Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 29 Aug 2006, 19:05 (Ref:1696969)   #26
Rex Judicata
Veteran

United States
Melbourne and Fort Lauderdale
Rex Judicata User is flirting with disqualificationRex Judicata User is flirting with disqualificationRex Judicata User is flirting with disqualification
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingguest
20 races is too much for the drivers and mechanics, I think. I would choose for a calendar with 16 races, with another 4 or 5 non-championship races as well. That would be nice. Non-championship were always special.
It's been a while since we had non-championship races. Today, they could serve as full system testing. On a different note, I have some concern about the political issues that could surround Turkey and perhaps two other venues. Many claim we are in World War III - perhaps so - perhaps not. But the issues raised in Turkey and the "terrorist" events there and elsewhere allow us to create some very disturbing scenarios.
Old 29 Aug 2006, 19:21 (Ref:1696988)   #27
Sharky
Veteran

Sharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Perhaps if there was less testing we could have more racing.

I know that what I am about to ask is highly omprobable and I should be hit in my head with a brik for even asking but, could we someday, perhap, see an F1 race at the old Nürburgring?
Old 29 Aug 2006, 19:25 (Ref:1696993)   #28
Rex Judicata
Veteran

United States
Rex Judicata User is flirting with disqualificationRex Judicata User is flirting with disqualificationRex Judicata User is flirting with disqualification
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky
Perhaps if there was less testing we could have more racing.

I know that what I am about to ask is highly omprobable and I should be hit in my head with a brik for even asking but, could we someday, perhap, see an F1 race at the old Nürburgring?
Sharky: It's on my list of places. In another thread, most seem to think today's F1 cars are too fast for the Ring. I think it's up to the drivers. In all candor, I doubt we will ever see F1 at the ring again.
Old 29 Aug 2006, 19:28 (Ref:1697001)   #29
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
An F1 car is totally unsuitable for Nurburgring.

The cars could be driven on there certainly. However, there are many safety issues to be taken into account. The track cannot be marshalled properly for an F1 event for a kickoff. And the emergency access is not up to standard.

Which, given the potential for some grizzly incidents at that track, is not really good enough.

Also, as regards TV coverage (a big issue), it'd probably be quite pants. Though I'm not sure.
Old 29 Aug 2006, 19:31 (Ref:1697004)   #30
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
The diesel Transit vans that go round there might cause a problem for the front runners too
Old 29 Aug 2006, 19:36 (Ref:1697012)   #31
Rex Judicata
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowlesy
<snip> The track cannot be marshalled properly for an F1 event for a kickoff. And the emergency access is not up to standard.

Also, as regards TV coverage (a big issue), it'd probably be quite pants. Though I'm not sure.
I like your analysis here. We have no other 15 mile tracks and I cannot imagine how they would Marshall the old Ring. Emergency access would probably be limited to helicopter, but there are many trees that would complicate that access.

TV coverage - could be tough - how do you cover a 15 mile circuit? cameras on wires? choppers? some alternative technology?

As I'm writing this, I think of the Targa Florio and the Carerra Panamerica. Both simply impossible today.
Old 29 Aug 2006, 19:37 (Ref:1697013)   #32
Rex Judicata
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V
The diesel Transit vans that go round there might cause a problem for the front runners too
Mobile chicanes! Better than Super Aguri!
Old 29 Aug 2006, 21:36 (Ref:1697120)   #33
rblanshard
Racer

United States
Dallas, TX
rblanshard should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrblanshard should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I get the feeling no one likes Fuji. My only exposure to it is GT4 and various other video games. It looks like a fun track with Mt. Fuji in the background. Besides, I bet Bernie and the FIA needed to do something to keep Toyota in F1. Take the race away from Honda/Suzuka and give it to Toyota/Fuji.

As for the others, Nurburg I could do without, but I'm sad to see Imola go. I couldn't be happier to have Spa back on the calendar. Le Mans and Spa are the two European tracks where I would love to see a race
Old 29 Aug 2006, 22:34 (Ref:1697149)   #34
Rex Judicata
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by rblanshard
I get the feeling no one likes Fuji. My only exposure to it is GT4 and various other video games. It looks like a fun track with Mt. Fuji in the background. Besides, I bet Bernie and the FIA needed to do something to keep Toyota in F1. Take the race away from Honda/Suzuka and give it to Toyota/Fuji.

As for the others, Nurburg I could do without, but I'm sad to see Imola go. I couldn't be happier to have Spa back on the calendar. Le Mans and Spa are the two European tracks where I would love to see a race
Having Mt. Fuji in the background is good. My favorite sushi restaurant has a large mural of Mt. Fuji on the wall. Unfortunately, having Mt. Fuji in the background does nothing for the track, although the mural in the restaurant is a nice touch. Domo.
Old 29 Aug 2006, 23:19 (Ref:1697175)   #35
Sharky
Veteran

Sharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Judicata
TV coverage - could be tough - how do you cover a 15 mile circuit? cameras on wires? choppers? some alternative technology?
More reliance on in-car cameras. Just like the one knowlesy posted on the "online video clips" thread........superb..... I know we won't see F1 racing there again, but I'd be lying if I said that I don't think about it from time to time.
Old 30 Aug 2006, 09:39 (Ref:1697418)   #36
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns17375.html

Looks like this is more of a provisional provisional calendar, and that Suzuka and Imola could still be on the calendar anyway
Old 30 Aug 2006, 10:12 (Ref:1697445)   #37
Splatz the Cow
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Splatz the Cow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSplatz the Cow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here's another strange thing about the late start to the season: the Australian Open tennis normally finishes just before the F1 GP so tourists could stay on after the Grand Slam for the F1 race. Now that the race has been pushed back that will not be possible. The tennis tournament has already fixed its date for 2007 and it is more or less unchanged from last year, so the GP has been pushed back too far and Melbourne will suffer.
Old 30 Aug 2006, 15:25 (Ref:1697686)   #38
Rex Judicata
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab
http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns17375.html

Looks like this is more of a provisional provisional calendar, and that Suzuka and Imola could still be on the calendar anyway
I saw that this morning too. Very interesting. Seems there may be life in the old dogs yet.
Old 30 Aug 2006, 15:27 (Ref:1697690)   #39
Rex Judicata
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky
More reliance on in-car cameras. Just like the one knowlesy posted on the "online video clips" thread........superb..... I know we won't see F1 racing there again, but I'd be lying if I said that I don't think about it from time to time.
Kapow! Of course! You are brilliant! It will be be the use of in-car cameras, but not in the traditional sense. It will be interactive, user-controlled use of the in-car cameras. In that way, you could cover the Mille Miglia!

P.S. And perhaps interactive use of a technology similar to Google Earth.

Last edited by Rex Judicata; 30 Aug 2006 at 15:30.
Old 30 Aug 2006, 16:44 (Ref:1697751)   #40
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Judicata

P.S. And perhaps interactive use of a technology similar to Google Earth.
According to Google Earth,many of the modern F1 tracks don't actually exist yet!
Old 30 Aug 2006, 17:01 (Ref:1697767)   #41
Sharky
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyn bott
According to Google Earth,many of the modern F1 tracks don't actually exist yet!
Actually, Google earth can be wonderful at times. For example, the original Hockeinheim still exist there
Old 30 Aug 2006, 17:17 (Ref:1697779)   #42
Rex Judicata
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by martyn bott
Mr. Peabody: "Sherman, set the wayback machine to 1995!"
Old 30 Aug 2006, 17:24 (Ref:1697787)   #43
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Old 30 Aug 2006, 17:32 (Ref:1697794)   #44
Rex Judicata
Veteran

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi
Please help me, I can't stop laughing!
Old 30 Aug 2006, 20:16 (Ref:1697981)   #45
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
The Nurburgring has a lot more barriers than it did in 1976. Also, Le Mans has good tv coverage, and it's twice as long a just about any other circuit besides the Nordshleife. Finally, if they can marshall a 24-hour race with over 200 cars at that track, I don't see how a 90-minute F1 GP could be a problem.
Old 30 Aug 2006, 20:52 (Ref:1698017)   #46
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Interesting item.

http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=37168
Old 30 Aug 2006, 21:28 (Ref:1698058)   #47
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Looks like they were reading this trhead...
Old 31 Aug 2006, 20:12 (Ref:1698801)   #48
formula1fan
Racer

England
China Clay Country, Cornwall
formula1fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monster
I actually forgot that Suzuka had been given the chop.

So we lose 1 great track (Suzuka) , but gain another back (Spa), lose 2 average tracks (Imola & Nurburgring) and gain an awful one (Fuji).
hello! fuji is a great track, even though i have only seen it on Gran Turismo 4, which is a totally different universe
Old 31 Aug 2006, 20:13 (Ref:1698802)   #49
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Which Fuji track on GT4 are you referring to?

It has the wonderful old versions and the modern monstrosity.
Old 31 Aug 2006, 20:46 (Ref:1698827)   #50
marzF1rocks
Racer

England
Derbyshire
marzF1rocks has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
i reckon it would be great to have a shuffle round and introduce new circuits. Makes it more intreasting and challanging.