Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 8 Apr 2002, 00:16 (Ref:254483)   #26
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Or how abour a race in some identically prepared MB C-Classes, like in the early 90s with MB 190E class?? I think Schumacher, Nicki Lauda raced at some point in the that series?? And perhaps they can sell the cars afterwards to raise money for charity???

I think a TRUE IROC would have the drivers race a variety of cars/series/tracks--WRC, F3000, DTM, GrpN, simple go carts on a combination of ovals, road courses, enduros,etc... Every country would nominate 2 drivers for the series!!!
Now THAT would be interesting!!!

Last edited by kmchow; 8 Apr 2002 at 00:18.
Old 8 Apr 2002, 08:48 (Ref:254605)   #27
alesi95
Veteran

alesi95 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think a kart race similar to the ones you find at Bercy are more realistic than a one make supporter series.

Does anyone remember the Alfa 144 cup of 1988? I dont know much about it and I know it wasn't really a series f1 drivers took part in but it supported the series and people like Peter Collins Benetton team manager and Alex Nannini's wife took part
Old 11 Apr 2002, 11:20 (Ref:257143)   #28
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Haven't the team bosses been very hesitant of letting their drivers do some racing on the side ever since Manfred Winkelhock (Mosport, '85) and Stefan Bellof (Spa, '85) were killed in non-F-1 races?
Old 11 Apr 2002, 11:26 (Ref:257151)   #29
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Actually I remember that Schumacher was "asked" to act in a seat-belt promoting short movie, back there in 97-98 (by FIA, after Jerez) . He had to "crash" a car at about 15-20 km/h to prove the benefits of the seat-belts. Neither Ferrari or his lawyers allowed that to happen. Yes, I can understand them if they do not race in other series. (Actually Ferrari are very nervous every time Schumacher plays in a footbal match for example)
Old 11 Apr 2002, 11:35 (Ref:257164)   #30
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Interesting point about the football - there aren't many amateur sports that have a higher risk of leg and ankle injury. His opponents must be pretty well briefed to not lay into him - the slightest injury could cost millions upon millions of Euros. David Beckham is out for eight weeks from one rash challenge - four missed GPs would be the result for Schumacher of the same injury.
Old 11 Apr 2002, 12:30 (Ref:257211)   #31
alesi95
Veteran

alesi95 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Weren't there rumours that Vodafone wanted Schumacher and Beckman to swap postions for a publicity stunt?

But Ferrari were more cautionous of Schuey getting hurt than Beckham writing off a Ferrari.
Old 11 Apr 2002, 12:40 (Ref:257218)   #32
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!
I'd like the original idea about touring car race from makers involved in F1, a bit just like that Senna's race formerly mentioned (Nurburgring?).

I prefer it to karts for two reasons: 1) as mentioned, some of them have much more experience in karts (even private kart tracks), 2) I prefer "proper" cars because kart driving is a bit as F1 driving, and I'd like a bit of variation (just like Clark in the old days).

I think it could be feasible is makers see it as a big marketing tool. If it happens, there is no way drivers can avoid doing it against makers request

I agree it is not probable currently, but I have the secret hope that one day a rival Formula series with money-muscle can do it (c:

Great topic!