Old 24 Dec 2003, 23:19 (Ref:820245)   #4051
f1freak
Racer

Australia
Sydney
f1freak should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by pirenzo
Looks pretty good Chiefy, there are a couple of sections i would change, but overall it's good.

I just found this though in the net. Calabogie, is going to be a 5km (3 mile) track in Canada, the design looks good. Some of you may have already heard of it.
Anyway, found on their website a detailed track map pdf.

We are seriously lacking in detail compared to this lol (though it looks like my original proposal for the stillborn Atlas F1 Track Challenge was on the right track)
Well of course we are "seriously lacking in detail". This is something that, in my mind at least, is meant to be fun for people who don't have the power to really design a circuit. This is for people who just want to see a particular circuit be made, and who cares about where the tyre barriers go, or if we have enough run off area, or if the pit lane is too short, or anything.

This is a good learning curve though, the circuit link you posted, now we all know what its suppose to look like, and I don't think that people will really be bothered (I know I won't) to design a circuit in that depth...
Old 24 Dec 2003, 23:27 (Ref:820250)   #4052
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
guess so.

I try to add as much detail as i can be bothered.

As a general rule i'll go as far as specifying a pit lane, run off, barriers, grandstands, and roads/paths
Sometimes i'll add spectator banking, and actualy track access roads
Old 25 Dec 2003, 11:31 (Ref:820334)   #4053
the_royksopp
Veteran

Denmark
Skørping, Denmark
the_royksopp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, here, x-mas _is_ on the 24th .

Well, merry xmas!.

Good track chiefy!. Ill be gettin around to doing some edits the rest of the week .
Old 25 Dec 2003, 12:24 (Ref:820344)   #4054
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by the_royksopp
Well, here, x-mas _is_ on the 24th .

Well, merry xmas!.

Good track chiefy!. Ill be gettin around to doing some edits the rest of the week .
yep, and i said Merry Christmas just for you on the previous page
Merry Christmas all
Old 25 Dec 2003, 13:51 (Ref:820366)   #4055
Duffacus
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nottingham, UK
Duffacus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My edit of chiefy's track. I also agree with f1freak about who cares about the detail, its just the track layouts that are fun to design and edit with out all the hassle of putting lots of detial into something thats just past around for fun
Attached Thumbnails
race1.gif  

Brundle: Didn’t see too many in practice
Old 25 Dec 2003, 20:19 (Ref:820483)   #4056
crozier74
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
crozier74 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I’ve had this track for several months, but struggling to produce a detailed version in Paint (which I eventually got fed up with and abandoned) has led to it not being revealed – until now. Many of the corners draw inspiration from real life sources, which are quoted in italics. This is without doubt my favourite creation so far - then again I’ve only really done 3! I think it could be built anywhere in the world, but as I mentioned in a thread in the F1 forum recently about a funny idea I had about the Sultan of Brunei setting up a race team and getting a GP in exchange, I suppose this could be the circuit for it. Bahrain’s got a GP now, why can’t another oil-rich country too?

Ladies and gentlemen, the Brunei International Circuit... (prepare for the traditional extremely long-winded crozier74 description )

5.357 km

Sultan – The first corner is one which presents one of the best overtaking opportunities on the lap – a fairly flowing hairpin at the end of a straight. This hairpin opens out on the exit to provide a nice sweeping flow onto the following straight.

Sultana – One of the many challenging medium-speed corners on the lap, and providing a possible overtaking chance for the brave. The drivers slam on the brakes and change down into 3rd/4th gear and throw the car into the turn – the slight negative camber of the bend means it requires an aggressive driving style to take effectively, and the cautious will understeer slightly and lose time onto the following straight. Inspired by Turn 9 on the Bonus Track on F-1 World Grand Prix for the Nintendo 64.

Bandar Seri Begawan – An uphill approach into a sharp 3rd gear right-hander, another excellent overtaking spot and the last for a while as you head into a technical section of the lap.

Chicane – A very tricky medium speed bash over the kerbs, with limited runoff on the outside before the wall. Inspired by Variante Alta at Imola.

Swoops – Downhill approach into a fast flat-out left hander, with a fairly major compression in the middle of it, before heading uphill into a slightly slower medium speed right. A crest on the exit of this makes the cars go slightly light, and as a result, those too impatient or aggressive on the throttle will get out of shape and likely be overtaken down the next straight. Inspired by Eau Rouge at Spa-Francorchamps and Roundabout at Crail.

Hairpin – A downhill approach into a reasonably open 160 degree hairpin left, one of the five main passing spots on the lap.

Flick – A medium/high speed uphill right-left. Quite daunting and technical, requiring precise placement of the car. Inspired by Imola at Magny-Cours.

Sunrise – A very daunting high speed bend, with a barrier on the inside of the bend which the drivers virtually hug throughout the racing line. Climbing very steeply, the bend tightens and runs over a big crest in the final part. Only the bravest – or the craziest – can take it flat Inspired by Turn 10 at Bonus Track in F-1 World Grand Prix

Double – Another downhill approach into an overtaking spot, this time a pair of 90’s linked together to form a 180 right. Inspired by Hairpin at Larkhall.

Shell – A 160 degree hairpin left, named after one of the many oil companies responsible for the country’s economy. The last real overtaking spot on the lap – ideal for dramatic last lap lunges Flat on entry, then begins running fairly steeply downhill on the exit, creating a lovely plunging feeling halfway through. Part-inspired by Corkscrew at Laguna Seca

Final Bend – The previous short straight goes from steep downhill, flattens out a little, then goes back into steep downhill into this daunting 4th gear corner, which you must get right to have any chance of overtaking at the end of the straight. Like Turn 3, you must throw the car into the bend to prevent understeer caused by the camber.

What do you guys think?

Last edited by crozier74; 25 Dec 2003 at 20:20.
So I ride out to the old sundown
Old 25 Dec 2003, 20:24 (Ref:820484)   #4057
crozier74
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
'Doh!!!

And after all that typing, I just had to forgot to attach the image, didn't I?!?
Attached Images

Old 26 Dec 2003, 01:41 (Ref:820602)   #4058
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
i know f1freak thinks the detail is all a little unnecessary, but i enjoy the challenge of it.
I had this little track in mind, so i thought i'd just turn it into an experiment for "super detail"
It's too big to post here and not lose all the details so i put it on my track page of my site so you can see it full size

http://pirenzo1.tripod.com/index/id7.html
Old 26 Dec 2003, 02:44 (Ref:820611)   #4059
Fish_Flake
Veteran

Georgia
The Foothills of North Georgia
Fish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I like the detail. It's coming a long way from your early posts, which were about as rudimentary as you can get.
Old 26 Dec 2003, 08:07 (Ref:820666)   #4060
f1freak
Racer

Australia
Sydney
I don't think its unnecessary, I just think its not needed for everyday people like us. I do some work with detail drawings as well of tracks. I'm working on one now actually. I have two other ones on my site http://fantasytracks.2ya.com, Emert and Ropes Creek.

I ABSOLUTELY HATE working on the computer to draw up circuits. Don't know why, but ever since I was young (4), I've always drawn them on paper, and I still do. Thats why some of my straights aren't straights...but I think I do a pretty good job considering I don't use computers for my tracks...
Old 26 Dec 2003, 11:31 (Ref:820707)   #4061
the_royksopp
Veteran

Denmark
Skørping, Denmark
Interesting, pirenzo, but what are all the green mushrooms? .

Well, im working on a new track right now, which will also come up on freaks site.

About details, i dont want to mush my jpg-paint creations too much up in details. I make hg-tarmac, runoff, stands, pits and paddock. Otherwise it gets to muddy. But i usually also make a "monkey-see-monkey-do" version, just with the plain trackline. Nice and easy for editing .
Old 26 Dec 2003, 11:51 (Ref:820714)   #4062
the_royksopp
Veteran

Denmark
Skørping, Denmark
CG.

Basically, its a nice track, and could have stayed the way it was, but just made some changes that i like .

Old 26 Dec 2003, 12:07 (Ref:820719)   #4063
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Quote:
Originally posted by Fish Flake
I like the detail. It's coming a long way from your early posts, which were about as rudimentary as you can get.
Yeah, they were pretty rubbish efforts, but it was the best i could manage at the time. I was at least trying...

Quote:
Originally posted by f1freak
I don't think its unnecessary, I just think its not needed for everyday people like us. I do some work with detail drawings as well of tracks. I'm working on one now actually. I have two other ones on my site http://fantasytracks.2ya.com, Emert and Ropes Creek.

I ABSOLUTELY HATE working on the computer to draw up circuits. Don't know why, but ever since I was young (4), I've always drawn them on paper, and I still do. Thats why some of my straights aren't straights...but I think I do a pretty good job considering I don't use computers for my tracks...
I like Emert Conrad, but don't you think it's a little bit short? Ropes Creek is very nice though, top job
Tracks are the only thing i don't mind drawing on the Computer (in excel it all looks so much nice than if i draw it on a piece of paper with a pencil) Everything else i do on paper becuase for most things the Computer scrren makes things very hard to visualise. I completely understand your problem with it though, it's exactly like me, apart from with tracks (which i suspect i just got used to doing on the PC, since i've done so many of them )
Old 26 Dec 2003, 14:14 (Ref:820772)   #4064
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
EDIT - Double Post

Last edited by pirenzo; 26 Dec 2003 at 14:14.
Old 26 Dec 2003, 14:14 (Ref:820773)   #4065
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
I've done an updated version of Gentle Raceway, i've build another 1.5 miles extension to it so it's now a little over 3 miles in length.

http://pirenzo1.tripod.com/index/id7.html

(BTW Conrad, i hope you don't mind me linking to your site)
Old 26 Dec 2003, 19:18 (Ref:820857)   #4066
crozier74
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
OK, P, you just totally buried any interest in my Brunei track, after all that effort, too What do you think of it? Please

BTW, I love that Gentle Raceway Long Circuit. Not so much the short version 'cos I think it looks a bit too symmetrical and soul-less, but the long version adds some nice variety and looks great. Good work

Last edited by crozier74; 26 Dec 2003 at 19:21.
Old 26 Dec 2003, 19:20 (Ref:820861)   #4067
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Quote:
Originally posted by crozier74
OK, P, you just totally buried any interest in my Brunei track, after all that effort, too What do you think of it? Please
Sorry mate

I like it. I would perhaps ease up the final corner a bit to make it totally flat out, just to ease slipstreaming, but some parts of the circuit are very imaginative. It's got a nice overall "shape" though too
Old 26 Dec 2003, 19:21 (Ref:820862)   #4068
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
btw, could you possibly post a slightly bigger image?
Old 26 Dec 2003, 19:29 (Ref:820865)   #4069
crozier74
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Bigger as in detail, or bigger as in size-wise?

While I'm mentioning detail, my view of this detail debate is that some detail definitely adds something to the track and is a welcome addition, and some interesting graphics can beused to demostrate features such as elevation change and speed. However, I don't like too much detail, in examples such as that Calabogie one it can just clutter the image up and make the actually track difficult to pick out. IMO pirenzo's images are about as detailed as we should go and aspire to, becuase aerial photos like that do the job very nicely IMO. Here's a bigger image for you, P

--EDIT: Oops, sorry. Thought the magnifier in JPEG would make the image bigger Any other way I can do it?--

Last edited by crozier74; 26 Dec 2003 at 19:37.
Old 26 Dec 2003, 21:37 (Ref:820920)   #4070
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
are you using paint?

If so i think you can go to image attributes in one of the menus and say 400x400 pixels. Then select the area your track covers and resize it to fill the new paint area
Old 26 Dec 2003, 21:41 (Ref:820922)   #4071
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Also, i actually feel the level of detail on even my last two drawings is too much. I think you needn't go any further than to demonstrate you've thought a little about run off etc. A plain drawing of the track outline is actually much easier for other people to edit should they so wish.
I add the detail simply because i like to think about every last detail about the track, run off, barriers, grandstands etc. Lately access roads and paddock area have come onto my agenda. Those last two images represent the greatest level of detail i've yet added, and i intend to go further in the future, with much more ambitious and interesting tracks (that track is simply a mule for trying out this level of detail). Right now i'm working on a track which fills an area roughly 3000 pixels across. Shan't be finishing it any time soon though. I may not even finish it, i'm thinking about finding an actually site with actually elevations to work with

Last edited by pirenzo; 26 Dec 2003 at 21:42.
Old 26 Dec 2003, 22:21 (Ref:820935)   #4072
crozier74
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Quote:
are you using paint?

If so i think you can go to image attributes in one of the menus and say 400x400 pixels. Then select the area your track covers and resize it to fill the new paint area
Thanks very for that tip pirenzo, I'll use that on all my tracks done in Paint from now on
Attached Thumbnails
moskva3.jpg  
Old 26 Dec 2003, 22:44 (Ref:820948)   #4073
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
oh good, it works

Now i can see it a little more clearly, perhaps you might wanna soften turns 5 and 6 or remove them completely. They just don't quite fit into the overall circuit as they are.
Old 26 Dec 2003, 23:28 (Ref:820972)   #4074
Chiefy
Veteran

Germany
Cottbus, Germany.
Chiefy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm a little confused as to why people want to edit other people's tracks. Wouldn't you rather design your own? Hmm. Anyway, Duffacus, it's bound to be inevitable that I prefer my track the way I designed it - else I'd probably not have designed it like that at all. Fair enough that you have your view though.

I like your track Crozier74. Interesting design and nice pit lane! Lol.
Old 26 Dec 2003, 23:38 (Ref:820979)   #4075
f1freak
Racer

Australia
Sydney
pirenzo, thanks for agreeing with me on the 'drawing on paper' thingy. I'll add your site to mine up some time today.
Emert was my first detail drawing, I wanted to make it a small circuit, I stated in my analysis of it that it would not be suitable for F1 due to this.
I like Gentle Raceway, and the extension. I just think that the place where the extension joins back onto the original part of the circuit should be a bit different. I know that you don't have a too much room for a run-off area if you were to just join the straights together, but thats just my opinion.

crozier74, i think that your circuit is nice and all, but some flowing corners would be nice to see, rather then just straights and tight corners.