Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 19 Apr 2022, 06:50 (Ref:4107225)   #3076
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by antnee View Post
It seems stupid to me that ITV hold the rights over everything recorded -
A point of note - All footage obtained and/or recorded by the TOCA Nominated TV Production Company of the Championship belongs exclusively to TOCA in perpetuity, not ITV.

And the reason it is this way - why would a production company go to the effort and expense to provide a live outside broadcast capability if they do not get a suitably level of exclusivity in how that footage is used? The production of a full weekend of coverage is a very big commitment, and TOCA has to retain the appeal to the broadcaster(s). If you open up coverage to other mediums and platforms too far, the potential advertising revenue is diminished and you will find production companies reducing their investment. The net effect would be less, not more, in terms of coverage.
Old 19 Apr 2022, 06:57 (Ref:4107227)   #3077
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobJones View Post
That would be great, but baby steps.

Highlight videos with logical (and search friendly) titles on YouYube within 24 hours each weekend on a schedule would be a start! Mad to me how IndyCar, NASCAR, SRO events, WRC, Supercars etc. do this in the immediacy while the BTCC uploads 'R23 in 90s' with a threadbare description and some weekends it's two weeks later.

Then how about a quick video 'best of onboards' for each round a week after using the judiciary cameras? Used to do this, but it was weirdly hidden on the Dunlop channel!

Or, and I know this is wild, but a five minute video of action with the best team radio across a weekend? Again, F1 and Supercars love this to help pad content between rounds. ITV once used some team radio for a brief segment and it's never appeared again. (Oulton Park, Morgan's Merc set on fire)

Online content needs sorting first as it's more relevant to the potential audience in 2022, and doesn't remove live viewers provided it's complementary.
All seem like reasonable ideas, but that is not how ITV and TOCA want to portray the series. For example:

'ITV has exclusive UK broadcast rights on all race footage for 7 days after each event. From the eighth day following each event (usually a Monday), drivers and teams are then allowed to use short (up to 5 minute) clips of ITV race footage on their sites, free of any rights fee.
No BTCC/ITV footage can be broadcast on random ‘YouTube’ or suchlike Internet sites, but can be broadcast on your individual dedicated team/driver/sponsor website or official YouTube site.'

and

'Teams may use short clips of footage (up to 2 minutes in total) taken
from the Judicial Cameras in Free Practice 1 or 2, on the following terms;
1. A complete lap cannot be shown - it must be interspersed with other angles or footage. No more than 30 seconds of continuous footage at any one time can be used.
2. Any on-board footage containing vision or sound of anything out of the ordinary, negative or untoward - particularly regarding another competitor - cannot be used (e.g. another car spinning off, or having an incident or mechanical failure etc).'

The image of BTCC is a carefully managed product, and Mr Gow keeps tight reins to ensure this maintained.
Old 19 Apr 2022, 07:51 (Ref:4107229)   #3078
antnee
Veteran

antnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridantnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
All seem like reasonable ideas, but that is not how ITV and TOCA want to portray the series. For example:

'ITV has exclusive UK broadcast rights on all race footage for 7 days after each event. From the eighth day following each event (usually a Monday), drivers and teams are then allowed to use short (up to 5 minute) clips of ITV race footage on their sites, free of any rights fee.
No BTCC/ITV footage can be broadcast on random ‘YouTube’ or suchlike Internet sites, but can be broadcast on your individual dedicated team/driver/sponsor website or official YouTube site.'

and

1. A complete lap cannot be shown - it must be interspersed with other angles or footage. No more than 30 seconds of continuous footage at any one time can be used.
2. Any on-board footage containing vision or sound of anything out of the ordinary, negative or untoward - particularly regarding another competitor - cannot be used (e.g. another car spinning off, or having an incident or mechanical failure etc).'

The image of BTCC is a carefully managed product, and Mr Gow keeps tight reins to ensure this maintained.
I wasn't aware the teams/drivers could use any of the footage!
Old 19 Apr 2022, 10:44 (Ref:4107242)   #3079
Daverb
Rookie

Daverb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamcas87 View Post
I don’t get why some people think TCR is out to “replace” BTCC
Big fan of touring car racing so I don’t know What’s wrong with them both running along side each other

Not sure who said about replacing?

However both are touring car racing.

What I watched yesterday was touring car racing I like to see. All pretty clean and fair. Smiley who won Race 1 finished Race 2 4th or 5th. No one came charging through, they were all pretty even.

If what we see at the weekend is cars breaking down. Drivers moaning as they would have qualified on pole but my hybrid didn't work. I would have won the race but my hybrid didn't work. Cars stuck in the pits? It's going to be a turn off. BTCC has really got things sorted in the turbo era after a bit of pain now everything is up in the air again.

Of course everything could be perfect, everyone happy, sun shining and everything right with the world....
Old 19 Apr 2022, 11:00 (Ref:4107243)   #3080
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Is Jack Goff still missing presumed sponsor less? If so we'll hear his replacement soon.
Old 19 Apr 2022, 12:46 (Ref:4107257)   #3081
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!

Quote:
Originally Posted by medius View Post
Is Jack Goff still missing presumed sponsor less? If so we'll hear his replacement soon.
"Soon" could in fact mean Friday...
Old 19 Apr 2022, 13:03 (Ref:4107258)   #3082
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I expect there to be no changes at this time
Old 19 Apr 2022, 13:30 (Ref:4107264)   #3083
antnee
Veteran

antnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridantnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
So Goff's issues have been resolved? Or will HARD lose a TBL?
Old 19 Apr 2022, 14:20 (Ref:4107267)   #3084
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
So Goff's issues have been resolved? Or will HARD lose a TBL?

You must have noticed this guy often just posts for the sake of it. I wouldn't bother interogating his messages too deeply.
Old 19 Apr 2022, 14:47 (Ref:4107273)   #3085
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Maybe. We will just have to wait and see.
Old 19 Apr 2022, 15:28 (Ref:4107281)   #3086
Robin Marriott
Veteran

Robin Marriott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daverb View Post

If what we see at the weekend is cars breaking down.
How many of the 5 DNFs from race 1 and the 6 for race 2 were mechanical failures?

(Also, shouldn’t this be in the dedicated TCR thread?)
Old 19 Apr 2022, 16:14 (Ref:4107288)   #3087
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Marriott View Post
How many of the 5 DNFs from race 1 and the 6 for race 2 were mechanical failures?

(Also, shouldn’t this be in the dedicated TCR thread?)
He's talking about the BTCC, not TCR - hence why it's in the BTCC thread. Comparisons to TCR UK seem like a perfectly valid topic of discussion in BTCC threads.
Old 19 Apr 2022, 17:29 (Ref:4107299)   #3088
BobJones
Veteran

BobJones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post

and

All true, but I'm talking about the BTCC's own online media output.
Old 19 Apr 2022, 18:01 (Ref:4107304)   #3089
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetool View Post
You must have noticed this guy often just posts for the sake of it. I wouldn't bother interogating his messages too deeply.
Trying to steer the topic of discussion away from TCR back to BTCC actually. And he's a her. Anyhoo...

It was simply a question, Has Jack resolved his issues which kept him out of the car in testring and absent from Media Day? Nothing cryptic.
Old 19 Apr 2022, 18:46 (Ref:4107310)   #3090
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by medius View Post
Trying to steer the topic of discussion away from TCR back to BTCC actually. And he's a her. Anyhoo...

It was simply a question, Has Jack resolved his issues which kept him out of the car in testring and absent from Media Day? Nothing cryptic.
Don't think he was talking about you!
Old 19 Apr 2022, 19:15 (Ref:4107312)   #3091
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
https://twitter.com/jgmotorsport/sta...95181461303298

Jack Goff now officially Jack Gone
Old 19 Apr 2022, 19:24 (Ref:4107313)   #3092
Adamcas87
Racer

England
Old hairpin
Adamcas87 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAdamcas87 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daverb View Post
Not sure who said about replacing?

However both are touring car racing.

What I watched yesterday was touring car racing I like to see. All pretty clean and fair. Smiley who won Race 1 finished Race 2 4th or 5th. No one came charging through, they were all pretty even.

If what we see at the weekend is cars breaking down. Drivers moaning as they would have qualified on pole but my hybrid didn't work. I would have won the race but my hybrid didn't work. Cars stuck in the pits? It's going to be a turn off. BTCC has really got things sorted in the turbo era after a bit of pain now everything is up in the air again.

Of course everything could be perfect, everyone happy, sun shining and everything right with the world....
I wouldn’t say everything is up in the air
You have come out with abit of negativity and if buts and maybes
Let’s see what comes of this weekend before making assumptions about getting it wrong
Old 19 Apr 2022, 19:43 (Ref:4107314)   #3093
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdh View Post
Is this a I know something you don’t know type of comment
No, just a comment….based on a conversation overheard in a track cafe rather than the trough of BS
Old 19 Apr 2022, 19:53 (Ref:4107316)   #3094
antnee
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
So what changed then? Sponsors pulling out or has Goff had issues/concerns with HARD preparations and tried to put something in about performance/reliability?
Old 19 Apr 2022, 19:54 (Ref:4107317)   #3095
AnnoyedMoose
Racer

AnnoyedMoose should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAnnoyedMoose should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
Presumably if Team Hard removed their revised offer that means someone else came along with the cash for the drive?
Old 19 Apr 2022, 20:19 (Ref:4107319)   #3096
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
as Goff was Cammished we now have 1 unconfirmed seat

Honda Civic - Team Dynamics - Gordon Shedden
Honda Civic - Team Dynamics - Dan Rowbottom

Honda Civic - BTC Racing - Josh Cook
Honda Civic - BTC Racing - Jason Plato
Honda Civic - BTC Racing - Jade Edwards

BMW 330 - WSR - Colin Turkington
BMW 330 - WSR - Stephen Jelley
BMW 330 - WSR (Rokit) - Jake Hill

BMW 330 - Ciceley - Adam Morgan
BMW 330 - Ciceley - George Gamble

Hyundai i30 - EXCELR8 Motorsport - Tom Ingram
Hyundai i30 - EXCELR8 Motorsport - Dan Lloyd
Hyundai i30 - EXCELR8 Motorsport - Tom Chilton
Hyundai i30 - EXCELR8 Motorsport - Jack Butel

Ford Focus - Motorbase (NAPA) - Dan Cammish
Ford Focus - Motorbase (NAPA) - Ash Sutton
Ford Focus - Motorbase - Sam Osborne
Ford Focus - Motorbase - Ollie Jackson

Toyota Corolla - Speedworks - Rory Butcher
Toyota Corolla - Speedworks - Ricky Collard

Cupra Leon - HARD - ???
Cupra Leon - HARD - Árón Taylor-Smith
Cupra Leon - HARD - Bobby Thompson
Cupra Leon - HARD - Nicolas Hamilton
Infiniti Q50 - HARD - Rick Parfitt Jr

Infiniti Q50 - Aiden Moffat Racing - Aiden Moffat
Infiniti Q50 - Aiden Moffat Racing - Dexter Patterson

Vauxhall Astra - PMR - Michael Crees
Vauxhall Astra - PMR - Ash Hand
Old 19 Apr 2022, 21:36 (Ref:4107323)   #3097
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whatever the reason (and honestly I'm very curious what was going on behind the scenes) it's sad to see Goff go. Recent years in Team HARD were hard for him and in such a team he couldn't make the results he could but at least he was racing year after year - which wasn't always granted for him as he was always rather struggling with finding budget.
Anyway, I hope he can be back in 2023 with a better team.
Old 20 Apr 2022, 06:04 (Ref:4107340)   #3098
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Interesting to read that it's not all money related. Perhaps he wasn't satisfied with the competitiveness of the car and didn't want to trundle around for another year at the back.
Old 20 Apr 2022, 06:17 (Ref:4107341)   #3099
antnee
Veteran

Given their situation with Parfitt's car, you have to wonder what is really going on behind the scenes. Parfitt is going to be turning up at Donington with no proper running in the car at all.
Old 20 Apr 2022, 06:26 (Ref:4107342)   #3100
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Given their situation with Parfitt's car, you have to wonder what is really going on behind the scenes. Parfitt is going to be turning up at Donington with no proper running in the car at all.
There have been a few drivers on the grid that have described the issues certain teams are experiencing, and when you consider all of the information you can glean an understanding.

The NAPA drivers have described how they received the hybrid parts in batches, and so ran certain tests with some parts fitted, but not all of the hybrid running.
Crees described how the team have been working on getting the new engine running in their car first, concentrating on that over the hybrid system. The theory being that if the hybrid fails, you can still hopefully be competitive. (Cars running with no hybrid is expected due to the configuration of the cooling system).
Some of the HARD. / Laser cars have been in the queue to go through the fabricators, getting the chassis/subframes reworked. This prevented them from getting on with some of the installation work.

Putting it all together, teams like HARD. have had to work with limited resources (compared to others) and get chassis/subframe work done, then integrate a new engine, before finally getting on with the hybrid installation.

Compared to Team Dynamics and WSR - they have been able to carry over their engine and have not needed the cage work, and so their full resource could be applied to the hybrid.

In hindsight - a new engine, hybrid system and ECU being installed at the same time was always going to be a challenge for the smaller teams on the grid. Perhaps it would have been better to phase their introduction?