Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Virtual Racers

Old 11 Sep 2004, 16:01 (Ref:1093033)   #26
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Pass.
Old 11 Sep 2004, 16:23 (Ref:1093051)   #27
Fish_Flake
Veteran

Georgia
The Foothills of North Georgia
Fish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Easy, man. I wasn't being serious. If I wasn't so adamant on my refusal of emoticons, I would've thrown in a smiley or two in there. Besides, I rarely advance past the quick reply box. I was merely trying to say, "Yeah, I know about online racing, but I need some more practice. Don't tease me like that!"

Last edited by Fish_Flake; 11 Sep 2004 at 16:25.
Old 11 Sep 2004, 22:21 (Ref:1093311)   #28
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Aysedasi
Menu music

Menu music

This is GPL man, not Lego Racers.........

Ahhh, so you play Lego Racers eh Ayse?

We all know now.
Old 12 Sep 2004, 07:08 (Ref:1093716)   #29
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I do have it somewhere - given to my son several years ago.

Honest!
Old 12 Sep 2004, 23:42 (Ref:1094534)   #30
Fish_Flake
Veteran

Georgia
Fish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
OK, I've downloaded and installed the all-in-one patcher. The problem is, now the program runs like molasses (and that's everything, even the end credits), and I still can't save my driver profile. What do I have to do at this point?
Old 13 Sep 2004, 07:25 (Ref:1094738)   #31
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
make sure your driver folder is not read only . there is an utility CROA(maybe someone can link to it ) . that can changes the atributes of all folders and subfolders ..

Ciao Marco
Old 13 Sep 2004, 18:38 (Ref:1095506)   #32
Fish_Flake
Veteran

Georgia
Now the sim is either running very slow or very fast. I've been taking a more thorough look at the FAQ page at Race Sim Central, and I found a few notes of importance in my scenario...
Quote:
GPL runs incredibly fast, or at variable speeds.
1- You need the fast CPU fix from Papyrus (for CPUs over about 1.3 GHz, but can be used as a no-CD patch on any speed machine).
2- Laptops have a feature that changes the clock rate of the CPU to match what it thinks you are doing. "SpeedStep" needs to be set to maximum performance.
3- Some CPUs now have power saving features that need to be switched off, like AMD's "Cool N Quiet"

Can I race GPL with a laptop?
1- Probably on newer ones, but video card and Directx compatibility issues might cause problems, especially with older laptops.
2- In the BIOS, disable the speedstep feature.
3- In the BIOS, fully disable all power managment
4- Someone devised this solution: “The final solution was to write a simple C program containing an endless loop, run that program, set the priority to 'Low' and then run GPL. (and don't forget to close the program after you ended GPL) The endless loop makes the CPU run fulltime, but the low priority means that it does not interfere with GPL.”
There are a couple of references to a "SpeedStep" feature, but when I run a search on my hard drive for it, nothing shows up. Where should I be looking for it?
Old 13 Sep 2004, 19:51 (Ref:1095569)   #33
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
You won't find it on the hard drive - its apparently in the BIOS (I've never owned a laptop, so I can't be sure). The BIOS settings are those you reach when the machine is booting up, usually by pressing delete or one of the'F' keys. You do need to be careful what you alter there though...... Once you 've made your alteration(s), you save it and then allow the laptop to finish booting.

If you've done the "all-in-one", you shouldn't need the cpu fix.
Old 13 Sep 2004, 19:55 (Ref:1095575)   #34
Fish_Flake
Veteran

Georgia
Do you know anything about the C program loop suggested at the bottom?
Old 13 Sep 2004, 20:02 (Ref:1095582)   #35
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Sadly not. I'll see if I can find out more for you......
Old 13 Sep 2004, 20:08 (Ref:1095589)   #36
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Not as much help as you'd like, but the best I can do.....

http://forum.rscnet.org/showthread.p...ght=speed+step
Old 13 Sep 2004, 21:04 (Ref:1095638)   #37
Fish_Flake
Veteran

Georgia
Well, as I alluded to earlier, I'm at a tech school. I'm sure I can stand at one end of my dorm hall and yell, "Does anyone know jack about computer programming?" and someone will stick their head out their door for a moment and help me out in that regard.
Old 13 Sep 2004, 23:42 (Ref:1095790)   #38
Fish_Flake
Veteran

Georgia
I've finally figured out my problem! All I had to do was change my power settings to disable all the battery-saving features (I'm always on AC power, anyway). Instead of running at only about 800 MHz, my processor is cranking it out at 1.6 GHz. I'm still a bit away from maximum output, but now GPL is running smooth and lovely!
Old 14 Sep 2004, 12:07 (Ref:1096236)   #39
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Excellent.
Old 27 Sep 2004, 09:35 (Ref:1108064)   #40
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well I've downloaded the patch and at least I can get to the opening screen but then the laptop just hangs.
Old 27 Sep 2004, 10:55 (Ref:1108131)   #41
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
OK, Pete, which patch - the "all-in-one"?

What spec is your laptop, i.e. cpu/ram/graphics?
Old 27 Sep 2004, 14:31 (Ref:1108358)   #42
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
oops.

Its a Presario 2100 that's about all I know. I'll have a look tonite.

The patch I downloaded was that one mentioned by you or Pirenzo earlier in this thread.

BTW. I've had the cd for years just never used it.
Old 27 Sep 2004, 15:06 (Ref:1108387)   #43
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Unfortunately, although I've heard of the make, it means nothing to me..... I just wanted to know how powerful your system is, really.
Old 27 Sep 2004, 15:20 (Ref:1108399)   #44
Fish_Flake
Veteran

Georgia
My laptop is a Presario 3000, and it has a maximum processor speed of 1.8 GHz (although it was advertised as being able to run at 2.1 or 2.2). Also, what kind of processor is in it?

Does anyone have the heart to donate $60 (American) so I can buy a wheel? I have analog steering and throttle/brake controls, but the layout of the buttons makes it virtually impossible to drive effectively in manual transmission.
Old 27 Sep 2004, 16:54 (Ref:1108504)   #45
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
So how do I find out what is fitted to my device? I can't find a list anywhere.
Old 27 Sep 2004, 17:28 (Ref:1108547)   #46
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Right, try this:- (assuming you're running Windows of some description)

Start menu -> settings -> control panel -> system -> general (tab) - this will tell you what OS (and version) you are running. It should also tell you what cpu you have how much memory (RAM) you have.

To check your graphics:-

Right-click on your desktop and click properties. The settings (tab) -> If you have a graphics card installed it should tell you here what it is - otherwise, click the advanced button and it will almost certainly give you a separate extra tab on the next screen for your card.

Last edited by Aysedasi; 27 Sep 2004 at 17:28.
Old 27 Sep 2004, 18:50 (Ref:1108662)   #47
Fish_Flake
Veteran

Georgia
Perhaps you're having the same issue as I did, where your notebook has a power-saving feature you must disable. Right-click on desktop, click properties, then click on the screen saver tab. There should be a subcategory button named "Power." Click on that, and make sure the settings are on "Always On."
Old 27 Sep 2004, 19:35 (Ref:1108730)   #48
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Right, try this:- (assuming you're running Windows of some description)

Start menu -> settings -> control panel -> system -> general (tab) - this will tell you what OS (and version) you are running. It should also tell you what cpu you have how much memory (RAM) you have.
It says "Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002 Service Pack 2. Registered to me.

Mobile Intel Celeron CPU 2.00GHz 1.99 GHz, 192 MB of RAM.

Quote:
To check your graphics:-

Right-click on your desktop and click properties. The settings (tab) -> If you have a graphics card installed it should tell you here what it is - otherwise, click the advanced button and it will almost certainly give you a separate extra tab on the next screen for your card.

It says "video codecs"
Old 27 Sep 2004, 19:38 (Ref:1108736)   #49
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
OK, your machine is well able to run GPL, Peter. Looks like you have onboard graphics. Next thing to try is turning off any unnecessary programs. Certainly disable any proprietary firewall or AV - you don't need that offline. Do a control/alt/delete to see if there is anything else (obvious) running that could be interfering with GPL.
Old 27 Sep 2004, 19:41 (Ref:1108740)   #50
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
OK I'll try tomorrow. But what if I want to run it on-line?