Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 4 Apr 2012, 10:22 (Ref:3053352)   #3901
david5
Racer

Australia
Coonabarabran NSW
david5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaroz View Post
The answer is in the "Motorsport History" files here on 10/10ths.
I've seen that, but my question still stands, as you yourself say that you used many NOS parts during the resto, diluting the car even further. Has CAMS issued a COD for car 1 ?
Old 4 Apr 2012, 11:15 (Ref:3053372)   #3902
Driver TBA
Veteran

Driver TBA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Grandpa's old axe...

It's had 7 handles and 3 heads.

but it's still grandpa's old axe.
Old 4 Apr 2012, 21:32 (Ref:3053727)   #3903
Camaroz
Veteran

Camaroz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by paydirt View Post
If I were a potential Historic-racecar-buyer, & the seller was telling me that the original shell was at the scrap yard, why would I be offering anything other than scrap yard prices?
pdirt, I am looking for information, not a valuation!
Old 4 Apr 2012, 21:50 (Ref:3053740)   #3904
Camaroz
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by david5 View Post
I've seen that, but my question still stands, as you yourself say that you used many NOS parts during the resto, diluting the car even further. Has CAMS issued a COD for car 1 ?
This post is seeking information on the cars. If you want a debate on line of history, restoration, new or old panels etc, start one!

However, by your reasoning, Car 2 was diluted from lap 17 at Bathurst in 1980 as it required NS panels to repair.

Both cars have applications at CAMS for CoD's. Please bear in mind that a CoD does not "certify the cars history", it is not a "commercial document" and is for the purposes of "competition only". Therefore, my cars are what they are, CoD or not, but it would be nice to be able to race them, not just do demo's and regularity.
Old 5 Apr 2012, 08:14 (Ref:3053915)   #3905
david5
Racer

Australia
Coonabarabran NSW
Quote:
However, by your reasoning, Car 2 was diluted from lap 17 at Bathurst in 1980 as it required NS panels to repair.
Not at all, because it was done by the team, in the period.

If you take all the running gear, suspension & other bolt ons off the car, do you have an HDT race shell, raced by the HDT sitting there ? To my thinking no.
Old 5 Apr 2012, 10:21 (Ref:3053977)   #3906
Camaroz
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by david5 View Post
Not at all, because it was done by the team, in the period.

If you take all the running gear, suspension & other bolt ons off the car, do you have an HDT race shell, raced by the HDT sitting there ? To my thinking no.
david5, two period members of the HDT assisted me in the resto of Car 1. Are they still the team? Good race preparation requires that running gear, suspension and bolt on's are "life'd" and replaced. For Car 1, I have a Holden Motorsport Shell that has a part number and was used in the rebuild at the end of 1982. At this time, HDT did not produce shells, GMH did, HDT was a customer.

It appears that you have an agenda here against my cars. Unfortunately for you, agenda's are not information so, as previously suggested, "If you want a debate on line of history, restoration, new or old panels etc, start one!" If you have information, please put it up for all to see.

CCR
Old 5 Apr 2012, 12:58 (Ref:3054055)   #3907
david5
Racer

Australia
Coonabarabran NSW
Quote:
david5, two period members of the HDT assisted me in the resto of Car 1. Are they still the team? Good race preparation requires that running gear, suspension and bolt on's are "life'd" and replaced. For Car 1, I have a Holden Motorsport Shell that has a part number and was used in the rebuild at the end of 1982. At this time, HDT did not produce shells, GMH did, HDT was a customer.

It appears that you have an agenda here against my cars. Unfortunately for you, agenda's are not information so, as previously suggested, "If you want a debate on line of history, restoration, new or old panels etc, start one!" If you have information, please put it up for all to see.

CCR
No agenda & I have no information. We just have different opinions, good luck with your search.
Old 5 Apr 2012, 14:39 (Ref:3054091)   #3908
William Dale Jr
Veteran

Australia
Townsville, North Queensland
William Dale Jr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogered1 View Post
I must admit to always having a chuckle when this subject comes up.

Heres a hypothetical.

Mclaren turns up for the Aust GP and runs chassis 123.
At the end of the season its still running chassis 123.
though out the season it has had 5 drive train changes,, 54 wheels , 8 different aero changes, a crash., and an updated tub.
All changes, as part of running the car.
So the only part from AU GP is the steering wheel. however its still chassis 123

Contiinuous tracable history is the closest you can possibly get to the origional car short of buying chassis 123 as it crossed the line at the au gp

Thats is how i look at it
The difference with that scenario is each tub would have a different chassis number. Replace the tub and you've no longer got chassis 123, you've got chassis 124. That's because that's the core basis of the car, similar to the bodyshell of a sedan that's been stamped with a part number or a VIN number.

In this instance, my opinion (and that, of course, is all it is) is that the cars do indeed have a history traceable back to 1980/81. But you also have a bodyshell that is now carrying a livery that it never physically wore in period. The core component - the shell - never looked like that in period, and that's where my issue lies.

That said, I have no problem with what you've done, Camaroz, by representing the cars as HDT cars, and what's better you've made no attempt to try and hide the cars' complete histories, reshells and all. Ultimately you're going about this the right way by making all the information available. Some people aren't so sporting...
Old 6 Apr 2012, 09:40 (Ref:3054408)   #3909
paydirt
Racer

paydirt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
pdirt, I am looking for information, not a valuation!
Yes you are quite correct, although at some stage in the future these vehicles will find their way 'onto the market', either now or 30 years away..... that's when the words "information" +"valuation" get mentioned in the same conversation.
You seem to have an abundance of information already, your research has been thorough & meticulous, & I assume the cars are presented in a similar fashion, so why the need for more info?
Does someone wanna buy em?

Last edited by paydirt; 6 Apr 2012 at 09:42. Reason: .
Old 6 Apr 2012, 19:15 (Ref:3054593)   #3910
paydirt
Racer

The simple solution, (albeit costly one) is to present "car 1" in its true spec. 1982/83 VH Benson-Brown/Rogers colours. I can see it know with the Soundwave Disco's paint scheme. You could then enhance the whole show by growing a frizzy mullet & wearing a tight sleeveles t-shirt, just like CBB used too. That'd be coool.
Arguably a better looking car than the boring old Malboro HDT scheme that's been done to death anyway.
Maybe CBB could make the odd guest appearance. Probably reflect better on the car & your good self & solve a whole heap of problems with CofD, authenticity, resale value & the like.
Car 1 could also be presented in 1985 Ellis/McLure VK group A spec. Simply track down the rear boot lid that artist Pro Hart painted a mural onto & then 'kkachingg' instant millionaire, right there!

Now Car 2. Present that in its true form & what do we have? A 1995 ex Brad Jones Auscar/Sportsman. Nice, but no thanks.
Old 7 Apr 2012, 00:07 (Ref:3054675)   #3911
Camaroz
Veteran

Quote:
You seem to have an abundance of information already, your research has been thorough & meticulous, & I assume the cars are presented in a similar fashion, so why the need for more info? Does someone wanna buy em?
Yes, plenty of research and info. My posts on several forums have generated discussion and discovered peoples misconceptions about the cars and where the lack of their own research, that they then sprout out, has given me the opportunity to put things right.

I'm sure someone will want to purchase these cars sometime in the future. At least they will know the full history of the cars.
Old 7 Apr 2012, 00:11 (Ref:3054680)   #3912
Camaroz
Veteran

Quote:

Now Car 2. Present that in its true form & what do we have? A 1995 ex Brad Jones Auscar/Sportsman. Nice, but no thanks.
Here is an example of misinformation being bandied about by the uninformed so happy to put it right. Car 2 was not Brad Jones but Henry Jones.
Old 7 Apr 2012, 01:35 (Ref:3054695)   #3913
paydirt
Racer

Quote:
Car 2 was not Brad Jones but Henry Jones.
In that case my sincerest apologies to you & Brad Jones.

Looks like ol' Henry got out of it while the going was good....
Old 7 Apr 2012, 02:22 (Ref:3054696)   #3914
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Can I suggest you pull up now paydirt, your cynicism is looking more like an agenda, an axe to grind.

Its great to see these cars presented 'warts & all'.
Old 7 Apr 2012, 03:35 (Ref:3054699)   #3915
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavvy View Post
Its great to see these cars presented 'warts & all'.
This I agree with, anybody can see the facts are presented here for any and all to see.

Camaroz I dunno where you are but if you need somebody to check your tyre pressures and wash your car on race weekends I'm available
Old 7 Apr 2012, 05:53 (Ref:3054710)   #3916
Oran Park Forever
Racer

Australia
Adelaide
Oran Park Forever should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOran Park Forever should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOran Park Forever should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
'Warts & all'........you mean like a mutation?

Old 10 Apr 2012, 11:02 (Ref:3056353)   #3917
OZ_HCR32
Veteran

OZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyone know what happened to the Coca Cola WGR Commodores. I know the Perkins built Donut King/Coca Cola Bathurst car is still around, but not sure what happened to the WGR VS Commodores
Old 10 Apr 2012, 22:53 (Ref:3056850)   #3918
Driver TBA
Veteran

Driver TBA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ_HCR32 View Post
Anyone know what happened to the Coca Cola WGR Commodores. I know the Perkins built Donut King/Coca Cola Bathurst car is still around, but not sure what happened to the WGR VS Commodores

I believe Rod Nash bought one in 98 (he rolled it at Bathurst that year too) and the Lansvale boys the other. from there I don't know?

One of the Coca Cola VP's was the Bob Forbes GIO car???
Old 11 Apr 2012, 07:52 (Ref:3056980)   #3919
OZ_HCR32
Veteran

OZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeh, the Coca Cola operation effectively took over the GIO operation. They were nicely built and prepared cars so would be a shame
Old 11 Apr 2012, 11:20 (Ref:3057075)   #3920
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The Lansvale team ended up with two of them. One for them, one for Rodney Forbes. The following year, they both fronted in Lansvale livery. If my memory serves me correct, there were only three cars in total.
Old 12 Apr 2012, 00:07 (Ref:3057527)   #3921
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Current ute racer Phonsy Mullan had a WGR VR/VS at one point didnt he?
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 12 Apr 2012, 09:06 (Ref:3057688)   #3922
Scrut
Racer

Australia
Australia
Scrut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There was one of the cars on display at the Phillip Island Classic near the Bob Jane and HDT display, and at the GP, just infront of the Group A/C pit area.
Old 12 Apr 2012, 11:32 (Ref:3057758)   #3923
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Old 14 Apr 2012, 05:06 (Ref:3058746)   #3924
rdmdog
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, NSW, or a track near you
rdmdog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Current ute racer Phonsy Mullan had a WGR VR/VS at one point didnt he?
Phons had the Rodney Forbes Ex WGR car. Morky may have ended up with one of the other Ex WGR Lansvale shells.
Old 16 Apr 2012, 10:18 (Ref:3060100)   #3925
OZ_HCR32
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post
I dont think that is a WGR car. I think you will find its the Perkins Engineering car that Gardner had built for his half attempt at Bathurst after he had packed up his own team?!?!?!?!