Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 13 Jun 2024, 11:32 (Ref:4213378)   #301
kartman24
Racer

kartman24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Be interesting to watch a garage cam of them dismantling then re building the Jota car..........
Old 13 Jun 2024, 11:40 (Ref:4213379)   #302
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlandsman View Post
I think the people running things are finding ever more clever ways of trying to work our sandbagging, as the teams are probably doing the same!

BMW found a lot of pace later on after a fairly average GT qualifying run.

Alpine look to have made a step, but not shock there with their experience at Sarthe.

BMW in Hype look good, Peugeot really do not all drivers complaining of vibration, with new or old tyres v odd.
Interesting WRT BMW have the opposite approach in Hypercar and GT.

The relative changes in pace have always happened. And this seems to be the only evidence for sandbagging.

The gains from practice to competitive sessions occurred to the same magnitude for decades before any BoP. There has never been a need to make the effort to show your hand before race day at Le Mans. Some try hard for qualifying. Some don’t. They’ve got better things to do. Sadly this nuance is now lost to the general public because we scream sandbagging at everything.

It’s going to seem like there is more change in relative pace at the moment because it’s so close.

Also looking at just fastest times is a ridiculous way to do this. Especially in multi class racing. Did they get a clean lap. And did they try. And the conditions of the circuit which is mainly made up of new roads.

I concede there is an extra reason to not try for the ultimate lap. But really that has always been the case. Unless you’ve got through every part of your test program, which if you are a good team you never have, why push it? It’s just a needless risk. Especially at the 24hours of Le Mans.

Maybe there is some. If you can see it over the normal stuff we’ve had for years you’re better than I, or you’re kidding yourself.

You can track your progress through your own data, sector time and consistency. You don’t need to put one in. And for the same reason ACO don’t need lap times to see how hard people are trying. Equally that everyone is doing different stuff at different times through the week also means it is hard to track.

Are there lotta of interesting engineering and strategies at play. But no SANDBAGGING.
Old 13 Jun 2024, 11:45 (Ref:4213380)   #303
kartman24
Racer

kartman24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Video from the crowd of the Jota crash, guess he got it on the kerbs on the outside to lose it like that.
https://www.facebook.com/ici.les.24h...74696290970768
Old 13 Jun 2024, 11:47 (Ref:4213381)   #304
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Le Mans 2024 Test Day - Practice - Qualifying

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipR View Post
Makes me think of 2019 and 2020 in GTE when both Aston and Porsche took pole and then were nowhere during the race. Maybe we will see similar with some cars going backwards once racing gets going

In 2019, Aston Martin received a negative BOP adjustment after qualifying (reduced engine power). The Aston was a very draggy car so the power cut killed their race.

https://us.motorsport.com/lemans/new...warth/4477519/
Old 13 Jun 2024, 11:54 (Ref:4213382)   #305
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Le Mans 2024 Test Day - Practice - Qualifying

Also, I don’t think BMW sandbaggged and I don’t think they have the pace here over a race stint. I think Dries just drove a great lap without traffic at a moment when the track evolution was huge. His first and 2nd sectors were not purple sectors. Only the third sector was purple. Many others were on their way to setting laps which might have overshadowed him but were interrupted due to traffic or the red flag.

311 Cadillac, 6 Porsche, 4 Porsche, 8 Toyota, 5 Porsche never got a clean run near the end. The Alpines didn’t really do runs near the end either. The track ramped up aggressively and Dries was one of the only ones who could get a clear run at that time.
Old 13 Jun 2024, 12:04 (Ref:4213384)   #306
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
According to Sportscar365 - a seven car Hyperpole. A shame for the show if so.
Was this crash the reason why they red flagged the session? https://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/...ractice-crash/
Old 13 Jun 2024, 12:19 (Ref:4213387)   #307
XtC24
Racer

XtC24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridXtC24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Articus View Post
Also, I don’t think BMW sandbaggged and I don’t think they have the pace here over a race stint. I think Dries just drove a great lap without traffic at a moment when the track evolution was huge. His first and 2nd sectors were not purple sectors. Only the third sector was purple. Many others were on their way to setting laps which might have overshadowed him but were interrupted due to traffic or the red flag.

311 Cadillac, 6 Porsche, 4 Porsche, 8 Toyota, 5 Porsche never got a clean run near the end. The Alpines didn’t really do runs near the end either. The track ramped up aggressively and Dries was one of the only ones who could get a clear run at that time.
...hence we cannot say who is and who isn't the favorite.
I still think Porsche and Ferrari have the fastest cars most probably but it looks like Toyota is close or even just as quick.

IF Porsche is as quick as Ferrari and/or Toyota they are still the favourites simply due to numbers. Plus they are Porsche

Maybe we will know some more after Hyperpole.
Old 13 Jun 2024, 12:22 (Ref:4213388)   #308
Ferrari333SP
Veteran

United States
Minnesota
Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!
Hyperpole should be absolutely electric tonight - will 3:22 be achieved? 3:21? That would be a pretty big jump, but with a clear track, I think a 2-second jump from yesterday should be doable. Guessing Ferrari gets pole, but either Caddy or BMW get 2nd.

Last edited by Ferrari333SP; 13 Jun 2024 at 12:28.
Old 13 Jun 2024, 12:26 (Ref:4213389)   #309
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by XtC24 View Post
...hence we cannot say who is and who isn't the favorite.

Quote:
I still think Porsche and Ferrari have the fastest cars most probably but it looks like Toyota is close or even just as quick.

IF Porsche is as quick as Ferrari and/or Toyota they are still the favourites simply due to numbers. Plus they are Porsche
I think that’s a fair guess.
Quote:
Maybe we will know some more after Hyperpole.
Unlikely
Old 13 Jun 2024, 12:27 (Ref:4213390)   #310
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Which corners are drivers getting pinged for track limits this year?

They are pretty wide at Dunlop Curve, but that seems pretty normal.
Old 13 Jun 2024, 12:40 (Ref:4213391)   #311
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!
I think it's all about how MP is handled by the chief in charge. What I find interesting too is that cars #15, #3, #50, #35 and #77 had no lap times deleted due to track limits. Hyperpole Q is hyper clean.
Old 13 Jun 2024, 12:46 (Ref:4213393)   #312
tomcug
Veteran

tomcug should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
https://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/...ing-hyperpole/
Quote:
“Instead of this qualifying session, why don’t we do it only with cars in the same category [with individual sessions for each class] if you want to see the real performance of the cars, and not just luck?” he asked rhetorically.
Kobayashi is right. IMSA are doing that at Daytona and it works. Also all the other WEC races have separate Q sessions for GTs and LMHs.
Old 13 Jun 2024, 12:47 (Ref:4213395)   #313
airbusA346
Veteran

England
Staffordshire, UK
airbusA346 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridairbusA346 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
So do Jota have a spare chassis on hand or is it something that needs to be flown in from somewhere?
They are using a works (PPM) spare chassis.
Old 13 Jun 2024, 12:49 (Ref:4213396)   #314
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcug View Post
https://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/...ing-hyperpole/
Kobayashi is right. IMSA are doing that at Daytona and it works. Also all the other WEC races have separate Q sessions for GTs and LMHs.
Come on, it's LM, they won't change what 'worked in the past' without something really going wrong
Old 13 Jun 2024, 13:18 (Ref:4213399)   #315
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcug View Post
Assuming he's right may be he -and others- can tell us why so many teams have been waiting for the last laps to "do something".
Old 13 Jun 2024, 13:26 (Ref:4213401)   #316
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Assuming he's right may be he -and others- can tell us why so many teams have been waiting for the last laps to "do something".
That's always my complaint with F1, they think somehow the perfect lap will be late but then whinge that everyone is out there too
Old 13 Jun 2024, 13:31 (Ref:4213404)   #317
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
My guess is that tonight's Hyperpole will be in wet conditions...

https://www.ventusky.com/?p=48.48;1.01;6&l=rain-3h
Old 13 Jun 2024, 13:31 (Ref:4213405)   #318
Ferrari333SP
Veteran

United States
Minnesota
Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!
Alex Palou in the Caddy up to P1 with a 3:28.442
Old 13 Jun 2024, 13:51 (Ref:4213409)   #319
Articus
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
My guess is that tonight's Hyperpole will be in wet conditions...

https://www.ventusky.com/?p=48.48;1.01;6&l=rain-3h
Hopefully not! I doubt anyone would get a full lap in with yellows out on the circuit.
Old 13 Jun 2024, 13:52 (Ref:4213412)   #320
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Yep might be wet, showers not heavy rain. https://fr.allmetsat.com/metar-taf/france.php?icao=LFRM Not the best conditions.
Old 13 Jun 2024, 13:55 (Ref:4213413)   #321
Articus
Veteran

Have they always been this aggressive about track limits? I'm somewhat worried that it is inevitable in a 24 hour race that drivers might graze the track limits even if they do not intend to. 5 minute stop and hold penalty seems really harsh. If drivers getting enough strikes to get 5 minutes in a 2 hour session, then how will they manage 24 hours?

I know it's the same for everyone but it seems too harsh.

Last edited by Articus; 13 Jun 2024 at 14:03.
Old 13 Jun 2024, 14:05 (Ref:4213415)   #322
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Have they always been this aggressive about track limits?
Drivers or marshals?
Old 13 Jun 2024, 14:28 (Ref:4213418)   #323
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Have they always been this aggressive about track limits? I'm somewhat worried that it is inevitable in a 24 hour race that drivers might graze the track limits even if they do not intend to. 5 minute stop and hold penalty seems really harsh. If drivers getting enough strikes to get 5 minutes in a 2 hour session, then how will they manage 24 hours?

I know it's the same for everyone but it seems too harsh.

I think it is similar to last year. Difficult to tell as I’m watching in a different way.

They are setting the tone. If you fall foul in the race you can’t say you haven’t been warned!

Cars are queuing up at pit exit for the end of the red…
Old 13 Jun 2024, 14:30 (Ref:4213419)   #324
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans

Crikey these grandstands are high up.

Old 13 Jun 2024, 14:34 (Ref:4213420)   #325
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Good to see Andrew -right part of the pic- wearing a non sun cap, non sun jacket and not so much sun shoes! Go Andrew!