Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 11 Apr 2009, 01:05 (Ref:2438391)   #326
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Dale Jr View Post
Something I just remembered. The Bristow's CAM Shipping RS500 was for sale in Autosport in late 1988 and the ad said that the car had received a brand new shell after the Snetterton round. I wonder if it kept the same chassis number?

Also, some corrections for the Chassis Archive thread:

ARE RSC 0587
This was car #17 at the 1987 Spa 24 Hrs and #9 at Bathurst and Calder that year, not chassis 0287 or 0387.

ARE RSC 0188
If this is Rouse's 88 Kaliber car then yes, it is the car driven by Brock for most of 1989. However, it was not this car that was re-shelled, it was the other ex-Rouse Mobil Sierra that may have been re-shelled. This was the car Gravett drove in 1988 in ICS colours; possibly Pete Hall's car from the year before?
The car you identify as ARE RSC 0587 is here in Australia, with poster drbob. it is currently in LHD form, however is being converted back to RHD as it was when it ran at Bathurst/Calder in Allan Moffat's ANZ colours.
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 14 Apr 2009, 18:24 (Ref:2440685)   #327
RSRoy
Rookie

RSRoy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've uploaded 10 random pictures:

And besides the old pictures I also have a lot of pictures of cars that have been restored including detail shots. Lots of those pictures are from Martin Johnsons cars
Old 15 Apr 2009, 18:16 (Ref:2441608)   #328
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Dale Jr View Post
Well, I think I might just have an answer for that now! Now, we know that the '88 Rouse car was sold to Peter Brock. We also know that Rouse took one car to Macau in '88 (http://photo.163.com/photos/tcd1388/2378874/28409515/). This is likely to have been the '88 Edwards car.

I think this car stayed in Asia after this race. A car bearing a near-identical livery with the same dark-blue-interior-with-grey-rollcage appears at Macau in 1989 (#6, driven by Gio Fan). The review video shows it exiting the race by crashing nose-first into the barriers.

The only other record I can find of what I believe to be the '88 Edwards car is - oddly enough - at Bathurst in 1992! Recently unearthed copies of Auto Action suggest that the #36 car (Ent: Rod Jones, Drv: Ken Mathews / Rod Jones / Mike Newton) was an ex-Rouse brought across from Asia. The livery of that car bore the same dark blue/white base scheme of the Kaliber cars. Coincidence? I think not.
The Motoring News race report for Macau in '88 confirms that this was the Edwards car:

Quote:
Heger had a great battle for pole with Britain's Andy Rouse driving Guy Edwards' ex-Kaliber Ford Sierra RS500 which had been sold to Hong Kong hotelier Adrian Fu

Motoring News 30/11/88
Old 16 Apr 2009, 09:07 (Ref:2442036)   #329
Adrian B
Rookie

Adrian B should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gio Fan was Adrian Fu's racing name, not sure why. Rod Jones was also involved in the preparation of some cars (maybe the sierra) for Adrian Fu over the years. In 89/90 I purchased a road car from Adrian Fu and when I collected it at his Hong Kong home there was a Sierra parked there, up on air jacks with a cover over it. Could be the same car?
Old 16 Apr 2009, 10:10 (Ref:2442061)   #330
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
That wouldn't surprise me given what William has already said about the history of the car, and the info I found in the MN report- sold to Adrian Fu at the end of the '88 BTCC season, driven by Rouse at Macau '88, Fu/'Gio Fan' at Macau '89 and in Australia with Rod Jones by '92- I reckon that puts it firmly in the frame as the car you saw in Hong Kong in '89/90, unless Adrian Fu later acquired a second RS500.

Additionally, from the same race report, Dave Brodie took a pair of RS500s to Macau in '88, one for himself (finished 6th), the other for a local driver- don't recall who without having the report in front of me.
http://homepage.mac.com/frank_de_jon...8%20Macau.html

What's interesting is that one (possibly both?) of these is described as 'a converted rally car', suggesting it wasn't Brodie's regular BTCC mount, and was possibly sold on to Macau. I'll dig the report out again and confirm the details
Old 1 May 2009, 05:44 (Ref:2453363)   #331
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Amaroo Park should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does anyone know whatever happened to the Colin Bond caltex team cars? I know there was definatly 2 cars, one that was built in 1988 and another new car built just before Bathurst 1992. Was there any others?
Old 1 May 2009, 06:15 (Ref:2453376)   #332
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There were 3, the details of which is buried somewhere in this thread. The first was the 1988 Bathurst winner and is now restored to it's B&H colurs and displayed in the Bathurst museum. The second is presently being restored and i believe the the very lightly raced third car is still in original condition.
Old 2 May 2009, 01:12 (Ref:2453937)   #333
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Yeah there were some dramas at the time with the 88 Bathurst winner. It was bought of Longhurst by Kenny Mathews. When he got the car it was not as it should of been but with a whole heap of suss parts from a wolf racing Sierra that Longhurst and Curly Gardner had purchased earlier in the season. The car requiered considerable work by Bondys team to get it back to a usable condition.

So are there any pictures out the of the Bond Sierras either then or now?
Old 4 May 2009, 22:41 (Ref:2455500)   #334
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Anyone?????
Old 5 May 2009, 03:38 (Ref:2455573)   #335
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaroo Park View Post
So are there any pictures out the of the Bond Sierras either then or now?
Have you looked through this thread, i'm sure you'll find some there, if not do a search in this forum and also check out the where are they now thread in the Aussie Touring Car forum on 10/10. I think there might also be some historical pics of the car in the Old Race car photos thread at www.biante.com.au
Old 12 May 2009, 11:46 (Ref:2460827)   #336
bent65
Rookie

Australia
Central Coast
bent65 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaroo Park View Post
Does anyone know whatever happened to the Colin Bond caltex team cars? I know there was definatly 2 cars, one that was built in 1988 and another new car built just before Bathurst 1992. Was there any others?
THEN:
All up there were 4 sierras that appeared in Caltex livery.

The first was in '88 which was one of the OXO cars from the previous year. Campaigned by Bondy for the '88 ATCC rounds finishing 3rd and winning him the AMSCAR title that year.

The second car first appeared late in '88 at the Amaroo enduro and came third at Bathurst that that year. This car won a couple of ATCC rounds. It was sold and converted to a sports sedan at the end of Group A.

The third car was the ex-B&H bathurst winner from '88 run as second car for 89 by Ken Mathews. Colin drove this car in several events. This car had the fluro red livery. As David said is now B&H in Bathurst museum.

The fourth car is a little sketchy but I believe was built late in '92 (just before Bathurst as you say) and completed about 50 laps of Bathurst and that is the extent of its history?WDJR?

NOW:
The first car was bought complete in, group A trim, from a private owner and is now being repainted and mechanically rebuilt/checked over to compete in historic racing.

The second car is being converted back to Group A spec I believe.

The third is In Bathurst Museum

The fourth car I am told is located in QLD somewhere but I would love to hear its whereabouts and condition.

IMHO the CALTEX liveries were some of the best looking!
Will try to post some photos up that I have found.
Old 13 May 2009, 02:28 (Ref:2461374)   #337
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
Thanks for clarifying that Ben, my recollection was a bit off.

Is the first car being restored to it's 1988 ATCC specification and livery?
Old 14 May 2009, 06:43 (Ref:2462124)   #338
bent65
Rookie

Australia
Central Coast
Sorry quick correction . I meant the second car debuted at Oran Park enduro, not Amaroo. It was called the "Pepsi 250" I think. This was the first car that was built by Colins guys.

Yes Dave the first caltex car is being being presented in ATCC '88 livery.

It was its most successful period, with Colin coming second for most of the year with a few late engine failures allowing Bowe bump him to third. Also it was in this guise (apart from door stickers) that it won Colin the AMSCAR Title and one of the quickest laps of a sierra at Amaroo. It did come 5th at Bathurst '88 in the capable hands of John Giddings and Bruce Stewart. The actual paint itself didnt change it was really only a few changes with the position and style of the sponsoring and the drivers for the enduros.

I will try to post some photos. Dont really know how to do it.

I really like the B&W photo you have on your posts, Amaroo Park. It is a photo of the first car (ex-OXO) two wheeling at, Amaroo I believe.
Old 14 May 2009, 07:16 (Ref:2462136)   #339
bent65
Rookie

Australia
Central Coast
Here are some photos of the first Caltex car from where it sat for nearly 20 years. It was complete in every way with the motor pulled down on the bench. This is the way it last raced at the 1989 AGP by the private owner hence the removed Caltex/TOYO livery.
There are some photos already on here somewhere of the second car being readied for its conversion back from sports sedan. I will try to find the link.
I have some good action shots on another computer.
Does anyone else have any photos from back in the day. Some of the best shots are from the pits or unusual locations not used by the pro photographers.
Attached Thumbnails
Copy (2) of PIC_0006.JPG   Copy (2) of PIC_0007.JPG   Copy of PIC_0028.JPG  

Copy of PIC_0025.JPG   Copy of PIC_0030.JPG   Copy of PIC_0024.JPG  

Old 14 May 2009, 22:47 (Ref:2462670)   #340
bent65
Rookie

Australia
Central Coast
Some more shots of the '88 car.
I would say the shot of it at the back of the pits at Amaroo would have been early '88? you can see some of the guys in team shirts and Colins helmet on the roof. Maybe Amscar as there is no SHELL sticker on the door?
Last shot is ATCC round starting off pole.
Attached Thumbnails
Bond in pits Amaoo.jpg   CALTEX.jpg   Amaroo%20Grid.jpg  

CALTEX4.jpg   Bond Amaroo.jpg   CALTEX7.jpg  

Old 15 May 2009, 03:25 (Ref:2462721)   #341
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
Grrat pics Ben! In pic 3, you can see my car sitting in last grid position.
Old 11 Jun 2009, 07:41 (Ref:2479850)   #342
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
An interesting article on the RS500 on Touring Car Times here.
Old 11 Jun 2009, 12:00 (Ref:2479994)   #343
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
An interesting article on the RS500 on Touring Car Times here.
Interesting article. Seems that the accompanying images concentrate on Sweden though!

One of those images shows a line of cars negotiating an esses, 2 smart black and red RS500's leading but 2 other cars stand out: an ex DTM (MS-Jet?) 190Batmobile and at the rear what looks like an ex Eggenberger '85 liveried Volvo 240T?
Old 12 Jun 2009, 14:20 (Ref:2481047)   #344
Jesper OH
Veteran

Jesper OH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Interesting article. Seems that the accompanying images concentrate on Sweden though!

One of those images shows a line of cars negotiating an esses, 2 smart black and red RS500's leading but 2 other cars stand out: an ex DTM (MS-Jet?) 190Batmobile and at the rear what looks like an ex Eggenberger '85 liveried Volvo 240T?
Interesting pics indeed! To start from the top:
http://www.teambild.se/arkiv/details...04&mode=search
Says to be Bertil Engström (ahead of Peter Elgaard in the Duckhams/Urpiala M3) at Ring Knutstorp.

http://www.teambild.se/arkiv/details.php?image_id=15952
Stig Blomqvist at Anderstorp in 1991.

http://www.teambild.se/arkiv/details.php?image_id=15962
Stig ahead of new teammate for 1991 Lennart Bohlin. Please remark both cars are LHD here, were the '90 Engström car RHD.

All info thanks to www.teambild.se.

Jesper
Old 12 Jun 2009, 15:19 (Ref:2481097)   #345
KA
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesper OH View Post

http://www.teambild.se/arkiv/details.php?image_id=15962
Stig ahead of new teammate for 1991 Lennart Bohlin. Please remark both cars are LHD here, were the '90 Engström car RHD.

All info thanks to www.teambild.se.

Jesper
....also the silver RS500 in the background- one of the Simonsens' CMS cars- Christer Simonsen according to the caption?
Old 24 Jun 2009, 10:45 (Ref:2489658)   #346
KA
Veteran

Copied across from the '1991 Trakstar Sierra Sapphire 2-litre' thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
A quick potted history

Dick Johnson raced one at the 1988 Silverstone TT - word was that the car then sat in Malcolm Swetnams ( Trakstar Team Manager) Garage until it reappeared as a Trakstar car at Oulton with another DJR built car for Smith and Gravett. They won first time out!

The DJR RS 500's were then sold one to Graham Hathaway and one to Malaysia I think and a New one was built for 1989. This car won the 1989 BTCC and was a Lightweight "Europeanised" version of the DJR cars. It was then sold to Greece where sadly it ended its days as a rallycross car.

One of the original DJR cars ( I guess the Hathaway car) is now back in DJR livery and owned by Andy Lloyd in UK.

Trakstar also built a Sierra Group N car for an Irish customer, it won loads of races and then disappeared.

They also raced a Sapphire at the 1989 Willhire but failed to finish - that car disappeared as well.

Malcolm Swetnam left the Team before the 2 litre project started
Thanks for that Billy- I hadn't realised any of them had ended up as rallycross cars. As you say, the original pair of red/white 'Cartel/NEC' cars in '89 were of Johnson origin, and a new car- in plain white- was built for 1990 (rather than '89).

The car that went to Graham Hathaway appeared as a Trakstar entry in the Donington 1-hour BTCC race early season, Hathaway sharing with Mike Smith, before Graham took over ownership. Gravett shared the new white car with Stig Blomqvist- they famously lost the race (to Rouse I think?) when Stig had a spin coming off the Melbourne loop on the last lap...

I wonder, is the Hathaway car the one that went to Malaysia? from memory, Graham raced an RS500 there in the early 90's alongside a car Graham Goode took out there- think there's a pic earlier in the thread, the Hathaway car is still in Trakstar red/white, rather than the yellow of his original BTCC RS500
Old 24 Jun 2009, 14:13 (Ref:2489823)   #347
KA
Veteran

Looking back through the thread, Andy Lloyd confirmed that his ex-Johnson, Gravett 'DJR1' was raced by Hathaway in Malaysia in 1990/1 and still has scrutineering labels from it's Malaysian outings on the rollcage

Now, looking at this post,
http://tentenths.com/forum/showpost....2&postcount=93

we've got both Gravett and Smith at the 1990 British GP meeting in white Sierras- if one car had been sold to Hathaway earlier in the season, still in 1988's red and white coluors, then it looks as if the second car was still with Trakstar by the GP meeting, and resprayed plain white.

Smith only appeared a few times in 1990, due to shortage of sponsorship- sharing with Hathaway at Donington, in the white #12 car at the GP, and sharing Gravett's car at the Brands 1-hour race mid/late-season (I posted a shot from that race several pages back)

If the 'new' car built for Gravett went to Greece, and one of the original pair to Hathaway, do we have any idea where the third car (the other of the original DJR pair) went?
Old 24 Jun 2009, 15:05 (Ref:2489841)   #348
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by KA View Post
Looking back through the thread, Andy Lloyd confirmed that his ex-Johnson, Gravett 'DJR1' was raced by Hathaway in Malaysia in 1990/1 and still has scrutineering labels from it's Malaysian outings on the rollcage

Now, looking at this post,
http://tentenths.com/forum/showpost....2&postcount=93

we've got both Gravett and Smith at the 1990 British GP meeting in white Sierras- if one car had been sold to Hathaway earlier in the season, still in 1988's red and white coluors, then it looks as if the second car was still with Trakstar by the GP meeting, and resprayed plain white.

Smith only appeared a few times in 1990, due to shortage of sponsorship- sharing with Hathaway at Donington, in the white #12 car at the GP, and sharing Gravett's car at the Brands 1-hour race mid/late-season (I posted a shot from that race several pages back)

If the 'new' car built for Gravett went to Greece, and one of the original pair to Hathaway, do we have any idea where the third car (the other of the original DJR pair) went?
There was a claim at the time that this car was converted to Group N specification and sold to a customer (in Ireland?). I do remember seeing a 3 door Cosworth at a long distance Group N race at Donington around that time which appeared to be painted in the original Trackstar colour scheme.
Personally I discounted this story at the time as it seemed to me to be a lot of work, plus would create a large number of discarded parts when 'down-speccing' the car to Group N. However, thinking about it now, I suppose it's more likely that only the bodyshell was used to create this Group N car, and the Group A running gear from this car was re-used for Gravett's 'all new' white car for 1990?
Old 25 Jun 2009, 10:08 (Ref:2490334)   #349
KA
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
There was a claim at the time that this car was converted to Group N specification and sold to a customer (in Ireland?). I do remember seeing a 3 door Cosworth at a long distance Group N race at Donington around that time which appeared to be painted in the original Trackstar colour scheme.
Personally I discounted this story at the time as it seemed to me to be a lot of work, plus would create a large number of discarded parts when 'down-speccing' the car to Group N. However, thinking about it now, I suppose it's more likely that only the bodyshell was used to create this Group N car, and the Group A running gear from this car was re-used for Gravett's 'all new' white car for 1990?
A prodsaloon/Group N Cosworth in Trakstar-style red/white colours rings a very vague bell with me as well, but I couldn't tell you whose it was...
Old 26 Jun 2009, 16:45 (Ref:2491194)   #350
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by KA View Post
A prodsaloon/Group N Cosworth in Trakstar-style red/white colours rings a very vague bell with me as well, but I couldn't tell you whose it was...
Yes same here; I have a feeling that maybe Kevin Maxted or someone had a Trakstar esque red over white shell on one of his renta Cossies in the early 90's?

Someone definitely did!!

Tags
andrew miedecke, andy rouse, atcc, btcc, colin bond, dick johnson, dtm, eggenberger, ford sierra rs500, graham goode racing, group a, peter brock, trakstar, wtcc