Ref:2206729)   #294
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by prototype
What is scrutineering for then?

I thought items like this were caught in scrutineering so we didn't have issues like this creep up.
Scrutineering happens at the beginning of the race weekend. Components be changed over the course of a weekend, can stress or break, or containers can change in volume depending on temperature. This is of course why cars are inspected after the race as well.

Still, it isn't IMSA's responsibility to ensure a car meets the rules, it is the teams.
Old 19 May 2008, 20:59 (Ref:2206794)   #295
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund
I suppose it is how you look at it. The reality is that the ACO has penalized the P2's, for being too fast. So, there hasn't been performance breaks, as much as there has been performance penalties. Similarly, IMSA has reduced the performance potential of the LMP2 category two years in a row, though this year they didn't go as far as the ACO did.

I suppose you could say that in the American Le Mans Series, the LMP2 category has breaks, they don't get in the Le Mans Series and Le Mans itself, at least breaks in penalties received this year.
In the ALMS I don't actually mind P2's being as quick as P2's, but Audi continually show a clean pair of heals to them, then have to pit for fuel.

It feels like they're being cheated of a well deseved win.

I also miss the lack of distinct class battles, the ALMS ATM is effectively a two class series.
Old 19 May 2008, 21:03 (Ref:2206803)   #296
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
dxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
I also miss the lack of distinct class battles, the ALMS ATM is effectively a two class series.
There was actually a hint of a P1 class battle for about 15 minutes as the Intersport Lola was able to mix it up with the Audis for the early laps. They actually even got between the two Audis for awhile. Wouldn't it be nice to be able to see them do that for a whole race?

DK
Old 19 May 2008, 21:15 (Ref:2206820)   #297
KSR88
Rookie

United States
California
KSR88 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
In the ALMS I don't actually mind P2's being as quick as P2's, but Audi continually show a clean pair of heals to them, then have to pit for fuel.

It feels like they're being cheated of a well deseved win.

Audi has lost this year due to poor race management and poor driving decisions-----both in LMS and ALMS. Wreck-a-racers seldom win endurance type races. Penske has won races with slower cars than even the Acuras!
Old 19 May 2008, 21:18 (Ref:2206826)   #298
porsche45
Racer

United States
porsche45 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96
I believe youre right there, the only thing I can think of is not enough foam in the cell box surrounding the cell itself or an improperly sourced part at the factory. Was it a newly delivered car, maybe a GT3 Cup cell installed by mistake or manufacturing defect at the original plant. I know it's not really a concern of IMSA but I'm sure it will get Porsche's attention if it is a bad part.
Not saying they did, but parts can be removed, and different ones installed...
Old 19 May 2008, 21:33 (Ref:2206838)   #299
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
minimangler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai
Ironically it's because their fuel cell was found to be bigger than regulation spec.
An American who knows the definition of irony!

Old 20 May 2008, 00:12 (Ref:2206928)   #300
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
dxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by minimangler
An American who knows the definition of irony!

Oh the irony of it all!

DK