Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 12 Jul 2004, 15:54 (Ref:1034358)   #26
senna12
Veteran

senna12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It seems that the FW26 is falling behind as the season progresses. Marc probably reflects the true performance of the car. The development program is not producing results, so it would seem that the tusks were the wrong way to go, in that there is no, or very little, room for improvement, aero-wise. As the other teams get a bit quicker, it's up to JP to get what results are possible.

Anyway, Marc has not earned a drive for next season, at this point, so if Webbie is not available until after Hungary, then give Pizzonia or JV a couple of races.
Old 12 Jul 2004, 16:12 (Ref:1034377)   #27
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!
I think Gene probably has damaged his possibilities for next year seat, after Silverstone.

Anyway, I think we have to put things in perspective. In France Gene was actually pretty good. Comparing positions doesn't show the full picture, it's necessary a deeper view.

Gene was just 0.1 sec behind JPM in grid, and in race his fastest lap was even better than JPM's. Certainly his average laptime was tenths below his teammate, but it is a reasonable gap.

Silverstone was different, though. This is a circuit where he trains extensively, so knowledge of the track is almost intimate. Along the weekend he has been around 0.5 secs behind Montoya, but he was hurt by his very bad lap in qualifying (don't forget: it is just one lap). Just one lap that has a big impact in (1) the perceived speed according to grid positions and (2) the possibility for a race without unneeded fights with lesser opposition.

He lagged JPM an average of 0.5 secs in race, it is not disastrous, but it is not good neither (taking in cosideration both of drivers are experienced in this track and with this car).

Gene has not done a good work in Silverstone, but his 2-GPs stint has not been so bad as it looks in a first view. My opinion, though, is Williams will search another driver who they can think is a reasonable winner.
Old 12 Jul 2004, 16:31 (Ref:1034394)   #28
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good post, Schummy.

This is the same as saying "Alonso finished 12th, sack him!". In Silverstone Gené's problem was not race pace, but his qualifying lap. A bit like what used to happen to DC last year. Marc got trapped behind slower cars and while his car could go faster (he was the 7th fastest car on track, only slower than the Ferraris, Raikkonen, Montoya, Button and amazing Fisico). Just like Sato, they were overdone by other teams' better strategies (Sauber) and while they could catch cars in front, they would not be able to pass.
However I think Williams will go for Webber, though I'm not completely convinced about him yet.
Old 12 Jul 2004, 16:34 (Ref:1034395)   #29
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Gene's performance shows Montoya is better than many think and the Williams package is worse than many think.
Old 12 Jul 2004, 17:13 (Ref:1034422)   #30
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!
And, in turn, that Ralf is a valuable driver
Old 12 Jul 2004, 17:22 (Ref:1034434)   #31
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
but i don't think his bashers .. will notice that

Ciao Marco
Old 12 Jul 2004, 17:53 (Ref:1034470)   #32
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Gene certainly hasn't lived up to expectations many have placed on him, particularly the Williams team who would have at least expected the drive like he had at Monza last year.

However, I don't think putting Pizzonia in the car will be an answer either.
Old 12 Jul 2004, 18:11 (Ref:1034487)   #33
QuickSilver
Racer

QuickSilver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
so the question remains: who can Sir Frank put in the FW26 to earn some points while Ralf is laid up?
a) Gene
b) Pizzonia
c) JV1 - Jacques
d) JV2 - Jos
e) Mika H.
f) Anthony Davidson (??)
g) McNish (??)
h) __________
-
hmmmm ... I kinda liked (f) as soon as I put his name down.
-
Old 12 Jul 2004, 23:22 (Ref:1034817)   #34
Fondmetal
Rookie

Fondmetal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
williams are ****ing stupid! they should have tested JV from the momment ralf had his crash! JV is a charger like monto, and cus he hasnt had much time in the williams dont mean nothing! look on his debut, in 96 how he got the car on pole and nearly won! it u are a fast driver and a WC u dont loose it in 9 months!

how can u expect gene ( good test driver) who has not raced for 3 odd yrs to fill in and be on the pace instantly! hes not bad, but will take him atleast 4-5 races to get up to speed with one lap qualifying and race pace and performing at another level in races...he may do 100s of miles in testing but nothing beat the real race experience!

Last edited by Fondmetal; 12 Jul 2004 at 23:23.
Old 12 Jul 2004, 23:24 (Ref:1034818)   #35
Fondmetal
Rookie

Fondmetal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
oh and forget davidson!! look the the mess he made when he stepped in for yoong at minradi? being fast in fri practise running low fuel loads dont make u a mega star! another hyped driver like webber!
Old 13 Jul 2004, 01:06 (Ref:1034876)   #36
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Is Gene worthy? Well, i thought he was after Monza 2003, but now i don't think so. Put Pizzonia in the car for Germany, after all what have Williams got to lose?
Old 13 Jul 2004, 01:07 (Ref:1034877)   #37
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Fondmetal
oh and forget davidson!! look the the mess he made when he stepped in for yoong at minradi? being fast in fri practise running low fuel loads dont make u a mega star! another hyped driver like webber!
So thats why Sir Frank might be interested in both drivers then?
Old 13 Jul 2004, 01:34 (Ref:1034884)   #38
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Fodmetal? I almost did'nt see you there behind that agenda you are pushing.

Marc is a good tester, and I'm sure Williams will keep his as such. I dont expect him to up with someone with Montoya's talent, but I do expect him (on his home track) to be at least in front of both Jags.

I think Pizzonia should get a chance, how Hungary would this boy be to prove the Jag management wrong?
Old 13 Jul 2004, 01:53 (Ref:1034887)   #39
senna12
Veteran

senna12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As much as I, like any patriotic Canuck, would like to see JV in the car, at least until or after Hungary, I realistically feel that Pizzonia should be race tested, while this opportunity presents itself.
Old 13 Jul 2004, 03:25 (Ref:1034920)   #40
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I like Gene and felt he did well in the car last year. His race speed isn't bad either but the problem theses days is that unless someone makes a mistake the pits are the only place you can get past.
His performances haven't impressed me and i agree that Frank should try someone else in the car. If JV, Hakkinen, Pizzonia, even Dixon, could have a run, it might put things into a better perspective. As it is, it is hard to be completely objective and thats the trouble these days. The result is not necessarily reflective of a drivers true ability and the data may tell a different story but I'd still like to see some others have a go.
Old 13 Jul 2004, 04:08 (Ref:1034934)   #41
Andre the Giant
Rookie

Andre the Giant should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gene is the Luca Badoer of Williams, and thats his limit.
Old 13 Jul 2004, 04:19 (Ref:1034938)   #42
grumpy1
Veteran

grumpy1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr V
So thats why Sir Frank might be interested in both drivers then?
Here here Mr V

Fondmetal I know your pushing the JV barrow but given Williams interest in Webber and Davo JV hasn't got a chance.My understanding is piza this time then Webber.
Old 13 Jul 2004, 08:06 (Ref:1035009)   #43
Attila
Racer

Attila should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You foregot about Heidfeld. I just read that Williams could be interested in Heidfeld but Jordan wants $3 million for his release. BMW is said to be happier with a German driver. If I were Williams I would want to keep BMW happy, because there are other teams out there who would want to keep BMW happy.
Old 13 Jul 2004, 08:20 (Ref:1035020)   #44
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
I don't think that Fondmetal watches the same F1 involving stars like Webber and Davidson as us. Is there another F1 series with underperforming drivers of the same name?

And Andre, you have summed it up in one sentence. Gene and Badoer were on equal terms in a 1999 Minardi and they obviously were not seen as good enough to be racing drivers, but testers.

I have a feeling Webber will be in a Williams this year, but not until Belgium, as my sources tell me. Pizzonia will more than likely fill the gap of two races.
Old 13 Jul 2004, 08:29 (Ref:1035025)   #45
josvandeperre
Veteran

England
Central London
josvandeperre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Today's Telegraph has Fisichella asked but not allowed to take the seat for the remaining races - and Heidfeld probable as a result - they point out there is a lot of pressure to resolve it this week due to the testing ban in AUgust whereas everyone is testing this week Monza Silverstone & Jerez I believe
Old 13 Jul 2004, 08:47 (Ref:1035047)   #46
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Andre the Giant
Gene is the Luca Badoer of Williams, and thats his limit.
Dare I say it - on qualifying and race pace, Gene is no further from Montoya than Barrichello usually is from Schumacher...
Old 13 Jul 2004, 12:00 (Ref:1035226)   #47
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Heidfeld ????

That would be a interesting choice... But if Williams want new blood, I guess Ant Davidson is the right man in the right place.
Old 13 Jul 2004, 12:40 (Ref:1035281)   #48
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
MArc doesn't seem to be up to the job, and I'm not sure Pizzonia would be. If they can definately get Webber, Villeneuve or Heidfeld in for Hockenheim (personally I wouldn't run JV without testing him first), I can't see the point in persisting with him. If they can't sort out an alternative driver before the testing ban, they might as well try Pizzonia (I think they'd still have a driver change left if need be).
Old 13 Jul 2004, 13:27 (Ref:1035360)   #49
bacon sandwich
Racer

United Kingdom
basildon essex
bacon sandwich should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Totally agree with you Wrex - would have liked to see him do well - but I think Pizzonia will be in the car come Hockenheim!
Old 13 Jul 2004, 14:02 (Ref:1035412)   #50
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Gene not worthy IMO...

last years Monza performance was hyped... The car last year was much better compared to the rest of the field.. The Michelin tyres had an advantage...