Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 12 Feb 2007, 05:26 (Ref:1839010)   #26
KE30MAN
Racer

KE30MAN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Given that he has massive head and neck injuries, I am sure that's the last of his worries.
Old 12 Feb 2007, 05:31 (Ref:1839013)   #27
FalconEL
Racer

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland
FalconEL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaksnaf
Will the driver have to fork out some $$$ for the damage....
Depends what the cause of the accident was I guess.

I hope the driver and instructor pull through OK. The damage certainly looks pretty bad.

I can't seem to find any further news around the net on the condition of the two involved.
"I still can't spin the wheels all the way down the straight in high gear", Mark Donohue (The Unfair Advantage) commenting to the Porsche engineers on the 1100hp 1973 Can-Am Porsche 917-30 when asked whether the car has enough horsepower yet!!
Old 12 Feb 2007, 05:34 (Ref:1839014)   #28
FalconEL
Racer

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland
Quote:
Originally Posted by rallyfiend
I suspect anyone with a CAMS license will definately be forking out for the damage.
Just not the damage to the car.....
I would be guessing that the V8 Experience would be covered under a AASA Permit, not a CAMS Permit.

Last edited by FalconEL; 12 Feb 2007 at 05:37.
"I still can't spin the wheels all the way down the straight in high gear", Mark Donohue (The Unfair Advantage) commenting to the Porsche engineers on the 1100hp 1973 Can-Am Porsche 917-30 when asked whether the car has enough horsepower yet!!
Old 12 Feb 2007, 05:37 (Ref:1839015)   #29
rallyfiend
Rookie

rallyfiend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That doens't mean it doesn't scare insurance companies.
A cyclone could hit a country on the other side of the world and your insurance could still go up.
To an actuary, an incident like this still counts as a tick against the risk of insuring (any) motorsport.
Old 12 Feb 2007, 06:48 (Ref:1839030)   #30
roverboy
Rookie

Australia
Brisbane
roverboy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconEL
I would be guessing that the V8 Experience would be covered under a AASA Permit, not a CAMS Permit.
Why would they need a permit. The owners of V8 Experience and QR are one and the same. No different than going to the local go-kart centre I'd say, just sign on the dotted line and away you go. Still, hope their personal insurance was paid up.

Anyone know who the instructor was? A local racer maybe?
Old 12 Feb 2007, 06:49 (Ref:1839031)   #31
Aarrgh8
Veteran

Aarrgh8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
'V8 Supercars extends its wishes.."

What wishes are they? Wishes that it never happened, or wishes that the news hadn't got out?
Old 12 Feb 2007, 07:05 (Ref:1839037)   #32
davester
Racer

davester should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarrgh8
'V8 Supercars extends its wishes.."

What wishes are they? Wishes that it never happened, or wishes that the news hadn't got out?
I don't think we need any synicism on this while a couple of lads are up against it with serious injuries.

With V8 Supercars being a registered brand, and with thier brand being incorrectly reported, of course they will make a statement of fact. Do you think the media would tidy up thier little mistake...nope, they just leave the damage (incorrect reporting) lying by the kerb.

At least VESA passed on thier best wishes...
Old 12 Feb 2007, 07:31 (Ref:1839043)   #33
Ozenigma
Rookie

Australia
Ozenigma should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My Nephew was out there doing a drive in the AU that is painted like ellery's old car. he left just b4 this happened but just told me that a few had complained about the brakes on the BA, saing they were soft. he also said that the waiver contained a excess incase of damage of $1000. Bloody sad that this should happen.
Old 12 Feb 2007, 07:50 (Ref:1839054)   #34
Moose
Rookie

Australia
Plumpton, NSW
Moose should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernandez_Angel
You know, I would rather fork out an extra few hundred bucks to get a hot lap with SBR or HRT, cos that they you know you arent going to kill yourself and you know that you have a professional driver that knows his car and KNOWS WHAT HE'S DOING.

Also I reckon Full face helmets should be made mandatory for these types of activities. I reckon those open face helmets should only be allowed for Rally Car use.

Maybe Im just skeptical but if that was my life, id rather like i sed pay a few hundred more for a hot lap.
I have done this at Eastern Creek more than once, these guys are professional driving instructors, they DO know what they are doing, and there is insurance in place etc. - as mentioned above there is a $1000 waiver, but hey, to get to drive a V8 at high speed, is an unreal experience in itself.

The fact an accident has occured and two people are in serious condition is very unfortunate and I hope and pray they both recover fully, but you take the risk doing this with anybody.

Who says SBR drivers wouldn't cross it up and put it into the wall.

Moose
Old 12 Feb 2007, 07:56 (Ref:1839058)   #35
James63
Veteran

Australia
Q
James63 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Are these cars built different in terms of safety to an actual V8 supercar?? Generally we don't hear of these types of injuries in V8 supercars, especially not at a place like QLD...What has made this so different?
Old 12 Feb 2007, 08:51 (Ref:1839097)   #36
XW GT
Racer

Australia
Adelaide
XW GT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by James63
Are these cars built different in terms of safety to an actual V8 supercar?? Generally we don't hear of these types of injuries in V8 supercars, especially not at a place like QLD...What has made this so different?
Firstly let us all hope that the injured people are going to be OK. I have spoken to several people today that have told me that the cars are a tad old but very fast. This is not to say that the cars are unsafe, but people involved in the V8 Drive experience are very nervous about the future of the program at Eastern Creek and Calder Park.
Old 12 Feb 2007, 09:27 (Ref:1839131)   #37
Spunky
Racer

Spunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernandez_Angel
You know, I would rather fork out an extra few hundred bucks to get a hot lap with SBR or HRT, cos that they you know you arent going to kill yourself and you know that you have a professional driver that knows his car and KNOWS WHAT HE'S DOING.

Also I reckon Full face helmets should be made mandatory for these types of activities. I reckon those open face helmets should only be allowed for Rally Car use.

Maybe Im just skeptical but if that was my life, id rather like i sed pay a few hundred more for a hot lap.
Doesn't matter who drives accidents still happen, care to cast your mind back to a ride day out at QR when Lowndes put it on top of the tyre barrier!!!
I don't know how many times I have been out there and listened to inexperienced drivers get quicker and quicker, they think they can handle it and it is not as easy as they think, however I am not suggesting for one minute that this is what happened yesterday.

I have since found out who the instucter is and I sincerley hope that both he and the driver will be ok.
Old 12 Feb 2007, 11:06 (Ref:1839200)   #38
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
From the damage to the car in retro's scan and Here, it doesnt look like a particularly heavy hit...
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 12 Feb 2007, 11:08 (Ref:1839204)   #39
Aarrgh8
Veteran

Aarrgh8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by davester
I don't think we need any synicism on this while a couple of lads are up against it with serious injuries.

At least VESA passed on thier best wishes...
I take the reprimand on board without taking much notice of it - but it's on board. A 'couple of lads' are up against it with serious injuries, and that's no good at all, but worse things happen at sea, in kayaks.

I guess I've got a more pragmatic view of life, death and injuries than some - and probably with good reason. Sorry if you think I was in bad taste, or cynical, or whatever. Try listening to surgeons performing life-saving operations if you really want bad taste or cynicism.
Old 12 Feb 2007, 12:36 (Ref:1839275)   #40
Rombles1
Veteran

Australia
Facebook
Rombles1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarrgh8
I take the reprimand on board without taking much notice of it - but it's on board. A 'couple of lads' are up against it with serious injuries, and that's no good at all, but worse things happen at sea, in kayaks.

You are probably not so likely to hit a wall in a kayak, though
Old 12 Feb 2007, 15:22 (Ref:1839434)   #41
Senna05
Veteran

Australia
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Senna05 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've seen cars in better nick with more serious injuries (not saying this in bad taste, just saying that bad things can look less severe than they are)...

I wish all involved a speedy recovery....

Anyone saying these things should stop, well, I have only one thing to say - If we sanitised our lives so we couldn't be injured, we'd all be wrapped in tissue paper and bored senseless!

Hopefully the guys pull through, any measures that can be taken to minimise the risk in the future are taken, and things like this can go on in the future! (th experiences, not the crash, of course.)

PS - I've seen a kayak hit a wall on a man made water course. Actually, I should say I've hit a wall in a kayak on a man made course. And I needed physio for a week afterwards! (the physio says he's still never seen a case of shaggers back as bad!) :P
Old 12 Feb 2007, 20:26 (Ref:1839707)   #42
matt_015
Racer

Australia
Brisbane,Australia
matt_015 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by retro
O sorry guys from the Air it looked lie a WPS/WOW V8supercar car but i was wrong, my bad.
Old 12 Feb 2007, 20:34 (Ref:1839724)   #43
matt_015
Racer

Australia
Brisbane,Australia
matt_015 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spunky
Doesn't matter who drives accidents still happen, care to cast your mind back to a ride day out at QR when Lowndes put it on top of the tyre barrier!!!
I don't know how many times I have been out there and listened to inexperienced drivers get quicker and quicker, they think they can handle it and it is not as easy as they think, however I am not suggesting for one minute that this is what happened yesterday.

I have since found out who the instucter is and I sincerley hope that both he and the driver will be ok.
Yer that's right. It does not matter who your driving with somthern could off failed in the car. It was probley not there fault. And i am shore there very Exprince if there having Hot Laps in a near v8supercar car look. And Fernandez_Angel i am pretty shore they no what they were doing and not being Stupied
Old 13 Feb 2007, 00:06 (Ref:1839884)   #44
Prickly_Goo
Veteran

Australia
somewhere you arent...
Prickly_Goo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_015
Yer that's right. It does not matter who your driving with somthern could off failed in the car. It was probley not there fault. And i am shore there very Exprince if there having Hot Laps in a near v8supercar car look. And Fernandez_Angel i am pretty shore they no what they were doing and not being Stupied
What you say? I cant read your bad spelling.
Old 13 Feb 2007, 02:34 (Ref:1839927)   #45
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
http://www.thechronicle.com.au/local...ondsubsection=

Oh man this hurts.

James and Robbie are deadset the two nicest guys in the pits. James was a star last year, in his first year out of karting he progressed out of site in an old car to be regularly on the podium by the end of the season.

Pull through buddy, we're thinking about you heaps!
Old 14 Feb 2007, 01:40 (Ref:1840867)   #46
Datto1600
Rookie

Australia
Toowoomba Qld
Datto1600 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some more info.

Good to see Jimmy is doing better and hopefully young James.
Old 14 Feb 2007, 02:15 (Ref:1840873)   #47
v8race1
Racer

v8race1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great news. Just hope they both come through 100% and be trackside soon.
Old 14 Feb 2007, 03:20 (Ref:1840895)   #48
FalconEL
Racer

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland
That is great news!

Let's keep our fingers crossed that they can both continue on the road to full recovery
Old 24 Feb 2007, 08:16 (Ref:1850340)   #49
Datto1600
Rookie

Australia
Toowoomba Qld
Datto1600 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Latest update on the boys.

Old 24 Feb 2007, 12:45 (Ref:1850513)   #50
scoupe
Rookie

scoupe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The picture shows that he is carrying the Blank video before getting into the car. Not that I am suggesting anyone would like to see it , but at least the insurance companys will have the footage and wont be able to argue over what happened and all their bills will be paid promptly and not dragged out for years.