Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 5 Oct 2012, 12:17 (Ref:3146571)   #3951
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd yort View Post
Kevin Clarke's Mustang became a Sports Sedan. He had two Sports Sedans, I think it is his current one that is for sale that was the old Grp A car.
the Clarke Mustang was originally the Don Smith car wasn't it?

Wally Kramer's car went to Queensland in 1987 for Bruce Smith (raced it at the last meeting at Surfers Paradise)
Old 5 Oct 2012, 23:19 (Ref:3146861)   #3952
David Towe
Veteran

England
Glenmore Park NSW
David Towe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One of the Pinepac cars had a big one at morgan Park last year, so big I thought it was a write off, but apparently it went to NZ to be repaired.
Old 5 Oct 2012, 23:22 (Ref:3146863)   #3953
Carter-Nelson
Rookie

Australia
Melbourne - Australia
Carter-Nelson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi David,
I also heard it was being rebuilt in NZ, I hope its back soon...its good to see a well driven Mustang taking it to the 'Big' cars.

Nev.
Old 6 Oct 2012, 02:23 (Ref:3146902)   #3954
Redzone
Racer

Australia
Queensland, Australia
Redzone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pics were posted on the group c forum a while back of it all repaired, apparently done by the same guys that originally built it iirc
Old 6 Oct 2012, 22:27 (Ref:3147263)   #3955
Sultan
Veteran

Australia
Brisvegas, Australia
Sultan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Towe View Post
One of the Pinepac cars had a big one at morgan Park last year, so big I thought it was a write off, but apparently it went to NZ to be repaired.
But I guess that now puts it in the 'reshelled so is it still a genuine' category? :-/
Old 6 Oct 2012, 22:31 (Ref:3147265)   #3956
Carter-Nelson
Rookie

Australia
Melbourne - Australia
Hi Sultan,
check out this GCTCC forum entry that details the car was sent back to NZ and rebuild but not reshelled...Fantastic news.
[mod]Sorry, links to other forums not allowed[/mod]

Nev.

Last edited by Woolley; 8 Oct 2012 at 23:41.
Old 7 Oct 2012, 23:24 (Ref:3147916)   #3957
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I thought the Don Smith Mustang became one of the Pine Pac cars.....

Both Pine Pac Mustangs live in SE Qld. One is on the Gold Coast and for sale, in very good condition. Glenn Seton stuck it on pole at Lakeside last year, beating two Godzillas!

The other one had a big shunt testing at Morgan Park and as mentioned above was returned to it's original builder in NZ for repair. According to the owner, it wasn't reshelled. In order to preserve the car's originality, the shell was painstakingly repaired.
Old 7 Oct 2012, 23:36 (Ref:3147918)   #3958
prn 31
Racer

prn 31 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter-Nelson View Post
The Lawrie Nelson car is CofDed ready and racing. Its first historic event was Clipsal 2005 and its last was Philip Island 2010.
I believe its the longest competing Group A car in the country, its first race was Sandown 500 1984 and its last was Adelaide AGP November 1992. I'm sure its the only (legal) Mustang with a 9", and the cool engine updates...none of the other cars completed in Group A after 1987 so they couldn't take advantage of the later updates.
If you are interested, it could find a new owner...its too hard to own and race 3 cars....

Nev.
Mustang homologation blunders deserve a thread of thread of its own!

The Mustang was never homologated with the Boss block, alloy heads or 9 inch differential. Nelson put them on the Mustang and CAMS turned a blind eye - by that time Ford had moved on to the Sierras and the Mustangs were no longer competitive.

Those unhomologated components have remained on the Nelson Mustang and as it raced like that in period I presume it will be CofD with those components.
Old 8 Oct 2012, 07:47 (Ref:3148025)   #3959
Carter-Nelson
Rookie

Australia
Melbourne - Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by prn 31 View Post
Mustang homologation blunders deserve a thread of thread of its own!

The Mustang was never homologated with the Boss block, alloy heads or 9 inch differential. Nelson put them on the Mustang and CAMS turned a blind eye - by that time Ford had moved on to the Sierras and the Mustangs were no longer competitive.

Those unhomologated components have remained on the Nelson Mustang and as it raced like that in period I presume it will be CofD with those components.
Hi Paul,
yeah, there were many challenges with the homologation of most models Mustangs, Commodores, Volvos, Starions, the list goes on.
Your other point about specific parts on the Mustang is more to do with CAMS updates that were made in late 1990-91 that gave the normally asperated cars freedoms to compete against the Turbo cars. Lawrie was the only competeing Mustang in Group A at that was able to take advantage of the oportunities. I'm sure the other cars may have updated to later spec parts but didn't take part in a Group A race that would allow the update with the best livery today.
This update meant the Walkies fitted eight throttle body intakes, extensively modified heads, Hollingers, etc. The 9" diffs were allowed in about 1988 for all big cars, there are many VK's, VL's & Sierra's with them.

The really good thing with the CAMS historic rules is the aligning of the livery and the mechanical specification. If the car ran later with updates but the earlier livery is the way you want to present the car you must back-date the mechanicals to align before getting a CofD.

As it was so it shall be is the historic mantra. I bought the car from Lawrie and the EO's have been through it (and me) a few times fine tuning everything. Its right and I'm sure it would be at the pointy end with a better driver.
I went to Lakeside last year and watched Glenn put Brett's Pine Pac Mustang in front of Terry's GTR at Lakeside. Bill was really fast at MCM last month, I think it shows a well prepared Mustang in the right hands is a real weapon. Do you agree?

Nev
Old 8 Oct 2012, 23:23 (Ref:3148554)   #3960
prn 31
Racer

prn 31 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Nev,

The Mustang was always considered to be a sweet handling car. The biggest problem was that it didn’t go…! I think when Lawrie first raced the Mustang they barely had 300hp.

How DJR managed to make their Mustangs competitive, well, let’s says those Zakspeed built cars had some interesting interpretations of the homologated specification…

Ford had a history of being lax with their homologation updates. I think the Mustang missed one or two dates and in any case they weren’t really interested, the factory were racing Sierra XR4Tis and the Cosworth was just around the corner.

I’m pretty sure that DJR pushed through the Harrop modified 9 inch diff housing for the Sierra, but I don’t believe they bothered with that for the Mustang, though I can’t see how they were able to put close to 400hp through the weak 8 inch diff...
Old 18 Oct 2012, 11:31 (Ref:3153806)   #3961
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by prn 31 View Post
Hi Nev,

The Mustang was always considered to be a sweet handling car. The biggest problem was that it didn’t go…! I think when Lawrie first raced the Mustang they barely had 300hp.

How DJR managed to make their Mustangs competitive, well, let’s says those Zakspeed built cars had some interesting interpretations of the homologated specification…

Ford had a history of being lax with their homologation updates. I think the Mustang missed one or two dates and in any case they weren’t really interested, the factory were racing Sierra XR4Tis and the Cosworth was just around the corner.
Sorry to keep this a bit OT for a mo but yes it was pretty much the same story in Europe, CC Motorsport got one to go reasonably well in the 1983 ETCC with some decent money from Belga fags, but Ford weren't interested, I guess for 2 reasons: 1/ Sierra coming as you rightly say, and 2/ the car not being a European model - marketing had really taken a hold since the 60's when American muscle was actively sought for the BTCC - whereas in the 80's the win today sell tomorrow aspect would not have applied to the Mustang in the UK or Europe!!

It certainly wasn't suited to sprint racing but could've made a decent endurance car as Dicko showed in Australia.

The BTCC big class capacity limit didn't help either so CC junked the project at the end of '83 and went with BMW GB for 1984!
Old 1 Nov 2012, 04:41 (Ref:3160863)   #3962
twinwebbers
Racer

Australia
Brisbane
twinwebbers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi guys, I'm looking for some info on a Group A/C AE82 Corolla. I'm in the process of building an AE82 TwinCam for hillclimbs and simple club level motorsport and wanted to do a 'tribute' livery matching this car:

Also seen in this YouTube video at the Bathurst Museum.

Obviously if I do a 'tribute' livery I better know something about it, can anyone tell me a little history on the car.

Thanks a bunch in advance.

Last edited by twinwebbers; 1 Nov 2012 at 04:59.
Old 29 Nov 2012, 10:14 (Ref:3173009)   #3963
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst (best racetrack in the world)
mtpanorama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not quite V8 supercars, but look what has turned up.
The ex-PHR Mustang.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2002-Ford...#ht_500wt_1289

I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good, either
Old 29 Nov 2012, 11:08 (Ref:3173031)   #3964
jd yort
Veteran

Australia
On An Island
jd yort should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtpanorama View Post
Not quite V8 supercars, but look what has turned up.
The ex-PHR Mustang.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2002-Ford...#ht_500wt_1289
What an absolute mess it is. Did it turn up from the tip?
Old 29 Nov 2012, 11:38 (Ref:3173047)   #3965
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Surely that's not the cage the car competed with.
Old 29 Nov 2012, 12:39 (Ref:3173063)   #3966
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Hmm I know who bought both of those from PHR as I was spannering for him when he bought them.

Certainly something amiss there.

Did some research and found a pic of the car which has lost the white stripe at the rear, so I wonder if this is a spare shell or if the cars got split up. I was told at the time that both were bought:

geoff munday racing by palmenb, on Flickr

Last edited by Mixer; 29 Nov 2012 at 13:02.
Old 29 Nov 2012, 20:44 (Ref:3173215)   #3967
David Towe
Veteran

England
Glenmore Park NSW
I had a crack in this one a few years ago. I think it was the stablemate to the wreck in question but was in far beter condition.
Old 29 Nov 2012, 21:18 (Ref:3173229)   #3968
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

What's the deal with that cage??
Old 29 Nov 2012, 21:19 (Ref:3173230)   #3969
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst (best racetrack in the world)
mtpanorama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash Test View Post

What's the deal with that cage??
It kinda looks like it might just be sitting in their, not bolted in. At least I hope so otherwise it is a very bad example of a cage.

I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good, either
Old 30 Nov 2012, 07:53 (Ref:3173406)   #3970
David Towe
Veteran

England
Glenmore Park NSW
Did they wash the cage in hot water???
Old 30 Nov 2012, 11:22 (Ref:3173468)   #3971
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
That cant be the cage-I cant see it passing scrutinering if that was originally in the Mustang.
Old 4 Dec 2012, 05:26 (Ref:3174863)   #3972
jd yort
Veteran

Australia
On An Island
http://carsales.mobi/news/2012/sport...he-limit-33853

I thought there was only 2 Gibson HR31s?
Old 4 Dec 2012, 07:21 (Ref:3174881)   #3973
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd yort View Post
http://carsales.mobi/news/2012/sport...he-limit-33853

I thought there was only 2 Gibson HR31s?
Didn't they start 3 cars in some races?

For Richards, Fury and Skaife. Oran Park '89 ATCC for example.
Old 4 Dec 2012, 07:24 (Ref:3174883)   #3974
b195
Rookie

b195 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There are three here, at Winton in 1989: (Jim Richards #2, George Fury #3 and some youngster called Mark Skaife #12...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3ulgCnpFVI
Old 4 Dec 2012, 08:16 (Ref:3174888)   #3975
jd yort
Veteran

Australia
On An Island
So was there only 3 in total? ie The sizzler and Netcomm cars were never GMS cars were they? I am speculating the Beaurepairs car was one of the latter 2.