Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 5 Mar 2011, 14:39 (Ref:2840598)   #26
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You have a PM Andy.
Old 5 Mar 2011, 14:46 (Ref:2840599)   #27
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
As a matter of interest what is involved getting the chanel on Terrestial Freeview, do the TV company have to pay to use the service?
Old 5 Mar 2011, 15:10 (Ref:2840614)   #28
Andy77
Veteran

Andy77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghinzani View Post
You have a PM Andy.
You have a reply
Old 5 Mar 2011, 16:43 (Ref:2840663)   #29
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
As a matter of interest what is involved getting the chanel on Terrestial Freeview, do the TV company have to pay to use the service?
I think they've got to pay a subscription to the marketing budget, plus own the bandwidth (I think they're let out by the owners of the multiplex, I think Arqiva own two). For Freesat, it's get the space on the satellite from SES Astra, plus the EPG subscription.
Old 5 Mar 2011, 17:52 (Ref:2840694)   #30
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Just thinking. I have a satelite dish with 4 LNBs, 2 of which are currently connected to Sky+. I have my old sky box, so if I connect it to one of the spare LNBs and then to a TV, without a card, will I be able to watch anything? In particular, Motors.

I also have my old Virgin box and an incoming connection (I also have their Broadband). Will this work for freeview channels if connected?

PS, some relief, I took the title to mean it had been replaced by Fashion TV. Phew!
Old 5 Mar 2011, 18:10 (Ref:2840699)   #31
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post
Just thinking. I have a satelite dish with 4 LNBs, 2 of which are currently connected to Sky+. I have my old sky box, so if I connect it to one of the spare LNBs and then to a TV, without a card, will I be able to watch anything? In particular, Motors.

I also have my old Virgin box and an incoming connection (I also have their Broadband). Will this work for freeview channels if connected?

PS, some relief, I took the title to mean it had been replaced by Fashion TV. Phew!
Wolley - yes some appropriate cable and your old box will work BUT I dont think you will get anything other than some of Freesat without a card, certainly shouldnt get Motors. Of course if you have a Sky+ box and subscription currently then you can now see Motors. To get it on your old box will require a Freesatfronsky card, £25 to you sir.

Depends if your Virgin box is analogue or digital - if its the latter then I believe it wont act as a basic Freeview box without subscription, but dont quote me on that. I know in the old days you could get a basic few channels on analouge, and the analouge boxs worked even without a subscription to give you a few more than the basic, but I think that changed with Digital. I know I was going to buy a Digi V box off Ebay for my work flat but was told not to bother, as without a subscription it wont work - but it may be different if its paired under ur old sub.
Old 5 Mar 2011, 18:21 (Ref:2840709)   #32
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

Heres the list of channels one gets on Freesat (free)
http://www.radioandtelly.co.uk/freesatchannels.html

and FreesatfromSky (£25)
http://www.sky.com/shop/freesat/home/what-can-i-watch/

and I think with an old Sky box you get most of that minus some of the Channel 5 stuff and maybe E4?
Old 5 Mar 2011, 20:01 (Ref:2840746)   #33
Andy77
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post

Just for me to understand . Why do you have two lnb's pointing to Astra 2 at 28.2° ? Makes not much sense to me except you want to get around a multi-switch
Old 5 Mar 2011, 20:29 (Ref:2840751)   #34
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy77 View Post
Just for me to understand . Why do you have two lnb's pointing to Astra 2 at 28.2° ? Makes not much sense to me except you want to get around a multi-switch
Andy, Sky plus requires two feeds, hence two of the quad lnbs four feeds are taken up. Plus side is it leaves all sky plus users with two ports free for freesat.
Old 5 Mar 2011, 20:44 (Ref:2840754)   #35
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Andy, Sky plus requires two feeds, hence two of the quad lnbs four feeds are taken up. Plus side is it leaves all sky plus users with two ports free for freesat.
You still only need one lnb though as long as it has two feeds.
Old 5 Mar 2011, 21:05 (Ref:2840763)   #36
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
You still only need one lnb though as long as it has two feeds.
Indeed, Sky now fit quad LNBs as standard, although you can get twin or even Octo ones. A single LNB will work but means you cant record one thing and watch another.
Old 6 Mar 2011, 11:41 (Ref:2840970)   #37
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Four LNB's work very nicely if you have what we have, Sky+ in the bedroom and Sky+HD downstairs.
Old 6 Mar 2011, 13:40 (Ref:2841018)   #38
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy77 View Post
hmmm i'd need an old and used skybox and someone in the UK helping me in getting a sky free sat card and doing the register for me.

Any takers ?
Quote:
You have a PM Andy.
Are you sorted yet?
Old 6 Mar 2011, 19:18 (Ref:2841110)   #39
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Are you sorted yet?
Im just trying to work out if an expired card rather than a FreeSatfromSky will suffice for Andy to watch FTV stuff like Motors, would save him £25 - Ive got one coming which I will pair up with a box here to ascertain if thats feasible.
Old 6 Mar 2011, 19:22 (Ref:2841115)   #40
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
An expired Sky card won't give FTV channels on a Sky box
Old 6 Mar 2011, 19:24 (Ref:2841116)   #41
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
My card still works although the subscription was only turned off last week but I did have another spare card that I threw in the bin last week as I knew I'd never need it again.
Old 7 Mar 2011, 00:54 (Ref:2841233)   #42
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Might be worth having a play with the various options to see what channels I can get on the upstairs tv, then. Seems daft if I've got digital boxes and can't get digital channels on them now they're turning the analogue off. Rerouting the old aerial just doesn't seem worth the effort.
Old 7 Mar 2011, 09:46 (Ref:2841373)   #43
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

Tried it last night, didnt work but the Sky people did give me some info. If the expired subscription card is registered to you then it will give you FTV, however you cant then register an expired card to a new box OR an expired card that was not registered to you to another box (still with me?) - so it looks like the only way is to get freeSatfromSky card.

Wooley - you can feed off two more Satellite box's, be they old Sky or a FreeSat or just a plain Digi Sat box (Lidl regulalry sell 'em for £30) to your two available slots. Also re you old aeriel, you may find it works better for Freeview Digital when the Analouge is switched off in your area - I know it dod for some of my relatives in Cornwall - saved them having to lash out on a new 'Digital' aeriel, as they are misleadingly titled.
Old 12 Apr 2011, 18:16 (Ref:2862531)   #44
Andy77
Veteran

Quote:
Are you sorted yet?
Just to get back to you. It works like a charme but needs the already mentioned Freesat from Sky card. Ghinzani was kind enough to get the needed stuff together and sending it my way.

I have the skybox on loop through of my main receiver, a comag sl40 hd. Only thing is to remember to switch off the comag on any Astra2 channel so that the relais keeps being stuck on that position in order to get the skybox on loop-through working.
Old 12 Apr 2011, 19:51 (Ref:2862584)   #45
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm in Germany too, already got the dish set up to receive FTV channels...so if I get the Freesat card and a Skybox (do I really need that or can I run the card in my regular Humax receiver?) I can watch it? Any suggestions on how I could acquire these things would be appreciated
Old 13 Apr 2011, 06:45 (Ref:2862753)   #46
Andy77
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Eye View Post
I'm in Germany too, already got the dish set up to receive FTV channels...so if I get the Freesat card and a Skybox (do I really need that or can I run the card in my regular Humax receiver?) I can watch it? Any suggestions on how I could acquire these things would be appreciated
If one of your LNB's already points to Astra 2 28.2°/28.5° east you are set. I am not sure if your Humax box is of use as it needs to do videoguard en-/decryption in order to read the sky freesat card.
Please have a look in the manual of the Humax receiver which en-/decryption systems it supports. Under the premise that the receiver can do videoguard you'd indeed only need the card.

On another note, there is another satelite on its way into position at 28.2° east. This new satelite is supposed to take over a lot of the English channels and it is rumoured that its footprint will be way closer belting around the UK, so that reception here in Germany might get harder (=needs bigger dish size). So it is about a year only from now, where reception from Astra 2 at 28.2° east still can be guarranteed

Last edited by Andy77; 13 Apr 2011 at 06:51.
Old 13 Apr 2011, 09:38 (Ref:2862803)   #47
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

If the card can be paired to the Humax then its simply a case of ordering from UK, which is easy. Il do some digging and get back to you.
Old 13 Apr 2011, 09:58 (Ref:2862813)   #48
Andy77
Veteran

Thanks for helping out again
Old 13 Apr 2011, 15:27 (Ref:2862923)   #49
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

Spoke to Sky, has to be a Sky box its paired with.
Old 13 Apr 2011, 20:21 (Ref:2863023)   #50
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thanks for your help. So I'd have to get someone in the UK to order the card, plus pick up a box...I suppose a used one from ebay would do.