Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 30 Mar 2007, 10:41 (Ref:1879783)   #26
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've been trying to find this magazine, can't find it anywhere. Why can I get 'Audi Driver' or 'Rides' or some other rubbish but not this or one of the Tech mags?

As for letting racers contribute, another thing to consider is that grammar, spelling and structure can be a bit poorer from someone whose profession is not journalism. No offence intended, I know that there are some people are not in publishing but have excellent grammar! The editors just may find themselves chasing late articles or doing extra editing to meet their magazine standard.
Old 30 Mar 2007, 10:43 (Ref:1879786)   #27
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Full Throttle is in Smiths at the moment - or else particularly for the tech mags try Borders - they tend to stock a good selection of magazines.

I've seen many journalists with not great grammar etc too...that's where sub-editors come in
Old 30 Mar 2007, 10:48 (Ref:1879791)   #28
Tim Wilkinson
Veteran

England
Essex
Tim Wilkinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zac510
I've been trying to find this magazine, can't find it anywhere. Why can I get 'Audi Driver' or 'Rides' or some other rubbish but not this or one of the Tech mags?

As for letting racers contribute, another thing to consider is that grammar, spelling and structure can be a bit poorer from someone whose profession is not journalism. No offence intended, I know that there are some people are not in publishing but have excellent grammar! The editors just may find themselves chasing late articles or doing extra editing to meet their magazine standard.
From reading some mags it's apparent that the grammar, spelling and structure from those within the profession isn't great either! There were 3 glaring errors on a recent mag cover alone; I showed it to someone who works in the industry and they couldn't believe how that ever got published.

I was pleasantly surprised with Full Throttle, very well written and presented, IMO.
Old 30 Mar 2007, 10:48 (Ref:1879792)   #29
andybg40
Racer

England
Kent
andybg40 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[/quote]Andy - although I didn't buy trc when it first started, in the back issues I've read I enjoyed your column about starting out in racing. Luke's was kind of the same, now there seems to be nothing except "newbie" guides that are full of tips for old hands and not much advice to the bricking it first-timer![/quote]

Wrong Andy lol. I have not written a column in the mag. But i can see exactly where you are coming from Tim. I put a post on the thread about the MK2 Golf series trying to explain my first experience of moving from trackday to racing and how much of an eye opener it was. I believe i used the S word rather than Bricking though
Old 30 Mar 2007, 10:51 (Ref:1879794)   #30
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tim and Suze, touche
Old 30 Mar 2007, 13:08 (Ref:1879868)   #31
Tim Wilkinson
Veteran

England
Essex
Tim Wilkinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by andybg40
Wrong Andy lol. I have not written a column in the mag. But i can see exactly where you are coming from Tim. I put a post on the thread about the MK2 Golf series trying to explain my first experience of moving from trackday to racing and how much of an eye opener it was. I believe i used the S word rather than Bricking though
Apologies, I'm sure the Andy in question who used to race a Polo G40 had posted on this forum - he was an advertising guy at TRC in the early days and his writer's rides column was quite informative.

As a first time racer I don't give two hoots about where in the field to go out in practice, or things like that - I just want to be in the right place at the right time and not **** off anyone else by getting in their way!
Old 30 Mar 2007, 13:31 (Ref:1879876)   #32
TRC Simon
Rookie

TRC Simon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie G
I agree Colin. I offered to write some articles for them (purely for free) on DTRC from a novice drivers' point of view, and got knocked back. I would have thought that was exactly the kind of thing they were aiming at, but obviously I was mistaken?
You didn't get knocked though Jamie, I think if you have a quick look through your PMs you'll see I said something along the lines of 'loving club level racer contributions'. We've been waiting on things get going again that's all.
Old 30 Mar 2007, 13:46 (Ref:1879882)   #33
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well I have received my subscription renewal notice to TRC but have decided not to bother and have e-mailed them to explain why. I'll give "Full Throttle" a go for a while.
Old 30 Mar 2007, 14:16 (Ref:1879900)   #34
andybg40
Racer

England
Kent
andybg40 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wilkinson
As a first time racer I don't give two hoots about where in the field to go out in practice, or things like that - I just want to be in the right place at the right time and not **** off anyone else by getting in their way!
Thats the exact same attitude i had to start with too Tim. I just wanted to take the chequered flag and get my signatures. I'm sue you'll be fine as from all the posts i have read from you the approach you are taking is spot on. Just enjoy yourself, i'm certain the guys around you in the paddock will make sure you have a great time too, both on and off the track.
Old 30 Mar 2007, 14:26 (Ref:1879907)   #35
MikeH
Racer

Scotland
Perth
MikeH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wilkinson
Looks like we're thinking the same thing - that's exactly my plan for my first race!
#68 - 2009 SMRC Scottish Legends Championship.
Old 30 Mar 2007, 15:35 (Ref:1879943)   #36
andypipe
Veteran

England
Essex
andypipe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They say that marriage and moving are the 2 most stressful things in life. They obviously havent tried racing for the 1st time
Old 31 Mar 2007, 07:20 (Ref:1880281)   #37
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I wrote several articles for the BARC magazine and also used to do a club newsletter and you always end up upsetting someone or other and its not easy to stop repeating yourself. Its maybe better to have someone divorced from the championship doing the writing. Motoring News used to ask readers for reports from some meetings as I recollect maybe you guys could offer to do a quick breakdown and notes on the race even on audio tape and offer that to the journos to pick the good bits out and write up the report.
Old 31 Mar 2007, 17:08 (Ref:1880544)   #38
nyssa7
Racer

nyssa7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I send a report to Motorsport News, Autosport and loads of others after every LMA Euro Saloons race, only TRC have ever published, that because we saw Keith and Andrew at the race and they wanted us to all subscribe

The weeklies just aren't interested in club racing so we get a line or two per race. maybe they are right that their readers aren't interested either
Old 31 Mar 2007, 17:55 (Ref:1880563)   #39
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
nyssa7, I have to ask what you think Autosport and MN would do with such a report?
Old 31 Mar 2007, 18:01 (Ref:1880569)   #40
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think it's how you go about it - MN / AS can't be expected to print reports on every event. In my experience, I've found MN etc will publish bit and pieces / more if something different or out of the ordinary is happening.
Old 31 Mar 2007, 20:09 (Ref:1880658)   #41
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quite - no point in sending something that is actually run of the mill. By definition, that is not news. If there is a good story to tell, the best way to get it published is to speak to the contrib reporting on the event.
Old 31 Mar 2007, 22:01 (Ref:1880729)   #42
nyssa7
Racer

nyssa7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In reality, my expectations are low. But I was just answering the post above that said we should send in reports to the media. They are done "properly", as officiaol press release for the LMA Euro Saloons series, not just my own ramblings which are a separate thing saved for my own site

It is kind of galling to be part of a good race, be it LMA, or the DTRC race I did last week and find it warrants barely a line of print. But at the same time maybe the readers of the mags don't give a stuff about grass roots. maybe Full Throttle will be a better organ for the non-professional series, maybe they will find there just isn't the interest just liken others have find in the past

On a similar vein, and because you do the commentary, what are viewing figures for Race & Rally UK like. Is it just a programme for the vain to watch themselves or does anyone else care? I know I watch all the episodes so long as they are the "race" ones, but am I in the minority? No different with exposure whether in print or on telly, if people aren't interested, nothing is going to change that
Old 31 Mar 2007, 22:12 (Ref:1880741)   #43
Suze
Veteran

England
Quote:
It is kind of galling to be part of a good race, be it LMA, or the DTRC race I did last week and find it warrants barely a line of print. But at the same time maybe the readers of the mags don't give a stuff about grass roots.
I agree with your first statement there, it is frustrating to not see it covered - it would be interesting to see whether generally the readers of MN etc are happy with the coverage / balance of the various series. Personally I do read MN and do read all the club and grassroots stuff.

Re Race & Rally - I also watch it, just because it's on and quite often see different series that I don't normally and are enjoyable and entertaining.
Old 31 Mar 2007, 23:07 (Ref:1880762)   #44
Ian Sowman
Veteran

I don't have amy figures to hand, but I understand that Race and Rally does reasonably well on Motors, and gets decent audiences by 'overnight' standards on five. But we're talking quite small numbers in the scheme of things.

As far as the mags go, of course it is frustrating to us writers that we can't expand more on decent races where justified, but I don't see that changing. It will be interesting to see how the new magazine fares, but I can't help but feel that the market is too small to be truly viable.
Old 1 Apr 2007, 07:01 (Ref:1880895)   #45
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Ok so seeing ourselves in print appeals to our vain side, I admit it, its probably true but so what, is there not enough of us to buy a publication that prints this type of thing thus making it a viable business opportunity to produce such a publication. I think the biggest battle is to get everyone envolved in the sport to know about its existance as i would never have heard about it unless it was here. Also seeing a mention or picture of your car in print would enhance you sponsorship search or give exposure to current sponsor justify their continuince (or in my case plug my busines :-) )
Old 1 Apr 2007, 07:38 (Ref:1880912)   #46
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
To be honet, I am not that interested in club race reports - even the ones that I am in. I would rather have a feature written about a club series, club level car or the exploits/ experiences of a club level driver. I think that this would be more interesting and informative than a load of one paragraph race reports. With approx 180 different series in the UK (I think), there should be enough material!
Old 2 Apr 2007, 07:46 (Ref:1881744)   #47
graeme
Veteran

United Kingdom
Macclesfield
graeme should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Sowman
I don't have amy figures to hand, but I understand that Race and Rally does reasonably well on Motors
That'll be because the superb commentator
Old 2 Apr 2007, 09:16 (Ref:1881793)   #48
Ali_FTmag
Rookie

Ali_FTmag should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Green
I have one of their reporters with me at Brands next weekend for the BTCC meeting. They are doing an article on marshalling, so it can't be all bad
I just wanted to say thank you to Stephen Green, the team at Post 5, and everyone else I had the pleasure of meeting at Brands yesterday. You made the day such an enjoyable experience, it was difficult to remember that I was there for work.

The resulting article won't be out for a while, I'll be shadowing a few more marshals in the interim, but you might be interested to know there will be a feature on marshalling in this month's issue which is out on 10th April.
Old 2 Apr 2007, 10:33 (Ref:1881845)   #49
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ali,

Could you confirm how much a subscription to Full Throttle is? I couldn't find a price on the website..

Thanks
Old 2 Apr 2007, 10:46 (Ref:1881853)   #50
Ali_FTmag
Rookie

Ali_FTmag should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dan, the quoted rates are...

UK - one year £45
UK - two years £85
Europe (airmail) £59
Rest of world (airmail) £85