Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 14 Jan 2019, 23:03 (Ref:3876179)   #2976
mprmke
Racer

mprmke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jackson didn’t breach the terms of any contract. Team Dynamics approached him, not the other way round. It is, however, a very long story, more of which will become more widely know during the course of 2019!
Old 14 Jan 2019, 23:05 (Ref:3876180)   #2977
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
btccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbtccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mprmke View Post
Jackson didn’t breach the terms of any contract. Team Dynamics approached him, not the other way round. It is, however, a very long story, more of which will become more widely know during the course of 2019!

The approach coming from Dynamics to Jackson rather than Jackson to Dynamics has long been my understanding too
Old 14 Jan 2019, 23:09 (Ref:3876181)   #2978
mprmke
Racer

Team Dynamics desperately wanted a proven BTCC race winner to replace Shedden, but it didn’t happen. A hell of a lot has happened behind the scenes since then, but safe to say MJ has come out of it all far better than Motorbase.
Old 14 Jan 2019, 23:33 (Ref:3876183)   #2979
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Just a shame he’s still on the sidelines for now
Old 15 Jan 2019, 09:09 (Ref:3876238)   #2980
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Not strictly BTCC news, but Matt Neal and Gordon Shedden will be 'reunited' in a GT3 Audi at the Bathurst 12 hours!
Old 15 Jan 2019, 09:50 (Ref:3876244)   #2981
RS67
Veteran

RS67 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by btccbloke View Post

Massive investment to just sell them on 3 months or so later, could this have been to help a pay off and stay away for a year agreement?
What pay off? Motorbase weren't the ones needing to terminate a contract. If any party needed paying off, it would be Motorbase, to be bought out of the contract.
Old 15 Jan 2019, 09:58 (Ref:3876245)   #2982
Overboost
Racer

Overboost should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOverboost should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS67 View Post
What pay off? Motorbase weren't the ones needing to terminate a contract. If any party needed paying off, it would be Motorbase, to be bought out of the contract.
Bartie held Mat to his contract & then said he wasn't driving. So that's where that the rumblings stem from.
Old 15 Jan 2019, 10:03 (Ref:3876247)   #2983
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
btccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbtccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overboost View Post
Bartie held Mat to his contract & then said he wasn't driving. So that's where that the rumblings stem from.

This exactly - read Mats comment when this came out "On Wednesday this week, my contract to drive the Motorbase Performance car was terminated"

Interesting choice of words, his contact to drive the car was terminated, not his contract with motorbase. None of us have any idea on the wording of what was in this contract but there may well have been a clause that they had reserved the right to drop him as a first choice driver should performances not be meeting a level, or if some off track misdemeanors mean he wasnt a suitable to represent the team or sponsors. Essentially putting Mat on the equivelant of gardening leave where he is unable to work for/with a new team until contract end date was reached. Which would also explain why to my knowledge he wasnt present at any BTCC events and aside from a one off in Britcar with Stewart Lines, barely sat in a race car for 12 months

Last edited by btccbloke; 15 Jan 2019 at 10:12.
Old 15 Jan 2019, 10:22 (Ref:3876248)   #2984
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
He did a few historic races IIRC.
Old 15 Jan 2019, 10:34 (Ref:3876250)   #2985
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
i would also suggest if you were headhunted in your own job, said to your superior that you were interested in the approach and said you were considering leaving, they talked you round and so the headhunting company took on someone else, if your employer then immediately decided to sack you claiming you were a disloyal employee, they would probably get their backsides sued pretty quickly
Old 15 Jan 2019, 10:39 (Ref:3876251)   #2986
RS67
Veteran

Quote:
This exactly - read Mats comment when this came out "On Wednesday this week, my contract to drive the Motorbase Performance car was terminated"

Interesting choice of words, his contact to drive the car was terminated, not his contract with motorbase. None of us have any idea on the wording of what was in this contract but there may well have been a clause that they had reserved the right to drop him as a first choice driver should performances not be meeting a level, or if some off track misdemeanors mean he wasnt a suitable to represent the team or sponsors. Essentially putting Mat on the equivelant of gardening leave where he is unable to work for/with a new team until contract end date was reached. Which would also explain why to my knowledge he wasnt present at any BTCC events and aside from a one off in Britcar with Stewart Lines, barely sat in a race car for 12 months
That still doesn't mean Jackson would have come out of it better financially. If anything I would have thought Jackson would be the one to take a financial hit. He takes a wage from his sponsorship. Sponsorship which now doesn't appear on the cars. If he wasn't released from his contract until it expired naturally, I can't see his sponsors paying for that. It would make sense he would have paid for it himself. It is not unusual for drivers to start paying for their drives in instalments from the day they sign on the dotted line. This money will help pay for any preseason preparation work on the car and testing. Miss any payments and you are in danger of losing your drive. Motorbase will have already had money off Jackson. Jackson's seat was filled, so where would Motorbase have been hit financially?
Old 15 Jan 2019, 10:46 (Ref:3876253)   #2987
RS67
Veteran

Quote:
i would also suggest if you were headhunted in your own job, said to your superior that you were interested in the approach and said you were considering leaving, they talked you round and so the headhunting company took on someone else, if your employer then immediately decided to sack you claiming you were a disloyal employee, they would probably get their backsides sued pretty quickly
Not exactly the same as it is unlikely that you would have signed a contract to work for a set period. If you had you wouldn't be allowed to leave and if it was that sort of contract, you would need to buy yourself out of it. Your company wouldn't even need to do anything to convince you not to leave.
Old 15 Jan 2019, 10:48 (Ref:3876254)   #2988
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
Well that was just my thoughts but if they are wrong, in that case perhaps the person who suggested it can enlighten us....
Old 15 Jan 2019, 10:56 (Ref:3876255)   #2989
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Not exactly the same as it is unlikely that you would have signed a contract to work for a set period. If you had you wouldn't be allowed to leave and if it was that sort of contract, you would need to buy yourself out of it. Your company wouldn't even need to do anything to convince you not to leave.
Totally off topic but I always sign contracts for my services for a period.
Old 15 Jan 2019, 11:00 (Ref:3876257)   #2990
mprmke
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Totally off topic but I always sign contracts for my services for a period.
As do many people. Sure, most jobs don't have those kind of terms, but there are still a lot that do.

Anyway, MJ came out of the situation a hell of a lot better than Motorbase did, aside from the fact he didn't get to drive last season, which is of course what he wanted. Anyway, 2019 is a totally new situation.....
Old 15 Jan 2019, 11:21 (Ref:3876262)   #2991
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:

His contract was probably 'terminated' as a result if his actions. He was publicly announced as driving for Team Shredded Wheat at ASI last year, so presumably from then on he his contract was sealed for the season. If he did something like approach another team for a drive (or accept an approach from another team offering him one) that could have caused his existing contract to be terminated.
Old 15 Jan 2019, 11:37 (Ref:3876265)   #2992
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Either way... is anybody expecting Mr Blobby driving in BTCC this year?

Can't see him having the reported cash for BTC.
Old 15 Jan 2019, 12:24 (Ref:3876277)   #2993
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post

He nearly did...sort of.. See the last paragraph

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/archive/article/january-1994/32/sensible-season

Last edited by Craner Curves; 15 Jan 2019 at 12:37.
Old 15 Jan 2019, 13:00 (Ref:3876285)   #2994
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post

Assuming you mean MJ, tho he has been my favorite driver over the years, and I would love to see him back, I would say no.
Even if he did get some sort of payment from Motorbase for ripping up a contract, it wont be anywhere near the money BTC want for a seat which we are rumoring at £500k.
He will probably have lost all his sponsors at this stage too

(and incidentally on the earlier point, I work as a contractor and typically get a 6 or 12 month contract at a time, if i want to leave after 3 months because i get a better offer I am able to with agreed notice, I wouldnt expect to be talked into staying then told my contract is terminated when the other offer is no longer available)
Old 15 Jan 2019, 13:55 (Ref:3876293)   #2995
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
That still doesn't mean Jackson would have come out of it better financially. If anything I would have thought Jackson would be the one to take a financial hit. He takes a wage from his sponsorship. Sponsorship which now doesn't appear on the cars. If he wasn't released from his contract until it expired naturally, I can't see his sponsors paying for that. It would make sense he would have paid for it himself. It is not unusual for drivers to start paying for their drives in instalments from the day they sign on the dotted line. This money will help pay for any preseason preparation work on the car and testing. Miss any payments and you are in danger of losing your drive. Motorbase will have already had money off Jackson. Jackson's seat was filled, so where would Motorbase have been hit financially?
But he may have had offers to do better-paying work on the BTCC weekends which he'd have turned down otherwise.

I heard a story of a driver who, having lost his drive, was immediately offered four days work coaching in France, paying significantly more money.
Old 15 Jan 2019, 15:34 (Ref:3876304)   #2996
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
In other musings. Turkington holdings generally buys the chassis in which Colin used when he wins a title. So does that mean his 2019 125i is a chassis his family owns or would WSR build a fresh one for him alone? Its a unique situation for him having never defended a title! I think the Oliphant/Jordan chassis are going to be last years cars as there's nothing wrong with them. Would Turkington risk a piece of coins racing career being written off in competition?
Old 15 Jan 2019, 16:11 (Ref:3876307)   #2997
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by medius View Post
In other musings. Turkington holdings generally buys the chassis in which Colin used when he wins a title. So does that mean his 2019 125i is a chassis his family owns or would WSR build a fresh one for him alone? Its a unique situation for him having never defended a title! I think the Oliphant/Jordan chassis are going to be last years cars as there's nothing wrong with them. Would Turkington risk a piece of coins racing career being written off in competition?
They haven't even bought the 2014 winning car yet. Priaulx, Goff and Jordan have all used it since.
Old 15 Jan 2019, 16:33 (Ref:3876309)   #2998
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves View Post
They haven't even bought the 2014 winning car yet. Priaulx, Goff and Jordan have all used it since.
Sounds like Triggers broom!
Old 15 Jan 2019, 16:33 (Ref:3876310)   #2999
Steel Wheels
Veteran

Steel Wheels should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSteel Wheels should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Your right he’d have to buy 2 cars if he wanted both his Championship winning cars, if he swaps chassis again it could go for the set 😂
Old 15 Jan 2019, 16:43 (Ref:3876313)   #3000
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
He nearly did...sort of.. See the last paragraph

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/a...ensible-season

Lol. Ralf was actually a contender for the Volvo Estate? How well known was he then?