Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 23 Oct 2023, 22:35 (Ref:4182702)   #401
coffinpilot
Veteran

coffinpilot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting format. I'd like to think I can see advantages and disadvantages, or have the ability to predict how it works out, But I can't. it's a 'suck it and see' type of thing for me.
One thing I'm fairly sure of is that a team will figure a way of running it better for the first few rounds, then everybody will copy. These things usually go like that!

The thing is, the BTCC does depend on a decent amount of 'casual' fans - look at the YouTube viewing figures for qualifying, they just want to see the races, if that wasn't the case they'd be in the hundreds of thousands instead of a few thousand for some rounds and 50,000+ for others, so the majority won't care too much. If it doesn't shake up the races (which I very much doubt it would for the most part) they won't care. If the powers that be think a format change is needed somewhere, then I don't think they'll get the results they want from this, but it's enough to satisfy the mantra of 'we are progressing' to stop more extreme ideas like putting the reverse grid race (with places 10-16 drawn for pole) as the second race, with that one deciding the grid for R3!!
Old 24 Oct 2023, 06:53 (Ref:4182726)   #402
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
I still think having two quali sessions would be better and the times for one sorts the first race and the times for the other sorts race 2. I don’t think sorting the race 2 grid in the race 1 finishing order generates the best possible racing.
Old 24 Oct 2023, 11:47 (Ref:4182762)   #403
pimmy
Veteran

England
Witney
pimmy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think they've missed a trick by not calling it the "Kwik Six". Would tie-in with the sponsor quite nicely.
Old 24 Oct 2023, 11:52 (Ref:4182764)   #404
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by pimmy View Post
I think they've missed a trick by not calling it the "Kwik Six". Would tie-in with the sponsor quite nicely.

Give them a little time in which to read your post!
Old 24 Oct 2023, 12:02 (Ref:4182765)   #405
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Give them a little time in which to read your post!
Not really the PR is back in the days of Ford Capris....lazy and unimaginative
Old 24 Oct 2023, 17:32 (Ref:4182828)   #406
coffinpilot
Veteran

coffinpilot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
Not really the PR is back in the days of Ford Capris....lazy and unimaginative
Funnily enough, for at least half of the BTCC rounds this year I've found a set of four or five MK3 Capris on the way to the races pootling along in the middle lane, as you say, lazy and unimaginative - even when I'm a passenger in the wife's Yaris s she bombs past them at 65mph.....
Old 25 Oct 2023, 08:21 (Ref:4182905)   #407
ChrisA
Veteran

England
Sutton In Ashfield
ChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I see that TOCA are introducing an ''indy'' style qualifying system next year, leading to a top six shoot out. Could be interesting?
Old 25 Oct 2023, 19:45 (Ref:4182992)   #408
SV8Predator
Racer

SV8Predator User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA View Post
I see that TOCA are introducing an ''indy'' style qualifying system next year, leading to a top six shoot out. Could be interesting?
See post #391 and all the subsequent replies!
Old 30 Oct 2023, 11:08 (Ref:4183674)   #409
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
All cars to receive double amount of hybrid-turbo boost next season

https://www.btcc.net/2023/10/30/btcc...BSwR2uH2j8pEP8
Old 30 Oct 2023, 11:14 (Ref:4183676)   #410
Robin Marriott
Veteran

Robin Marriott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It’d be interesting to see some actual numbers, because they must be approaching the point where its impossible to make more power work with FWD.
Old 30 Oct 2023, 11:23 (Ref:4183681)   #411
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjones View Post

Additionally from Autosport - “It is understood that there will likely be no significant changes to the 2023 rules on number of seconds’ usage of hybrid per qualifying lap and number of laps in the race.”

Seems like it was needed, hopefully it makes the difference.
Old 30 Oct 2023, 12:01 (Ref:4183687)   #412
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not sure if I'm happy with this tweak. I understand the races were not as 'action-packed' in the last two years as before but I'm afraid the 'artificial aspect' will return next year with the best drivers struggling to defend their podium positions and needing to salvage for 4-5th position in most races. With this overtaking can simply be passing with no opportunity to fight. Perhaps pleasing for those who want to see action for action's sake but not necessarily for me. Hopefully the difference will not be so big but I'm sceptical at the moment.
Old 30 Oct 2023, 12:09 (Ref:4183689)   #413
Robin Marriott
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Marriott View Post
It’d be interesting to see some actual numbers, because they must be approaching the point where its impossible to make more power work with FWD.
Had a quick look online. In a Carwow video from 2021 they quote the Corolla at 370bhp and the 2022 Hybrid car as having an additional 40.

That’s the old engine though and I can’t imagine giving a real number, more or a conservative guess.

Either way, that “370bhp” plus the 80bhp from doubling the current hybrid is 450bhp. That’s A LOT.
Old 30 Oct 2023, 12:29 (Ref:4183694)   #414
SSmith
Veteran

SSmith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Had a quick look online. In a Carwow video from 2021 they quote the Corolla at 370bhp and the 2022 Hybrid car as having an additional 40.

That’s the old engine though and I can’t imagine giving a real number, more or a conservative guess.

Either way, that “370bhp” plus the 80bhp from doubling the current hybrid is 450bhp. That’s A LOT.
Autosport's more conservative numbers came to 375bhp engines and hybrid boost in 2023 being 30bhp. Even accounting for a more conservative estimate you still get 435bhp for 2024 which is a lot in a FWD car.

I'll reserve my full judgement on the impact it'll have on racing action until April 2024, but for now I think its good to see a willingness from BTCC stakeholders to experiment.
Old 30 Oct 2023, 12:33 (Ref:4183696)   #415
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
According to a quote from when Cosworth were developing the system, they took the figure of 40 bhp for 15 seconds and worked backward to decide battery capacity, battery voltage, type of electric motors, how much re-gen was required, etc.

Doubling the output is more than just turning a dial. I wonder how much surplus capacity was in the original design or if it will require hardware changes to achieve.
Old 30 Oct 2023, 12:41 (Ref:4183698)   #416
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
According to a quote from when Cosworth were developing the system, they took the figure of 40 bhp for 15 seconds and worked backward to decide battery capacity, battery voltage, type of electric motors, how much re-gen was required, etc.

Doubling the output is more than just turning a dial. I wonder how much surplus capacity was in the original design or if it will require hardware changes to achieve.
think you might have missed that the extra next year comes from turbo boost
Old 30 Oct 2023, 12:52 (Ref:4183701)   #417
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
It will (as currently) only be available above a certain speed and gearing point, when the traction has already been established.
Old 30 Oct 2023, 12:55 (Ref:4183702)   #418
Robin Marriott
Veteran

I missed that too. It’s good news that they’ve gone that way with it, additional boost is free, more hybrid would have had to come with a weight penalty.
Old 30 Oct 2023, 12:58 (Ref:4183704)   #419
Robin Marriott
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
It will (as currently) only be available above a certain speed and gearing point, when the traction has already been established.
Appreciate that but even in a perfect scenario there’s a limit to how much power the tyre can cope with. Put 800bhp through it and it won’t manage. At some point above the currently power levels, it’ll be a traction issue regardless of any variables like speed.
Old 30 Oct 2023, 12:58 (Ref:4183705)   #420
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by touring fan01 View Post
I did, although reading the article it will be increased hybrid as well as turbo boost.
Old 30 Oct 2023, 13:11 (Ref:4183709)   #421
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

Quote from the BTCC website:

Quote:
Next year’s increased power levels will be through a combination of both hybrid and turbo boost, with the final figure being double of that available during the 2023 season. The combined hybrid-turbo boost will work completely in tandem and will be deployed via the same original HEM system.
Old 30 Oct 2023, 13:44 (Ref:4183715)   #422
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Quote from the BTCC website:
yeah
everyone seemed to have thought the extra came just from hybrid and nobody mentioned the new turbo boost
Old 30 Oct 2023, 13:58 (Ref:4183718)   #423
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
yeah
everyone seemed to have thought the extra came just from hybrid and nobody mentioned the new turbo boost
Political spin.

Call it increased hybrid boost when in fact nothing extra is coming from "hybrid" at all
Old 30 Oct 2023, 14:03 (Ref:4183719)   #424
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
So, along with the electrical power boost, the drivers will also have additional power provided by more turbo boost at the same time?
This should lead to some topsy-turvey race results!
Old 30 Oct 2023, 14:08 (Ref:4183720)   #425
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjones View Post

Bearing in mind how little the Championship leader ( read Ash Sutton!) Had all year things maybe tougher for him next year!