Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 26 Jun 2009, 22:35 (Ref:2491376)   #351
brown dog
Racer

brown dog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbrown dog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by KA View Post
Copied across from the '1991 Trakstar Sierra Sapphire 2-litre' thread

Thanks for that Billy- I hadn't realised any of them had ended up as rallycross cars. As you say, the original pair of red/white 'Cartel/NEC' cars in '89 were of Johnson origin, and a new car- in plain white- was built for 1990 (rather than '89).

The car that went to Graham Hathaway appeared as a Trakstar entry in the Donington 1-hour BTCC race early season, Hathaway sharing with Mike Smith, before Graham took over ownership. Gravett shared the new white car with Stig Blomqvist- they famously lost the race (to Rouse I think?) when Stig had a spin coming off the Melbourne loop on the last lap...

I wonder, is the Hathaway car the one that went to Malaysia? from memory, Graham raced an RS500 there in the early 90's alongside a car Graham Goode took out there- think there's a pic earlier in the thread, the Hathaway car is still in Trakstar red/white, rather than the yellow of his original BTCC RS500
I was working for Graham Hathaway in 1992. The Malaysia car was an early rhd DJR car,ex Robb Gravett, which he raced in Malaysia alongside a Black Listerine car of GGR. (they would flip a coin to see who was going to win, no point breaking the cars when there was no other competition!) The car then went back to England and was sold. It was looking a bit tired even at that stage, I remember a huge ripple in the floor just behind the drivers seats from a previous crunch. It was running a mountune engine at the time, and the Harrop 9" diff.
Old 27 Jun 2009, 09:41 (Ref:2491523)   #352
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Yes same here; I have a feeling that maybe Kevin Maxted or someone had a Trakstar esque red over white shell on one of his renta Cossies in the early 90's?

Someone definitely did!!
No it wasn't one of Kevins... I seem to think it belonged to someone from Ireland and may have been a prodsaloon, not Group N, but I also seem to remember it cost a lot of money (which is why I'm sure it wasn't a Maxted car!)
Old 27 Jun 2009, 17:00 (Ref:2491656)   #353
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
No it wasn't one of Kevins... I seem to think it belonged to someone from Ireland and may have been a prodsaloon, not Group N, but I also seem to remember it cost a lot of money (which is why I'm sure it wasn't a Maxted car!)
Not a rentacar then! Yes I remember what I thought was this car as a prodsaloon, not Group N too, so that would mean that if it was in England then that could only have been in the Firestone series between 90-92?
Old 27 Jun 2009, 19:20 (Ref:2491701)   #354
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by brown dog View Post
I was working for Graham Hathaway in 1992. The Malaysia car was an early rhd DJR car,ex Robb Gravett, which he raced in Malaysia alongside a Black Listerine car of GGR. (they would flip a coin to see who was going to win, no point breaking the cars when there was no other competition!) The car then went back to England and was sold. It was looking a bit tired even at that stage, I remember a huge ripple in the floor just behind the drivers seats from a previous crunch. It was running a mountune engine at the time, and the Harrop 9" diff.
That rings a bell- think that rippled floor has been mentioned before on the thread, sounds like the result of a rear-end shunt- probably when Robb tripped over a 1600-class car (Phil Dowsett's Corolla I think?) at Snetterton in '89- he went into the barriers backwards as I remember?
Old 27 Jun 2009, 19:22 (Ref:2491703)   #355
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
From memory, the Maxted 3-doors were usually light blue?
Old 27 Jun 2009, 19:26 (Ref:2491704)   #356
banger_racer
Racer

England
essex
banger_racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
That rings a bell- think that rippled floor has been mentioned before on the thread, sounds like the result of a rear-end shunt- probably when Robb tripped over a 1600-class car (Phil Dowsett's Corolla I think?) at Snetterton in '89- he went into the barriers backwards as I remember?
I think it was Thruxton, it was Dowsett he clipped.
Old 27 Jun 2009, 20:47 (Ref:2491722)   #357
KA
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by banger_racer View Post
I think it was Thruxton, it was Dowsett he clipped.
Thanks- I had it in my head that it was Snet for some reason
Old 28 Jun 2009, 09:19 (Ref:2491869)   #358
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
From memory, the Maxted 3-doors were usually light blue?
I'd say often, but not always (due to sponsorship I suppose).
Old 28 Jun 2009, 10:44 (Ref:2491914)   #359
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Out of interest how many Cossies did Kevin Maxted have in his 'stable'?
Old 28 Jun 2009, 13:57 (Ref:2492716)   #360
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Out of interest how many Cossies did Kevin Maxted have in his 'stable'?
I lived around the corner from him in Billercay, Essex in 1991/1992. I think he had 3. They were almost always turquoise and his main driver was Ian Khan.
Old 28 Jun 2009, 14:24 (Ref:2492732)   #361
KA
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
I lived around the corner from him in Billercay, Essex in 1991/1992. I think he had 3. They were almost always turquoise and his main driver was Ian Khan.
I definitely remember him running Ian Khan around that time- didn't he run Khan's BTCC Cavalier a year or two later as well?

I've got a vague memory of a couple of 3-door Cossies and at least one Sapphire- just dug out a couple of old programmes from that period, but the only Sierra definitely mentioned in them as a Maxted entry is Khan's
Old 28 Jun 2009, 16:19 (Ref:2492778)   #362
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Yeah I think I remember one or two '4doors' later on too?

I remember Khan out regularly in a 3 door Cosworth and maybe people like John Davis and James Prochowski?
Old 28 Jun 2009, 18:19 (Ref:2492816)   #363
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
He ran Ian Khan in the BTCC with the Cavalier a little later on, but in 1991/1992 he was running Cossies in the Group N/Prodsaloon championship. There were definitely two turquoise whaletails raced on a regular basis, Khan was a regular in one berth and a variety of renta-drivers in the other. Those were still the days when the cars were brought to events on trailers... he used to have a pair of turquoise tranny barges with the cars on tow. I'm almost certain he had one or more sapphires later on as well.
Old 28 Jun 2009, 19:59 (Ref:2492849)   #364
GBRM
Veteran

England
GBRM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm sure we've had this discussion before - Ian Khan won the prod saloon championship in a Maxted whale-tail Cossy in '92; it was lighter than the 4x4 Sapphire of that year (other than Dad I think there was Kevin Maxted, Frank Greenway and Mike Jordan racing them), plus, the car my Dad raced "mysteriously" disappeared!!
Old 9 Jul 2009, 10:05 (Ref:2498224)   #365
bigears
Racer

United Kingdom
Wolverhampton
bigears should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I need some info to plug in the gaps in my research.

At the 1989 Birmingham Superprix BTCC round, Mike O'Brien drove in the #17(?) Terry Drury-Sierra RS500.

What is the official team name and what sponsorship did the car have?

He didn't qualify so I haven't got any more information about the car.

Finally, at the 1990 Birmingham Superprix:

Stuart Donnon entered his own Ford Sierra RS500, he did qualify but he spun out after 4 laps. I need to know his official team name, car number and what sponsorship he ran the car with?

Also Dennis Leech entered his own Partservice+Autela sponsored Ford Sierra RS500 but withdrew after engine problems during the first qualifying session.

What official team name and car number did Dennis Leech have?

Thank you.
Old 9 Jul 2009, 11:01 (Ref:2498252)   #366
KA
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigears View Post

At the 1989 Birmingham Superprix BTCC round, Mike O'Brien drove in the #17(?) Terry Drury-Sierra RS500.

Pretty sure O'Brien's car was entered under 'Terry Drury Racing'- it was one of a 3-car squad, the others usually (but not always) being Robin Donovan and Dave Pinkney- each car had a different colourscheme and sponsors, I think O'Brien's carried backing from Swan National and possibly Autoglass, carried over from his previous Holden. (Donovan's was backed by Blue Hawk http://www.gypsum.ie/images/diy/logo_blue_hawk.jpg and Pinkney's by Warranty Holdings http://www.pinkd.co.uk/imagesfullsiz...ierraRS500.jpg )

Can anyone else confirm the sponsors for O'Brien, or even better come up with a pic?

Quote:

Stuart Donnon entered his own Ford Sierra RS500, he did qualify but he spun out after 4 laps. I need to know his official team name, car number and what sponsorship he ran the car with?

Also Dennis Leech entered his own Partservice+Autela sponsored Ford Sierra RS500 but withdrew after engine problems during the first qualifying session.

Thank you.
Dennis Leech ran as #22- the car was either entered under his name, or under that of the sponsor- Partservice Exeter'. There are a couple of pics of the car at Silverstone and Brands earlier in the thread.

I don't know the number of Donnan's car- possibly entered under the driver's name, and not sure about his sponsors- I don't think I ever saw this one race, he only appeared at a few rounds
Old 9 Jul 2009, 13:00 (Ref:2498325)   #367
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
Quote:

Thank you.
As KA has said, the O'Brien Drury RS500 was one of a team of 3, each carrying different sponsorship. I remember one car carrying prominent Payen (gaskets) logo's, and (again) as KA said, Pinkney's car was predominantly sponsored by Warranty Holdings, and Robin Donovan, Blue Hawk.

Stuart Donnans car was the Ex JQF RS500 that had been driven by Gerrit Van Kowan (Sp?), and once Chris Hogetts (IIRC), was run by Empress Race Developments, and carried sponsorship from Sea Fresh Frozen Foods (the Donnan family business).
Old 9 Jul 2009, 14:20 (Ref:2498371)   #368
bigears
Racer

United Kingdom
Wolverhampton
bigears should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fantastic!

A few more questions:

Who did the engine tuning for the Terry Drury Racing team?

Dennis Leech: What number did he run in 1990 and who is his engine tuner?

Stuart Donnan: What number did he run in 1990 and who is his engine tuner?

Thank you once again.

EDIT>> Found Dennis Leech's number, it is #22
Old 9 Jul 2009, 14:41 (Ref:2498384)   #369
KA
Veteran

Quote:
As KA has said, the O'Brien Drury RS500 was one of a team of 3, each carrying different sponsorship. I remember one car carrying prominent Payen (gaskets) logo's, and (again) as KA said, Pinkney's car was predominantly sponsored by Warranty Holdings, and Robin Donovan, Blue Hawk.

Stuart Donnans car was the Ex JQF RS500 that had been driven by Gerrit Van Kowan (Sp?), and once Chris Hogetts (IIRC), was run by Empress Race Developments, and carried sponsorship from Sea Fresh Frozen Foods (the Donnan family business).
Thanks for filling that in- 'Sea something' rang a very vague bell as Donnan's sponsor but I couldn't remember what the heck it was. Didn't know Empress were involved with it though- I don't think they did a lot of BTCC work from memory? (Bob Berridges ex-Rouse Sapphire in '93 the only other one I can remember right now) -I always used to associate Empress with Thundersaloons (I think they were involved in quite a few Thundersaloon projects, including Donnan's RS500)

As you said, it was the ex-JQF car (Yes, Hodgetts had an outing in it late-season, I think after van Kouwen split with the team, and Chris's regular Brooklyn car was out of action for some reason?)

The Drury cars in particular seem to be fairly elusive in terms of pics- out of everyone who has contributed pics to this thread, I think all we've been able to find between us so far is one shot of Tim Harvey in TDR's 1988 Istel car, and a shot of Dave Pinkney's car from his website- So if anyone out there has any....
Old 9 Jul 2009, 14:47 (Ref:2498389)   #370
KA
Veteran

Quote:
Fantastic!

A few more questions:

Thank you once again.

I don't know about the others, but I'd suspect Terry Drury did their own engines- Google lists them as 'Cosworth engine builders', though their website is down- Anyone know if they're still in business?
Old 9 Jul 2009, 15:48 (Ref:2498444)   #371
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
Quote:
Fantastic!

A few more questions:

Thank you once again.

Yes, again KA beat me to it, but Terry Drury Racing built their own engines (with large breather systems - sorry, this is an in-joke!).
Dennis Leech was car #22 he also did his own engine building (with a bit of help from Mountune I think).
Can't remember Donnans number (his crash at Birmingham is on youtube somewhere, you should be able to get it from that) and his engines were either the original JQF engine, or new units supplied by Graham Goode Racing.
Old 28 Jul 2009, 11:16 (Ref:2509846)   #372
KA
Veteran

Just looking at some of the pics from the 'David Leslie' touring car race at the Silverstone Classic last weekend- is that a DTM RS500 in the background of that second pic, mixing it with the Minshaw M3 and an ST Honda?
http://tentenths.com/forum/showpost....&postcount=151

Not exactly the same colourscheme, but...
http://www.zandbak.net/classic/89dtm/010.jpg
Old 28 Jul 2009, 18:22 (Ref:2510108)   #373
Jesper OH
Veteran

Jesper OH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Just looking at some of the pics from the 'David Leslie' touring car race at the Silverstone Classic last weekend- is that a DTM RS500 in the background of that second pic, mixing it with the Minshaw M3 and an ST Honda?
http://tentenths.com/forum/showpost....&postcount=151

Not exactly the same colourscheme, but...
http://www.zandbak.net/classic/89dtm/010.jpg

I see your point and that would make it a Ringshausen car then. I believe the team entered the Nürburgring 24 hour race in the very early 1990s, not knowing how it was painted though. Nice mix of cars and time periods at that Silverstone race, though.

Jesper
Old 8 Aug 2009, 01:14 (Ref:2517647)   #374
KA
Veteran

Coincidentally, as we were talking about Terry Drury Sierras a few posts back, look what's turned up at classic car dealer Oakfields- the ex-Kenneth Hansen rallycross RS500. What's interesting, is that the ad states it started life as one of TDR's 1989 BTCC machines,before being converted for rallycross

http://www.classicdriver.de/uk/find/...&dealerid=1337
Old 8 Aug 2009, 08:27 (Ref:2517733)   #375
davyboy
Veteran

That car's had one hard life.

Tags
andrew miedecke, andy rouse, atcc, btcc, colin bond, dick johnson, dtm, eggenberger, ford sierra rs500, graham goode racing, group a, peter brock, trakstar, wtcc