Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 6 Aug 2005, 04:38 (Ref:1373545)   #26
v8race1
Racer

v8race1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
MABS, what channel on tv do you watch the races???
I am all for the old Procar events and would prefer such over V8's, but there is next to nothing coverage that is available on free to air tv. We need a 'circus' similar to the V8's for the rest of our motorsport.
Old 6 Aug 2005, 09:37 (Ref:1373624)   #27
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucky
I'm with Falcadore. I also enjoy their cars but they have had no involvement nor have they ever even tried to have an involvement in local motorsport.

So for that they can get
To be fair, Honda dont really have a car that fits any outright classes in this country. The Integra Type R is handy in the proddies, but that Honda NSX run by Mr Palmer has very little in common with an NSX road car other than a similar silhourtte...

Honda were involved in Rallying a little while ago, with Brett Middleton and his Civic F2 car... it was a quick little home grown beast... but against the works cars from VW and the ubiquitous WRXs that blow off the small cars, it became outdated...

Should we be trying to get them to run an Accord in V8Supercar? The challenge would be to find a pushrod engine....
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 7 Aug 2005, 02:02 (Ref:1374073)   #28
Chucky
Veteran

Australia
Port Melbourne, Australia
Chucky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A Honda in V8SC is even more proposterous as a Toyota. However, they have had numerous chances to become involved in the APCC, GTP and Nations Cup. All have been met with the same, polite "No Thanks, we're Honda" reply.

They can be planted in the same pot as Renault and Nissan (same thing). Why should they deserve any respect when there are other car companies out there putting their money where their mouth is?
Old 7 Aug 2005, 02:29 (Ref:1374081)   #29
djt46
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
djt46 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
spud1, the AusGT/Porsche Challenge races are shown on SBS "SpeedWeek" 12 noon Sunday
Old 7 Aug 2005, 04:35 (Ref:1374096)   #30
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
They can be planted in the same pot as Renault and Nissan (same thing). Why should they deserve any respect when there are other car companies out there putting their money where their mouth is?
Well there are some ugly whispers around that the Nissan mob may be changing from factory importation to an agency arrangement, when all the current dealership contracts are up in March 2007.... it would be a sad end to a very long history in this country if this is the case
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 7 Aug 2005, 06:04 (Ref:1374109)   #31
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The way they were treated at the end of 1992, it's Australian motorsport that doesn't deserve any respect from them (Nissan)
Old 7 Aug 2005, 07:41 (Ref:1374125)   #32
mixxer
Veteran

Australia
Somewhere over the rainbow
mixxer has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
The way they were treated at the end of 1992, it's Australian motorsport that doesn't deserve any respect from them (Nissan)
Boo Hoo, when Nissan closed the engine and assembly plant at Clayton in 92 they lost most of the respect they had built up.
Old 7 Aug 2005, 07:52 (Ref:1374127)   #33
djt46
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
djt46 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All very interesting but what's this got to do with a possible Australian GT Endurance Series?
Old 7 Aug 2005, 08:10 (Ref:1374133)   #34
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Who knows, but its good fun talking about something in here at the minute

If Nissan hadnt imploded locally, then HSV wouldnt have the headquarters they currently enjoy, and HRT/HSVDT/HMS wouldnt have such a luxurious home....

Meantime, back at the topic at hand....

There are very few cars in the current market that would fit a local GT Sportscar assault...

Do we want to see a 350Z vs an Rx8? I do...

But what could play with them? Toyota doesnt have anything in its product range suitable, neither does Ford, Holden, Honda, Mitsubishi.... it cant be a 2 horse race.... or can it?
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 7 Aug 2005, 09:39 (Ref:1374167)   #35
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Falcadore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic
To be fair, Honda dont really have a car that fits any outright classes in this country. The Integra Type R is handy in the proddies, but that Honda NSX run by Mr Palmer has very little in common with an NSX road car other than a similar silhourtte...

Honda were involved in Rallying a little while ago, with Brett Middleton and his Civic F2 car... it was a quick little home grown beast... but against the works cars from VW and the ubiquitous WRXs that blow off the small cars, it became outdated...

Should we be trying to get them to run an Accord in V8Supercar? The challenge would be to find a pushrod engine....
That may be true of 2005, but what of 1995? or 1985? or 1975? etc etc

Many manufacturers have found ways with much less of a vechicle line-up than what Honda boast.

Honda, in Australia, would rather spend the money on advertising than competition. The closest they have gotten to supporting Australian motorsport was naming rights sponsor of a foreign sourced street race event, which reportedly, was a decision made as an alternative to a Super Touring Car campaign.

Besides, when Honda join NASCAR they will have to develop a pushrod engine for that...
Old 7 Aug 2005, 09:43 (Ref:1374170)   #36
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
A Honda in V8SC is even more proposterous as a Toyota. However, they have had numerous chances to become involved in the APCC, GTP and Nations Cup. All have been met with the same, polite "No Thanks, we're Honda" reply.

I have no qualms with Nissan's stance as Nissan was right royally done over by the Australian motor sport industry. What was done to them in 1992 was not deserved and highly unfair for a manufacturer that had given so much to Australian racing. I don't blame them at all that they came away from the experience scarred.
Old 7 Aug 2005, 09:49 (Ref:1374175)   #37
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixxer
Boo Hoo, when Nissan closed the engine and assembly plant at Clayton in 92 they lost most of the respect they had built up.
Ford had a fair bit of the blame for that. The Pintara/Corsair disaster could have been avoided completely but for Ford's decision that the Ford Nissan co-production under the Button car plan had to go with the Pintara model. Nissan wanted the deal to be with the Maxima, but Ford vetoed that, thus thrusting onto the market a car completely unsuitable to it.

But apparently the Maxima was considered to be too close to the Falcon in specification. I can see the similarities there...
Old 7 Aug 2005, 09:53 (Ref:1374180)   #38
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
You could chuck a Chrysler Crossfire into that bracket. Mitsubishi do have a sportscar - the FTO replacment - is that the Eclipse? There is a new Supra coming even if the Celica and MR2 have been axed.

Although it's hard to find a way for such a class to find legs...
Old 7 Aug 2005, 11:26 (Ref:1374231)   #39
mixxer
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Nissan wanted the deal to be with the Maxima
With apologies to the forum cop for staying OT,
Falcadore that cant be correct as the Maxima wasnt in production when the Button car plan was introduced in 85.
Old 7 Aug 2005, 11:40 (Ref:1374255)   #40
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Never said it started immediately the Button car plan came into effect. You can have a delayed response.
Old 7 Aug 2005, 12:13 (Ref:1374265)   #41
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

There are very few cars in the current market that would fit a local GT Sportscar assault...

An NGT or GT2 version of the 350Z has run at Spa and other events in the last year or two. For the life of me I cant think of the team that ran the car, I think Aussie expat Cunnigham drove the car at Spa in 2004.

This would be a nice addition.
Old 7 Aug 2005, 12:13 (Ref:1374266)   #42
mixxer
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Never said it started immediately the Button car plan came into effect. You can have a delayed response.
Yep and from memory it was 86-87 when the discussions took place between the 2 companys, they jointly decided on the Pintara/Corsair, the Patrol/Maverick plus the Falcon Ute/Nissan UTE marriages and I think Im forgetting one other.

Can you provide any cites/sources to back up your claim that it was Fords actions that forced Nissan to shut its Clayton Plant ?
Id be very interested to see them unless of course it was another of Ivans winge sessions which I already have copies of.
Old 7 Aug 2005, 12:22 (Ref:1374269)   #43
Chucky
Veteran

Australia
Port Melbourne, Australia
Chucky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcadore
I have no qualms with Nissan's stance as Nissan was right royally done over by the Australian motor sport industry. What was done to them in 1992 was not deserved and highly unfair for a manufacturer that had given so much to Australian racing. I don't blame them at all that they came away from the experience scarred.
"You can write what you want about me, just make sure you spell it right!"

******** to that idea that they were unfairly done by. The outlawing of the GTR sent it straight into cult status and to this day that car has a special mystique down here. A mystique that is only shared with the Japanese.

And a mystique that was squandered by an indecisive and penny pinching heirarchy who were too busy crying over their bruised ego's to realise they had a hit on their hands.

Back to the topic.

Nissan already have a GT3 homologation for the 350Z. Honda still has the NSX (although it's scheduled to cease production in November) and the RX8 must be capable of being eligible, even if the rotary and turbo equiv factor might make it a 6+litre engine.
Old 7 Aug 2005, 12:40 (Ref:1374272)   #44
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
The mystique has been cheapened by all the grey import Skyline GT-Rs and indeed the GTS-Ts and the plain jane GTSs

There is a very nice one on eBay at the moment for $18k or so, brought in under the 15 year law which has since been tightened..... Meantime, Aussie complied, Nissan-delivered GTRs are still around the $50k mark.. not bad for $110k brand new in 1989/1990.....

I would still love one...
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 7 Aug 2005, 14:59 (Ref:1374325)   #45
mabs_nsx
Veteran

Australia
Where Rally Aus belongs - Perth, WA
mabs_nsx is a back marker
Australian GT Championship & V8 Supercars Championship Series

• This would be cool

Australian GT Championship
    Race Calendar:
    Round-Circuit-Date-Race Length
    1 Adelaide (SA) 24 Mar – 26 Mar 2006 Race 1=150Km (1 hour and 3 minuits)
    Race 2=150Km (1 hour and 3 minuits)
    2 Albert Park (VIC) 31 Mar - 2 Apr 2006 Race 1=100Km (42 minuits)
    Race 2=100Km(42 minuits)
    Race 3=100Km (42 minuits)
    3 Pukekohe Park (NZ) 14 Apr - 16 Apr 2006 Race 1=100Km (42 minuits)
    Race 2=100Km(42 minuits)
    4 Barbagallo (WA) 28 Apr - 30 Apr 2006 Race 1=100Km (42 minuits)
    Race 2=100Km(42 minuits)
    5 Shanhai (Chi) 12 May - 14 May 2006 Race 1=100Km (42 minuits)
    Race 2=100Km(42 minuits)
    6 Hidden Valley (NT) 26 May – 28 May 2006 Race 1=100Km (42 minuits)
    Race 2=100Km(42 minuits)
    7 Oran Park (NSW)
    9 Jun – 11 Jun 2006 Race 1=150Km (1 hour and 3 minuits)
    8 Surfers Paradise (QLD) 23 Jun – 25 Jun 2006 Race 1=150Km (1 hour and 3 minuits)
    9 Symmons Plains (TAS) 7 Jul – 9 Jul 2006 Race 1=100Km (42 minuits)
    Race 2=100Km(42 minuits)
    10 Phillip Island (VIC) 21 Jul – 23 Jul 2006 Race 1=100Km (42 minuits)
    Race 2=100Km(42 minuits)
    11 Sandown (VIC) 18 Aug – 20 Aug 2006 Race=500 Km (3 hours and 30 minuits)
    12 Bunbury (WA) 15 Sep -17 Sep 2006 Race=1000 Km (6 hours and 30 minuits)
    13 Laguna Seca (USA) 13 Oct - 15 Oct 2005 Race=12 hours (2000Km)
    14 Eastern Creek (NSW) 3 Nov - 5 Nov 2006 Race 1=150Km (1 hour and 3 minuits)
    15 Spa-Francorchamps (BEL) 1 Dec – 3 Dec 2006 Race=24 hour (4000Km)
    16 Mount Panorama, Bathurst (NSW) 29 Dec – 31 Dec 2006 Race=24 hour (4000Km)

Cars List:
    1. Holden Monaro (Australia)
    2. Ford Mustang (USA)
    3. Aston Martin Vanquish (USA)
    4. Dodge Viper (USA)
    5. Chevrolet Corvette (USA)
    6. Buick ???? (USA)
    7. Honda NSX (Japan)
    8. Honda S2000 (Japan)
    9. Toyota Supra (Japan)
    10. Toyota Celica (Japan)
    11. Nissan Skyline (Japan)
    12. Nissan 350 Z (Japan)
    13. Mazda RX7 (Japan)
    14. Mazda RX8 (Japan)
    15. Ferrari 360 (Italy)
    16. Ferrari 550 (Italy)
    17. Lamborghini Gallardo (Italy)
    18. Maserati GranSport (Italy)
    19. Mercedes-Benz SLR Mclaren (Germany)
    20. Porsche 911 (Germany)
    21. Porsche Carrera GT (Germany)
    22. Audi A8 (Germany)
    23. BMW M5 (Germany)
    24. Lotus Sport Exige (UK)
    25. Jaguar XK (UK)

V8 Supercars Championship Series
    Race Calendar:
    Same as the Australian GT Championship Race Calendar*

Cars List:
    1. Holden Commodore (Aus)
    2. Ford Falcon (Aus)

*Australian GT Championship & V8 Supercars Championship Series race seperatly exept at the Laguna Seca 12 hour and the Spa-Francorchamps and Bathurst 24 hour races.

Who likes my idea?
Old 7 Aug 2005, 15:07 (Ref:1374329)   #46
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Regarding the 24 hours at Spa, you may as well invite the Australian GT's to take part in the Proximus 24 hours of Spa rather than them having their own race IMO. 2 reasons for this, 1, there is plenty of room, FIA GT normally gets around 40-48 cars for the Spa 24hrs and the race has a limit of 65 entries. 2, the teams and drivers in the Australian GT championship would get a lot more coverage internationally racing in the Proximus 24hours of Spa than they ever would by racing alone. Other than that, sounds like a great calender IMO.
Old 7 Aug 2005, 15:17 (Ref:1374336)   #47
mabs_nsx
Veteran

Australia
Where Rally Aus belongs - Perth, WA
mabs_nsx is a back marker
Australian GT Championship
Cars List:
Replace the Audi A8 with an Audi TT & Audi RS4
Old 7 Aug 2005, 20:57 (Ref:1374483)   #48
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Saleen: they would get more coverage, if they had international sponsors.

Corporate Australia will not support Aussies racing overseas.

Spa does not even get a 30 min mention of Foxtel.

That's one helluva understanding sponsor
Old 7 Aug 2005, 21:37 (Ref:1374502)   #49
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixxer
Yep and from memory it was 86-87 when the discussions took place between the 2 companys, they jointly decided on the Pintara/Corsair, the Patrol/Maverick plus the Falcon Ute/Nissan UTE marriages and I think Im forgetting one other.

Can you provide any cites/sources to back up your claim that it was Fords actions that forced Nissan to shut its Clayton Plant ?
Id be very interested to see them unless of course it was another of Ivans winge sessions which I already have copies of.
I said Ford had a portion of the blame, not that it was entirely their fault.

Of course they jointly decided on Pintara, that doesn't mean it was Nissan's preferred option, for reasons which turned out to be well founded.

There was an article in either Wheels or Motor a few years back on the subject. My brother showed it to me, so unless little bro can find it on command you have only my word the article exists. Unless of course it involved someone called Ivan, of which I can recall nothing of any Russian Johnnies.
Old 7 Aug 2005, 21:45 (Ref:1374508)   #50
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mabs_nsx
  • This would be cool
    Who likes my idea?
I do not. I detest it utterly. You have tossed aside on the scrap heap the corner stone of the Australian motor racing industry in order to make a nice looking but utterly unrealistic GT calendar.

October is the Bathurst 1000. Leave it be. Everyone who has ever tried to muck around with it, even Tony Cochrane, has learnt a rough lesson.

To contemplate replacing the race with a Bathurst 24 Hour, and a 1000 relocated to... a circuit which does not exists, and its chances of doing so are slim at best...

Does 45 years of history mean so little to you?

A Bathurst 24 hour for sports and/or GT certainly has its place but instead of a Bathurst 1000? There is not enough soap in the world to wash thy mouth out.