Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 25 Dec 2016, 23:48 (Ref:3698451)   #4851
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Stood on the spotter area on the grandstand in 2006. It was something special, even in the Grand Am days. I think we were basically the only spectators but hey, Grand Am lol.
Good point. My first Daytona 24 in person was in 2014 but I had wanted to go to it for 10 years prior to that but I never was going to go make the trip as long as Grand Am was running it. My big beef with Grand Am was that their GT category felt so dumbed down and amateurish even though they did have good pro level teams. It was the cars they ran that were not up to snuff. But yeah as soon as the merger happened, I went!

Last edited by MaskedRacer; 25 Dec 2016 at 23:56.
Old 26 Dec 2016, 04:09 (Ref:3698467)   #4852
Lagunaseca_4life
Veteran

United States
Central Valley CA
Lagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I sure do miss 6 hrs at Laguna seca into the darkness for the last hour.2008 and 2009 are some of the best memories.

As for the tv, I like it! I recently moved and the only provider in area carries fs1 and 2!! And if I'm not at home fs go will do.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Old 26 Dec 2016, 04:19 (Ref:3698468)   #4853
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagunaseca_4life View Post
I sure do miss 6 hrs at Laguna seca into the darkness for the last hour.2008 and 2009 are some of the best memories.

As for the tv, I like it! I recently moved and the only provider in area carries fs1 and 2!! And if I'm not at home fs go will do.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
One of the best things IMSA did in 2016 was the IMSA Radio feed of the youtube race replay starting at Lime Rock. They HAVE to keep that going. Because it was commercial free. For the Petit Le Mans race. You literally got all 10 hours. You could in theory run it straight from 11 am to 9 pm if you wanted too.
Old 26 Dec 2016, 04:26 (Ref:3698469)   #4854
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
The problem with some of the IMSA Radio feed is that it seems at times the RLM isn't actually looking at any sort of TV feed. They can just see whats out of their comm box and what's on a timing screen.
Old 26 Dec 2016, 05:38 (Ref:3698473)   #4855
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
The problem with some of the IMSA Radio feed is that it seems at times the RLM isn't actually looking at any sort of TV feed. They can just see whats out of their comm box and what's on a timing screen.
Yup .... it is noticeable.

Of course sometimes during those long races they just keep on talking about whatever, despite what is happening on track, regardless of whether they have a feed or not ... Also, there really shouldn't be a time when there is No video feed ... the cameras are out there all weekend long. It's just that some segments aren't broadcast, perhaps, or commercials are played over the feed ... but there should always be video available (what does race Control use otherwise?) It is hard to imagine they couldn't get a smartphone in the booth.
Old 26 Dec 2016, 15:27 (Ref:3698536)   #4856
Akrapovic
Veteran

Australia
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
IMSA radio is far from perfect, but to be honest, I found the American coverage completely unwatchable. Ignoring the constant stream of commercials, the style of commentary is awful, the constant features rather than talking about the race, and this awful NASCAR style need to turn everything into some sort of heartwarming story. It's bloody awful. The fans complained after the first reunion year, and IMSA reacted with hiring Radio Le Mans for IMSA radio, and thank god for that.

Americans really get shafted with TV coverage. In Europe we're pretty spoilt for streaming now days.
Old 26 Dec 2016, 17:37 (Ref:3698546)   #4857
Jaguar4
Rookie

United States
Grand Rapids, MI
Jaguar4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
IMSA radio is far from perfect, but to be honest, I found the American coverage completely unwatchable. Ignoring the constant stream of commercials, the style of commentary is awful, the constant features rather than talking about the race, and this awful NASCAR style need to turn everything into some sort of heartwarming story. It's bloody awful. The fans complained after the first reunion year, and IMSA reacted with hiring Radio Le Mans for IMSA radio, and thank god for that.

Americans really get shafted with TV coverage. In Europe we're pretty spoilt for streaming now days.

I think the commentators for FOX do a fine job. They are all experienced and understand the sport very well. Do all the commercials suck? Sure, but FOX does what every other sport does in this country. That's the way it is. Unfortunately, there is no way we will receive a full broadcast without commercials and what not.
Old 26 Dec 2016, 18:41 (Ref:3698553)   #4858
Akrapovic
Veteran

Australia
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Different cultures like different things. The commentators are very experienced and knowledgeable and I never questioned that. But the quality of the commentary is questionable, the style is awful and has a very nascar feel to it, and the quality of the broadcast is awful.

IMSA Radio was the best thing that ever happened to IMSA IMO. And I say the same about ELMS, WEC, N24 and Spa24. The series coverage improved massively with the RLM inclusion. Each to their own, but I for one am glad we have IMSA radio or I wouldn't watch it.
Old 26 Dec 2016, 21:31 (Ref:3698570)   #4859
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Different cultures like different things. The commentators are very experienced and knowledgeable and I never questioned that. But the quality of the commentary is questionable, the style is awful and has a very nascar feel to it, and the quality of the broadcast is awful.

IMSA Radio was the best thing that ever happened to IMSA IMO. And I say the same about ELMS, WEC, N24 and Spa24. The series coverage improved massively with the RLM inclusion. Each to their own, but I for one am glad we have IMSA radio or I wouldn't watch it.
Watch NASCAR coverage, then say that. Sorry they may not see what's going on often or talk about the racing but they are INFINITELY better than any NASCAR coverage, esp NBCSports.
Old 26 Dec 2016, 23:13 (Ref:3698581)   #4860
Akrapovic
Veteran

Australia
I watched nascar for 10 years, that's why I'm saying that. Obviously 10 years isn't as long as many, or most nascar fans. But it's certainly long enough to get the feel of how they do it. But nascar does tend to have about 14 different commentary teams on as many different channels and I have to admit I don't know who the NBC Sport crew you mention are, but I gather from your post they're even worse.

I just can't stand the commentary style they do. Tying everything up with heart warming stories and stories which are just careful disguised commercials. Its all nonsense. And the first year of the combined imsa, several times they said the mazda was the first diesel prototype in America, which is a bit horrifying.

They are knowledgeable. They are in depth. They are probably very well suited to the American culture (which is a good thing, since that's the audience they service). But for the rest of the world, they weren't any good and didn't fit and that's why we now have IMSA radio. And thank god for that because that and the new DPI formula has turned imsa isn't a must watch series for any sports car fan anywhere in the world.
Old 27 Dec 2016, 18:44 (Ref:3698689)   #4861
Starfish Primer
Veteran

Spain
A Spaniard in Milton Keynes
Starfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Do you know ifl the IMSA wil enforce BOP between the DPi and the LMP2? Thanks in advance
Old 27 Dec 2016, 18:47 (Ref:3698690)   #4862
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfish Primer View Post
Do you know ifl the IMSA wil enforce BOP between the DPi and the LMP2? Thanks in advance
The line of thought is that P2 will not be "left behind"... I'd assume that'll be restrictor breaks, fuel capacity etc.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 27 Dec 2016, 19:11 (Ref:3698697)   #4863
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMedic9019 View Post
The line of thought is that P2 will not be "left behind"... I'd assume that'll be restrictor breaks, fuel capacity etc.
Sadly, sort of safe to assume they will not be equalized .... just kept close. After all, the manufacturers are paying the big money. I certainly hope otherwise.

Quote:
.... because that and the new DPI formula has turned imsa isn't [Assuming this means "into"] a must watch series for any sports car fan anywhere in the world.
Amazing this to be Able to say ... particularly given the last five or six years ... but I think pretty accurate. IMSA has actually made itself internationally relevant (as entertainment only, so far---but I bet they are bribing ACO even as we type and read here) with its new formula. More frequent than WEC or ELMS and probably a lot more interesting than ELMS once it all gets going.

If IMSA doesn't thoroughly bungle this ... North American sports car racing could actually be world-class again.
Old 27 Dec 2016, 19:19 (Ref:3698699)   #4864
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
Sadly, sort of safe to assume they will not be equalized .... just kept close. After all, the manufacturers are paying the big money. I certainly hope otherwise.

Amazing this to be Able to say ... particularly given the last five or six years ... but I think pretty accurate. IMSA has actually made itself internationally relevant (as entertainment only, so far---but I bet they are bribing ACO even as we type and read here) with its new formula. More frequent than WEC or ELMS and probably a lot more interesting than ELMS once it all gets going.

If IMSA doesn't thoroughly bungle this ... North American sports car racing could actually be world-class again.
It'll be substantially easier to balance DPi and P2. IMSA has put themselves in a position to be successful, but they need to make sure that they are building the IMSA grid for long term viable health.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 27 Dec 2016, 19:33 (Ref:3698705)   #4865
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfish Primer View Post
The alleged plan is to balance DPi to the LMP2 performance levels. Understandably, most do not trust them to do this and are taking a "believe it when we see it" approach.
Old 28 Dec 2016, 00:10 (Ref:3698745)   #4866
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
After seeing how IMSA and the ACO both have screwed things up big time since 2014 and only the past couple of years (depleted prototype grid in IMSA and a similar situation in the WEC culminating in the Audi Sport pullout) have been trying to right the ship, I don't expect much of a fix on either end.

Though to IMSA's credit, standardizing to a degree on the ACO's LMP2 concept will make things easier for IMSA to fix if they choose to do so.
Old 28 Dec 2016, 00:25 (Ref:3698749)   #4867
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
You know one thing the bop doesn't take into account is driver skill. And there's also the fact that sandbagging can go undetected by drivers purposely doing a lesser job than they're capable of. Braking a little early, using different gears for turns etc.
Old 28 Dec 2016, 01:05 (Ref:3698753)   #4868
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!
Using the wrong gear is pretty blatant sandbagging, you would never get a BoP break based on that. Braking earlier is sneakier but IMSA does have ways to recognize that if they choose to use them.
Old 28 Dec 2016, 02:14 (Ref:3698758)   #4869
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Both IMSA and the ACO are supposed to have countermeasures to counter sandbagging. Not that it's stopped sandbagging on either count due to the sanctioning bodies either ignoring it until post race, or, as the ACO have been accused of at LM last year with Ford vs Ferrari in GTE-Pro, using BOP to create a story at a race at the expense of others.
Old 28 Dec 2016, 12:47 (Ref:3698803)   #4870
Maelochs
Veteran

I believe it was Marshall Pruett who had a long article on the data-tracking devices IMSA has installed in all the cars---real-time telemetry and logging, to establish whether a team is sand-bagging. The supposedly harsh penalties for sandbagging--- the ones that were never imposed, no matter what---should still be on the books, and IMSA now should be able to tell ... we shall see.

I Hope IMSA plays it straight and doesn't screw up the best chance it has had in forever to present a successful series. I believe they could do it if they so chose, and have the best opportunity ever.

We will have more to say after the Roar.
Old 28 Dec 2016, 13:49 (Ref:3698811)   #4871
Akrapovic
Veteran

Australia
The WEC had tracking devices too, but it was all pointless. It's incredibly obvious when a driver is sandbagging. You can see it on onboards. At Spa, the Ford was short shifting up Kemmel Straight and not getting even close to the top end on either long section. It was a blatant sand bag, and the late race caution bunched them up and they suddenly found enough performance to challenge for the win.

Conversely, people suggested AF Corse was sand bagging, despite the Spa and Silverstone wins. This was based on the 488 being faster at Le Mans than it was at Spa and Silverstone. In reality, this wasn't sand bagging and was down to team performance. The AF Corse Ferrari never really improved at Le Mans. It wasn't a challenger in the race and they never really got the car hooked up. The challenger in a Ferrari at Le Mans was Risi, and you can't claim AF Corse sand bagged because Risi were faster.

The sand bagging in WEC last year was out of hand, and nothing was done about it. IMSA meanwhile made BoP changes more times than anyone can count.
Old 28 Dec 2016, 14:15 (Ref:3698814)   #4872
wdave0
Veteran

United States
NY
wdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaFox View Post
The alleged plan is to balance DPi to the LMP2 performance levels. Understandably, most do not trust them to do this and are taking a "believe it when we see it" approach.
IMSA has taken a good step toward equality by allowing the P2s to change gear ratios, bringing them closer to DPi on US tracks. It really does look like they might be getting things right.
Old 28 Dec 2016, 22:24 (Ref:3698881)   #4873
Rcz
Veteran

United States
Rcz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
About Road America.

Yes I wish it was on the NAEC. They should revive the Road Amerca 500 mile classic.

How long much time would it take to complete 125 laps there? My guess 4 and half to 5 hours.
Old 28 Dec 2016, 23:52 (Ref:3698896)   #4874
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdave0 View Post
IMSA has taken a good step toward equality by allowing the P2s to change gear ratios, bringing them closer to DPi on US tracks. It really does look like they might be getting things right.
As long as Spirit of Daytona is running an ACO spec car I doubt things will get out of hand.
Old 29 Dec 2016, 00:32 (Ref:3698900)   #4875
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcz View Post
About Road America.

Yes I wish it was on the NAEC. They should revive the Road Amerca 500 mile classic.

How long much time would it take to complete 125 laps there? My guess 4 and half to 5 hours.
I'd love this, personally.