Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 14 Sep 2006, 23:54 (Ref:1710604)   #26
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Six Jolly Fellowship Porters
Last2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by freud
I think 2007 will be the best racing season in sometime
Ya me too Freud.

People seem to have forgotten how, as I remember it anyway, Kimi just ran away from JPM on a fairly consistent basis on the same team in equivalent cars. Having watched JPM all through CART and lately F1, he is no slouch behind the wheel, but behind Kimi and I think JPM's quicker than Massa.

Massa's just gonna have to prove me wrong next year.

Last edited by Last2LiftOff; 14 Sep 2006 at 23:58.
Old 15 Sep 2006, 00:14 (Ref:1710607)   #27
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
I believe that Kimi will give Felipe a complete trouncing..
Old 15 Sep 2006, 02:20 (Ref:1710650)   #28
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I can't see one year in a Ferrari giving Massa an advantage, Kimi will be quick to come to terms with the red machine.
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 15 Sep 2006, 03:01 (Ref:1710669)   #29
Turbo_Charged
Rookie

Switzerland
Zuerich
Turbo_Charged should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting topic. Kimi had a very good Sauber under him and got the results... Massa's Sauber wasn't a great car but apart from his wilderness and lack of experience, he didn't do a bad job against Heidfeld. I think both are quick... Kimi is not as emotional as Felipe, and therefore less likely to make mistakes. Massa has an incredible raw speed and got a lot better after his year as a Ferrari test driver... Back at Sauber, we all knew he was quicker than Fisichella but he was still making mistakes, but against Jacques he was the superb. BMW would love to have kept him. Massa has more to do with Michael's retirement than a lot of people think.

My opintion for next year? Kimi... but it will be very close. Also keep in mind that Coulthard kept him honest for a couple of races at McLaren is his first season.
Old 15 Sep 2006, 06:38 (Ref:1710699)   #30
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Hmm...it's the guy who scored points on his debut in a Sauber vs the guy who can't handle Parabolica if there's a car in the same time zone as him.
Old 15 Sep 2006, 07:57 (Ref:1710741)   #31
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ensign14
Hmm...it's the guy who scored points on his debut in a Sauber vs the guy who can't handle Parabolica if there's a car in the same time zone as him.
Ooh ouch!!

Steady on old boy!!
Old 15 Sep 2006, 08:20 (Ref:1710770)   #32
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Apparently there is some aerodynamic device which severely affects downforce of a car which gets anywhere near it. It is only on the Renault of Alonso and has no effect on any car other than the Ferrari.
Old 15 Sep 2006, 09:37 (Ref:1710831)   #33
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
I think Kimi will come out on top primarily because he is "steadier" than Massa - at the moment. It may be that Massa is simply maturing at a different rate. To me, he still seemed to make the sort of mistakes that a young driver does: inconsistent mental preparation, dealing with traffic, etc.

On raw speed there is not a huge gap. I do not think that there will be a big gap in points between the two of them either.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 15 Sep 2006, 11:00 (Ref:1710893)   #34
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
We haven't had the benefit of seeing Kimi in a car which is both fast and reliable. He has been cursed by appalling luck up until now. I suspect that with a stable and fast car beneathe him he will be awesome. Massa seems to have settled down form his earlier wildness, but as of yet, neither has an unblemished record. I suspect that ferrari will suffer a lot of DNF's next season-more than they have in recent years and it won't be because the car failed.

My two cents: Massa will be close to Kimi at the start of the season and perhaps slightly ahead, by mid-season, Kimi surges ahead and by the end, is the clear leader.

Be prepared for a lot of shots of Ferraris with missing wheels.
Old 15 Sep 2006, 11:03 (Ref:1710897)   #35
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
You can see what will happen just looking at the last results...
Old 15 Sep 2006, 11:42 (Ref:1710933)   #36
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by EERO
We haven't had the benefit of seeing Kimi in a car which is both fast and reliable.
True.
We have seen him in a(n almost) reliable car. He came second in the championship and took it down to the wire (although there was one blow-up while in the lead!).

In a fast car we have seen him win races.

Fast and reliable, sounds ominous.
Old 15 Sep 2006, 12:11 (Ref:1710972)   #37
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Last2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi
You can see what will happen just looking at the last results...
Ya, let's review shall we...Kimi: 2nd, 8 secs behind Michael; Massa.........where'd he end-up again? Did he finish in the points?
Old 15 Sep 2006, 12:21 (Ref:1710980)   #38
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
...and the Turkish GP results were ?
Old 15 Sep 2006, 12:45 (Ref:1711015)   #39
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi
...and the Turkish GP results were ?
Felipe did well, sure, it was a great drive. But he's also in the other Ferrari. I think Kimi bringing his McLaren home only 8 secs behind in that last race was a better one. I'm trying to remember some lap times at Monza.......
Old 15 Sep 2006, 13:28 (Ref:1711057)   #40
senna12
Veteran

senna12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Kimi is fortunate to be a very quick driver, because I feel that will be his biggest advantage while making the adjustment to a new team with a different way of doing things, particularly things like race preparation (which would have been basically Michael's way). F1 is still a team sport, and chemistry and politics are still important. Kimi's penchant for socializing to the point of memory loss is well documented. Will it be tolerated by the tifosi if "incidents" start to happen?
Any less of a driver would have a bigger adjustment period than Kimi is expected to. This should be interesting, since you can be sure that Felipe has a new mission, and he's proven to be quick enough to race with anyone.
Old 15 Sep 2006, 13:49 (Ref:1711076)   #41
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

That's it, Felipe the man on a mission.
Old 15 Sep 2006, 18:08 (Ref:1711272)   #42
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last2LiftOff

People seem to have forgotten how, as I remember it anyway, Kimi just ran away from JPM on a fairly consistent basis on the same team in equivalent cars. Having watched JPM all through CART and lately F1, he is no slouch behind the wheel, but behind Kimi and I think JPM's quicker than Massa.
But it doesn't simply work like that in F1. You need to have the complete package, not just the speed but to fit in with the team and develop a car to suit your needs.

It is doubtful that Kimi will have any problems like this, but it is something to consider.
Old 15 Sep 2006, 22:45 (Ref:1711455)   #43
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Sure, of course. But I don't recall ever hearing McLaren complaining, I might've missed it though.
Old 15 Sep 2006, 22:53 (Ref:1711461)   #44
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Absolutely no complaints from McLaren at all, he fitted in well there.
Old 15 Sep 2006, 23:10 (Ref:1711469)   #45
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
2007 looks like it could be a very good year for F1.
Old 15 Sep 2006, 23:41 (Ref:1711487)   #46
senna12
Veteran

senna12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last2LiftOff
Sure, of course. But I don't recall ever hearing McLaren complaining, I might've missed it though.
Actually, I think Ron sent a letter to Kimi and his manager once, after one of Kimis' more memorable events (it may have been after he fell off the party boat a couple of years ago, I'm not sure).

Ron said when Kimi joined the team that he would allow him to wreck a few cars along the way, and he certainly did that.
We'll see how things shake out when the inevitable comparisons between K and M begin in earnest.
Old 15 Sep 2006, 23:58 (Ref:1711494)   #47
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
This is why I give Kimi the advantage. He is more mature on track and the drama at McLaren with JPM and all will help him deal with the media. One thing that does concern me is the "expectations" thing. Fans will now expect Kimi to perform at a certain level and when he doesn't of course they will be generous and understanding - just like everyone here on the boards!

I hope for his sake that Todt and Brawn stay.

My other concern for Massa is that he might be more likely to bin it trying to show he is faster than Kimi.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 16 Sep 2006, 10:28 (Ref:1711759)   #48
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSSC

My other concern for Massa is that he might be more likely to bin it trying to show he is faster than Kimi.
To be fair to Felipe, he hasn't binned it when he has been quicker than Michael.
Old 16 Sep 2006, 12:11 (Ref:1711801)   #49
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Truth is he has been better each race, even when not very effective.
Old 16 Sep 2006, 12:44 (Ref:1711810)   #50
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by senna12
Actually, I think Ron sent a letter to Kimi and his manager once, after one of Kimis' more memorable events (it may have been after he fell off the party boat a couple of years ago, I'm not sure).
Ya I seem to remember that. Wasn't that last year before Monaco? Never been there but it looks like a pretty good place to party. How'd he do?

Oh ya, he won it.