Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 8 Feb 2022, 14:04 (Ref:4097799)   #351
saxoflute03
Racer

saxoflute03 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What exactly was the 1961 race where Steve McQueen drove the John Whitmore Mini? Obviously, it was a non-Championship race and a seemingly little known one at that, still doing the research at present.

Last edited by saxoflute03; 8 Feb 2022 at 14:09.
Old 8 Feb 2022, 14:18 (Ref:4097801)   #352
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxoflute03 View Post
What exactly was the 1961 race where Steve McQueen drove the John Whitmore Mini? Obviously, it was a non-Championship race and a seemingly little known one at that, still doing the research at present.
Thread here - https://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42967

Sir John Whitmore article here - https://motorsport.sportingmemories....steve-mcqueen/

Dominik Wilde article here - https://dominikwilde.com/when-steve-...d-in-the-btcc/

MotorSport Magazine article here - https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/a.../steve-mcqueen
Old 8 Feb 2022, 14:26 (Ref:4097803)   #353
saxoflute03
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Thank you.

Still can't have been that well-known if Frank de Jong's website doesn't cover it.
Old 8 Feb 2022, 14:27 (Ref:4097804)   #354
saxoflute03
Racer

Klaus Ludwig and Paula Cook got to test the out-going Vauxhall Cavalier at the end of 1995.
Old 8 Feb 2022, 14:31 (Ref:4097805)   #355
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Thank you.

Still can't have been that well-known if Frank de Jong's website doesn't cover it.
It's not covered on that site because it wasn't a BSCC race (championship or otherwise).
Old 8 Feb 2022, 14:37 (Ref:4097808)   #356
saxoflute03
Racer

Quote:
It's not covered on that site because it wasn't a BSCC race (championship or otherwise).
I did ask in the first place what the nature of that race was.
Old 8 Feb 2022, 14:38 (Ref:4097809)   #357
saxoflute03
Racer

Matt Neal was offered a seat at Ecurie Ecosse for 1992. He would have driven the Vauxhall Cavalier that Bobby Verdon-Roe and Alex Portman ended up driving.
Old 11 Feb 2022, 12:02 (Ref:4098237)   #358
saxoflute03
Racer

Gabriele Tarquini came close to joining Renault for 1997.
Old 11 Feb 2022, 12:19 (Ref:4098238)   #359
saxoflute03
Racer

1996:

Anthony Reid contesting selected BTCC rounds in the Andy Rouse-run Nissan Primera.

Andy Rouse in a privateer Ford Mondeo.

A possible Toyota entry but more likely as a privateer. This was before Lee Brookes was confirmed.

A possible late season Hyundai entry run by Prodrive after Alfa Romeo pulled out.

A possible Reynard-influenced Chrysler Stratus entry, depending on its NATCC performance.

Between 6 and 8 privateers but only Matt Neal and Richard Kaye were mentioned.

Most of this coming from the same magazine that claimed a Renault and a Lancia would appear as privateers in the 1991 BTCC.
Old 14 Feb 2022, 20:22 (Ref:4098680)   #360
saxoflute03
Racer

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/ne...acing-drivers/ - Test with the Mazda BTCC team? A typing error or ultimately misplaced optimism with regards to the possibility of Mazda returning as a works team in 2006?

On the subject matter of the article in question, did Natasha Firman get to do her BTCC test in the end? I just know it was supposed to have been in a Team Dynamics Honda.
Old 14 Feb 2022, 20:28 (Ref:4098682)   #361
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/ne...acing-drivers/ - Test with the Mazda BTCC team? A typing error or ultimately misplaced optimism with regards to the possibility of Mazda returning as a works team in 2006?
https://www.touringcartimes.com/2006...nault-to-wtcc/
Old 14 Feb 2022, 20:35 (Ref:4098684)   #362
saxoflute03
Racer

Quote:
Thank you but Mazda did also consider returning to the BTCC in 2006 and that news report from the Northern Echo implies as such unless it was a typing error.

I do know that Ralph Firman got to test a VX Racing Vauxhall Astra Coupe ahead of the 2004 Season, it said so in Autosport's 2004 BTCC Preview.

Last edited by saxoflute03; 14 Feb 2022 at 20:48.
Old 14 Feb 2022, 20:46 (Ref:4098689)   #363
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Thank you but Mazda did also consider returning to the BTCC in 2006 and that news report from the Northern Echo implies as such unless it was a typing error.
So which is it. Details of a Mazda entry, or a typing error?

This article would suggest that the Northern Echo article was a bit off:

http://speedqueens.blogspot.com/2010/09/formula-woman.html?m=1

The Northern Echo article was written in 2005, Mazda had already withdrawn their support. "For 2005, support was dropped by Mazda and instead drivers competed in Caterham 7s."

Last edited by crmalcolm; 14 Feb 2022 at 20:52.
Old 14 Feb 2022, 20:58 (Ref:4098691)   #364
saxoflute03
Racer

Quote:
So which is it. Details of a Mazda entry, or a typing error?

This article would suggest that the Northern Echo article was a bit off:

http://speedqueens.blogspot.com/2010...woman.html?m=1

The Northern Echo article was written in 2005, Mazda had already withdrawn their support. "For 2005, support was dropped by Mazda and instead drivers competed in Caterham 7s."
I'd suspect a typing error unless the Northern Echo was somehow aware of the possibility of Mazda returning to the BTCC in 2006. I knew all of the above so I suspected the article was off myself when I came across it. I was just trying to find out if Natasha Firman ever got to do her BTCC Test as her prize for winning Formula Woman in 2004 and, if so, it was supposed to be in a Team Dynamics Honda, at least according to this. - https://www.carpages.co.uk/mazda/maz...1_27_07_04.asp

Last edited by saxoflute03; 14 Feb 2022 at 21:05.
Old 14 Feb 2022, 21:04 (Ref:4098694)   #365
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
I was just trying to find out if Natasha Firman ever got to do her BTCC Test as her prize for winning Formula Woman in 2004.
Yes.
Old 14 Feb 2022, 21:14 (Ref:4098697)   #366
saxoflute03
Racer

Quote:
Yes.
Thank you. I was just curious as I was having a hard time finding proof online.

What really sparked up my curiosity though is Motorsport News once reporting that Team Dynamics allegedly wanted to run Jodie Kidd in their 3rd Integra for a one-off appearance in 2005.
Old 14 Feb 2022, 21:16 (Ref:4098698)   #367
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Thank you. I was just curious as I was having a hard time finding proof online.
The speedqueens.blogspot.com article was written 5 years after the test, and referred to it in the past tense.
Old 14 Feb 2022, 21:18 (Ref:4098699)   #368
saxoflute03
Racer

Quote:
The speedqueens.blogspot.com article was written 5 years after the test, and referred to it in the past tense.
My apologies, I hadn't read it from cover to cover until now.

Duncan Huisman tested the Edenbridge BMW alongside the team's regular driver Justin Keen just before they pulled out in 2004.
Old 14 Feb 2022, 21:19 (Ref:4098700)   #369
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
My apologies, I hadn't read it from cover to cover until now.
No problem.
Old 14 Feb 2022, 21:25 (Ref:4098702)   #370
saxoflute03
Racer

Doesn't look like Jordan King is going to capitalise on his test for Motorbase last November at the rate things are going.
Old 14 Feb 2022, 21:50 (Ref:4098705)   #371
saxoflute03
Racer

I'm intrigued as to the rumours Andy Rouse referred to in his end-of-season interview in 1988.
Old 15 Feb 2022, 00:01 (Ref:4098715)   #372
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I'm intrigued as to the rumours Andy Rouse referred to in his end-of-season interview in 1988.
And what were they? For those who either don't remember or weren't around at the time?
Old 15 Feb 2022, 11:17 (Ref:4098778)   #373
saxoflute03
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
And what were they? For those who either don't remember or weren't around at the time?
Your guess is as good as mine. Andy just simply spoke of the rumours he'd heard and hoped they'd come to fruition or at least half of them would.
Old 15 Feb 2022, 11:49 (Ref:4098792)   #374
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
I think he was referring to the planned Ford Manufacturer entry, which was then shelved because the RS500 was so popular.
Old 15 Feb 2022, 12:11 (Ref:4098798)   #375
saxoflute03
Racer

Quote:
I think he was referring to the planned Ford Manufacturer entry, which was then shelved because the RS500 was so popular.
That's possible.

Speaking of Andy Rouse, he was said to be hinting at retirement at the end of the 1992 Season.

Last edited by saxoflute03; 15 Feb 2022 at 12:27.

Tags
btcc, unraced