Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Closed Thread

Old 29 Oct 2014, 17:59 (Ref:3469784)   #451
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves View Post
It's a shame this school sports day mentality of equality and "everyone's a winner" exists these days.
It's only because TV and other media coverage exists these days! Most people need something exciting to watch, hence equality. Yes, shutting up the Plato's of the world is a benefit to the sport as well, but that's not the main reason.

But I can't name many series with such a depth of competitive car/driver combos in one grid. And that can only be good.
Old 30 Oct 2014, 07:52 (Ref:3469907)   #452
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuits In A Red Bull View Post
It's only because TV and other media coverage exists these days! Most people need something exciting to watch, hence equality. Yes, shutting up the Plato's of the world is a benefit to the sport as well, but that's not the main reason.

But I can't name many series with such a depth of competitive car/driver combos in one grid. And that can only be good.
Exactly this. We need to remember that the BTCC is a reality show not a sport. The contestants pay to get on the show and demand a chance of success irrespective of how good they are. Alan Gow twiddles the knobs to keep as much as possible equal... and with almost half the contestants capable of winning and the remainder there or thereabouts, it makes for fantastic entertainment. It's why it works.
Old 30 Oct 2014, 08:51 (Ref:3469913)   #453
jimothy84
Racer

England
Swindon, Wiltshire
jimothy84 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry, but what a daft post that was. Reality show?!? Not a sport? Do what? Equalisation brings the little guys into the equation, rather than Honda running away with it all.
Old 30 Oct 2014, 09:21 (Ref:3469920)   #454
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimothy84 View Post
Sorry, but what a daft post that was. Reality show?!? Not a sport? Do what? Equalisation brings the little guys into the equation, rather than Honda running away with it all.
And for what it is, that's a good thing... it's just not a sport.

Novak Djokovic is not given a smaller racket in order that his opponent is brought into the equation.
Ryan Lochte does not start a few seconds later than the others to give them a chance of winning.
Lionel Messi isn't sent onto the pitch with astro boots rather than studs to prevent him from dominating a game.
Carl Froch doesn't fight the first round with his hands tied behind his back to allow his opponent a leg up.
Old 30 Oct 2014, 10:35 (Ref:3469928)   #455
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That Messi one is debatable #WC2014

But it is true. An even bigger but is that the best still rise to the top, such as Turks this season, or AJ last season, and the list has as many names as there are champions.
Old 30 Oct 2014, 12:59 (Ref:3469952)   #456
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
As we don't have a separate support race thread I'll drop this in here.

Porsche Carrera Cup will not be at Donington, Thruxton or Rockingham next year.
Old 30 Oct 2014, 13:23 (Ref:3469958)   #457
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Means that they'll fill the bill with...?

Hopefully Supertourers or something mega for Thruxton at least

Or maybe this new Formula Renault UK thing...
Old 30 Oct 2014, 17:16 (Ref:3470011)   #458
pimmy
Veteran

England
Witney
pimmy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pickups at the Rock, please.
Old 30 Oct 2014, 17:29 (Ref:3470014)   #459
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Good to see a new team in the Ginetta Juniors as well. Just read in Autosport - the Porsche's are off to Le Mans and Spa!!!
Old 30 Oct 2014, 17:55 (Ref:3470026)   #460
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Just read in Autosport - the Porsche's are off to Le Mans and Spa!!!
Read the article again, it's not both. Spa in 2015 is a replacement for Le Mans 2014.
Old 30 Oct 2014, 18:44 (Ref:3470036)   #461
BtccLee
Veteran

BtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
Exactly this. We need to remember that the BTCC is a reality show not a sport. The contestants pay to get on the show and demand a chance of success irrespective of how good they are. Alan Gow twiddles the knobs to keep as much as possible equal... and with almost half the contestants capable of winning and the remainder there or thereabouts, it makes for fantastic entertainment. It's why it works.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
And for what it is, that's a good thing... it's just not a sport.

Novak Djokovic is not given a smaller racket in order that his opponent is brought into the equation.
Ryan Lochte does not start a few seconds later than the others to give them a chance of winning.
Lionel Messi isn't sent onto the pitch with astro boots rather than studs to prevent him from dominating a game.
Carl Froch doesn't fight the first round with his hands tied behind his back to allow his opponent a leg up.
Sport

Whilst I respect that you are entitled to the opinion that the BTCC is more “Reality Show” than “Sport”, I am entitled to the opinion that said opinion is totally and utterly preposterous.

Firstly, let’s look at some dictionary definitions of sport. “An individual or group activity pursued for exercise or pleasure.” The BTCC meets those first two criteria in the respect of drivers and teams. Despite general ignorance, the participants who partake in this sport are indeed exercising, physically and mentally. It certainly provides us all with pleasure.

“Such activities considered collectively.” Little analysis required here. Same with “Any pastime indulged in for pleasure.”

The BTCC is incomparable with any other sport. I would argue that sport is about equality, in giving each and every participant the opportunity for success. Not guaranteeing, not giving or providing success but the opportunity for said success.

That opportunity can only be taken by those most competitive of teams, the hardest working or the most experience. Throughout all other sports we see inequality to the degree that we think of this as “Sport” or “Sporting.”

This may be through finance. This can be through equipment. This can be through training or testing facilities. Yet how can such inequality or lack of fairness be in any way “Sporting”? How can it be fair that the minority within these “Sports” thanks to such benefits are allowed to shine and be considered the “Talents” above those who may be equally as capable? I do not doubt they are truly the most “Talented” within their disciplines. But surely without some form of equality, others aren’t allowed to shine, to improve to demonstrate their “Talent.”?

If we look at arguably the world’s poster sporting event, the Olympics, and its’ values. “Respect” such as that seen in the close wheel to wheel racing we saw weekend in and weekend out in 2014. And 2013. And 2012. “Excellence” such as that demonstrated by WSR and Turkington this year. Pirtek and Jordan last year. Honda, Neal and Shedden the previous years. “Friendship”. Little needs saying there. Whether within the paddock, or outside.

Supports

On another note, I believe that FIA F3 was looking at a UK round for 2014 and considered the TOCA package but as it was already “full” had to abandon these plans. I think Thruxton was where they were looking. Would be interesting to see.
Old 30 Oct 2014, 18:53 (Ref:3470038)   #462
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
The only constructive thing that the above post brings to me is the news that FIA F3 may run at Thruxton. That would be mega for me as I'd be there!

But seriously??????!!!!!!! Why???!!! What have you just achieved? Defending the BTCC from a perfectly rational viewpoint of it with a perfectly rational viewpoint? Just agree to disagree!!! I don't want to have to read 8 paragraphs on why the BTCC is so good, I just watch the races and realise how brilliant it is!!!!!
Old 30 Oct 2014, 19:12 (Ref:3470041)   #463
PDS
Veteran

England
Medway Towns
PDS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is quite interesting to ead some of the comments relating to the race two grid selection proccess?

If you look at the last round at Brands Hatch, the finishing order for race one and their relevant 'fastest laps' would give a different grid than what we had and what people I think would expect!

The original grid two line-up was:
1= Plato
2 =Tordoff
3 =Turkington
4 =Jackson
5 =Morgan
6 =Collard
7 =Gio
8 =Ingram
9 =Jordan
10 =Foster

On fastest race times:
1 = Tukington
2 = Collard
3 = Plato
4 = Tordoff
5 = Gio
6 = Jackson
7 = Morgan
8 = Jordan
9 = Smith
10 = Ingram

All other movers don't really change that much. Maximum of two grid slot changes both up and down.
Old 30 Oct 2014, 19:28 (Ref:3470044)   #464
Andrew Abbott
Racer

England
Shrewsbury
Andrew Abbott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BtccLee View Post
Whilst I respect that you are entitled to the opinion that the BTCC is more “Reality Show” than “Sport”, I am entitled to the opinion that said opinion is totally and utterly preposterous.
I'm with dabvyboy here, but I don't think you will ever see our perspective Lee as you're always so quick to leap to the defense of the BTCC.

I don't think the BTCC is pure sport, nor is it properly elitist. It is a competition though and it's still great.
Old 30 Oct 2014, 19:46 (Ref:3470048)   #465
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndySpeed View Post
I'm with dabvyboy here, but I don't think you will ever see our perspective Lee as you're always so quick to leap to the defense of the BTCC.

I don't think the BTCC is pure sport, nor is it properly elitist. It is a competition though and it's still great.
As a general motorsports (and sports) fan I have to agree with the entirety of this post. There's no way the BTCC is the pinnacle of motorsports (the front of the grid though could easily hold their own if there was another TCWC!) but that's not to say it's bad. I really enjoyed this season and hope for another even better.
Old 30 Oct 2014, 22:43 (Ref:3470093)   #466
CM388
Racer

CM388 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pimmy View Post
This.

Actually, pickups at all 3 of those circuits would be pretty great! :P
Old 31 Oct 2014, 06:20 (Ref:3470163)   #467
davyboy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BtccLee View Post
Sport

Firstly, let’s look at some dictionary definitions of sport. “An individual or group activity pursued for exercise or pleasure.” The BTCC meets those first two criteria in the respect of drivers and teams. Despite general ignorance, the participants who partake in this sport are indeed exercising, physically and mentally. It certainly provides us all with pleasure.

“Such activities considered collectively.” Little analysis required here. Same with “Any pastime indulged in for pleasure.”

The BTCC is incomparable with any other sport. I would argue that sport is about equality, in giving each and every participant the opportunity for success. Not guaranteeing, not giving or providing success but the opportunity for said success.

That opportunity can only be taken by those most competitive of teams, the hardest working or the most experience. Throughout all other sports we see inequality to the degree that we think of this as “Sport” or “Sporting.”

This may be through finance. This can be through equipment. This can be through training or testing facilities. Yet how can such inequality or lack of fairness be in any way “Sporting”? How can it be fair that the minority within these “Sports” thanks to such benefits are allowed to shine and be considered the “Talents” above those who may be equally as capable? I do not doubt they are truly the most “Talented” within their disciplines. But surely without some form of equality, others aren’t allowed to shine, to improve to demonstrate their “Talent.”?

If we look at arguably the world’s poster sporting event, the Olympics, and its’ values. “Respect” such as that seen in the close wheel to wheel racing we saw weekend in and weekend out in 2014. And 2013. And 2012. “Excellence” such as that demonstrated by WSR and Turkington this year. Pirtek and Jordan last year. Honda, Neal and Shedden the previous years. “Friendship”. Little needs saying there. Whether within the paddock, or outside.
Lee you get 10/10 every time for unwavering loyalty But 'let me put it to you counsel' that if the BTCC were to turn it's back on what it is now and become a pure sport, it would be a bore fest. Honda would run away with every race, every season and the series would hemorrhage spectators and participants and likely collapse. Alan Gow - and everyone involved in the BTCC - knows that which is why he's taken it in the direction he has.

... so you ought to be evangelizing that a key reason why the BTCC is so successful is specifically because it's not a sport !
Old 31 Oct 2014, 07:28 (Ref:3470184)   #468
jsmee
Veteran

England
Essex, UK
jsmee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can we call the matter closed now PLEASE........ #yawn
Old 31 Oct 2014, 08:21 (Ref:3470190)   #469
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmee View Post
Can we call the matter closed now PLEASE........ #yawn
I'm not sure we can because I'm not fully convinced that Honda would run away with every race. Those MGs and that Turkington bloke would give them a good fight at some circuits imo...
Old 31 Oct 2014, 09:24 (Ref:3470196)   #470
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
I can see this bloke returning to a race seat - and for longer than 1 round!

http://www.touringcartimes.com/2014/...etterton-test/
Old 31 Oct 2014, 09:28 (Ref:3470198)   #471
OVERSTEER
Veteran

England
Sheffield, England
OVERSTEER should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pimmy View Post
And on the Oval whilst they're at it please!!
Old 31 Oct 2014, 14:22 (Ref:3470252)   #472
davyboy
Veteran

Quote:
I can see this bloke returning to a race seat - and for longer than 1 round!

http://www.touringcartimes.com/2014/...etterton-test/
Agreed... I think he's a definite for next year. He has the wherewithal to make it happen.
Old 31 Oct 2014, 15:49 (Ref:3470271)   #473
PDS
Veteran

England
Medway Towns
PDS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Now I ember why I walked away from this forum at the begining of the year!!!

Some things never change!

Old 31 Oct 2014, 23:07 (Ref:3470359)   #474
jsmee
Veteran

England
Essex, UK
jsmee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looks like Stockton has purchased Aiden Moffat's Chevy... Now, 2 car team or just one saloon?

Old 31 Oct 2014, 23:32 (Ref:3470366)   #475
cds_uk
Veteran

England
Kesgrave, Suffolk, UK
cds_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just one saloon i would imagine.
Closed Thread