Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Closed Thread

Old 27 Dec 2003, 00:44 (Ref:821031)   #4076
crozier74
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
crozier74 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pirenzo, I stuck that chicane in there 'cos I wanted just one chicane and the Variante Alta is the best one I know of. Plus, the reasoning behind it was to slow the entry to the Swoops just a little, as I wanted them to be taken at around 140 mph, with the car still accelerating through them, rather than have them at the end of a straight and have to slow down for them. If you took away that chicane it would totally change the character of the corners. Which characteristic you prefer is of course down to personal preference
Quote:
Interesting design and nice pit lane! Lol
Thanks Chiefy! Yeah, I'm quite proud of that pit lane entrance, a pair of nicely spaced 45s seems to be a nice feed off from the track, and gives nice room for slowing down from high speed. And IMO it's important that the pit lane exit filters onto the outside, as coming out on the inside gives you the impression of being boxed
in and having everyone else turn in on you into Turn 1.

Conrad, I don't really see what you mean when you say my track has just straights and then tight corners and no flowing ones. Personally, I much prefer flowing tracks, and this is meant to be one, but perhaps the image doesn't make it look so. If you read the passage, you will see that there are a lot of medium speed corners, IMO the basis of a flowing track. Bandar Seri Begawan, Swoops, Flick, Sunrise and Final Bend are all medium/fast, and (with the exception of Bandar Seri Begawan) flowing bends, while the slower ones - Sultan, Sultana, Hairpin, Double and Shell, are intended as the designated passing spots. Hopefully you'll see that this is indeed meant to be a nice flowing course, as these are my personal favourites.
So I ride out to the old sundown
Old 27 Dec 2003, 09:06 (Ref:821131)   #4077
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Chiefy
I'm a little confused as to why people want to edit other people's tracks. Wouldn't you rather design your own? Hmm. Anyway, Duffacus, it's bound to be inevitable that I prefer my track the way I designed it - else I'd probably not have designed it like that at all. Fair enough that you have your view though.

I like your track Crozier74. Interesting design and nice pit lane! Lol.
The way we've always done it is to just draw our own tracks, and then upon posting them here we tend to spend some time discussing the track, and some people started (me i think) to edit other people's tracks to demonstrate a point. With some tracks if you look back through the thread a track has been posted, then we'd all edit it, and sort of do our own personal interpretation of it, and then the original author would put together if you like a final version based off the ideas and inputs of the other people, but still largely based off their original. Sometimes people have even just said i prefer my original. It doesn't really matter, it just encourages discussion about each track.
Old 27 Dec 2003, 09:09 (Ref:821132)   #4078
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by f1freak
pirenzo, thanks for agreeing with me on the 'drawing on paper' thingy. I'll add your site to mine up some time today.
Emert was my first detail drawing, I wanted to make it a small circuit, I stated in my analysis of it that it would not be suitable for F1 due to this.
I like Gentle Raceway, and the extension. I just think that the place where the extension joins back onto the original part of the circuit should be a bit different. I know that you don't have a too much room for a run-off area if you were to just join the straights together, but thats just my opinion.

crozier74, i think that your circuit is nice and all, but some flowing corners would be nice to see, rather then just straights and tight corners.
where the extension came back in i was dissappointed because i had intended a nice big sweeper there but realised there was no way i could do that and accomodate a large enough paddock area behind it
Old 27 Dec 2003, 11:13 (Ref:821171)   #4079
the_royksopp
Veteran

Denmark
Skørping, Denmark
the_royksopp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Chief, i do both .

Pirenzo, could you perhaps make a "easy-edit" view of Gentle Raceway? That design is not very easy to edit .

Crozier, nice track, maybe an edit will come up soon, but my newest creation is on the way .
Old 27 Dec 2003, 12:39 (Ref:821213)   #4080
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Forgotten how good the track are in here. Gentle Raceway is very good indeed.
Old 27 Dec 2003, 13:05 (Ref:821223)   #4081
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Quote:
Originally posted by the_royksopp
Chief, i do both .

Pirenzo, could you perhaps make a "easy-edit" view of Gentle Raceway? That design is not very easy to edit .

Crozier, nice track, maybe an edit will come up soon, but my newest creation is on the way .
No sooner said than done. Clockwise btw

Last edited by pirenzo; 27 Dec 2003 at 13:07.
Old 27 Dec 2003, 13:33 (Ref:821241)   #4082
the_royksopp
Veteran

Denmark
Skørping, Denmark
Thanx . That gives more of an expression of the track itself .

And its so good, it doesnt need editing .
Old 27 Dec 2003, 13:49 (Ref:821250)   #4083
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
oh, fair enough. I wanted to see what terrible damage you could inflict on it

Actually, since zero thought went into the original shorter track, that's the bit i like least, but i can't think of anything to change it without a lot of hassle to i'll leave it
Old 27 Dec 2003, 14:31 (Ref:821266)   #4084
the_royksopp
Veteran

Denmark
Skørping, Denmark

So, heres my latest:

Circuit du Cobru-Recogne.

Set in rural Wallonia, blah blah, you will get all of that on freaks site, as soon as i have written the description.

So, firstly, the graphic version. You probably know the legend by now, but theres one new, the racing school in orange, edged brown.

And now, the easy-edit version. I kept the numbers there for the sake of easyness .

Sorry if it may mess up the site design a bit . I am not the man of decreasing tracks in size .

Beware, that the drag strip is fairly long. I would guess the F1-straight is about 1,2 km's.
Old 27 Dec 2003, 14:52 (Ref:821273)   #4085
Duffacus
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nottingham, UK
Duffacus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Being as we are discussing how detailed a track should be i did a one off detailed version of my favourite track i have posted so far and this is how it came out. The black thing is the track the brown parts are the armco, the grey bits is the road that leads around the track and the green boxes are grand stands. It also has a car park at the bottom of the picture.
Attached Thumbnails
detailed.gif  

Brundle: Didn’t see too many in practice
Old 27 Dec 2003, 15:00 (Ref:821274)   #4086
the_royksopp
Veteran

Denmark
Skørping, Denmark
Interesting.

Imo, i want to do the _track_. Details that matters the track (runoff etc.) i do, but parkinglots and access roads, i dont care. I think it should still be the track that is the most important.

Armco's is irrelevant. They just follow the track in a basic distance therefrom.

I dont care if you do the parking lots and access roads, but i'm not goin'to .

Nice track btw , whaddaya think of mine?
Old 27 Dec 2003, 15:01 (Ref:821275)   #4087
the_royksopp
Veteran

Denmark
Skørping, Denmark
And are y' gonna put it up on freaks site?
Old 27 Dec 2003, 15:09 (Ref:821277)   #4088
Duffacus
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nottingham, UK
Duffacus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not sure, ordipends if i can be bothed to make out a track description. I like your track, im just not so keen on turns 7, 8 and 9. I would of just put in a long sweeping corner, and i proably would of made turn 15 come down into a small straight and made a hairpin coming back onto the main straight, a good exit to get acceleration coming out of the turn would be all the more important for that long straight while a daring driver might try and get up the inside

Brundle: Didn’t see too many in practice
Old 27 Dec 2003, 15:11 (Ref:821280)   #4089
the_royksopp
Veteran

Denmark
Skørping, Denmark
Well. I thought about just puttin' a plain, ol' chicane at 7-9. But it came out as it did.

The final sweeper at 15? I like it . Imo, there need to be at least one proper sweeper or parabolica on the track.
Old 27 Dec 2003, 15:43 (Ref:821293)   #4090
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Well, i'm not a great fan of that track TR, but it has potential, and using ideas you've already got in there, i shortened it and made it more sensible to produce the following.
(BTW, NHRA Drag Strips are quarter mile (0.4km))
Old 27 Dec 2003, 16:05 (Ref:821304)   #4091
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Quote:
Originally written by f1freak on his website
On of the members of the 10-Tenths forum ('pirenzo', also know as William Campbell) has his own website with some of his tracks.

"pirenzo a.k.a. William Campbell"

Funny how you take on a completely new identity online. FWIW, William Campbell really is my name
Old 27 Dec 2003, 16:11 (Ref:821311)   #4092
the_royksopp
Veteran

Denmark
Skørping, Denmark
Wow, that's what we call a slaughter, mr. Pirenzo aka Will Campbell .

I still like my own original .

And for the sake of it, my name is NOT Royksopp .
Old 27 Dec 2003, 16:15 (Ref:821314)   #4093
the_royksopp
Veteran

Denmark
Skørping, Denmark
Quote:
(BTW, NHRA Drag Strips are quarter mile (0.4km))
Who cares .

I wanna make a BIG dragstrip . The king o' them .

Damn, to many smilies
Old 27 Dec 2003, 17:01 (Ref:821350)   #4094
the_royksopp
Veteran

Denmark
Skørping, Denmark
So, there went the track description, the track is now sent off to Con, and we should see it on his site soon .

But you'll get it here anyway. The reason is, that i dunno how long time it will take before it comes onto fantasytracks.2ya.com, and then it will most certainly have slit off topic here.

And i think the elevation changes would change ones view of the track quite a bit .

So, here it goes:

Quote:
Cobru-Recogne is situated in the rolling Ardennes of southern Wallonia, around the towns of Cobru, Noville, Vau, Monaville, Withimont and Recogne (hence the name ). Its near the A-26, which connects it to the rest of the world. Nearest larger city (as neither Cobru or Recogne is anything to speak of) is Bastogne, famous for its biscuits, and the bike race. Nearest accessible major airport is in Luxembourg.

Now, lets take a tour 'round the track!

We start with a blast down Droit du Concorde, which is also used as a dragstrip in its full length (which is about 1,5 km's). Then we turn into the FoÃ* chicane, which is a good overtaking opportunity. It starts flat, but drops slightly downhill into the second leg. Then, droppin' down thru Noville Corner, and onto the club straight. Here we pass the Jacques Broutille Racing School, which uses a portion of the track as a practice run (turn 2-5 and taking the shortcut 'tween 6 and 2). There is aswell a high-class kart track, which is also rented out for arrangements etc.

We go north here, up Droit du Club, and into the very tight Vau hairpin, named after the town nearby. Exiting very fast thru the accelerating Le Sortie (meaning "the exit", original name "Le Sortie de Vau", but is just referred to as "Le Sortie"), and out onto the Couborcy straight.

At the end of Couborcy lies a prime overtaking spot, L'Epingle (meaning "the hairpin"). There are two short cuts here, one leading out to the exit of leg 2 of FoÃ*. This one is mainly used by the school. The other one cuts the opposite way, from the exit of leg 1, leading to the exit of L'Epingle.

Now we enter the Droite d'Opposé. This straight leads us steeply uphill, to the Jacques Broutille section. Originally, there was a steep short cut here, which still exists, but for the newly arrived F1's (Taking over the European GP from Nürburgring), there has been built a new section. As the shortcut rises dramatically in this section, the F1-section, named Jacques Broutille after the founder, goes around the hill. It consists of a tight righthander, leading into a long flat-out leftie, climbing still fairly steeply uphill, ending in an open rightie, to rejoin the Droite d'Opposé.

Still climbing uphill, we reach the third club circuit joining point. From here, the historics circuit (taking the shortcut from T1-T6, and from T7-T9) leaves the normal track, arching downwards to the Concorde straight. Here the main national circuit, hosting touringcar-events rejoins the track aswell. This track goes from the club pits at Droite Pits Secondaires, and takes the shortcut after Withimont, to climb uphill, and join the main track here.

Our uphill climb finally ends at Le Champ, a double, left right sweeper, inspired by Genting Curves at Sepang. This marks the start of the "Vieux Montaineux" area, a relatively flat section of the track. Speeding thru Le Champ, we end at the double-apexed Courbe Wallonie. This is a combo, quite like Lesmo's at Monza. Around the second apex, the track suddenly drops steeply down, providing quite a challenge for drivers. It continues its downhill curve thru the Droit Pits Secondaires, where the club pits are situated. This straight ends relatively flat, at Monaville corner. The grandstands here are double-sided, as the backside gives a magnificent view from the Plateau Monaville. From here, one can view almost the entire start/finish straight, while the Droite d'Opposé, is unfortunately hidden in trees.

From the Monaville corner, the track descends steeply in the magnificent Withimont sweep, ending on the Concorde Straight.

This is a track with 8 combinations, aside the dragstrip, and i think the full circuit would be a fairly steely challenge, given the steep elevation changes, and the pictoresque settings .

The track can be seen in its full size here: http://www.bayanit.com/upload/protec...ru-recogne.jpg

Martin Topf aka. the_royksopp or JamiroquaiDK, St.Brøndum, Denmark.
Me knows, me knows, but do yaself the favour, and read it before you post the edit . And excuse my inexcusably bad english, though, one should be able to hack oneself thru all the grammar mistakes .
Old 27 Dec 2003, 17:46 (Ref:821379)   #4095
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Quote:
Originally posted by the_royksopp
And for the sake of it, my name is NOT Royksopp .
Of course not Martijn (that is your name right?)
Old 27 Dec 2003, 18:32 (Ref:821407)   #4096
the_royksopp
Veteran

Denmark
Skørping, Denmark
Martin without the j . Martin Sidney Langdal Topf, for the sake of completion .
Old 27 Dec 2003, 18:45 (Ref:821416)   #4097
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
William Thomas Harry Crighton Campbell
Old 27 Dec 2003, 20:27 (Ref:821455)   #4098
Fish_Flake
Veteran

Georgia
The Foothills of North Georgia
Fish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Man, those are a lot of middle names!
Old 27 Dec 2003, 22:23 (Ref:821485)   #4099
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK

Crighton i don't technically have in my name anymore, it was my mum's maiden name but i like to keep it in there.
Old 27 Dec 2003, 22:28 (Ref:821491)   #4100
Chiefy
Veteran

Germany
Cottbus, Germany.
Chiefy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Understood Pirenzo. Thanks for clearing that message board custom up for me. I'm toying around with ideas for a new track but don't expect too much too soon from me! :-)
Closed Thread