Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 4 Aug 2004, 01:41 (Ref:1055731)   #26
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Flatspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Money is certainly an issue and so is the fact that he Memo was already committed to another ride. A lesser ride but a ride nonetheless.
Old 4 Aug 2004, 01:59 (Ref:1055733)   #27
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Memo will do well in SWC where hitting things is actually part of the fun, and he is a very good driver in a field like that as he has proved in the only two races he's run so far. Memo has no money and is both too old and too slow for open wheel racing, but he will be excellent in SWC.

Guy Smith has shown excellent speed and the ability to learn a new car and work with a team; and apparently he has money to bring. Whether you like it or not, Memo Gidley has never won Le Mans nor ever been invited to race there, and that does indeed make a very good addition to any racing resume.

I like Memo and wish him well, but Guy Smith will be a much better driver for Rocketsports Racing.
Old 4 Aug 2004, 05:47 (Ref:1055778)   #28
evo
Veteran

Canada
Medicine Hat
evo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm going to have to disagree. Guy Smith hasn't driven an open wheel car since 1999, when he finished 9th. Memo, on the other hand, has a lot of experience in the Champ Car and has been very close to winning races on a number of occassions. So someone should put up some sponsorship money so this guy can run full time.

BTW, Guy Smith is only 5 years younger than Memo.

Last edited by evo; 4 Aug 2004 at 05:48.
Old 4 Aug 2004, 11:11 (Ref:1056014)   #29
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Time will tell who is right; but I continue to maintain that if Memo Gidley was the next Senna, someone would be paying him to drive an open wheel car. He has had many chances and according to the only people who count -- the people who do the hiring -- he has not made the grade.

Memo is in a series where he will do well, and his enormous likeability will be right at home there too. Don't you think a real fan of Mr. Gidley would be happy that he has found success and not be pointing out to him why he ought to be unhappy?

And in racing, "only" five years younger is an eternity. There are many professions you can't get into if you are an age that in other professions would be 'young' -- opera singer, gymnast, the NHL, ballet, and open wheel racing. There are some who believe that the real advantage Senna had over Prost in their final year of racing together was the five year difference in their ages. Its something to think about.
Old 4 Aug 2004, 11:36 (Ref:1056034)   #30
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Liz
Memo will do well in SWC where hitting things is actually part of the fun, and he is a very good driver in a field like that as he has proved in the only two races he's run so far. Memo has no money and is both too old and too slow for open wheel racing, but he will be excellent in SWC.

Guy Smith has shown excellent speed and the ability to learn a new car and work with a team; and apparently he has money to bring. Whether you like it or not, Memo Gidley has never won Le Mans nor ever been invited to race there, and that does indeed make a very good addition to any racing resume.

I like Memo and wish him well, but Guy Smith will be a much better driver for Rocketsports Racing.
If Guy has got the ride purely by bringing money, it's a travesty. Paul Gentilozzi should put the championship and the team first by covering a few million dollars out of his massive personal fortune.

Your disrespect for Memo, and Touring Car racing in general, is pretty baffling. He's a lot younger than Vasser for example, and guys like Prost and Mansell didn't have much more F1 experience at Memo's current age, and Damon Hill was still in F3000.

No one has hired Memo for a full season in CART because they all need pay-drivers. Newman-Haas are the only team with funded rides this year, and they understandably went for drivers with designs on F1. Memo isn't like that, he's put everything into racing in CART, in his homeland.

As for your Senna/Prost example, surely that implies that Memo is the better bet as he's 5 years older? And it doesn't explain the previous year.
Old 4 Aug 2004, 11:54 (Ref:1056049)   #31
Liz
Veteran

I do NOT disrespect Memo OR touring cars! I love touring car racing and was very impressed by Memo's charge from the rear of the grid to midpack and winning both hard charger and hole shot awards in both his races. Anyone who actually knows me knows I am currently focusing all my attention on the Speed World Challenge and what they are doing to rehabilitate the idea of "stock car racing" the way my daddy did it.

And no, I do not think the older you are in racing, the better you are. I think I actually said it was generally accepted that the reverse is true.
Old 4 Aug 2004, 12:19 (Ref:1056078)   #32
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Guy will have sponsorship, but he's worked hard to find it.

If he had big money behind him he'd have been in CART years ago.

Guy and Memo should both be in Champ Cars I believe.
Old 4 Aug 2004, 18:11 (Ref:1056381)   #33
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
If drivers who "hit things" were banned from open wheel racing, how many would be left? .

There are a number of drivers out there - Memo included - who have the goods but get no drive as now more than ever OWRS requires a driver bring his own $$.

Last edited by JohnSSC; 4 Aug 2004 at 18:13.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 4 Aug 2004, 18:21 (Ref:1056387)   #34
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
ChampCar's website is listing Guy Smith as the driver of the 17 car, they've got a short bio on the guy, but as of yet nothing on the "SpottersGuide" page. I'm curious as to who the sponsors will be...
Old 5 Aug 2004, 17:34 (Ref:1057247)   #35
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Guy Smith: "I didn't have to bring any money. Paul follows sportscars and kept an eye out for me. He said he didn't want to repeat the mistake of taking a pay driver like Philippe."

Gentilozzi: "This isn't a knock on Memo - he did a great job for us. But he has (touring car) conflicts and I needed somebody for the remainder of the year."
Old 5 Aug 2004, 18:43 (Ref:1057315)   #36
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Guy's quote is interesting.
Proves that hindsight is 20/20.
Old 6 Aug 2004, 05:21 (Ref:1057819)   #37
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
Guy has been added to the spotters guide , sort of , a plain helmet and plain car can be seen devoid of sponsors , one assumes that will be fixed after the first day of practice.
Old 7 Aug 2004, 02:28 (Ref:1058969)   #38
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
interesting to see the car has no sponsors on it at all , seems lease Plan decided not to hang around afterall

http://www.champcarworldseries.com/C...0806P_0041.jpg
Old 7 Aug 2004, 07:17 (Ref:1059080)   #39
evo
Veteran

Canada
Medicine Hat
evo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
LeasePlan was dependent on Phillipe being in the seat.
Old 7 Aug 2004, 11:48 (Ref:1059218)   #40
Kicking-back
Veteran

Well, there were those on here who called for Paul to dip into his own pocket - it seems that's what he's done.
Old 7 Aug 2004, 12:24 (Ref:1059260)   #41
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm glad that he has chosen a driver on talent alone, although it remains to be seen whether Guy is the right man.
Old 7 Aug 2004, 15:03 (Ref:1059369)   #42
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Maybe but why sign till the end of the season when he hasn't even started a race yet. He is improven.
Old 7 Aug 2004, 22:53 (Ref:1059714)   #43
Kicking-back
Veteran

Why sign him till the end of the season?

It's called giving him time, and stability.