Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 1 Sep 2024, 13:08 (Ref:4224705)   #26
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How stupid could McLaren look at the end of the year…..
Old 1 Sep 2024, 13:08 (Ref:4224706)   #27
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Not exactly a clean start, as Russell has to go down the escape road at the chicane, with Piastri taking the lead and Leclerc passing Norris for second place.
Old 1 Sep 2024, 13:30 (Ref:4224710)   #28
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Th looming team order controversy at McLaren….
Old 1 Sep 2024, 13:48 (Ref:4224712)   #29
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Broken wings
Bits of contact
Piastri passing Norris
Verstappen's right year wheel sticking in the first stop
VCARB mechanic screwing up a 5s penalty stop and causing a 10s additional penalty

It's all a bit messy so far!
Old 1 Sep 2024, 13:59 (Ref:4224714)   #30
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
A slow stop for Oscar Piastri.
Old 1 Sep 2024, 14:04 (Ref:4224715)   #31
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Great radio call from Norris' race engineer - "Just ****ing get on with it"
Old 1 Sep 2024, 14:04 (Ref:4224716)   #32
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
I don't think Ferrari will pit again.
Old 1 Sep 2024, 14:20 (Ref:4224719)   #33
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Congrats to Charles Leclerc and Ferrari on a famous Monza victory.
Old 1 Sep 2024, 14:20 (Ref:4224720)   #34
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
AMAZING drive from Leclerc. What a fantastic way to give Ferrari a win, and at Monza too. Poetry.
Old 1 Sep 2024, 15:01 (Ref:4224731)   #35
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 1 Sep 2024, 15:09 (Ref:4224733)   #36
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post

Who takes his place?
Old 1 Sep 2024, 15:12 (Ref:4224734)   #37
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oliver Bearman would seem the obvious pick.
Old 2 Sep 2024, 00:45 (Ref:4225151)   #38
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
So we've had two Grands Prix this year where a one-stop strategy has just won the race (before DQ at Spa of course) despite the "conventional wisdom" of other teams and the commentariat.

Makes me wonder if teams are being overly conservative and/or if the tyres are actually more capable than 1st thought and/or if the commentariat is lacking in imagination (or all of those). As well as the winners of both events, others in the field went the one-stop strategy too.

Really like that roll-of-the dice approach at times but in this risk-averse world we live in, I wonder how often we'll truly see it? Maybe allowing more in-season testing would permit teams to REALLY run race distance simulations on the tyres and give them more confidence to run an "out there" strategy more often?
Old 2 Sep 2024, 10:54 (Ref:4225230)   #39
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist has a real shot at the podium!TrapezeArtist has a real shot at the podium!TrapezeArtist has a real shot at the podium!TrapezeArtist has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
Th looming team order controversy at McLaren….
I have always been strongly opposed to team orders, so I have to be very careful what I say here. On the other hand, teams have been doing it (legally or illegally) for years, so I have to accept it when it is done for the greater good of the team. In the case of McLaren, Lando could have 10 points more than he actually has if the team had applied team orders to optimise his WDC position. That is looking very likely to come back and bite them at the end of the season.
Old 2 Sep 2024, 11:10 (Ref:4225234)   #40
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User is flirting with disqualificationpeebee2 User is flirting with disqualification
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
Makes me wonder if teams are being overly conservative and/or if the tyres are actually more capable than 1st thought and/or if the commentariat is lacking in imagination (or all of those). As well as the winners of both events, others in the field went the one-stop strategy too.

Really like that roll-of-the dice approach at times but in this risk-averse world we live in, I wonder how often we'll truly see it? Maybe allowing more in-season testing would permit teams to REALLY run race distance simulations on the tyres and give them more confidence to run an "out there" strategy more often?
Thing is, such happenings often tend to be at tracks that have recent surface changes. So there is an element of unknown, and Pirelli tend to be rather conservative, quite understandably.
Old 2 Sep 2024, 15:58 (Ref:4225262)   #41
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapezeArtist View Post
I have always been strongly opposed to team orders, so I have to be very careful what I say here. On the other hand, teams have been doing it (legally or illegally) for years, so I have to accept it when it is done for the greater good of the team. In the case of McLaren, Lando could have 10 points more than he actually has if the team had applied team orders to optimise his WDC position. That is looking very likely to come back and bite them at the end of the season.
Frank Williams mindset?
Old 2 Sep 2024, 16:11 (Ref:4225266)   #42
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
Frank Williams mindset?

Wouldn’t have put it past him to have done that sort of thing
Old 3 Sep 2024, 07:41 (Ref:4225311)   #43
antnee
Veteran

antnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridantnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
So we've had two Grands Prix this year where a one-stop strategy has just won the race (before DQ at Spa of course) despite the "conventional wisdom" of other teams and the commentariat.

I'm sure before the race they were all saying it was going to be a 1-stopper - but then during the race it seemed the tyres were dropping off sooner than expected so most shifted to 2 stops
Old 4 Sep 2024, 15:07 (Ref:4225427)   #44
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
as mentioned the track resurfacing but also the length of pit lane here has for a long time now made a 1 stopper attractive but to your question as to how to make alternative strategies more attractive at a wider variety of tracks...

i suppose im of the belief that more tire testing/full race simulation runs would just lead to greater consensus on what the optimal tire strategy should be, leading to teams needing less running/practice to get dialed in, and ultimately resulting in more strategy uniformity not less.

for sure the introductions of unknowns, or the lack of preparation in this case, to spice things up is looked upon poorly but it is also the most convenient way to inject variety into GP weekends.

so as long as the tires are safe to run, which they seem to be this year, then as a general rule im for less testing/running not more?
Old 4 Sep 2024, 16:00 (Ref:4225432)   #45
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
as mentioned the track resurfacing but also the length of pit lane here has for a long time now made a 1 stopper attractive but to your question as to how to make alternative strategies more attractive at a wider variety of tracks...

i suppose im of the belief that more tire testing/full race simulation runs would just lead to greater consensus on what the optimal tire strategy should be, leading to teams needing less running/practice to get dialed in, and ultimately resulting in more strategy uniformity not less.

for sure the introductions of unknowns, or the lack of preparation in this case, to spice things up is looked upon poorly but it is also the most convenient way to inject variety into GP weekends.

so as long as the tires are safe to run, which they seem to be this year, then as a general rule im for less testing/running not more?
Look, I'm with you in general on this - my thought was however that if teams HAD been able to do a little testing, they'd KNOW that it was possible for a tyre to clean up after some graining if it was treated right. Wouldn't necessarily lead to them all following the same strategy (although in most cases they do that now already if you think about it) but it could lead to teams rolling the dice a little more when the situation demands.

Piastri based his entire thinking on 1 vs. 2 stop on the graining he was seeing on his left front tyre at Monza - if he knew he could clean it up and the tyre would "come back" a bit, he may have rolled the dice.

Anyway, it was just a thought - with the expenditure cap in place, IMHO if teams want to do some additional testing here and there & spend some of their money that way, then I reckon they should be able to fill their boots and have a go if that's the way they're inclined - but that's a whole other discussion I guess.
Old 4 Sep 2024, 16:13 (Ref:4225433)   #46
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
Quote:
Anyway, it was just a thought - with the expenditure cap in place, IMHO if teams want to do some additional testing here and there & spend some of their money that way, then I reckon they should be able to fill their boots and have a go if that's the way they're inclined - but that's a whole other discussion I guess.
fair point...that would add an interesting dynamic under the cap rules!
Old 4 Sep 2024, 16:52 (Ref:4225441)   #47
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist has a real shot at the podium!TrapezeArtist has a real shot at the podium!TrapezeArtist has a real shot at the podium!TrapezeArtist has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
You're absolutely right, and I think no-one has thought of it before. Testing restrictions were brought in to save money (and, I suppose, to look a bit greener). With the cost cap, the restrictions are no longer necessary. Like you say, spend some money on testing instead of making more parts, if you think that's the best way to get performance within the cost cap.
Old 4 Sep 2024, 18:22 (Ref:4225453)   #48
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I agree 100%. This leads to more optimal setups and strategies and less "surprise" results. Such as Ferrari taking the risk (and McLaren not) and seeing that a one stop was the right answer.

Quote:
Piastri based his entire thinking on 1 vs. 2 stop on the graining he was seeing on his left front tyre at Monza - if he knew he could clean it up and the tyre would "come back" a bit, he may have rolled the dice.
So if there had been more testing and the teams had a better understanding on tire life and characteristics... there would be no "rolling of the dice", they would know. Which I think speak to the point chillibowl is making above. With more knowledge comes more confidence in decision making. Teams will know which strategies will work and which will not. See my comments below about the positive impact of limited testing.

Quote:
So I agree in general that they don't allow enough testing. When they started to control testing, they gradually shrank the number and duration of testing sessions. I think we had two sets (multiday) in pre-season with at least a week between so that teams could bring development parts to the second week. Now we are now down to one three day set of tests pre-season and some post season testing. Which IMHO is not enough.

I personally think the number of testing days are too few. But... in addition to cost savings, I suspect part of the reduction in testing is that the lack of knowledge that comes from such severe restrictions helps to create a level of uncertainty that shows up during the season. It's a way (right or wrong) to help spice up the show by making it harder on the teams. Such as... Is it a one or two stop race? We just don't know because we don't have the data. That is the "positive" aspect of limited testing.

Richard
Old 4 Sep 2024, 21:27 (Ref:4225467)   #49
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard C View Post
So if there had been more testing and the teams had a better understanding on tire life and characteristics... there would be no "rolling of the dice", they would know. Which I think speak to the point chillibowl is making above. With more knowledge comes more confidence in decision making. Teams will know which strategies will work and which will not. See my comments below about the positive impact of limited testing.
There is zero in-season testing now, none. It is not a case of allowing "more testing" but I'm suggesting that a small amount of testing would be good. It would give teams a little more base knowledge - tyres being one area that it would help BUT there will ALWAYS be variations from circuit to circuit on grip, wear rate etc. and in some cases (not all) potential for "outlier" strategies will still exist. Teams would know for sure (with a little bit of testing) that (in this case) a graining tyre CAN be brought back or can recover, giving them strategy options.

Doing a 10 or 15 lap "long run simulation" during a GP practice session doesn't provide that type of knowledge.

The only testing at the moment is pre-season at one circuit (that is known to be substantially different to anywhere else, particularly for tyres) and also when all the teams have brand new cars and very limited time, so the focus goes onto the cars, onto the following week's Grand Prix and very little (if any) on tyres & genuine long runs.

Back in the day, when test teams were a thing (& I'd agree that it got out of hand) an awful lot of the testing being done was tyre testing, largely because there were competing tyre brands (that often paid teams for the test days). Whilst today's situation is different, we used to do things like full race simulations, running a full GP distance & if the tyres were graining up, adapting driving style to see if they could be "brought back". That doesn't help you decide on a strategy at every circuit but it DOES provide some base knowledge on what the tyres are capable of.

I'm not suggesting a free-for-all but limited testing (which is quite similar to what you say in your post Richard). Here in Oz, Supercar teams used to be permitted 6 test days per year (now down to 3 - probably not quite enough). 5 full days (which teams could choose to split into 10 half days if they wish) might be a good number. Would also allow teams to shake down new updates, so they arrive at a GP in a more competitive state - which could give us better racing outcomes.

Anyway, like I said, it was just a thought.
Old 5 Sep 2024, 03:23 (Ref:4225473)   #50
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
There is zero in-season testing now, none. It is not a case of allowing "more testing" but I'm suggesting that a small amount of testing would be good.
I think we are in agreement. I think we both think there should be more testing. I would ague for two two tests pre-season spaced apart and a mid-season test. I think my point was... even beyond the cost, too much testing allows for too much refinement. But there is a happy middle there somewhere. And I think we both are saying the pendulum has swung too far in the "don't test" direction.

Richard