Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Closed Thread

Old 11 Oct 2008, 10:25 (Ref:2309045)   #26
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm not impressed with how this thread was going. If any more of the personal attacks start thread will be locked up and perpetrators dealt with.

I've pulled some of the posts incase you haven't noticed.

Keep it nice.
Old 11 Oct 2008, 14:51 (Ref:2309157)   #27
TWK
Veteran

TWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I really fail to see how pointing out the theft of intellectual property (that's what this body of law is known as) is some kind of nefarious attack.

I see photographers at every race trying to eak out a living - spending their own money - scraping for customers. Then I read this stuff, cavalierly treating their work product like it's free for the taking.

If WMUcarguy actually has the photo pass at Laguna Seca he claims, he can expect we're going to have a little discusssion - and it won't just be with me.

And a mod, who one might suppose has some regard for the intellectual property of others, goes after the poor ******* defending his rights -and living? That's a pretty sad thing, in my opinion.
Old 11 Oct 2008, 15:42 (Ref:2309168)   #28
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
First, with hopes of not getting in trouble for it, the dispute is not over some poor shooters work! It is over the copy righted logos of Panoz and the ACO, R.I.F. He (WMUCarGuy) asked for ideas and pictures for the process of making a gift, and even stated he was considering using his own photo for it. So to imply any wrong doing or threatening the young man or his ability to get credentials at Laguna is OVER THE TOP!!!

L.P.
Old 11 Oct 2008, 16:28 (Ref:2309179)   #29
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugewally
Read the US copyright laws and get back to us.
Jesus wally , lighten up a bit mate !!!

WMU is only making a gift for his folks , not going into mass production for gods sake !!!

And ..... truth hurts ..... its attitudes like this that has the world in the way it is ..... law suits and crap like that .

Your question of does it make it right ? ..... yes , you should be able to do someting like that without having to worry about some twisted geek going copywrite on you . Within the law , its probably illegal ..... but to be honest , the law is an ass ..... or not ?

If you have never strayed from the law , you may remain pontificating upon your pulpit mate .

French law said that it was perfectly acceptable to test nuclear bombs in Polynesia ..... does that make it right ?

WMU ..... go make those cam covers mate , im sure your folks will be delighted with such a thoughtfull gift , instead of going to the shops and buying some mass produced piece of junk thats made in Bangladesh .

And your even keeping American jobs at home too .....

Last edited by The Badger; 11 Oct 2008 at 16:35.
Old 11 Oct 2008, 16:29 (Ref:2309180)   #30
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Ethics be damned...
Are you a lawyer or a cop ?

He who is without sin may cast the first stone mate !!! ..... That should be kept in mind , or not ?

Last edited by The Badger; 11 Oct 2008 at 16:36.
Old 11 Oct 2008, 16:33 (Ref:2309181)   #31
Hugewally
Veteran

United States
Largo, FL USA
Hugewally should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am neither and this isn't about me.
Old 11 Oct 2008, 16:33 (Ref:2309182)   #32
The Badger
Veteran

Anyway ..... WMU ..... how is this done . Is it machined out of stock material with cutting tools or are there more advanced methods nowadays like high pressure water jets ?

Sounds interesting ..... how detailed can you get , like level of detail . Obviously you do the graphics on a PC and then machine out the waste ?

Could you post a pic please ?

Last edited by The Badger; 11 Oct 2008 at 16:37.
Old 11 Oct 2008, 17:04 (Ref:2309191)   #33
WMUCarGuy
Veteran

United States
WMUCarGuy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger
Anyway ..... WMU ..... how is this done . Is it machined out of stock material with cutting tools or are there more advanced methods nowadays like high pressure water jets ?

Sounds interesting ..... how detailed can you get , like level of detail . Obviously you do the graphics on a PC and then machine out the waste ?

Could you post a pic please ?
It's VERY advanced. The cutting is done with a laser and it's EXTREMELY precise. If I were to put a photo that I took next weekend on the cover, it'd look EXACTLY like the photo.

We just program it on the computer, which takes like 3 minutes and the laser will cut out the design in like 3-5 minutes. It's amazing t watch as you can take something with nothing on it and have a beautiful design in just a few minutes.
Old 11 Oct 2008, 17:16 (Ref:2309198)   #34
hemicuda
Rookie

Portugal
Pennsylvania, United states
hemicuda should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

For those considering uisng an image from the ALMS you need to consider the following. The series has those photos but they come with strings. They are allowed to be used for some purposes but not all. The author of those images still has rights and can easily chose to exercise those rights when he feels that his images are being used without permission. Any images from the ALMS prior to 2004 have even bigger strings attached to them. The original poster WMUCARGUY has over the years shown an absolute lack of respect for intellecual property, especially GM intellectual property in the form of hi-res images, so much so that it was at one time given over to the lawyers at GM. If he is so interested in getting ALMS images, is such a huge ALMS fan, my advice would be to buy a ticket, attend a race, support the series that he is such a huge fan of, and use his own images.
Old 11 Oct 2008, 21:11 (Ref:2309330)   #35
WMUCarGuy
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemicuda
For those considering uisng an image from the ALMS you need to consider the following. The series has those photos but they come with strings. They are allowed to be used for some purposes but not all. The author of those images still has rights and can easily chose to exercise those rights when he feels that his images are being used without permission. Any images from the ALMS prior to 2004 have even bigger strings attached to them. The original poster WMUCARGUY has over the years shown an absolute lack of respect for intellecual property, especially GM intellectual property in the form of hi-res images, so much so that it was at one time given over to the lawyers at GM. If he is so interested in getting ALMS images, is such a huge ALMS fan, my advice would be to buy a ticket, attend a race, support the series that he is such a huge fan of, and use his own images.
It's been stated several times in this thread already that I likely will do just that...
Old 11 Oct 2008, 21:25 (Ref:2309341)   #36
Hugewally
Veteran

United States
Largo, FL USA
Hugewally should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Of course you probably already know that photos taken at ALMS events, whether credentialed or fan also have limitations on what you can legally do with them.
Old 11 Oct 2008, 22:04 (Ref:2309360)   #37
WMUCarGuy
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Of course you probably already know that photos taken at ALMS events, whether credentialed or fan also have limitations on what you can legally do with them.
Don't try to tell me what I can and cannot do with my own photographs...
Old 11 Oct 2008, 23:21 (Ref:2309414)   #38
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMUCarGuy
http://www.americanlemans.com/assets...20SERVICES.pdf

Quote:
American Le Mans Series retains (or otherwise has
the right to) all broadcast, cable, video and intellectual
property rights emanating or derived from its events,
including without limitation images, audio, Internet
content, streaming video or other mediums whether
now or hereafter created (Series Property).
Credentials for on-site American Le Mans Series
coverage by accredited news organizations, teams,
sponsors, manufacturers or other third parties are
issued by the IMSA in conjunction with Promoters
sanctioned by IMSA and working with the Series. Media
credentials are issued only to personnel on assignment
from recognized motorsports or legitimate news outlets.
Any rebroadcast, reproduction or otherwise any use of
American Le Mans Series property, including but not
limited to, filmed, videotaped, audio or Internet related
material(s) gathered on-site, is prohibited without the
express written permission of the American Le Mans Series in each instance. Unless otherwise agreed
in writing, all rights in and to Series Property shall
remain the property of the American Le Mans Series.
FWIW...
Old 11 Oct 2008, 23:57 (Ref:2309429)   #39
The Badger
Veteran

Fair dues ..... thats a bit on the heavey side , bloody cheek !!!

I would love someone to try and tell me what I can and cant do with my pics ..... the'd be pulling them for weeks , from a place that the sun dont shine .
Old 11 Oct 2008, 23:59 (Ref:2309431)   #40
WMUCarGuy
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWK
I really fail to see how pointing out the theft of intellectual property (that's what this body of law is known as) is some kind of nefarious attack.

I see photographers at every race trying to eak out a living - spending their own money - scraping for customers. Then I read this stuff, cavalierly treating their work product like it's free for the taking.

If WMUcarguy actually has the photo pass at Laguna Seca he claims, he can expect we're going to have a little discussion - and it won't just be with me.

And a mod, who one might suppose has some regard for the intellectual property of others, goes after the poor ******* defending his rights -and living? That's a pretty sad thing, in my opinion.
Jesus Christ guys...

I'm not stealing someone else's photo for this. I'm using my own photos, of which I'm spending my own money to attend the race, and I'm simply using my photos to create a gift for my dad. Perhaps the images I take might technically be the intellectual property of the ALMS, but people use photos they take at races for all kinds of things and no one ever gets crap for it. And I am actually covering the race, I haven't just somehow tricked them into giving me credentials.

Last edited by WMUCarGuy; 12 Oct 2008 at 00:02.
Old 12 Oct 2008, 00:03 (Ref:2309437)   #41
The Badger
Veteran

Just do it WMU ..... dont listen to the harpers mate . They probably spoil partys too !!!
Old 12 Oct 2008, 00:05 (Ref:2309438)   #42
Aslak Vind
Veteran

Denmark
Copenhagen
Aslak Vind should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger
Just do it WMU ..... dont listen to the harpers mate . They probably spoil partys too !!!
Yeah, do it for your father. I am sure he will appreciate it, mate
Old 12 Oct 2008, 00:30 (Ref:2309456)   #43
WMUCarGuy
Veteran

United States
I may not even use a photograph. I might add the track maps of each of the tracks my dad and I attended races at together.
Old 12 Oct 2008, 00:33 (Ref:2309457)   #44
Aslak Vind
Veteran

Denmark
Copenhagen
Aslak Vind should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Think of, how proud your old man will get!
Old 12 Oct 2008, 00:42 (Ref:2309462)   #45
1969MGCGTdriver
Racer

United States
Orlando, FL, USA
1969MGCGTdriver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
my god!! a week without a race and everybody gets a case of swollen vagina$?? Cut the guy some slack he's making a present not a f***ing profit. Just because something is a law does not make it right.
Old 12 Oct 2008, 01:05 (Ref:2309466)   #46
The Badger
Veteran

Well said
Old 12 Oct 2008, 03:25 (Ref:2309519)   #47
hemicuda
Rookie

Portugal
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1969MGCGTdriver
my god!! a week without a race and everybody gets a case of swollen vagina$?? Cut the guy some slack he's making a present not a f***ing profit. Just because something is a law does not make it right.
Yeah that is of course the general attitude, but see there is a small problem with your logic. As I mentioned before, WMUCARGUY has shown a complete lack of respect for intellectual property. He has posted hi-res images, especially Corvette Racing images, that didn't belong to him to start with and has a cavalier attitude about just taking what he needs without first asking permission. He has taken content from places like DSC without permission. He has a long track record that exibits a complete lack of respect for such things so when he chooses to post things like this he is going to be called on them. The reason that he is called on them is because in its purest form it is nothing more than stealing. Perhaps you don't see it as such but let me put it to you in this way. You invest maybe 30 or 40 grand in photo gear, you spend thousands of dollars to go cover events, that includes car rental, crappy motels and any of the other things in between, you bust your ass for days on end working at these events to have someone just take what you invested large sums of money to do and in many instances puts food on the table, so that someone can just come along and take without regard? It's perfectly ok to screw with someone elses livelyhood, as long as it doesn't affect you. Those copyright laws exist for a reason, so next time, perhaps if you are so generous with other peoples money, how about you opening up your pockets with some freebies. best thing that WMUCARGUY can do is keep his mouth shut, take whatever images he needs and just stop bragging about it.
Old 12 Oct 2008, 03:40 (Ref:2309527)   #48
hemicuda
Rookie

Portugal
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMUCarGuy

Rather ironic that you would make such a statement, it was ok for you to take the GM Corvette Racing images without permission and post them without permission, I guess you have the right to do whatever you want with someone elses images. Some of those images were mine, I don't recall you asking me for permission, either in writing or in person. I don't recall you paying my way to any races. I don't recall you buying my plane ticket to any events. I don't recall you buying me any camera gear. I don't recall you paying my hotel stay at any of the events. I don't recall you paying my insurance for my gear. I don't recall any check from you in the mail for images or anything. So what gave you the right to take my images and do with them as you pleased? Care to explain your logic on this one?
Old 12 Oct 2008, 03:41 (Ref:2309530)   #49
WMUCarGuy
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemicuda
Yeah that is of course the general attitude, but see there is a small problem with your logic. As I mentioned before, WMUCARGUY has shown a complete lack of respect for intellectual property. He has posted hi-res images, especially Corvette Racing images, that didn't belong to him to start with and has a cavalier attitude about just taking what he needs without first asking permission. He has taken content from places like DSC without permission. He has a long track record that exibits a complete lack of respect for such things so when he chooses to post things like this he is going to be called on them. The reason that he is called on them is because in its purest form it is nothing more than stealing. Perhaps you don't see it as such but let me put it to you in this way. You invest maybe 30 or 40 grand in photo gear, you spend thousands of dollars to go cover events, that includes car rental, crappy motels and any of the other things in between, you bust your ass for days on end working at these events to have someone just take what you invested large sums of money to do and in many instances puts food on the table, so that someone can just come along and take without regard? It's perfectly ok to screw with someone elses livelyhood, as long as it doesn't affect you. Those copyright laws exist for a reason, so next time, perhaps if you are so generous with other peoples money, how about you opening up your pockets with some freebies. best thing that WMUCARGUY can do is keep his mouth shut, take whatever images he needs and just stop bragging about it.
I won't argue with you on the counts of the Corvette pics (and for the record, no lawyers were involved...) or the DSC thing, and I do feel bad for having done those. But to claim I'm bragging about all of this is just crazy. I was simply sharing a cool idea I had with all of you who I figured would find it to be a cool and thoughtful idea. I honestly don't think me making 1 ALMS related valve cover will have much effect the professional photographers' livelihoods. And I've already stated several times that I've requested permission to use any logos that might be involved and that I am actually photographing the weekend for a website.

Last edited by WMUCarGuy; 12 Oct 2008 at 03:47.
Old 12 Oct 2008, 03:49 (Ref:2309535)   #50
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Bob Riebe User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Does that make it right?
I had no problems.
If the IMSA has become that paranoid that some one's not for profit creation will cause them grief, then don't spew forth and rhetorical bs about for the fans.
I has then become for their own personal little kingdom.
Closed Thread