Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 20 Sep 2005, 01:42 (Ref:1411859)   #301
storyline
Veteran

Australia
Country Victoria
storyline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Depends - as I understand it the current AMRS directors are split 2-1 against moving to AASA
Old 20 Sep 2005, 02:40 (Ref:1411882)   #302
mabs_nsx
Veteran

Australia
Where Rally Aus belongs - Perth, WA
mabs_nsx is a back marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by storyline
No new track surprises have been indicated however - so WA, NT and Tas at this stage miss out again.
So why do they call it the Australian Motor Racing Series?
Old 20 Sep 2005, 02:43 (Ref:1411884)   #303
storyline
Veteran

Australia
Country Victoria
Same reason the Australian Sports Sedan Championship was run only in Victoria and New South Wales a few years ago?
Old 20 Sep 2005, 03:03 (Ref:1411890)   #304
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Falcadore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Because New Zealand Racing Series would be silly?

If Western Australia wants an AMRS round, then Wanneroo and promotors need to find a way to convince a decent portion of the field to cross the Nullabor. While the distance my not be your fault, bleating 'its not my fault' like Han Solo does not get a damn thing done.

I was talking to a friend of mine in Speedway last weekend. Because of the rise in petrol prices, up 40 cents since the previous season, around an extra $20-30,000 would be need just to pay for fuel because of the travel intensive nature of the series.

A whole new sponsor just for fuel!

In this light, adding a round in WA to any national series is going to be a luxury most can not afford.
Old 20 Sep 2005, 03:42 (Ref:1411898)   #305
Richard Craill
Racer

Australia
Adelaide
Richard Craill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Richard, so you wrote the reports for AMRS then, because ive read some of your stuff on a New Zealand site, just today, about Williams at the Island.

Also you weren't the podium interviewer guy were you?

Anyways, here is a pic i took after the race of Alajajians car. I presume it was just put on to stablise the car when it gets put in the truck as it isn't exactly dirty like the rest. And yeh thats what got me mind boggled, if they ran a wet tyre it would vastly decrease handling and cause balance issues.
Sorry about the late reply Oaksnaf.. havent been around here for a few days.. I write F3 and GT stuff, and do their commentry, but dont do the interviews on the podiums or Speedweek - we leave that to our resident expert, Daniel Gibson.

Spot on about the Alajajian tyre - there is no concivable way they would run it on one wet tyre on the track - it was only put on there to balance the car in the transporter.

On another note, i'm looking forward to seeing F4000 racing from Oran Park when it hits the airwaves on Speedweek.. Despite another small entry the racing at the front between Hollywood, Hanger and Murcho (Good to have him back) sounded like it was pretty competitve.

Re the AASA thing.. i hadnt heard anything, but to be honest i'd doubt it'd happen with the AMRS. Not only was it CAMS who wanted the AMRS to get off the ground, but I know that one, if not two of the directors are both very Pro-Cams.

Wouldnt it be great to have the series head North and west?

Personally, I think next year may see a few AVESCO categories jump ship for a majority of the races thanks to the TV situation over there. I also think we'll see more categories jumping around between series' (AVESCO and AMRS) to get the best possible program for everyone. I think it'd be feasable for a number of AMRS categories to do, say, 2 or 3 AVESCO rounds (perhaps the ones that can afford to do Tasmania, WA or NT, for example) for the exposure benefits there, one or two 'major events' (clipsal / Indy) and then fill the rest of their program with AMRS rounds.

I dont know if this will happen - just me killing time in my workday and musing about what could be!
Old 20 Sep 2005, 04:42 (Ref:1411905)   #306
Chucky
Veteran

Australia
Port Melbourne, Australia
Chucky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry, RC, you're a day late and a dollar short again. The AMRS organisers outlined their grand vision for next year last weekend at Oran Park to all their entrants. TCC, Aust. Sports Car Championship, Sports Sedans, F4000 ran over 8 rounds (2XCalder, 2XWinton, 2XWakefield, QR and AIR).

The conspiracy theorists amongst us would also note the absence of F3 and GT from last weekend. Would have it been easier to do it when they weren't around?
Old 20 Sep 2005, 05:11 (Ref:1411910)   #307
silver 2
Racer

silver 2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So the AMRS is going AASA? Is that right?
Old 20 Sep 2005, 06:15 (Ref:1411922)   #308
Chucky
Veteran

Australia
Correct.
Old 20 Sep 2005, 06:27 (Ref:1411928)   #309
Beatcha
Racer

Australia
Beatcha should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The 88 BMW car looks real good , Who is the sponsor as i havent heard of them before, but i do like the silver on the car, looks very good. Does this car come from the SAE Stable as it has the same look?
Old 20 Sep 2005, 06:33 (Ref:1411932)   #310
White Knight

Wouldn't be so sure that the 'AMRS' is doing what you say Chucky. You also failed to mention APCC, Saloon Cars and Commodore Cup - or the Trucks, and the champion elect of one of those categories just happens to be president of CAMS. There maybe two AMRS-style series' next year so it just begs the question of who will run what?

Old 20 Sep 2005, 07:11 (Ref:1411946)   #311
storyline
Veteran

Australia
Country Victoria
Trucks haven't been part of AMRS from the start so I wouldn't be reading too much into them.

As for the CAMS president being one of the champion elects - like anything else, you can't help bad luck sometimes but like it or not, he is only there as a competitor (unless you are suggesting that he has some unnatural influence over motor sport?).

The only reason F4000 would be considered is because one of the 'founding fathers' of the AMRS happens to have invested in them and needs somewhere for his toys to play (even if they are woefully slow and, like his super tourers, prone to continual mechanical breakage and non-repair due to the lack of available on-site parts).

And themissing category which, by all reports has not been happy with AMRS organisation this year, the Super Karts - what is to become of them? Under the scenario's presented here looks like they will have nowhere to play in 2006.
Old 20 Sep 2005, 10:40 (Ref:1412077)   #312
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Didn't F3 sign a multi-year deal for the CAMS Gold Star? What happens to that under AASA?

Will the Gold Star revert to a non-winged category for the first time since the invention of wings? With FFord as the only option will Australia's most historic trophy apart from the AGP go the same way as the Australian Sports Car Championship and the Australian Tourist Trophy?
Old 20 Sep 2005, 10:45 (Ref:1412080)   #313
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Where did the Australian Sports Car Championship come from? The category has been defunt for almost 20 years now. Where are the cars? (and as CAMS own the ASCC where does the title come from?)

Those four categories could only assemble around 70 cars between them - on a good day - they'll need some supports from somewhere to make the meetings economically viable.
Old 20 Sep 2005, 11:21 (Ref:1412093)   #314
Kerri
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
Kerri should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKerri should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think a good read of AA tomorrow may answer some questions on here
Old 20 Sep 2005, 13:31 (Ref:1412205)   #315
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
How is reading AA going suddenly produce 20 non-existant Sports Cars? I only know of four new Sports Cars arriving in Queensland in the last four years, John Campbell's Hooper, Grant Watson's Prosport, Peter Saunderson's Radical and John Whittaker's Minetti. And Saunderson races against AF2s in New South Wales because the category basically died in the arse and Campbell's car is for sale.
Old 20 Sep 2005, 13:53 (Ref:1412217)   #316
Kerri
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
Kerri should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKerri should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wasn't referring to your post Falc sorry, just that some questions relating to AMRS/AASA categories for 2006 may be answered in AA.
Old 20 Sep 2005, 14:33 (Ref:1412238)   #317
mixxer
Veteran

Australia
Somewhere over the rainbow
mixxer has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
How is reading AA going suddenly produce 20 non-existant Sports Cars? I only know of four new Sports Cars arriving in Queensland in the last four years, John Campbell's Hooper, Grant Watson's Prosport, Peter Saunderson's Radical and John Whittaker's Minetti.
Your making too much sense for some on this forum Falc. You must cease and desist for the good of the discussion.
Old 20 Sep 2005, 20:51 (Ref:1412583)   #318
David Towe
Veteran

England
Glenmore Park NSW
David Towe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatcha
The 88 BMW car looks real good , Who is the sponsor as i havent heard of them before, but i do like the silver on the car, looks very good. Does this car come from the SAE Stable as it has the same look?
#88 is the Peter Kelly ex Diet Coke car which is now being prepared by the SAE team. The car was instantly faster and the driver a happy boy. The Kellbi Developments sponsorship is from Peter's own company and yes the car looked great.
Old 20 Sep 2005, 21:59 (Ref:1412638)   #319
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
a wannabe approach ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcadore
Because New Zealand Racing Series would be silly?

If Western Australia wants an AMRS round, then Wanneroo and promotors need to find a way to convince a decent portion of the field to cross the Nullabor. While the distance my not be your fault, bleating 'its not my fault' like Han Solo does not get a damn thing done.

I was talking to a friend of mine in Speedway last weekend. Because of the rise in petrol prices, up 40 cents since the previous season, around an extra $20-30,000 would be need just to pay for fuel because of the travel intensive nature of the series.

A whole new sponsor just for fuel!

In this light, adding a round in WA to any national series is going to be a luxury most can not afford.
A national competition is not run on the east coast.

You may have the political clout to call it national, but please .......

WA has seen this regularly from wannabes.
Old 20 Sep 2005, 22:30 (Ref:1412655)   #320
storyline
Veteran

Australia
Country Victoria
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavvy
A national competition is not run on the east coast.

You may have the political clout to call it national, but please .......

WA has seen this regularly from wannabes.
And CAMS are a body that has all states at heart when it makes decisions? Yeah, right!

There have been numerous occasions when a National Championship has been run in only 2 or 3 states - IIRC the Sports Sedan Championship was run once in a single state - but still called the Australian Championship.

But this is, once again, the mentality of the few within the organising body.
Old 20 Sep 2005, 22:35 (Ref:1412660)   #321
storyline
Veteran

Australia
Country Victoria
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerri
I wasn't referring to your post Falc sorry, just that some questions relating to AMRS/AASA categories for 2006 may be answered in AA.
Well I wouldn't bother wasting any money on AA if you expect to read anything about the AMRS other than AA's usual (sub)standard report on the OP meeting - trucks, APCC and Commodore Cup are the only ones to receive ANY mention in this weeks edition.
Old 20 Sep 2005, 22:41 (Ref:1412665)   #322
Chucky
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Knight
Wouldn't be so sure that the 'AMRS' is doing what you say Chucky. You also failed to mention APCC, Saloon Cars and Commodore Cup - or the Trucks, and the champion elect of one of those categories just happens to be president of CAMS. There maybe two AMRS-style series' next year so it just begs the question of who will run what?
I believe APCC was involved in that plan but the others you mentioned weren't.

And the "champion-elect" being from CAMS would have little or no power to stop a break away anyway.
Old 20 Sep 2005, 22:44 (Ref:1412670)   #323
Chucky
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcadore
Didn't F3 sign a multi-year deal for the CAMS Gold Star? What happens to that under AASA?

Will the Gold Star revert to a non-winged category for the first time since the invention of wings? With FFord as the only option will Australia's most historic trophy apart from the AGP go the same way as the Australian Sports Car Championship and the Australian Tourist Trophy?
Didn't you pick up on how F3 and the GT's weren't present last weekend nor are they included in next year's AMRS plans?

And the Sports Car Championship is similar to a category already being toyed with at Winton. It's really Gr. 2b Marque Sports taken nationally and I am led to believe it will included supersports/clubman types as well. Not a bad idea really as it allows vehicles of inferior breeding to compete as opposed to the GT Championship where you seem to have to have some sort of horse on the front of the car to compete!
Old 20 Sep 2005, 22:53 (Ref:1412674)   #324
storyline
Veteran

Australia
Country Victoria
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucky
And the "champion-elect" being from CAMS would have little or no power to stop a break away anyway.
In theory - but we all know how he practices jumping up and down or making phone calls trying to break arms and legs when things don't go his way.
Old 20 Sep 2005, 22:58 (Ref:1412679)   #325
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerri
I think a good read of AA tomorrow may answer some questions on here
AA used to be the source of info for Australian Motorsport but since it became "V8" Action the internet has had to take over the mantle