Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 23 May 2005, 11:08 (Ref:1307905)   #376
BlueMax
Racer

BlueMax should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The records I have here say that Pete Geoghegan drove the orange xa at Sandown. Not Leo.
David Bowden must be upset thinking that he bought the No.2 Moffat Ford XC to put in his collection. Wait till he finds out he has got a dud. The King George Tavern XD didn't get totaled in 1980 at Bathurst. In fact Dick Johnson drove it at Surfers Paradise in the 300k enduro with his motor and gearbox in it. It did however get damaged at Bathurst in 81
Old 23 May 2005, 12:10 (Ref:1307964)   #377
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The #2 Falcon from 1977 certainly wouldn't have 'become' the King George Tavern XD. The running gear certainly could have gone in, but the shell and so on that the Bowden's have presumebly is the real deal.
Old 23 May 2005, 22:19 (Ref:1308489)   #378
nkracing5
Rookie

Australia
melb
nkracing5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
blue max yes your corect it was pete i allways get them mixed up and it was in 81 the the king george car got totalled david does have the real deal as we checked the vin no before he got it and it changed owners a few times before it got any running gear and i when said it became the king george car its normal to know its only all the mech componts were used it sat around in a factory in clayton for years as a shell with fuel tank only and had to id it for a guy in 85 the he was buying it
nick karadimas
nkracing
Old 24 May 2005, 12:59 (Ref:1308956)   #379
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Breathe Mate....

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkracing5
let me clear up a few things for you experts on the moffat cars first on the xa at sandown 73 leo drove the orange car wich was howards personal car then allan rolled the 9 car at the ild ford was out of racing they gave the no 6 car to allan the spare orange car went to fred we face lifted the xa to xb it became the brute 33 car for the first race in tassie for 74 after 4 rounds it was shipped of to the states it came back for sandown and the remaining year, half way in 75 it became the city ford car in 76 that car was destroyed by fire on the way to s.a. for the a.t.c.c. round then was the moffat dealer team born in white.with the red/blue stripes it went on to bathurst ect at the end of the 77 a.t.c.c. that car was face lifted to xc and a second car was built for colin 77 bathurst car no 1 was the 76 xb that car went on to become no1 cobra then the 25 black car of 79 no 2 cobra wich was no 2 of 77 went to gibbo and became the king george taven xd wich was then totaled at bathurst in 80, all the gear out of that then went into the xe, the moffat xd was built in six weeks and was a test car ran out of time and thats why it was left yellow there was a new car for 81 that was aloted to moffat sat idel it took almost till the end of 81 before i was able to get it,it was then a xd in 83 we upgraded it to xe specs and this is in my log book the everlast xd only took the wheels/brake upgrade of 83 then ran it at state level groupc then was dead i had a almost new car that was junk parked it and between 85to90 i ran it club events in91 ran it as a sport sed with a blue back half then we were able to reform groupc races when c.a.m.s didnt want to know it the class i was going to use it only to get a groupa eb at the time then wreck the car out for parts but i got attacthed to it a kept, i also have the spare eb group a motorsport shell that was spare for cenovis car that now is a sport sedan the xd is at stuckeys is mine and not some american i also have the 69 trans-am, and the 73 xa bathurst car we use them for moffat memoribila shows for allan, allan also had two el falcon shells for 97 that were never used i still have one of them
dave the floater hub that broke at oran park did have a crack in the housing but mate dont feel bad about we have become good mates of that crash
nick karadimas
nkracing
Nick...welcome...what a brilliant lot of information...but...ya gotta take a breath when typing mate
Old 24 May 2005, 13:05 (Ref:1308957)   #380
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hsrca?

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Towe
Are you coming to The Creek in june? I'm hoping to be running then with a permit curtesy of my C of D application being lodged.
David...I assume you mean the Historic meeting....

if so...terrific news...
Old 24 May 2005, 13:11 (Ref:1308965)   #381
David Towe
Veteran

England
Glenmore Park NSW
David Towe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ahh, bad news, the gearbox we hada problem with at the Touring Car Festival is out being repaired. No big deal I hear you say, "people have boxes rebuilt all the time". Well we need a full set of synchro rings, Getrag "steel" synchros. I'm told the proverbial rocking horse poo is easy to find by comparison. Road car brass synchros won't fit, so I'm stuck between a rock and a perch on the sideline for a while.
Cheers
David
Old 24 May 2005, 13:38 (Ref:1308981)   #382
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Towe
Ahh, bad news, the gearbox we hada problem with at the Touring Car Festival is out being repaired. No big deal I hear you say, "people have boxes rebuilt all the time". Well we need a full set of synchro rings, Getrag "steel" synchros. I'm told the proverbial rocking horse poo is easy to find by comparison. Road car brass synchros won't fit, so I'm stuck between a rock and a perch on the sideline for a while.
Cheers
David
Ouch! Sorry to hear that

I wonder though... where all the bits and pieces that were around in the Group A era ended up? Young Frank would have had plenty of gearboxes for the 635 and M3 at the time... they cant all have escaped into the ether?
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 25 May 2005, 01:56 (Ref:1309510)   #383
Group'C'
Racer

Australia
Hobart /Tasmania
Group'C' should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
David
dont forget the Getrag boxes were used in the Commodores as well !

Have you tried Larry or Les Small as they may have bits lying about.
A lot of the boxes have ended up in clubcar racing. You would assume they must be getting bits from some were.
Old 25 May 2005, 09:25 (Ref:1309648)   #384
nkracing5
Rookie

Australia
melb
david,
i have a bmw like yours in our holding for a insurance comp its smashed 6cly 5spd can that help you also can you email me at nkracing@optusnet.com.au and keep me up to date with whats going on
nick karadimas
nkracing
Old 29 May 2005, 09:56 (Ref:1313254)   #385
David Towe
Veteran

England
Glenmore Park NSW
On the subject of Group A cars, does anyone have any videos of the 85 and 87 ATCCs?
Old 29 May 2005, 21:19 (Ref:1314052)   #386
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I might David, but i'd have to do a search.
Old 29 May 2005, 22:25 (Ref:1314136)   #387
nkracing5
Rookie

Australia
melb
dave,
will check the box in that b.m. and what do you need on the 85/87 touring car races i have heaps of it from 7 when mike raymond and allan moffat were doing it what is your email addy again
nick karadimas
nkracing
Old 1 Jun 2005, 07:47 (Ref:1316476)   #388
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
[QUOTE=racer69]There's a Bryan Byrt/Johnson Hardtop Falcon getting around Group C at moment (possibly in Queensland), not sure of it's history though.

The Shell and wheels are now in the Bathurst Museum on display, with new bits added to complete the car. This opens up another question, would we still call this the original car?QUOTE]
There were two Dick Johnson/Bryan Byrt XC Hardtops competing at the 2004 Qld Historic race meeting. One was painted up as Dick's second car, number 28, from Bathurst '78. (He ran a two car team that year) I think the other was painted in Dick's 1979 Bathurst colours. Both were immaculately restored. There were some rumour mongers casting aspersions on the accuracy/genuineness of one of the cars, but i can't remember which.

According to CAMS' technical manager, Peter Lawrence, the shell is the car. If you change every single component, you're left with the same car, albeit reconditoned, but if you replace the shell and even if you retain all of the other parts, you have built a new car!
Old 1 Jun 2005, 08:57 (Ref:1316530)   #389
Camaroz
Veteran

Camaroz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=DAVID PATERSON]
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69
There's a Bryan Byrt/Johnson Hardtop Falcon getting around Group C at moment (possibly in Queensland), not sure of it's history though.

The Shell and wheels are now in the Bathurst Museum on display, with new bits added to complete the car. This opens up another question, would we still call this the original car?QUOTE]
There were two Dick Johnson/Bryan Byrt XC Hardtops competing at the 2004 Qld Historic race meeting. One was painted up as Dick's second car, number 28, from Bathurst '78. (He ran a two car team that year) I think the other was painted in Dick's 1979 Bathurst colours. Both were immaculately restored. There were some rumour mongers casting aspersions on the accuracy/genuineness of one of the cars, but i can't remember which.

According to CAMS' technical manager, Peter Lawrence, the shell is the car. If you change every single component, you're left with the same car, albeit reconditoned, but if you replace the shell and even if you retain all of the other parts, you have built a new car!
One of those BB/DJ Hardtops was a road car for a long time owned by Matt Lagoon (NASCAR Owner / ex Gene Cook spanner man) here in Vic. It retained the BB blue paintwork and was running 15" x 10" Rebels.
Old 4 Jul 2005, 21:29 (Ref:1347226)   #390
anthony81901
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
anthony81901 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Over the weekend of 24th - 26th June, Peter Brock was invited to drive one of the 84 VKs at the world's most prestigous historics meeting, the Goodwood Festival of Speed in the UK. It was described in the offical program as being the 84 Bathurst winner, ie the same car he did some demo laps at the Sandown 500 and Bathurst in 03.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...79610542sjmHAt

http://www.goodwood.co.uk/fos/

Brock came 5th in the Fastest Racing Saloon section, completing the course in 54 seconds, 3 seconds slower than Anthony Reid in a 99 BTCC Nissan Primera.
Old 4 Jul 2005, 23:21 (Ref:1347319)   #391
MHDT
Racer

MHDT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The official Goodwood site does a great job in providing minimal information

Thanks for including your own photo though Anthony.

It would appear, however, that the 05 VK managed the 5th fastest time of the entire meeting.
Old 5 Jul 2005, 04:20 (Ref:1347391)   #392
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony81901
Over the weekend of 24th - 26th June, Peter Brock was invited to drive one of the 84 VKs at the world's most prestigous historics meeting, the Goodwood Festival of Speed in the UK. It was described in the offical program as being the 84 Bathurst winner, ie the same car he did some demo laps at the Sandown 500 and Bathurst in 03.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...79610542sjmHAt

http://www.goodwood.co.uk/fos/

Brock came 5th in the Fastest Racing Saloon section, completing the course in 54 seconds, 3 seconds slower than Anthony Reid in a 99 BTCC Nissan Primera.
Who's the hot chick next to Brockie?
Old 5 Jul 2005, 05:58 (Ref:1347414)   #393
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
His daughter i would assume
Old 8 Jul 2005, 02:46 (Ref:1350069)   #394
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaroz
Bowden has an LJ painted up in HDT colours that Bondy drove at Clipsal a couple of years back. The Bowdens claim that this is the ex-Allan Grice LJ Group C car (Bathurst '73). Why it is in HDT colours I don't understand.
Bowden bought this car from John Beatty who raced it in Group Nc. He painted it in HDT colours purely because he thought it would look good in amongst all the plain coloured XU-1s in the class.
Old 8 Jul 2005, 03:03 (Ref:1350076)   #395
Camaroz
Veteran

Camaroz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVID PATERSON
Bowden bought this car from John Beatty who raced it in Group Nc. He painted it in HDT colours purely because he thought it would look good in amongst all the plain coloured XU-1s in the class.
Hi David,

Thanks for that info. I was also told that the car is for sale! Bowdens don't usually sell cars so this one must be 'unwanted'.
Old 8 Jul 2005, 09:02 (Ref:1350187)   #396
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaroz
Hi David,

Thanks for that info. I was also told that the car is for sale! Bowdens don't usually sell cars so this one must be 'unwanted'.
Perhaps it's just not "significant" enough to deserve a place in the same shed as the Super Falcon, Beechey's Monaro, various Bathurst winners etc.

I would love to know the price, it's a good car, immaculate, well built and lightly used. Not to mention the Group C heritage.
Old 8 Jul 2005, 09:15 (Ref:1350197)   #397
David Towe
Veteran

England
Glenmore Park NSW
David you might be able to help me with this one, I hear there is a Group A BMW 635 for sale in QLD, who's selling it?
Old 8 Jul 2005, 10:08 (Ref:1350225)   #398
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
Sorry David, to quote Sgt Schultz, "I know nothink!"
Old 8 Jul 2005, 22:09 (Ref:1350640)   #399
David Towe
Veteran

England
Glenmore Park NSW
Thanks anyway.
Old 11 Jul 2005, 13:54 (Ref:1352624)   #400
adz_34
Racer

Australia
Somewhere out there
adz_34 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
does anyone know of any sierra's that are still in Oz? (apart from B&H car in Bathurst museum).