Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 9 May 2016, 02:57 (Ref:3640237)   #4176
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Kinda sad. His stint was cut short because the car died on him during his stint. Who drove the electric only lap? Hopefully Nakajima
Old 9 May 2016, 05:56 (Ref:3640250)   #4177
GasperG
Veteran

Slovenia
GasperG has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GasperG View Post
Ok, so they did 7 km at around 80 kph, how much energy would be needed? I think that 2.2 kWh (8 MJ) should be more than enough, maybe they even pumped up the tires for lower rolling resistance
I forgot they didn't have 8MJ for the lap, because this is not LeMans, how much did they have? 5 MJ? 1.4 kWh? Still possible for 7km@80 kph.
Old 9 May 2016, 06:22 (Ref:3640256)   #4178
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Kinda sad. His stint was cut short because the car died on him during his stint. Who drove the electric only lap? Hopefully Nakajima
Timing sheets say it was Buemi.
Old 9 May 2016, 20:36 (Ref:3640468)   #4179
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Car by car report from DSC talks about there being more charge left in the battery after Buemi's electric lap.
Quote:
despite Sebastien Buemi losing power to drive the car beyond La Source after crossing the line, showed substantial charge left in the battery pack – More to learn (and to unlock) from this package yet for Toyota)
Toyota's batteries seem to be plenty powerful. I think this car has a load of potential all things considered. Sad about the engine issue. Davidson remarked they tested plenty and this never came up. At least they have time to fix it before LM.
Old 9 May 2016, 20:45 (Ref:3640474)   #4180
MyNameIsNigel
Veteran

Switzerland
Lake Geneva Area
MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Car by car report from DSC talks about there being more charge left in the battery after Buemi's electric lap.

Toyota's batteries seem to be plenty powerful. I think this car has a load of potential all things considered. Sad about the engine issue. Davidson remarked they tested plenty and this never came up. At least they have time to fix it before LM.
Buemi most likely left the pits for that last electric-only lap with a fully charger battery (it being to be remembered that the ES - i.e.batteries - can be charged while the car sits stationary inside the garage). I don't believe that one should read too much into the fact that there was still some energy left in the batteries at the end of that lap.

Funnily, the car stopped on track after crossing the start/finish line and marshals had to push the car to the parc fermé.
Old 9 May 2016, 20:52 (Ref:3640477)   #4181
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It might be a little Colin Chapman to say this, but that might indicate the battery is too 'big' or it could have gone faster.

Random thought that is probably not linked to this, but it did make me think it. Do you think the teams put 'bigger' batteries in to allow for any degradation through the race?
Old 9 May 2016, 21:10 (Ref:3640485)   #4182
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
At least they have time to fix it before LM.
That's the one silver-lining here. This sort of issue instantly reminded me of Peugeot's 2010 fiasco at Le Mans which turned out to be rooted in faulty parts/wrong material choice.

If it's that kind of issue it should well addressable in a month, a substantial design flaw within the engine probably wouldn't be, but that one isn't too likely if this really never happened during testing (which I find believable because they seemed genuinely flabbergasted by it).

If they can get the car reliable and squeeze even more performance out of it they should be well setup for Le Mans. Still, I feel this year's race might come a tad early for the TS050, I expect the car to get stronger over the latter part of the season and give them the chance to really attack in 2017, hopefully with that third car as well.
Old 9 May 2016, 21:34 (Ref:3640495)   #4183
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Toyota

Any Racing Engine can fail at any time, it's just one of those things that can happen!

Dissapointing when you are leading, but mechanical failures are a part of motor sport.
Old 9 May 2016, 23:12 (Ref:3640510)   #4184
TF110
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
It might be a little Colin Chapman to say this, but that might indicate the battery is too 'big' or it could have gone faster.

Random thought that is probably not linked to this, but it did make me think it. Do you think the teams put 'bigger' batteries in to allow for any degradation through the race?
It would make sense, but these teams seem to be weight conscious so who knows? I think they may have more juice in the battery than what they know how to extract. They made gains with the capacitor over it's lifetime.
Old 10 May 2016, 06:16 (Ref:3640553)   #4185
GasperG
Veteran

Slovenia
Quote:

The only surprising thing here is Toyota being surprised by this, if that is true. Don't they know how their battery pack and battery management system (BMS) works?

Generally speaking full capacity of any li-on battery pack is newer unlocked by the management system and that is for a reason - longer life. With the race car the most crucial part is power rating, capacity comes second. I wouldn't be surprised if BMS allows only 40%-60% of the capacity to be utilized.
Old 10 May 2016, 06:30 (Ref:3640554)   #4186
roderick
Racer

Japan
roderick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridroderick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GasperG View Post
The only surprising thing here is Toyota being surprised by this, if that is true. Don't they know how their battery pack and battery management system (BMS) works?

Generally speaking full capacity of any li-on battery pack is newer unlocked by the management system and that is for a reason - longer life. With the race car the most crucial part is power rating, capacity comes second. I wouldn't be surprised if BMS allows only 40%-60% of the capacity to be utilized.
Regards with battery for Hybrid system, They usually use battery SOC from 80~30% Given their requirement of only having have to complete a lap. I believe they've charged the battery to almost full in the pit, then used almost all (below20%) to get the most out of the cells.

They were surprised cos no one has done it before and it was design to be used with high discharge and charge cycle throughout the lap.(max speed was just above 100kph, going down the slope must have been zero throttle.
Old 10 May 2016, 06:46 (Ref:3640557)   #4187
GasperG
Veteran

Slovenia
True it has newer been done before, but car dying and surprise to see there was charge left is a surprise statement. But it could be reporter misinterpreting Toyota statement.
Old 10 May 2016, 07:01 (Ref:3640563)   #4188
MyNameIsNigel
Veteran

Switzerland
Lake Geneva Area
MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!
There is a good read about the TS050 in the latest issue of RCE.

Seems that they had to do some compromise on the TS050 in terms of the through-flow aero concept of the car. It was originally contemplated to improve air flow in the side pods and around the engine (at that time it was still contemplated to stick with the NA V8 engine) but that the turbos and intercoolers now sit right in that path, which compromises drag. We shall see if this becomes an issue at Le Mans where aero efficiency and low drag are key.

The article also confims that Toyota may have to design a new engine (mono-turbo ?) or have to find a very clever ERS-H solution that would be compatible with the twin-turbo architecture they are currently using if they want to make the jump to 10MJ in 2018.
Old 10 May 2016, 11:02 (Ref:3640595)   #4189
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsNigel View Post
The article also confims that Toyota may have to design a new engine (mono-turbo ?) or have to find a very clever ERS-H solution that would be compatible with the twin-turbo architecture they are currently using if they want to make the jump to 10MJ in 2018.
If they keep the twin-turbo arrangement they'd probably need to route the exhausts back into a single pipe and feed that into a Porsche-style downstream ERS-H.
Old 10 May 2016, 19:44 (Ref:3640697)   #4190
TF110
Veteran

United States
Quote:

Seems that they had to do some compromise on the TS050 in terms of the through-flow aero concept of the car. It was originally contemplated to improve air flow in the side pods and around the engine (at that time it was still contemplated to stick with the NA V8 engine) but that the turbos and intercoolers now sit right in that path, which compromises drag. We shall see if this becomes an issue at Le Mans where aero efficiency and low drag are key.

Based on the pace and top speed they had at the prologue with the LM package, I think they're doing a good enough job with this 'compromise'. The LM package, according to Davidson, isn't meant for anywhere but LM and wouldn't have worked even at Spa. But they were faster than last year's car with it at the Prologue even though that was the first time turning laps in it! So I'm optimistic about it and we'll hopefully see some pics of it at the test at Spa.
Old 12 May 2016, 03:04 (Ref:3641029)   #4191
tyronnezx
Racer

Sri Lanka
New Zealand
tyronnezx has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Based on the pace and top speed they had at the prologue with the LM package, I think they're doing a good enough job with this 'compromise'. The LM package, according to Davidson, isn't meant for anywhere but LM and wouldn't have worked even at Spa. But they were faster than last year's car with it at the Prologue even though that was the first time turning laps in it! So I'm optimistic about it and we'll hopefully see some pics of it at the test at Spa.
Optimistic shoud be your middle name ay
Old 12 May 2016, 06:40 (Ref:3641055)   #4192
gustavobamba
Veteran

Portugal
Viana do Castelo
gustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Toyota will face the problems of bringing a new car to Le Mans but one thing is sure.... if they manage to stay reliable they will have a chance to win. This year will be very open.

This new TS 050 is way better then last year car... probably still fragile but let´s see what the Le Mans aero could do!!!!

Le Mans 2016 will be a very, very nice race
Old 12 May 2016, 09:05 (Ref:3641077)   #4193
GasperG
Veteran

Slovenia
Wasn't Toyota the only one that showed LeMans package at Prologue? At this point we can only say that we have absolutely no idea how they will compare.

So far performance of all three manufacturers was competitive, Porsche still has the edge but not by much. LeMans will definitely be a great fight.
Old 12 May 2016, 15:01 (Ref:3641145)   #4194
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

Yes the RCE article is good, and they managed to tease some rather candid an honest views from the TMG staff. I must say most of the theories for swapping to a forced-induction engine are about 40 years old, so they say the NA engine has a very narrow operating window......NOOOOO! REALLY??? AND ITS TAKEN YOU HOW MANY YEARS TO REALIZE THIS???.....to this day I am still gob-smacked they implemented a normally-aspirated solution.......

regarding single turbo, I think its only a matter of time before they realise the old indy-car solution is the way forward, whereby a single turbo can be packaged inside the bell-housing, nice and low, compact and out of the air-stream, Ferrari and Sauber are currently doing something similar.......personally I think Toyota will suffer at LeMans because of the twin-turbo set-up, as it will choke the flow through the side pods and not exactly reduce drag, but all that aside, it was really nice to see the Toyotas take on Porsche and Audi at Spa, they certainly now have found some pace!
Old 12 May 2016, 17:37 (Ref:3641173)   #4195
TF110
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by knighty View Post
Yes the RCE article is good, and they managed to tease some rather candid an honest views from the TMG staff. I must say most of the theories for swapping to a forced-induction engine are about 40 years old, so they say the NA engine has a very narrow operating window......NOOOOO! REALLY??? AND ITS TAKEN YOU HOW MANY YEARS TO REALIZE THIS???.....to this day I am still gob-smacked they implemented a normally-aspirated solution.......

regarding single turbo, I think its only a matter of time before they realise the old indy-car solution is the way forward, whereby a single turbo can be packaged inside the bell-housing, nice and low, compact and out of the air-stream, Ferrari and Sauber are currently doing something similar.......personally I think Toyota will suffer at LeMans because of the twin-turbo set-up, as it will choke the flow through the side pods and not exactly reduce drag, but all that aside, it was really nice to see the Toyotas take on Porsche and Audi at Spa, they certainly now have found some pace!
Did you forget about the TS020 running a TT V8 in 1998 and 1999? The area in the sidepods don't look much larger than last year but you can see the intercoolers take up some real estate.

here's the new car's sidepod layout somewhat exposed

here's another image I caught from twitter

quite compact like he notes.
Old 13 May 2016, 12:16 (Ref:3641343)   #4196
Japanese Samurai
Veteran

Japan
Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!
Toyota spent more than 80 % of development resources on the LM spec aero according to the Japanese Autosport magazine.
Old 13 May 2016, 12:43 (Ref:3641345)   #4197
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japanese Samurai View Post
Toyota spent more than 80 % of development resources on the LM spec aero according to the Japanese Autosport magazine.
Not really a surprise there, toyota want to win the big one more than anything, to finally match Mazda and be able to claim the victory that has so cruelly avoided them in the past
Old 13 May 2016, 18:25 (Ref:3641435)   #4198
TF110
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japanese Samurai View Post
An amazing fact. Bodes well for them seeing that the high downforce package worked very good at Spa. If the LM-spec does as good it should be a great performer. I posted it before, but the LM package went faster than last year's car at the Prologue despite that being it's first running.
Old 13 May 2016, 21:30 (Ref:3641464)   #4199
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Sport Auto is reporting that there's no 30 endurance tests scheduled before LM for them to sort out the Spa engine issues.
Old 14 May 2016, 03:54 (Ref:3641509)   #4200
TF110
Veteran

United States
But they do have a two-day test at Spa in a couple weeks http://tentenths.com/forum/showpost....postcount=7805