Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 25 Jun 2005, 11:27 (Ref:1339775)   #26
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutton
Are you saying they would leave rather than use the opportunity to advertise one of their other products?

Probably.

To spend £50 million advertising fags in F1 makes some sense.

I'm not sure that paying £50 million to advertise cheese, which you can advertise in any conventional way, would be worthwhile.
Old 25 Jun 2005, 15:39 (Ref:1339899)   #27
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Well, why did the companies still advertise cigarettes in F1 when there were no restrictions on advertising in conventional ways? Why do other types of companies totally unrelated to F1 advertise there?

I think you will find, once the ban is in effect, a wealth of companies/brands wanting to get into action since hte negative association of tobacco has gone.

If you are saying the only companies thatwould consider it worthwhile advertising in F1 is cigarette companies....boy, the sport is looking down the barrel of a gun.
Old 25 Jun 2005, 16:00 (Ref:1339911)   #28
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutton
Well, why did the companies still advertise cigarettes in F1 when there were no restrictions on advertising in conventional ways? Why do other types of companies totally unrelated to F1 advertise there?

I think you will find, once the ban is in effect, a wealth of companies/brands wanting to get into action since hte negative association of tobacco has gone.

If you are saying the only companies thatwould consider it worthwhile advertising in F1 is cigarette companies....boy, the sport is looking down the barrel of a gun.
Interesting.When the first tobacco ads on the cars appeared in Jan 1968,cigarette ads had already been banned from British
TV. Though I remember 'Guards' sponsoring a race back in 1961. Sponsoring sport was seen as a way to get the brand names on TV.
Old 25 Jun 2005, 16:18 (Ref:1339925)   #29
Vicki
Veteran

England
Stoke
Vicki should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridVicki should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gazza285
parc fumé?
Please don't smoke around race cars, there may be spilt fuel around.

As for the sponsorship thing, well, I'm 15, loads of people at school who don't watch F1 smoke, and me, never have, never want to. So if they change the liverys, it really won't bother me.
There's my £2. (100% mark up due to tax )
Old 28 Jun 2005, 12:21 (Ref:1341934)   #30
Mathias
Veteran

England
Buckinghamshire: home of the British GP!
Mathias should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMathias should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm going to stay out of both the "smoking is bad" and the "people don't take up smoking as a result of F1 sponsorship" arguments, partly because it amazes me that there is still any argument about either, but mostly because I've just read something interesting.

India has had a tobacco advertising ban on terrestrial TV for years, hence they are not showing F1 this year, despite Narain Karthikeyan and all, and despite Bernie letting them SHOW IT FOR FREE. When the European tobacco advertising ban kicks in later this summer, F1 will be able to be shown on terrestrial TV in India, thereby bringing a potential audience of over 1 billion people into F1's grasp.

Who the raging flip needs tobacco sponsors?
Old 28 Jun 2005, 16:23 (Ref:1342120)   #31
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns15117.html

heres a link to the point you are making mathias. and it makes sense the national tv audience of 360 million people is more than watch F1 races now and prepared teams have new sponsers lined up to survive without cigs. while i think that any team should be able to seek sponsership where ever they can find it, its becoming pretty obvious that teams are really in the postiion of getting more or better access to sponsorship if they ban the tabac.
seems like a no brainer!
Old 29 Jun 2005, 15:13 (Ref:1342971)   #32
ClearHooter
Rookie

United States
Shelby NC USA
ClearHooter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A comment was made further up the board about F1 fans being more apt to smoke than other race fans. Being that F1 fans come from all over the world I was just wondering how enthusiastic the anit-smoking campaigns are in other countries outside the USA? Would this not have a bearing on that stat? I'm not a smoker. Big waste of money if you ask me. But its gotten pretty rediculous over here in the US. You can't even go to an outdoor event and light up. I think it is eventually working its way towards making them illeagle.
Old 29 Jun 2005, 23:57 (Ref:1343383)   #33
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Mackmot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
Probably.

To spend £50 million advertising fags in F1 makes some sense.

I'm not sure that paying £50 million to advertise cheese, which you can advertise in any conventional way, would be worthwhile.
Sometimes the point of advertising is to go beyond the norm to create an impact. Maybe Dairylea goodness would be worthwhile on a 900Cow Power car. I think that would have more effect than spending 50mil worldwide on a set of TV adverts that people have become immune to and switch off.