Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 24 Aug 2003, 14:58 (Ref:697365)   #26
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by Logrence
Montoya's sole problem is that this is the moment of his career and the pressure is getting to him.

That you put so much stock in throwaway comments that really don't mean anything says more about you than it does about Montoya.
But what would we talk about?
Old 24 Aug 2003, 14:58 (Ref:697366)   #27
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Montoya's race was lost (as was Schumachers) by being bottled up behind a slow moving Trulli. His fastest lap proves the pace was there if Barrichello had been 0.001s faster he'd have had a shot at Kimi. All is not lost for any of the top three and it's certainly teed up a superb run in to the season.
Old 24 Aug 2003, 14:58 (Ref:697367)   #28
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Mallett
I'm going to paraphrse.

"You get pole position, I'll win the race".

"Some people like looking at gearboxes for the whoile race. I don't".

Never blown his own trumpet?

And there's more....................... but hey ho
I see those statements as typical of a Racing driver's mentality.

Here's one that kind of flies in the face of your opinion of JPM.

"I don’t believe that I am better than anyone else in F1, but I don’t believe I am any worse."
-Juan Pablo Montoya
Before the start of his rookie season.

Last edited by enemy-ace; 24 Aug 2003 at 14:58.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 24 Aug 2003, 15:03 (Ref:697374)   #29
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I was going to respond but I can't really be arsed anymore. Enjoy your worship hope he doesn't throw it into the wall whilst whinging about the car, other drivers, cameramen etc........
Old 24 Aug 2003, 15:06 (Ref:697382)   #30
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Great come back Peter .

Personally I'd prefer to support the drivers that have done the seemingly impossible and bring some excitement back into Formula One than be picky about the odd slip. As rubbish as JPM apparently is, he's just one point off of the title lead. Read that as you will.
Old 24 Aug 2003, 15:09 (Ref:697385)   #31
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Montoya's sole problem is that this is the moment of his career and the pressure is getting to him.

I don't see that (but then, i wouldn't ) Don't forget guys, he beat every driver who was on the same dirty side of the track (and some who were on the clean side too). Cutting Michaels lead by 5 points doesn't seem like the pressure getting to him to me.
Old 24 Aug 2003, 15:12 (Ref:697390)   #32
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
You know these guys V. Any small chink is enough!
Old 24 Aug 2003, 15:13 (Ref:697394)   #33
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Mallett
But what would we talk about?
The weather, like everyone else.
Old 24 Aug 2003, 15:24 (Ref:697413)   #34
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
F1 is great.... pepole get all riled up over the smallest things... It's just racing (well....sometimes), so just sit back and enjoy it, and don't waste time complaining about what some of the guys involved say. F1 is the most stressful level of motorsports in the world (or so Herbert told me), and guys say things that get others riled up. Sometimes they're just letting off steam (which considering the sport...is normal), other times it's part of some mind game. Whatever it is, the press loves it, and spends much of their time trying to get drivers to spit these things out (I know, I've been one of them). So then when Driver X actually does spit something out, such as "Driver Y is driving like a maniac" - all things considered, why should we really think any more or less of Driver X or Y?
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 24 Aug 2003, 15:26 (Ref:697416)   #35
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Montoya has a problem? Since when?

Is it the fact he's only won two races and is only one point behind TGF in the WDC race?

Some people need to get a life!
Old 24 Aug 2003, 15:33 (Ref:697434)   #36
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think he made best of a bad situation today. Nearly everyone who started on the dirty side of the track didn't have the best of starts.

Considering for the first stint of the race he was in 8th behind Michael and later had a spin, it was quite a good comeback to 3rd. OK, he should't have spun, but he had the buffer to maintain his position.

Any chance of victory was lost at T1.

So yes, he was beaten by the young guns who thoroughly deserved their respective positions, but who was left behind down in 8th at the end of the race?
Old 24 Aug 2003, 15:44 (Ref:697446)   #37
Francesca
Veteran

Ajman
Hampshire
Francesca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why don't we talk about the race instead of acting like children, squabbling and picking holes in the future world champion!
Old 24 Aug 2003, 15:45 (Ref:697447)   #38
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damn right! Although it seems to be the older members rather than the "children" that have the problem.
Old 24 Aug 2003, 15:46 (Ref:697449)   #39
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Haha! Seven podium finishes in a row doesn't look like "pressure getting to him" to me.

As for his comments in the press conference, I'm not sure what he was referring to, as I couldn't see what - if anything - Michael did wrong in the first few corners. It was probably just good hard racing, and I agree with Garcon: Probably just a little psychological warfare from JPM there. This is a big boys' game, after all.

Last edited by R; 24 Aug 2003 at 15:49.
Old 24 Aug 2003, 15:51 (Ref:697451)   #40
Francesca
Veteran

Ajman
Hampshire
JPM laughs in the face of pressure!
Old 24 Aug 2003, 15:54 (Ref:697454)   #41
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
He wasn't laughing much in qualifying.
Old 24 Aug 2003, 15:56 (Ref:697456)   #42
Francesca
Veteran

Ajman
Hampshire
no but I expect he's smiling now though!
Old 24 Aug 2003, 15:57 (Ref:697459)   #43
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Nor when he almost threw the CART trophy to Franchitti. I wonder if he'll do that again?
Old 24 Aug 2003, 16:00 (Ref:697464)   #44
Francesca
Veteran

Ajman
Hampshire
yeah but the point is, he didn't throw the CART trophy to anyone, he got to keep it.
Old 24 Aug 2003, 16:05 (Ref:697468)   #45
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The key word is "almost", Wrex. Or as the Americans say, Franchitti came "close, but no cigar".
Old 24 Aug 2003, 16:11 (Ref:697475)   #46
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Very funny, point being (and you know it) he came close to throwing away a championship that was in the bag. Although I think he is now the favorite, he really needs to continue the smart driving me saw today (minus the spin) to seal the deal.

I dont think he wants to tie points with MS in Suzuka thats for sure.
Old 24 Aug 2003, 16:15 (Ref:697478)   #47
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
All being well he should be a long way clear by then.
Old 24 Aug 2003, 16:16 (Ref:697481)   #48
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally posted by Damon
Great come back Peter.
Blimey, you're easily pleased, but then you're a Montoya fan.
Old 24 Aug 2003, 16:19 (Ref:697484)   #49
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Ooh, the magic of the selective quote button.
Old 24 Aug 2003, 16:20 (Ref:697487)   #50
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there

Tags
jpm