Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 19 Nov 2006, 18:07 (Ref:1769729)   #26
Flat Out Farr
Racer

United Kingdom
Great Denham, Bedfordshire
Flat Out Farr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What an achievement for an ex-UK Hillclimb Champion!
Congrats to Andy P for a great result and a 2nd successive championship.
What price to be in the other BMW F1 seat alongside Kubica?
Old 19 Nov 2006, 18:59 (Ref:1769760)   #27
Kieran20
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Kieran20 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes a big congrats and well done to Andy. i watched the race this moring on the replay just before i left to go racing. put me in a good mood to see him win the champioship.
Old 19 Nov 2006, 19:29 (Ref:1769789)   #28
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett
The Euro was effectively the World Championship seeing as they are one and the same so my point stands.
Not really, WRC, WTCC and F1 are the only true World Championships

Well done Andy.
Old 19 Nov 2006, 23:25 (Ref:1769931)   #29
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Wow, another title. Well done Andy.
Old 19 Nov 2006, 23:28 (Ref:1769933)   #30
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well, ETCC was more or less what WTCC is now, just with no flyaway races and rather less entries. It was almost as tough though.

So he has three in a row in top-tier tin-tops (too many T's!) anyways.

Words cannot describe how impressed I am with his driving.
Old 19 Nov 2006, 23:29 (Ref:1769938)   #31
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Is it true he's the first back to back WTCC winner?
It is!
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 19 Nov 2006, 23:31 (Ref:1769939)   #32
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well, he is the only guy who's had the chance really.

No less impressive though.
Old 19 Nov 2006, 23:31 (Ref:1769940)   #33
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's a bit of a funny record that though, as it wasn't possible to be back to back WTCC champ till now.
Old 20 Nov 2006, 01:50 (Ref:1769971)   #34
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
It's not just the driving, though, it's the whole package. The meticulous preparation for each event, the fitness regime, the close working relationship with the team, the positive attitude towards everything (well, maybe not an 80kg penalty), the media awareness and co-operation, the friendly and open approach to the fans. Just everything.

What's significant is that there quite a lot of posts on here from people who wanted another driver to win, but are quite happy to congratulate Andy on his success and to recognise his achievement. That speaks volumes for the guy.

Congratulations from another admirer, Andy. You are a perfect role model for any aspiring racing driver.

If you want to discuss details, what Andy has done is win three FIA titles in a row. I think one or two drivers have done that in the past, maybe Roberto Ravaglia and Fabrizio Giovanardi, but none of those were world titles and the level of competition was not as high.
Old 20 Nov 2006, 08:12 (Ref:1770079)   #35
Wilbo
Racer

Wilbo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Knowlesy what does that mean :
Quote:
Andy a true world champion in every sense of the word.
Three titles back to back is awesome, and fantastic he's British!

It would be unfortunate if his achievements are recognised by the BBC Sports Personality of the Year/Awards.

Fantstic achievement Andy, so happy for you, Well Done!!!!!!!!!
Old 20 Nov 2006, 08:50 (Ref:1770099)   #36
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V
Not really, WRC, WTCC and F1 are the only true World Championships
Pedant!
Old 20 Nov 2006, 08:51 (Ref:1770101)   #37
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowlesy
Roberto Ravaglia sort of had a chance to defend his title last year, winning the inaugural WTCC in 1987 as a driver, he could have won it last year as a team owner.

Well done to BMW, three World Touring Car Championships, three World Touring Car Champion victories for your drivers.

Is Andy Priaulx becoming the 'driver of the naughties' (in the vein of the likes of Ravaglia, who won 5 straight titles in the 80s, and Giovanardi who won 6 straight in the late 90s/00s)?
Old 20 Nov 2006, 08:53 (Ref:1770103)   #38
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett
Pedant!
Old 20 Nov 2006, 21:26 (Ref:1770937)   #39
Wilbo
Racer

Wilbo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
By the way it was meant to say aren't recognised in my post instead of are (refering to the BBC Sports Personality Awards).
Old 21 Nov 2006, 09:19 (Ref:1771234)   #40
Go_For_Pole
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Go_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGo_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider
It's not just the driving, though, it's the whole package. The meticulous preparation for each event, the fitness regime, the close working relationship with the team, the positive attitude towards everything (well, maybe not an 80kg penalty), the media awareness and co-operation, the friendly and open approach to the fans. Just everything.
Let me second that, especially his openess and cooperation to media. I should know, being a Greek journo on WTCC paddock is hard (in fact to most drivers & team owners it seems like a joke and i do not blame them) but not with Andy. Always there to talk you, always with a smile on his face. Top bloke
Old 21 Nov 2006, 09:28 (Ref:1771248)   #41
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I third that comment, I met him at Bathurst in 2002 when he was over here, I was about one of two people (apart from media) who knew him! Still, he didn't seem to mind and had a good chat with me. Nice bloke, well done, he deserves it.
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen