Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 17 Mar 2004, 04:28 (Ref:907882)   #26
Cameron H
Rookie

Cameron H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One major oversite on AF's part is that there is NO TV package in Mexico for IRL. How is Tecate [spelling?] going to like that? They've just entered a series that has nearly no market contact for them. Whoops!

I have also heard, as of yesterday, that Rahal and Jourdain will stay with OWRS because that's where Gigante wants to be.

Cam

Last edited by Cameron H; 17 Mar 2004 at 04:29.
Old 17 Mar 2004, 07:04 (Ref:907917)   #27
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
after watching windtunnel on Speed, i am stunned at this news...a TV deal is in place with the IRL which can or maybe broadcast in Mexico- whereas according to AF Champcar has no set TV deal for anywhere. this really sucks
Old 17 Mar 2004, 07:20 (Ref:907928)   #28
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
.. but doesn't radically surprise, ultimately.
Old 17 Mar 2004, 10:53 (Ref:908052)   #29
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Is Adrian Fernandez running under the Super Aguri Fernandez Racing banner? I thought I read somewhere that his car would run as 'Fernandez Racing', plain and simple, while Matsuura ran under the SAFR moniker.
Old 17 Mar 2004, 10:58 (Ref:908054)   #30
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yeah, they will be two separate teams by the looks of it. Although they will probably share chassis, engines, setups etc.
Old 17 Mar 2004, 11:37 (Ref:908079)   #31
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Am I further right in thinking that Adrian will be in a Dallara while Matsuura is in a Panoz/G-Force?
Old 17 Mar 2004, 11:59 (Ref:908096)   #32
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
They will both be in the G-Force chassis.
Old 17 Mar 2004, 12:05 (Ref:908102)   #33
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Fernandez will be in a GeForce Honda, just like Matsuura.

More on the transition to the IndyCar series, from an interview with Fernandez (posted at the IndyRacing.com site);

Quote:
“Hopefully, the transition will not be as bad as I may think it will be. And hopefully we can get competitive straightaway. Obviously, I have to be smart and take it step by step. The whole process will be a learning process for everybody at the team, myself, the crew, everybody.”

Fernandez had a well to dip from to make his transition easier. He is co-owner of the No. 55 Panasonic ARTA Panoz G Force/Honda/Firestone driven by rookie Kosuke Matsuura. One of the team’s three chassis was used to construct Fernandez's entry for the Copper World Indy 200.

“Half of the job is done because we have another team there,” said Fernandez, who is partners with Aguri Suzuki in the Super Aguri Fernandez Racing team. “We will have a lot of help and support from them.

“A lot of the little things that you go through when you have a new car have already been sorted. For me, it’s just a matter of getting used to the engine power, to the car, all the little things you normally do in the first testing when you have everything new.

Last edited by rustyfan; 17 Mar 2004 at 12:06.
Old 17 Mar 2004, 16:54 (Ref:908315)   #34
Cameron H
Rookie

Cameron H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by gttouring
after watching windtunnel on Speed, i am stunned at this news...a TV deal is in place with the IRL which can or maybe broadcast in Mexico- whereas according to AF Champcar has no set TV deal for anywhere. this really sucks

OWRS races will be broadcast on Spike TV at 4:00 pm on Sundays, regardless of time zone.

Cam
Old 17 Mar 2004, 18:01 (Ref:908376)   #35
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yup this is true- good for them but spike tv?
i suppose some basic cable network is better than none, or a speed only fandango...but ooh and ouch, not one network believes in Champcars anymore either...i suppose the doom and gloom from last year may be rising again, is it possible for IRL to raise its game and be a real full on Racing series as we had before the split? or will ALMS take it on and nab OWRS dates when it falters- because it hasn't even started and it's [OWRS] wavering like a drunk sailor punched in the nose, and nobody is helping it stand
Old 17 Mar 2004, 22:14 (Ref:908677)   #36
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Cameron H
One major oversite on AF's part is that there is NO TV package in Mexico for IRL. How is Tecate [spelling?] going to like that? They've just entered a series that has nearly no market contact for them. Whoops!

I have also heard, as of yesterday, that Rahal and Jourdain will stay with OWRS because that's where Gigante wants to be.

Cam
From what I've read, the Tecate brand has maxed out, or flattened out, its sales in Mexico, and is looking for a bigger presence stateside.

As for a TV package, I'm quite sure that they get ABC, and probably ESPN to, the IRL channels, don't they? :confused:

Danica Patrick
Old 18 Mar 2004, 00:02 (Ref:908767)   #37
MLM
Veteran

MLM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In Mexico? I think (I could be wrong and if I am, someone please correct me) that TV Azteca did the TV telecasts. Now, whether they got the US feed with their commentators (in Spanish, of course ) or did their own camera, etc....,I do not know.
Old 20 Mar 2004, 11:00 (Ref:911864)   #38
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Adrian's ride...

It's....green. Very green.
Old 20 Mar 2004, 11:20 (Ref:911885)   #39
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Lookin' good
Old 20 Mar 2004, 14:50 (Ref:912033)   #40
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Flatspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Honda has as much area as Tecate on the car. Hmmm...wonder why? (Where's the sour grapes smiley? )

Last edited by Flatspot; 20 Mar 2004 at 14:51.
Old 20 Mar 2004, 15:00 (Ref:912048)   #41
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Flatspot
Honda has as much area as Tecate on the car. Hmmm...wonder why? (Where's the sour grapes smiley? )
Sorry to put a damper on your "sour grapes", but all the IRL cars advertise their engine brand on the the engine cowl...

I guess they do that because the IRL has three different engine manufacturers in the series. They don't want the fans to get confused!

Good try though!

Danica Patrick
Old 20 Mar 2004, 15:59 (Ref:912186)   #42
Testure
Veteran

Testure should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Green, yes. Very ... green Interesting that the "Visit Mexico" thing is still there. According to Adrian, it's just something he made up. Pretty sponsor-light, but I'm sure if he does well, he'll pick up a few more.
Old 20 Mar 2004, 16:13 (Ref:912222)   #43
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Flatspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by GP Racer
I guess they do that because the IRL has three different engine manufacturers in the series. They don't want the fans to get confused!
Touche'

I was really referring to size though. I hear this is one place where size really does make a difference.
Old 20 Mar 2004, 16:33 (Ref:912267)   #44
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
Quote:
Originally posted by Flatspot
Touche'

I was really referring to size though. I hear this is one place where size really does make a difference.

Ahhh, that damn size issue again!

The big question, if there is one on this matter, is who is on the rear wing?

Danica Patrick