Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 16 Sep 2016, 23:34 (Ref:3672899)   #4301
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Without factory backing ESM's gonna have a hard time keeping up. Good luck to them, but I don't expect much from this program.
Old 16 Sep 2016, 23:42 (Ref:3672909)   #4302
DeezPutz
Racer

DeezPutz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDeezPutz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What a day filled with big IMSA news. 2017 is looking so bright we'll need shades.
Old 16 Sep 2016, 23:42 (Ref:3672910)   #4303
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
There's no confirmation of factory backing, at this time. That's all Nissan has said. So that possibility is still alive.
Old 17 Sep 2016, 00:48 (Ref:3672925)   #4304
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
With a Nissan engine they'll eventually have some bodywork or something won't they? Or we will just 'wink-wink' call the Nissan a Gibson and hope no one notices?
Old 17 Sep 2016, 02:54 (Ref:3672945)   #4305
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
With a Nissan engine they'll eventually have some bodywork or something won't they? Or we will just 'wink-wink' call the Nissan a Gibson and hope no one notices?
IMSA is still requiring bodywork as well if a team wants to use anything other than the Gibson engine, and they do not look likely to budge on it anytime soon.
Old 17 Sep 2016, 15:30 (Ref:3673053)   #4306
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
A lot of info in the morning news from sportscar365 at COTA:

Michael Shank confirmed on Friday that John Pew will not return to the team after a ten-year run. Pew is expected to continue driving, but potentially in a different series.

***The first Ligier JS P217 is scheduled to begin testing in the U.S.by the end of October. Onroak Automotive’s Ethan Bregman told Sportscar365 that an extensive testing program is planned for Sebring, prior to the IMSA-sanctioned test at Daytona in November. Bregman said he expects multiple cars to be competing in the WeatherTech Championship full-time next year.

***Three Ligier JS P3s have already been sold for competition in the new IMSA Prototype Challenge series next year, with Bregman anticipating a field of six to seven JS P3s for the new-look championship. The JS P3 is currently the only car that’s both homologated and currently in production.
Old 17 Sep 2016, 16:16 (Ref:3673072)   #4307
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
A lot of info in the morning news from sportscar365 at COTA:

Michael Shank confirmed on Friday that John Pew will not return to the team after a ten-year run. Pew is expected to continue driving, but potentially in a different series.

***The first Ligier JS P217 is scheduled to begin testing in the U.S.by the end of October. Onroak Automotive’s Ethan Bregman told Sportscar365 that an extensive testing program is planned for Sebring, prior to the IMSA-sanctioned test at Daytona in November. Bregman said he expects multiple cars to be competing in the WeatherTech Championship full-time next year.

***Three Ligier JS P3s have already been sold for competition in the new IMSA Prototype Challenge series next year, with Bregman anticipating a field of six to seven JS P3s for the new-look championship. The JS P3 is currently the only car that’s both homologated and currently in production.
1. A guess about Pew..the ELMS would be first, second guess the IMSA LMP3 series
2. How about that. ESM going to IMSA full time again. What a big boost.
3. Hope these orders are from existing LMPC teams. Maybe a team like JDC/Miller will end LMPC entirely after the 24 and the 12 and start running the LMP3 series after that.
Old 17 Sep 2016, 17:46 (Ref:3673117)   #4308
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
3. Hope these orders are from existing LMPC teams. Maybe a team like JDC/Miller will end LMPC entirely after the 24 and the 12 and start running the LMP3 series after that.
The one thing we do know, it won't be a success, and nobody has money to make them run or buy them. #sarcasm.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 17 Sep 2016, 18:18 (Ref:3673136)   #4309
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMedic9019 View Post
The one thing we do know, it won't be a success, and nobody has money to make them run or buy them. #sarcasm.
It takes only the smallest fraction of brainpower to be able to tell who you're trying to poke fun at with those comments. I don't care particularly care about people wanting to poke fun at things when I get something wrong, but could you please actually try to get your sarcasm on point as to what I said rather than making things up? All I ever said is that it makes no sense for a series on that level to run equipment that expensive, not that nobody's going to bother. Sure, I did say you can't be expecting the teams currently in Lites to be spending that kind of money, but that's far from NOBODY. (it's also only HALF of the reason I said the Lites plan makes no sense, and the reasoning doesn't add up if you don't take the other half into account)

Incidentally, I know of a team that's planning to run two JSP3s in the series.

Last edited by FormulaFox; 17 Sep 2016 at 18:46.
Old 17 Sep 2016, 22:06 (Ref:3673209)   #4310
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaFox View Post
It takes only the smallest fraction of brainpower to be able to tell who you're trying to poke fun at with those comments. I don't care particularly care about people wanting to poke fun at things when I get something wrong, but could you please actually try to get your sarcasm on point as to what I said rather than making things up? All I ever said is that it makes no sense for a series on that level to run equipment that expensive, not that nobody's going to bother. Sure, I did say you can't be expecting the teams currently in Lites to be spending that kind of money, but that's far from NOBODY. (it's also only HALF of the reason I said the Lites plan makes no sense, and the reasoning doesn't add up if you don't take the other half into account)

Incidentally, I know of a team that's planning to run two JSP3s in the series.
It actually wasn't aimed twoards you in the least. If I wanted to call you out, I would have. Lots of people are irritated that PC is going away, and has been moved to a seperate class.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 17 Sep 2016, 22:32 (Ref:3673224)   #4311
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
Quote:
It actually wasn't aimed twoards you in the least. If I wanted to call you out, I would have. Lots of people are irritated that PC is going away, and has been moved to a seperate class.
In that case I apologize for the accusation.

Indeed, there are many people frustrated, but I've never seen anyone make the assertion that the change is a guaranteed failure.

(but if we're going to get into this, we should move it to the Lites/LMP3 thread)
Old 17 Sep 2016, 22:39 (Ref:3673228)   #4312
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaFox View Post
In that case I apologize for the accusation.
Don't bother. I'm not worried about it.

Quote:
Indeed, there are many people frustrated, but I've never seen anyone make the assertion that the change is a guaranteed failure.
Scuttlebutt amongst some. Perhaps the disdain in the paddock seems bigger than reality proves. Much is coming from PC teams who don't want to move.
Old 17 Sep 2016, 22:40 (Ref:3673229)   #4313
Rcz
Veteran

United States
Rcz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IMSA should have a GTD only race some day. 6 hours at Road America co sanction with SRO.

So as Indycar ditches therir aerokits I wonder how long the DPi will keep theirs. Yes there is a difference, Indycars kits actually do something and not for marketing purposes but it's still expensive.
Old 17 Sep 2016, 22:58 (Ref:3673245)   #4314
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
Quote:
Scuttlebutt amongst some. Perhaps the disdain in the paddock seems bigger than reality proves. Much is coming from PC teams who don't want to move.
Oh, I'm not surprised by that and don't take it into account. The PC teams don't want to spend any money at all, so you could present them with the most 100% perfect idea for the future but if it cost them a dime they'd have still complained.
Old 17 Sep 2016, 23:27 (Ref:3673268)   #4315
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcz View Post
So as Indycar ditches therir aerokits I wonder how long the DPi will keep theirs. Yes there is a difference, Indycars kits actually do something and not for marketing purposes but it's still expensive.
Indycar is dumping their in hopes of variety. When we have only Chevy/Riley's and two Mazda's...

We will see.
Old 17 Sep 2016, 23:58 (Ref:3673292)   #4316
Makaze
Racer

Makaze has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Rumors I'm hearing from COTA pits this weekend.

The first two Dpi programs might not be 100% ready for Daytona.So they might be running at Daytona without full Dpi bodywork.That opens the door for others to run Dpi engine without Dpi bodywork.It is in IMSA hands now.....black and white with rules or going grey with the rules the first couple races/first season?

This problem is cause by IMSA dragging their feet with the new rules and the late delivery of the new 2017 P2 chassis..Everybody started late on programs.

HPD decided to wait and watch what IMSA is going to do with Dpi rules and BOP in 2017.They have a tight budget and it would be stupid to do a program that doesn't have rules set yet and might change per race in 2017 and maybe new rules for 2018!!!
Old 18 Sep 2016, 14:22 (Ref:3673681)   #4317
BullMan
Veteran

BullMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makaze View Post

The first two Dpi programs might not be 100% ready for Daytona.So they might be running at Daytona without full Dpi bodywork.That opens the door for others to run Dpi engine without Dpi bodywork.It is in IMSA hands now.....black and white with rules or going grey with the rules the first couple races/first season?

This problem is cause by IMSA dragging their feet with the new rules and the late delivery of the new 2017 P2 chassis..Everybody started late on programs.

HPD decided to wait and watch what IMSA is going to do with Dpi rules and BOP in 2017.They have a tight budget and it would be stupid to do a program that doesn't have rules set yet and might change per race in 2017 and maybe new rules for 2018!!!
The "run just the engine" thing is something people have been guessing will happen for some time now. It does make sense, TBH. You've got a car with the bodywork it was designed for, and an engine from a manufacturer. Why not use it if the special bodywork isn't fully ready? It's a much, much better idea than letting the old DPs back in at the 11th hour. Of course, I think most teams are selling their old DPs at this point anyway. I know WTR's cars are up on the block.

Last edited by BullMan; 18 Sep 2016 at 14:28.
Old 18 Sep 2016, 15:48 (Ref:3673720)   #4318
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makaze View Post

The problem was NOT IMSA dragging their feet, it was the other entity in the equation that was the laggard.

L.P.
Old 18 Sep 2016, 16:03 (Ref:3673725)   #4319
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post
The problem was NOT IMSA dragging their feet, it was the other entity in the equation that was the laggard.
Agree, the spec electrics seemed to be the holdup.
Old 18 Sep 2016, 19:20 (Ref:3673766)   #4320
Rcz
Veteran

United States
Rcz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm going to miss those old DPs. Those terrible ugly slow things. Though Gen3.5 seem to redeem them quite a bit, making look way better and they have great sound. I would like to see them in a exhibition race with real race tires
Old 18 Sep 2016, 19:54 (Ref:3673777)   #4321
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Agree, the spec electrics seemed to be the holdup.
IMSA wanted to do the p2 route, no one forced them to. Instead of doing their own thing, they go and do an ACO thing, and still not have their cars eligible for an ACO event (Le Mans) Kinda ridiculous situation if you ask me.
Old 18 Sep 2016, 20:11 (Ref:3673785)   #4322
Akrapovic
Veteran

Australia
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
IMSA wanted to do the p2 route, no one forced them to. Instead of doing their own thing, they go and do an ACO thing, and still not have their cars eligible for an ACO event (Le Mans) Kinda ridiculous situation if you ask me.
Prepare to get shot down for that! I 100% agree and have posted it and been told my opinion is rubbish for it.

ACO: We have a new train set for 2017

IMSA: We need a new train set too because ours is just some old stuff mashed together and isn't very good. ACO, can we borrow your train set?

ACO: Well, OK. But if you're going to use our stuff then we have certain rules!

IMSA: No fair! We want it our way! But we want your stuff our way! And we want to play in your house too!
Old 18 Sep 2016, 21:33 (Ref:3673805)   #4323
CyberMotor
Veteran

United States
CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post

ACO: We have a new train set for 2017

IMSA: We need a new train set too because ours is just some old stuff mashed together and isn't very good. ACO, can we borrow your train set?

ACO: Well, OK. But if you're going to use our stuff then we have certain rules!

IMSA: No fair! We want it our way! But we want your stuff our way! And we want to play in your house too!
Your post is much too concise and to the point and, accurate.

Living in the USA, I want us to see us lead in these 21st Century technologies using our skills, capabilities and resources. I would rather see us using our advanced abilities here rather than in other areas.
Old 19 Sep 2016, 04:18 (Ref:3673967)   #4324
TF110
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberMotor View Post
Your post is much too concise and to the point and, accurate.

Living in the USA, I want us to see us lead in these 21st Century technologies using our skills, capabilities and resources. I would rather see us using our advanced abilities here rather than in other areas.
I think the rule makers are too far into the Nascar philosophy and feel that this series should emulate its relative simplicity. But that simplicity goes too far in to the regulations and were getting cars that might look ok, but are dumbed down so that no innovation can be had and there is no incentive to invest in technology. Not trying to be rude, but they can't cater only to 'hillbillies'.
Old 19 Sep 2016, 04:27 (Ref:3673970)   #4325
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Um TF110, it's casuals and not hillbillies. Southerners are content with moonshine and big crashes at NASCAR all day.

But you know what, seems that IMSA are too hesitant to release the ruleset early so that manufactures can work on the cars for next year. The problem is their inability to make quick and sound decisions. Heck, they didn't think it over on adapting the LMP2 rules in the first place.