Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 2 May 2008, 20:23 (Ref:2192849)   #26
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
With Peugeot entering prototype racing the level of competition has increased and it's clear the current Audi isn't up to the Peugeot pure on speed. Of course it's endurance racing so speed isn't everything. It would not surprise me Audi will win Le Mans.

The last decade Audi had a big commitment to prototype endurance racing and if they leave the sport I will thank them for these years (despite their dominance). But if they leave in 2009 or 2010 it's not good publicity for them. People will say: "They leave because they can't win anymore. Audi are losers". So for publicity reasons they can't quit in the next few years. So if they want to leave the sport in a positive way they have to build a new, better car and win races.

After the R8 spyder, R10 diesel spyder it's time for a coupe. I think the switch to a coupe will generate extra publicity.

In 2010 DTM will switch to new technical rules. According several rumours DTM will use a single make chassis. Manufacturers only supply engines en bodies. Because there's less development needed more resources (money, people) are available for a new LMP1.
Old 2 May 2008, 20:26 (Ref:2192850)   #27
supermario21
Racer

supermario21 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsupermario21 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Is this any different than what Porsche did in 98 redesigning a 2 year old car in order to keep up with Toyotas and Mercedes, moving from the GT1 Evo to the GT1 98. I think this is Audi wanting to keep the competition as good as possible, and not whimping out. When the R10 started racing its only remote competition was the Pescarolo. Now with all the increased competition, Audi needs to modify their car. Of course Audi could also switch to Bio-Diesel for 09 with a new car, even when Audi was winning there were rumors of Bio Diesel for 09.
Old 2 May 2008, 20:26 (Ref:2192851)   #28
mattcat
Veteran

United States
West Palm Beach, FL
mattcat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The R15 rendering looks awesome. It is reminiscent of the Toyota GT-One or the Bentley Speed 8. I love the lines of the car rear of the cockpit. Can you imagine the R15, the Peugeot 908, the Charouz Lola and the Epsilon Eskudai racing down the Mulsanne with one another. That would be a sight to behold!
Old 2 May 2008, 20:35 (Ref:2192856)   #29
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PorscheFanNo1
I hope thats true, a GT1 R8 and Porsche in P1 would be awesome.
I do not think we will see Porsche in P-1. It does not make much fiscal sense in their current motorsport program with the business model they use IMO of course.

L.P.
Old 2 May 2008, 20:36 (Ref:2192858)   #30
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm quite intrigued as to what exactly are the technical limitations of the chassis. Is it aerodynamic? weight balance? Hopefully if they retire the R10 then they will give us some juice too
Old 2 May 2008, 22:14 (Ref:2192906)   #31
LeMans.pt
Veteran

Portugal
London, UK
LeMans.pt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG
Where the frack does that come from?! The only thing I have seen quoted from Dr Wolfgang Ullrich is that the car is now three years old and does not have the latitude left in its design to be competitive with the Peugeot Coupe and if they wish to be competitive they need a new design. Where have you seen anything saying they would quit?!

L.P.
hum.... "frack"??!!!! A Galactica fan....
Old 2 May 2008, 22:21 (Ref:2192911)   #32
PorscheFanNo1
Veteran

Sweden
Winner's Circle
PorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I do not think we will see Porsche in P-1. It does not make much fiscal sense in their current motorsport program with the business model they use IMO of course.

L.P.
So f what? I never said anything about that, only that it would be awesome...
Old 2 May 2008, 22:32 (Ref:2192916)   #33
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMans.pt
hum.... "frack"??!!!! A Galactica fan....
Yep.

L.P.
Old 2 May 2008, 22:59 (Ref:2192925)   #34
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by PorscheFanNo1
So f what? I never said anything about that, only that it would be awesome...
Hmm, seemed like an affirmation to me! In order for it to be awesome, it has to occur, No?

L.P.
Old 3 May 2008, 05:54 (Ref:2193016)   #35
cptkablamo
Veteran

Australia
cptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Perhaps there will be a re-evaluation of their sportscar program image...afterall, Peugeot seem to be winning the PR/popularity war at the moment. Audi still haven't lost a major race to Peugeot (although there have only been 2).
Maybe they will return with a coupe and an image that is a little different to see if they can liven up their sportscar experience...
Old 3 May 2008, 06:10 (Ref:2193019)   #36
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm not quite sure where the opinion of Audi whimping out, calling it quits or changing their image is coming from. They don't think they can develop the R10 quite enough so they are building a new one. It sounds to me like the acceptance of a challenge - I think the Peugeot vs Audi battle is going up a level in 2009.

I'd love to see other manufacturers join them in P1 next year, though. Porsche and Acura have shown they have impressive P2s, now they need to raise their game too and work on taking the fight to Audi and Peugeot. Just a shame the general viewpoint from the petrol runners is the diesels are still untouchable.

I still think LM'08 belongs to Audi, though.
Old 3 May 2008, 07:32 (Ref:2193044)   #37
cptkablamo
Veteran

Australia
cptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think any image thing comes from not running a coupe.
I wouldn't see what could be bad about running a semi-works car with say Goh or Arena, Champion and Joest while building a new car for 2010 and keep that cycle going...
Hopefully the Charouz car will perform well at Le Mans to redress the diesel vs. petrol debate...

Plus aren't Peugeot introducing something new (ie a diesel-hybrid) at some point (or they were rumoured to be)
Old 3 May 2008, 09:53 (Ref:2193105)   #38
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
dj4monie is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Me also. A little more road going related in the looks. As IMO LMPEVO would look like. But the R-10/R-15 coupe would work also.

L.P.
Both renderings look good to me, I would welcome an Audi Coupe, even if there was ONE already, twice...

They have to incorporate the LED eyebrows the new A4 and R8 have for sure though!

I thought that was one of the coolest OEM design cues to come out in awhile that wasn't a re-invention of something 20-30 years ago...
Old 3 May 2008, 11:30 (Ref:2193136)   #39
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yup those P1 Coupes are starting to look more and more like

Grand AM DPs
Old 3 May 2008, 11:34 (Ref:2193141)   #40
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
No they do not .
Old 3 May 2008, 12:53 (Ref:2193165)   #41
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Oops.........wrong thread.
Old 3 May 2008, 15:33 (Ref:2193242)   #42
RaiseYourFist
Veteran

United States
USA
RaiseYourFist has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I read somewhere that they might be making 2 open top cars - one for Le Mans and LMS and one for the twistier ALMS tracks. Dunno why they said that they are making them open top though...
Old 3 May 2008, 15:50 (Ref:2193252)   #43
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
That is, I believe, a bit of a b*stardization of what was actually said. I forget whether it was Dr. Ulrich or someone else in the team, but there was a quote that if they could have, budget-wise (I believe that was the restriction) they would have designed 3 seperate 'R10s', one each for ALMS, LMS and LM. I don't think it was necessarily a manifesto for what they plan to do now (though frankly high and low-downforce bodywork a la Porsche would make sense).
Old 3 May 2008, 16:02 (Ref:2193256)   #44
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmk
That is, I believe, a bit of a b*stardization of what was actually said. I forget whether it was Dr. Ulrich or someone else in the team, but there was a quote that if they could have, budget-wise (I believe that was the restriction) they would have designed 3 seperate 'R10s', one each for ALMS, LMS and LM. I don't think it was necessarily a manifesto for what they plan to do now (though frankly high and low-downforce bodywork a la Porsche would make sense).
How many R10s are there? more then two. Eight different R10s comes to mind.

and How many different aero body panels are there? One set for low downforce tracks, one set for high downforce tracks and one set for short street circuits. ALL three body combination are painted the same and real close in design. Most ppl wont even see the difference.
Old 3 May 2008, 16:15 (Ref:2193272)   #45
ThePenguin
Veteran

United States
United States
ThePenguin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU N EGL
How many R10s are there? more then two. Eight different R10s comes to mind. .
I think that there have been nine chassis made.
Old 3 May 2008, 16:54 (Ref:2193281)   #46
Dario911
Veteran

Italy
Somewhere in the world...
Dario911 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's uncorrect say that Audi R10 is worst than Peugeot 908HDi. You must consider the Audi debuted in 2006, but it's project was defined in 2005. In their first comparison, Audi has won in Le Mans, in 2007. For Peugeot was its first year, while for Audi was the second win. So, in 2 year things change in a significant way, in modern Sport cars and Prototypes.
While the Audi was at the highest point, Peugeot was just beginning. Now, obviously, Audi is on the "sunset boulevard", while Peugeot is at its full.
No way to compare in correctly this two cars.
This means LMP1 are now like the F1: they became old in only 18-24 months. So, the costs are raising!

Last edited by Dario911; 3 May 2008 at 16:56.
Le Mans, 23/06/2013, 15:00, Allan we miss you!
Porsche 1°-2° in GTE-Pro class with 991 GT3 RSR
Porsche 1st. place in GTE-Am class with 997 GT3 RSR
Old 3 May 2008, 17:27 (Ref:2193292)   #47
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dario911
It's uncorrect say that Audi R10 is worst than Peugeot 908HDi.
Perhaps more succinctly, the Audi R10 is slower than the Peugeot. Given it's job is to be faster and win races, it is becoming a "worst" (sic!) tool for the job, over Peugeot's car.

Quote:
This means LMP1 are now like the F1: they became old in only 18-24 months. So, the costs are raising!
Actually, 36 months, which I think is a reasonable time period.
Old 3 May 2008, 18:03 (Ref:2193307)   #48
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Where is that announcement? 24 hours seem to be up on my clock.
Old 3 May 2008, 18:09 (Ref:2193309)   #49
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
minimangler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For sure, Peugeot have smashed Audi in design- this secret suspension system is working...
Old 3 May 2008, 18:28 (Ref:2193321)   #50
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund
Where is that announcement? 24 hours seem to be up on my clock.
Proverbial; smoke up an orifice?!

L.P.