Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 21 Jul 2008, 12:31 (Ref:2255258)   #26
Uncle Cranker
Veteran

Australia
Victoria; Australia
Uncle Cranker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fomoco
Calder will become Kelior North or Kelior Rise,
With less than a handful of post till I give this all up (1000) I feel the need to share a thing or two.

Calder may not be a race track for ever, but one thing it won't be in next 15 years is a housing estate.

Bob's legacy will be the $200 K a month he pockets from a mob called LanTrak, they accept dirt, for a fee, and are building up all the spectator mounds in preparation for Calder becoming either the next big thing, or the next biggest white elephant.
Only time will tell what happens out there.
But if the planned civil works are completed, it will be firmly placed to take the reigns from Sandown. (pun very much intended......)

After being asked to pay a premium price for the capital improved value of the land, why would a developer spend millions moving all of the dirt piles just to sell it as housing, when the big flat paddock 5 minutes further up the highway is less than half the purchase price ?

Quote:
Winton will be turned into a Ethonal Plant once they work out how to grow sugar cane down there.
Right.....

With the impending closure of Lake Mokoan, and the infamous Brumby government North/South pipe, there won't be any be any water left to grow that Sugar Cane.

So sadly, fomoco; in five years, Winton will have survived, P.I will be nothing more than a cable TV feature on Lifestyles of the Rich & the Famous, Calder will be either shrouded in cobwebs, or hosting Open Drag racing, and V8 Supercars, and Sandown will be a figment of our imagination: neigh a distant memory.......

(I knew I'd find a horse somewhere....)

Old 21 Jul 2008, 13:35 (Ref:2255307)   #27
1200Datto27
Veteran

Australia
Croydon
1200Datto27 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nero
Both circuits are used regularly by MSCA/Grp 5 and a number of clubs so I doubt either could be called elitist or over-priced. FWIW the WRX club reportedly pulled out of a Calder event when the rent for the day was set at a level significantly higher than PI.
That's correct, the bill presented would have required an entry fee (for 80 entrants) of around $300, considering that that is nearly twice the fee for PI for the same number of entrants, it's a damn big hike.

We also where not informed of the price hike until 2 weeks before the event as well.
Old 22 Jul 2008, 06:29 (Ref:2255650)   #28
MPA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
MPA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Cranker

After being asked to pay a premium price for the capital improved value of the land, why would a developer spend millions moving all of the dirt piles just to sell it as housing, when the big flat paddock 5 minutes further up the highway is less than half the purchase price ?
Said before but it's worth saying again. It's all about snow. If those mounds get any taller Bob will have snow in winter.

A ski resort 20 minutes up the Calder.....
Old 22 Jul 2008, 07:10 (Ref:2255674)   #29
inpitlane
Veteran

inpitlane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPA
Said before but it's worth saying again. It's all about snow. If those mounds get any taller Bob will have snow in winter.

Snow at Calder is nothing new. I've been there twice when it's happened.
Old 22 Jul 2008, 07:59 (Ref:2255701)   #30
dmcl
Racer

dmcl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPA

MPA, close but as we know Bob Jane has a connection with UBD (as evidenced by Sandown Track signage), the closest suburb to Calder Park is called Hillside, so he is just making sure that that is factually correct, by building, hills.
Old 22 Jul 2008, 08:00 (Ref:2255702)   #31
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How big are the mounds getting ?? Surely the circuit is too short for the v8s to consider revisiting..
Old 22 Jul 2008, 08:31 (Ref:2255727)   #32
1200Datto27
Veteran

Australia
Croydon
1200Datto27 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Are we seeing Mt Panorama being replicated?
Old 22 Jul 2008, 09:14 (Ref:2255756)   #33
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcl
I find it somewhat confounding, that the same council that effectively evicted the Pakenham Auto Club from a site that was taken up with the new Bypass road can now find land to create a motorsport precinct.
When the former PAC autocross track was located on the freeway reserve (& the reason it was located there) it is hardly surprising they got the boot when the freeway was finally built. Good to hear that a new permanent venue might be found, the current one is only guaranteed for 12 months.
Old 22 Jul 2008, 09:22 (Ref:2255759)   #34
MPA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
A quick cut n paste from Aust Post's web site.

Postcode search.

POSTCODE: 3049
CATEGORY: Delivery Area

Seems both Melway and the Post Office recognise Calder Park. There's a line there but I'm leaving it to someone else to jump in....
Old 22 Jul 2008, 09:27 (Ref:2255763)   #35
MPA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raglanparade
How big are the mounds getting ?? Surely the circuit is too short for the v8s to consider revisiting..

Big mate, big.

Who needs the v8s when you can charge a small fortune for the lift ticket to get to the top of the ski run and not have to pay a sanction fee....
Old 22 Jul 2008, 11:10 (Ref:2255816)   #36
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Cranker
With less than a handful of post till I give this all up (1000) I feel the need to share a thing or two.

Calder may not be a race track for ever, but one thing it won't be in next 15 years is a housing estate.

Bob's legacy will be the $200 K a month he pockets from a mob called LanTrak, they accept dirt, for a fee, and are building up all the spectator mounds in preparation for Calder becoming either the next big thing, or the next biggest white elephant.
Only time will tell what happens out there.
But if the planned civil works are completed, it will be firmly placed to take the reigns from Sandown. (pun very much intended......)

Right.....

With the impending closure of Lake Mokoan, and the infamous Brumby government North/South pipe, there won't be any be any water left to grow that Sugar Cane.

So sadly, fomoco; in five years, Winton will have survived, P.I will be nothing more than a cable TV feature on Lifestyles of the Rich & the Famous, Calder will be either shrouded in cobwebs, or hosting Open Drag racing, and V8 Supercars, and Sandown will be a figment of our imagination: neigh a distant memory.......

(I knew I'd find a horse somewhere....)

S###, we may have to rejuvinate the old Hume Weir Circuit if this will happen UNCLE.
Old 24 Jul 2008, 01:45 (Ref:2256925)   #37
coln72
Racer

coln72 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nero
According to the Ballarat light car club members I spoke to the principle objections came from some local residents who were particularly concerned with the non-circuit events proposed and perhaps rightly too as it would have been a very substantial change in use and impact over and above its current use.
Those residents are quite happy to live on the edge of a freeway, under the flight path of the airport (with jet fighter joy flights) and within smelling distance of the sewrage farm, McCains food factory......
Old 24 Jul 2008, 09:30 (Ref:2257059)   #38
Nero
Racer

Nero should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by coln72
Those residents are quite happy to live on the edge of a freeway, under the flight path of the airport (with jet fighter joy flights) and within smelling distance of the sewrage farm, McCains food factory......

I did not say it was a nice area, but in the context of local government (spit!) they could obviously make a case that appealed to some making the decision.
FWIW I think Ballarat has missed out on a useful addition to the town.
Old 24 Jul 2008, 09:31 (Ref:2257061)   #39
Nero
Racer

Nero should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200Datto27
That's correct, the bill presented would have required an entry fee (for 80 entrants) of around $300, considering that that is nearly twice the fee for PI for the same number of entrants, it's a damn big hike.

We also where not informed of the price hike until 2 weeks before the event as well.

Thanks for confirming the report with some facts. Still strikes me as an extraordinary situation for a club to be faced with.
Old 24 Jul 2008, 11:09 (Ref:2257107)   #40
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Option 9: Turn Essedon airport into to a multi function centre,
1) Racing
2) Old hangers to vandalisms
3) Graffiti
4) Bus terminal - that could be destroyed as well
5) Night Club
6) Then night drags - computer based import cars
7) add more if you want

See a real sporting centre open to all the public, just a short drag up the tulla.

Just saved the Vic tax payers s&&& loads.

Old 24 Jul 2008, 21:51 (Ref:2257426)   #41
Silver GT
Racer

Silver GT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I dont know when you visited Essendon Airport last....but its now a large Industrial estate inluding a Coles supermarket and multiple car dealer ships as well as corporate offices.

Victoria does need a new multi purpose track....there is no ANDRA sanctioned drag racing events in Victoria ever since old senile Bob cracked it with ANDRA.

Packenam has some good roads for access...so I think it would work.
Old 25 Jul 2008, 08:30 (Ref:2257618)   #42
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver GT
I dont know when you visited Essendon Airport last....but its now a large Industrial estate inluding a Coles supermarket and multiple car dealer ships as well as corporate offices.

Victoria does need a new multi purpose track....there is no ANDRA sanctioned drag racing events in Victoria ever since old senile Bob cracked it with ANDRA.

Packenam has some good roads for access...so I think it would work.
Perfect, bend a car , buy another, could go to coles to buy food etc, or maybe close Morabbin and convert that. The folks down there might be happy for cars running around instead of planes.

WHy not make a road course of the new eastern link?

lighten up. Yes I know Melb needs something. pity Bob's missus didn't win the divorce case, could have sold Calder and then you would have a new owner and a change in attitudes.

just jokes.

We suffer the same in Brisvegas. Nothing new, so does Sydney, Perth.

cheer up, Maybe Jeff K as a lord mayor or Ted the white night could change a few things if elected.
Old 25 Jul 2008, 09:06 (Ref:2257641)   #43
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
we may have to rejuvinate the old Hume Weir Circuit
Hume Weir has been lost forever.

From what I've been told nearly half of it was buried to save the weir wall from collapse a few years ago.

Perhaps they could resurrect the old circuit around Cherry Lake in Altona (yes there was a track in Altona) or perhaps the site of the 1948 AGP, Point Cook RAAF Base. Still doable as the runway & taxiways used (looking at the track map in the history of the AGP book) are still there and you can check out the RAAF museum's plane collection at the same time.

While we are at it perhaps they can rebuild Tracey Speedway in Maribyrnong as well.
Old 26 Jul 2008, 05:14 (Ref:2258028)   #44
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVDA
Hume Weir has been lost forever.

From what I've been told nearly half of it was buried to save the weir wall from collapse a few years ago.
Funnily enough i was reading through some old AA's & there were moves afoot to re-open the place in the late-80s
Old 26 Jul 2008, 06:27 (Ref:2258039)   #45
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69
Funnily enough i was reading through some old AA's & there were moves afoot to re-open the place in the late-80s
http://www.tasman-series.com/misc/lo...r/humeweir.asp

Here's some current pictures. Doesn't look like much is left.
Old 28 Jul 2008, 00:28 (Ref:2258741)   #46
B24
Racer

Australia
Glebe, NSW, Australia
B24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.tasman-series.com/misc/lo...r/humeweir.asp

Thats a great website mountainstar.