Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars. > New Zealand Motor Racing

Notices

Old 19 Mar 2015, 07:35 (Ref:3517010)   #376
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
promax has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
It's not an issue at the moment. I was speaking to looking beyond just one race and what is to come.
i don't think a new series.. with a brand new car is the answer. there's nothing wrong with the current cars. they still have plenty of miles in them. so why change just for the sake of changing? updating the look of the cars isn't an issue. kiwis like V8s.. so that isn't an issue. the issues were separate series and car numbers.
Old 19 Mar 2015, 20:15 (Ref:3517209)   #377
CDM
Racer

CDM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by promax View Post
i don't think a new series.. with a brand new car is the answer. there's nothing wrong with the current cars. they still have plenty of miles in them. so why change just for the sake of changing? updating the look of the cars isn't an issue. kiwis like V8s.. so that isn't an issue. the issues were separate series and car numbers.
Couldn't agree more!

With the current state of play who on earth would put their hand up & spend say $200,000+ on a new "XRMTS8V" (or whatever it may be) for a new Series???

Like it or loath it, the ONLY option for controlled formula V8 racing in NZ are the current chassis, preferably as a single class.

Anyway it will be a few years before the Falcon & Commodore actually become 'old', and its not like Ford or Holden are tipping cash into the series so manufacturer support isn't the be all & end all. Plus the bodyshell's can always be changed further down the line as has already happened with both the Hyundai V8ST and the MRX 'mule'...
Old 19 Mar 2015, 20:53 (Ref:3517225)   #378
bluespur
Racer

bluespur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
also agree - there are two current chassis - MRX (TLX) and ST - surely there is sufficient combined goodwill to develop technical specifications to incorporate both of them into a single formula
Old 19 Mar 2015, 23:42 (Ref:3517289)   #379
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There is nothing wrong with running two or three or four classes at the same time. (The successful Aussie GT series manages that.)

Every small grid effectively keeps a larger grid off the programme. Less than 15 or 20 cars on a grid and you wonder why spectators aren't interested? What is the point of having good tracks devoid of cars?
Old 20 Mar 2015, 00:21 (Ref:3517305)   #380
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
NZSTfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting development. I have been out of touch for the last few weeks, wondering what on earth is going to happen come Puke.

I agree with most on here that sees this as a positive step in the right direction. Good on the TLX owners taking up the invitation.

So with this in mind, does anybody know how many ST/TLX cars will be running at the Puke round?

I think it will be well worth watching the 2 very different concepts (that may look the same from the outside for many) race on the same grid, and presumably under the same rules? I imagine tyres will be 'kook's for the ST's and Dunny's for the TLX?

If ST can muster 10-15 cars and TLX can bring their 5 cars in, then we almost have a 'grid' of some sort.

It will be interesting to see how close the cars are in terms of performance. I will pay to go along and watch that. Hopefully other punters who have stayed away since this all started unravelling will come back to the track.

Good stuff...

Where does MSNZ sit in all this?

Stu
Old 20 Mar 2015, 00:45 (Ref:3517308)   #381
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
I've done some more digging about this, and things SEEM to be on the mend.

From what I can tell, a meeting was held last night and a certain someone has offered to buy ST as a category. Ray wants out, a certain someone is keen to pick up the pieces, merge, and move forward. This certain someone is, how do you say, quite a big deal round here (referring to an Anchorman quote!). As I understand it they are in negotiations as we speak, and some sort of result may be known by Monday. I hope it works out, as this could be a major step in moving forward.

I hear there has been some sort of agreement around working together, and the Puke round will be billed as a kinda "we got our s*** sorted now, so everyone come back to the race track'. And because both categories are not doing well, then i'd imagine that in the off season, some sort of parity measures will be worked out. So come the 2015/2016 season, we will actually see a 'new' series, whatever it will be called, and this will be made up of ST's and TLX's that have been parity adjusted. I don't know anything about the parity side of things, i.e. are ST's going to de-tune, or are TLX's going to turn the wick up. One would imagine that they would meet halfway. Either way, for this to work, it can't be dialled down too much I reckon. We have had a taste now of cars that are damn near on SC, performance wise. It would be a shame to move away from that. But i'm sure there are people who have a plan in mind....I hope.

I also wonder, that if this does pan out, will we have an enduro part of the season? Be great if they can keep that, as lets face it, the enduros were/are the only real thing that people seem to attend and like.

A new era dawns......possibly
Old 20 Mar 2015, 02:40 (Ref:3517321)   #382
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDM View Post
Couldn't agree more!

With the current state of play who on earth would put their hand up & spend say $200,000+ on a new "XRMTS8V" (or whatever it may be) for a new Series???

Like it or loath it, the ONLY option for controlled formula V8 racing in NZ are the current chassis, preferably as a single class.

Anyway it will be a few years before the Falcon & Commodore actually become 'old', and its not like Ford or Holden are tipping cash into the series so manufacturer support isn't the be all & end all. Plus the bodyshell's can always be changed further down the line as has already happened with both the Hyundai V8ST and the MRX 'mule'...
Yeah folks, no need to spazz out. I'm not talking about tomorrow, I'm talking about starting to think about a strategic plan for the future both for the series and what it could morph into at some point.
Old 20 Mar 2015, 02:43 (Ref:3517322)   #383
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZSTfan View Post
From what I can tell, a meeting was held last night and a certain someone has offered to buy ST as a category. Ray wants out, a certain someone is keen to pick up the pieces, merge, and move forward. This certain someone is, how do you say, quite a big deal round here (referring to an Anchorman quote!). As I understand it they are in negotiations as we speak, and some sort of result may be known by Monday. I hope it works out, as this could be a major step in moving forward.
We will see what happens and hopefully it all works out.
Old 20 Mar 2015, 07:07 (Ref:3517350)   #384
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
Yeah folks, no need to spazz out. I'm not talking about tomorrow, I'm talking about starting to think about a strategic plan for the future both for the series and what it could morph into at some point.
Maybe make a thread about that then? "A 2020 vision for NZ touring cars" or something...
Old 20 Mar 2015, 20:27 (Ref:3517561)   #385
E36ST
Racer

New Zealand
NZ
E36ST should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
Maybe make a thread about that then? "A 2020 vision for NZ touring cars" or something...
Hopefully a modern version of this:

Old 20 Mar 2015, 20:36 (Ref:3517567)   #386
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'd go back half a generation before that when Touring Cars were based on actual touring cars.
Old 20 Mar 2015, 23:25 (Ref:3517636)   #387
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
promax has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
This certain someone is, how do you say, quite a big deal round here

Woolley is buying ST????
Old 21 Mar 2015, 06:30 (Ref:3517682)   #388
Mark Petch
Veteran

Mark Petch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I've done some more digging about this, and things SEEM to be on the mend.

I hear there has been some sort of agreement around working together, and the Puke round will be billed as a kinda "we got our s*** sorted now, so everyone come back to the race track'. And because both categories are not doing well, then i'd imagine that in the off season, some sort of parity measures will be worked out. So come the 2015/2016 season, we will actually see a 'new' series, whatever it will be called, and this will be made up of ST's and TLX's that have been parity adjusted. I don't know anything about the parity side of things, i.e. are ST's going to de-tune, or are TLX's going to turn the wick up. One would imagine that they would meet halfway. Either way, for this to work, it can't be dialled down too much I reckon. We have had a taste now of cars that are damn near on SC, performance wise. It would be a shame to move away from that. But i'm sure there are people who have a plan in mind....I hope.

I also wonder, that if this does pan out, will we have an enduro part of the season? Be great if they can keep that, as lets face it, the enduros were/are the only real thing that people seem to attend and like.

A new era dawns......possibly
Hi Stu,
Firstly there will be no parity adjustments between ST and TLX for the coming together meeting, however, it has been agreed between the parties that an independent panel will be convened as quickly as possible to look at a cost effective formula to bring about parity, if indeed that is considered to be possible at an acceptable cost, given the significant differences in engine capacity etc.

Unless that "certain someone" has exceptionally deep pockets then there is little point in some one else owning the category with out being able to pay appearance monies, travel monies, and slash profit margin's on consumables etc, in order to guarantee a minimum of 15 cars can afford to turn up for every race.
Old 21 Mar 2015, 10:43 (Ref:3517709)   #389
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Goat Boy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Woolley is buying ST????
Old 21 Mar 2015, 21:55 (Ref:3518102)   #390
The Realist
Racer

The Realist should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Petch View Post
Hi Stu,
Firstly there will be no parity adjustments between ST and TLX for the coming together meeting, however, it has been agreed between the parties that an independent panel will be convened as quickly as possible to look at a cost effective formula to bring about parity, if indeed that is considered to be possible at an acceptable cost, given the significant differences in engine capacity etc.

Unless that "certain someone" has exceptionally deep pockets then there is little point in some one else owning the category with out being able to pay appearance monies, travel monies, and slash profit margin's on consumables etc, in order to guarantee a minimum of 15 cars can afford to turn up for every race.
That could be me and my team. However, we will wait until after the April meeting and then reconsider. This would need to be in the context of all three classes including TLX and TL to make it viable.
Old 22 Mar 2015, 01:21 (Ref:3518176)   #391
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
Quote:
Hi Stu,
Thanks Mark, well aware of all of that

I do wonder if any parity could ever be achieved between the 2 VERY different concepts?
Old 22 Mar 2015, 02:26 (Ref:3518214)   #392
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Goat Boy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
How about parity between the drivers...???
Old 22 Mar 2015, 02:58 (Ref:3518237)   #393
GHOGH
Racer

GHOGH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The nzv8 tuners thought they could get 2% power parity between the tlx and STs.
http://news.motorsport.org.nz/achiev...-tlx-v8-field/

Driver parity? - add lots of ballast to the younger lighter drivers' cars.
Old 22 Mar 2015, 09:41 (Ref:3518300)   #394
bluespur
Racer

just read the document and it would appear to me having watched TLX that the engine parity is pretty good between four makes of cars - so why could this not be used between TLX and ST

there will be gearbox ratio, suspension, brakes and tyres still different but I am sure that some of that can also be worked out as long as there is a will on both parties

I would hope that they can keep it as simple as possible also hope the 'new' group concentrate on category management and do not wish to become promoters - that sure did not work for previous ST management and NZV8s have kept away from that.

can understand Marks comments about appearance money, subsidised parts etc but most of our racing groups do not have that - so perhaps such a business model is not sustainable to the level he expects - maybe that is part of the problem.
Old 22 Mar 2015, 17:11 (Ref:3518391)   #395
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Woolley is buying ST????

Imagine, a Pom running it. The forum would melt
Old 22 Mar 2015, 18:50 (Ref:3518404)   #396
Mark Petch
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluespur View Post
just read the document and it would appear to me having watched TLX that the engine parity is pretty good between four makes of cars - so why could this not be used between TLX and ST

there will be gearbox ratio, suspension, brakes and tyres still different but I am sure that some of that can also be worked out as long as there is a will on both parties

I would hope that they can keep it as simple as possible also hope the 'new' group concentrate on category management and do not wish to become promoters - that sure did not work for previous ST management and NZV8s have kept away from that.

can understand Marks comments about appearance money, subsidised parts etc but most of our racing groups do not have that - so perhaps such a business model is not sustainable to the level he expects - maybe that is part of the problem.
Bluespur, Firstly, I never said anything about subsidized parts, I said quote "slash profit margins on parts" Secondly, when NZV8's was at its strongest we turned over $900,000 pa in parts sales, and made enough profit to pay David Slater, as a full time Series and control parts co-ordinator, and after making provisions for winter cash flow, we then dispersed the balance of the monies as appearance monies.

The promotor TMC also paid out just under under $100,000 per season in travel money.

TMC in its "heyday's" turned over just under $4million dollars, and paid some $390,000 pa in fee's and levies to it its 60% owner MSNZ plus rent etc.

I agree with you that to make a similar model work today all three parties would need to work together in the interest of the V8 Touring car community, which is why I said unless a new owner of V8 SuperTourers 2013 Limited, has very significant financial resources and is prepared to spend them, there is little point in anybody actually buying the business, least in my my opinion.
Old 22 Mar 2015, 20:24 (Ref:3518423)   #397
bluespur
Racer

Mark

Subsided or slash profit margins...basically the same thing. Competitor pays less.

Turnover on control parts sure looked as if it turned a dollar. Pity the numbers reduced and consequently money available reduced.

I am very keen to see a premier touring car category and do get annoyed to read of the bitter feeling between the two groups. I remain ever hopeful
Old 26 Mar 2015, 03:21 (Ref:3519637)   #398
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
Anyone heard anymore on the April event?

I have heard that there is still negotiations going on with regards to the purchase of ST. This may affect (apparently) the April event.
Old 26 Mar 2015, 06:29 (Ref:3519661)   #399
Mark Petch
Veteran

Quote:
Anyone heard anymore on the April event?

I have heard that there is still negotiations going on with regards to the purchase of ST. This may affect (apparently) the April event.
Hi Stu, you will be pleased to know that as of today the meeting is going ahead.

The meeting is being run and promoted by KRD [and know they are not Russian's!] and invitation's have been received by all invited class's, including all three V8 Touring car class's, Muscle cars, V8 Utes, and Supertrucks.

We Ssangyong Actyon Sport Racing have already confirmed our acceptance of the KRD invitation and will have all 30 SRS utes on the grid for that weekend.
Old 26 Mar 2015, 07:46 (Ref:3519667)   #400
Blackpearl
Racer

Blackpearl is a back marker
Quote:
Hi Stu, you will be pleased to know that as of today the meeting is going ahead.

The meeting is being run and promoted by KRD [and know they are not Russian's!] and invitation's have been received by all invited class's, including all three V8 Touring car class's, Muscle cars, V8 Utes, and Supertrucks.

We Ssangyong Actyon Sport Racing have already confirmed our acceptance of the KRD invitation and will have all 30 SRS utes on the grid for that weekend.
Who is KRD?