Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 26 Aug 2016, 02:45 (Ref:3667599)   #4101
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
Also as posted, all the GTD cars are carrying ballast vs what their GT3 homologated weight is. This is both BOP and again, to slow them down compared to the GTLM cars.
Homologated minimum weight is "base weight", they rarely ever run at that weight anywhere. But they also rarely ever come close to the numbers in IMSA. The FIA table is +25kg and the current PWC Appendix A is +30kg for the 991. Meanwhile the Vantage runs 20kg heavier in both than in IMSA, because apparently Aston Martins must alway have really weird BoP in that series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Thanks for posting that I tend to lose track of what has happened to what car over the course of the season
Would have been better if I hadn't completely screwed up and had the BoP tables backwards. I was looking at the red "changed" text on the one pdf and thinking that was the newer one when it was the pre-race Daytona changes and VIR has only had refueling restrictor changes.

So actually for VIR it's
Aston Martin +20kg (same as Daytona, 20kg lighter than FIA)
Audi +90kg (25kg heavier than Daytona, 50kg heavier than FIA)
BMW +35kg (25kg heavier than Daytona, 15kg heavier than FIA)
Dodge +35kg (15kg heavier than Daytona, 25kg heavier than FIA)
Ferrari +65kg (45kg heavier than Daytona, 55kg heavier than FIA)
Lamborghini +90kg (40kg heavier than Daytona, 50kg heavier than FIA)
Porsche +85kg (35kg heavier than Daytona, 60kg heavier than FIA)

So all the VAG cars are running ridiculously heavy.

May as well also relative to FIA restrictor:
Aston Martin -1.3mm (-1.3mm from Daytona)
Audi +2mm (+2mm from Daytona)
Dodge n/a (+1mm from Daytona)
Lamborghini +2mm (+3mm from Daytona, except not really)
Porsche -2mm (same as Daytona)

BMW and Ferrari run less boost. BMW has more boost than Daytona. Ferrari had their rpm cut but I can't fight a Daytona boost table.

All in all it's pretty bizarre. They've gradually made GTD cars slower in the corners and mostly faster on the straights (which is supposedly what isn't wanted) and the IMSA BoP sure doesn't look very Porsche friendly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accident View Post
It's not IMSA's job to make sure manufacturer's cars are easy to drive for amateurs.
When you aren't allowed to modify the car at all and the sanctioning body changes its specifications, they have a degree of responsibility.
Old 26 Aug 2016, 04:48 (Ref:3667607)   #4102
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yep, I'll just leave this here.....

http://www.magnusracing.com/home/201...n-to-team.html

L.P.
Old 26 Aug 2016, 05:08 (Ref:3667612)   #4103
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Surprised that guy is getting the call up with his robbery fabrication in Brazil.
Old 26 Aug 2016, 09:20 (Ref:3667644)   #4104
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Surprised that guy is getting the call up with his robbery fabrication in Brazil.
Considering how corrupt Brazilian authorities are, you're going to have an uphill battle convincing most people that the official version of events has any relation to reality.
Old 26 Aug 2016, 11:24 (Ref:3667657)   #4105
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Also, we all know that Magnus has a habit of making humorous promo videos before races that poke fun at certain things, even pop culture and other sporting events. Gotta admire a team that doesn't take themselves too seriously, but gets the job done when it's time to get down to business.
Old 26 Aug 2016, 13:48 (Ref:3667686)   #4106
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post
Yep, I'll just leave this here.....

http://www.magnusracing.com/home/201...n-to-team.html

Love Magnus.
Old 26 Aug 2016, 15:32 (Ref:3667705)   #4107
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
Shots fired. Even Magnus' customary humour can't hide their opinions on the withdrawals.

Hopefully someone can tease a bit more from the crew at VIR this weekend.
Old 26 Aug 2016, 20:19 (Ref:3667739)   #4108
WolfsburgRS
Veteran

United States
Baltimore, MD
WolfsburgRS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Always good stuff from 'Magness'
Old 27 Aug 2016, 01:49 (Ref:3667769)   #4109
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
AJR and the 23 are 6mph down on top speed...

How about that BoP eh? Essentially it puts them down a few tenths on each straight. Pretty hard to make that time up over the course of a stint..
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 27 Aug 2016, 05:22 (Ref:3667787)   #4110
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMedic9019 View Post
AJR and the 23 are 6mph down on top speed...

How about that BoP eh? Essentially it puts them down a few tenths on each straight. Pretty hard to make that time up over the course of a stint..
Less than 1mph and .888 per lap at their slowest of the 2 sessions. Also some tracks are better than others for the individual cars (mfg).... we still have to see where they Q at.

http://results.imsa.com/

L.P.
Old 27 Aug 2016, 17:45 (Ref:3667879)   #4111
BrentJackson
Racer

Canada
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
BrentJackson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBrentJackson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Less than 1mph and .888 per lap at their slowest of the 2 sessions. Also some tracks are better than others for the individual cars (mfg).... we still have to see where they Q at.

L.P.
Save your breath Horndawg. This bunch is pretty much a crowd of 'IMSA can do nothing right' people.
Old 27 Aug 2016, 18:02 (Ref:3667883)   #4112
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!
I think it would be better if you saved your breath until you had something better to contribute than insulting everyone, but hey what do I know?

If Corvette Racing was 9/10 off front running pace would anyone be using it as an example if good BoP?
Old 27 Aug 2016, 19:34 (Ref:3667899)   #4113
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

That's a lap average speed. I said top speed. I also said "a few tenths" Which, 8 tenths would be that.

When a driver of that car, (the pro specifically) says they can't keep up. I'll take his word for it...
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 27 Aug 2016, 23:10 (Ref:3667927)   #4114
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Not interested in this specific fight, but there is a specific meaning for BoP:

Balance of Performance.

Bop exists so heavy and light cars, blocky and sleek cars, rear-, mid-, and front-engined cars can all compete on a level field. The whole point of BoP is to level that field.

Anyone saying the 911 cannot be BoP'd to work needs to watch PWC or SRO Blancpain. It holds up against Bentleys, and McLarens, Ferraris and AMG Mercedes.

If a freaking Bentkly can be BoP'd to be able to beat a Ferrari ... getting a 911 to keep up with a Lambo or a Viper can't be too hard.

I'd say there is politics as well as bad BoP involved here and while I don't think IMSA can never do anything right ...

Seems to me a series which announces BoP changes for almost every track, is way off track.
Old 29 Aug 2016, 13:21 (Ref:3668388)   #4115
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
http://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/co...-with-porsche/

CORE to move to GTD, possibly before the end of the season.
Old 29 Aug 2016, 14:09 (Ref:3668400)   #4116
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
That will be cool to see; their 997 livery was one of my favourites in recent years. Just happy that Jon Bennett wants to stay involved and keep driving, he and Colin will fit great in any class.
Old 29 Aug 2016, 15:43 (Ref:3668417)   #4117
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
I do wonder where this might leave the GTLM program, though any move to DPI or GTD I'd assume won't directly effect GTLM since it'll involve the current LMPC team. However, Core is the "owner of record" for the GTLM cars, and we know that those cars have been everywhere this season, from up front, to also rans, to battering rams.
Old 29 Aug 2016, 15:44 (Ref:3668418)   #4118
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
It'll probably strengthen the GTLM programme.
Old 29 Aug 2016, 15:58 (Ref:3668420)   #4119
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
http://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/co...-with-porsche/

CORE to move to GTD, possibly before the end of the season.

This is the ONLY thing that I found in 365's piece that is fact, or if you prefer, from the horse's mouth so to speak. Not saying which one is or isn't correct.....

"CORE’s Chief Operating Officer Morgan Brady told Sportscar365 they have have evaluated multiple options for 2017 but are not in a position to make any announcements at this time.

“We’re glad the series has provided clarity on the future of the PC class in a timely manner,” Brady told Sportscar365 during last weekend’s IMSA race at Virginia International Raceway.

“Over the past months we have been evaluating several options depending on the direction of IMSA. There is a clear path for CORE autosport going forward. You can expect an announcement from us before the end of the year.”

or

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2016/0...s-in-2017.html

L.P.
Old 29 Aug 2016, 16:58 (Ref:3668429)   #4120
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
It'll probably strengthen the GTLM programme.
I think all of the non Ford or Chevy GTLM teams have a case to make driver/pit crew/team personnel changes by Daytona 2017. Even Risi as I wonder if Giancarlo Fisichella is not the driver he used to be perhaps.
Old 29 Aug 2016, 17:00 (Ref:3668430)   #4121
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger Davies View Post
That will be cool to see; their 997 livery was one of my favourites in recent years. Just happy that Jon Bennett wants to stay involved and keep driving, he and Colin will fit great in any class.
Also lets see if a Bruan/Bennett combo can make a quick splash and make the #22 WeatherTech MacNeil guys look silly for their stunts.
Old 29 Aug 2016, 17:08 (Ref:3668432)   #4122
Bob Baldwin
Racer

United States
Shelbyville Ky
Bob Baldwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well I have to admit I had to read both links twice , There certainly seems to be a few differences between the two . Noting that SC365 has made a " FEW" mistakes in the past leaves me to think " Take the Wait and See Attitude " Though overall down the road either way the news should all be Good .
Old 29 Aug 2016, 18:11 (Ref:3668446)   #4123
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
Also lets see if a Bruan/Bennett combo can make a quick splash and make the #22 WeatherTech MacNeil guys look silly for their stunts.
The #23 continues to do that every weekend.
Old 29 Aug 2016, 19:35 (Ref:3668471)   #4124
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
This is the ONLY thing that I found in 365's piece that is fact, or if you prefer, from the horse's mouth so to speak. Not saying which one is or isn't correct.....

"CORE’s Chief Operating Officer Morgan Brady told Sportscar365 they have have evaluated multiple options for 2017 but are not in a position to make any announcements at this time.

“We’re glad the series has provided clarity on the future of the PC class in a timely manner,” Brady told Sportscar365 during last weekend’s IMSA race at Virginia International Raceway.

“Over the past months we have been evaluating several options depending on the direction of IMSA. There is a clear path for CORE autosport going forward. You can expect an announcement from us before the end of the year.”

or

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2016/0...s-in-2017.html
So a CORE Porsche entry in GTD for the last two races of 2016 before potentially stepping up to the prototype class in 2017 then...?
Old 30 Aug 2016, 00:00 (Ref:3668521)   #4125
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
So a CORE Porsche entry in GTD for the last two races of 2016 before potentially stepping up to the prototype class in 2017 then...?
That sounded like the most likely thing to me. How many of the GTD guys have an in-house Porsche tech or even the support Core has had running the GTLM cars? The new 911 GTLM car debuts next spring so could this be a sign of Porsche moving support to another team or in house for 2017? But Core has been pretty tight lipped about 2017 other than they'll have an announcement soon for 2017's plans so who knows, GTD, GTLM, P2 could all be in the mix.