Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 6 Sep 2024, 16:26 (Ref:4225565)   #26
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!
Full coverage here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JM0IMdgPdY
Old 6 Sep 2024, 18:33 (Ref:4225572)   #27
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!
Once again I did enjoy the show. Really unique, including the dress code extravaganza. Hope it will last for ever. IMO.
Old 6 Sep 2024, 18:50 (Ref:4225574)   #28
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
All I can say after a really good Delta day . £7.80 a pint !!!!!! . Some one is taking the Micky .?
Old 6 Sep 2024, 19:05 (Ref:4225576)   #29
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Given the weather, water is for free!
Old 6 Sep 2024, 19:27 (Ref:4225579)   #30
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Unfortunate clash of commentary...

Ben Edwards is as ever the professional and informative broadcaster..

But then you have the very knowledgeable Bruce Jones who is ever enthusiastic but can't help talking over or correcting his co-commentators.

Harry Benjamin who is still earning his spurs, despite having been co-opted into F1 duties this year, but who has limited or no knowledge of this period of racing.

Then there is Alice Powell, who cannot help but speak in a staccato, monotone, repetitive style and generally without any air of authority.

Ben and Bruce should perhaps be the main commentators, taking turns joined by some ex drivers who at least have some clue?
Old 6 Sep 2024, 19:41 (Ref:4225580)   #31
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Nice chat with Ben this morning . As ever I was rushing around but great guy .
Old 6 Sep 2024, 20:37 (Ref:4225583)   #32
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Apologies Iain, and a few others I didn't see/find . . .I rode down on the trusty ( worthing registered 1961 ) Lambretta . . . Dropped into an old work place then managed to weave into a parking spot under an oak tree 10m from the main entrance . . . Nominal sprinkles . . . . As soon as I took off waterproofs, helmet etc it rained, and rained.

4 hrs later I was damp and hungry . . . . So I slid off, re-cloaked and rode home

Much respect to all driving today, I did a track day in Feb with Zef jr in very similar conditions and it is not that much fun. More a survival exercise.

An hour after I got home I also realised doing 60 mph on a dual garriageway on a pensionable Lambretta with modern vans/lorries/cars in the piddling rain on a Friday afternoon, is equally challenging.

A 2 wheel drift on diesel mid roundabout in Arundel was good 'clenching' exercise ??

Stay safe everyone.
Old 7 Sep 2024, 06:33 (Ref:4225607)   #33
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I was quite impressed by the interviewer who spoke to Jochen Mass in the Driver's Club.

After asking his initial question, he simply listened whilst Jochen gave his lengthy reply, eloquently explaining his long-time passion for Goodwood. There were no interruptions, no inane questions.

Two gentlemen...

PS; How's France doing in the Olympics, Gerard? Couldn't find them in the medal list!!!
Old 7 Sep 2024, 07:53 (Ref:4225609)   #34
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Show of wonders goes on: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lt6I69Wf92o
Old 7 Sep 2024, 09:18 (Ref:4225613)   #35
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Unfortunate clash of commentary...

Ben Edwards is as ever the professional and informative broadcaster..

But then you have the very knowledgeable Bruce Jones who is ever enthusiastic but can't help talking over or correcting his co-commentators.

Harry Benjamin who is still earning his spurs, despite having been co-opted into F1 duties this year, but who has limited or no knowledge of this period of racing.

Then there is Alice Powell, who cannot help but speak in a staccato, monotone, repetitive style and generally without any air of authority.

Ben and Bruce should perhaps be the main commentators, taking turns joined by some ex drivers who at least have some clue?
Ben and Bruce are clearly the class acts, but I'm generally fine with Alice, although still referring to 'T1' is a bit disappointing....

I'm enjoying the coverage as I can't be there this year.
Old 7 Sep 2024, 13:07 (Ref:4225618)   #36
SSmith
Veteran

SSmith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhoble View Post
It will be interesting to see if anyone is made an example.
It seems that two cars in the RAC TT Celebration have fallen foul of technical rules. The Davies Corvette seems the more severe offence, "Reported for not correcting Red Dot on HTP papers. Power Steering, Exhaust Manifold & Front Spoiler not to period specification." The Bryant Cobra was not compliant in terms of ride height and anti-roll bar behaviour. Both cars are permitted to start from the rear of the grid for the race.

https://www.barc.net/wp-content/uplo...g-Davies-1.pdf

https://www.barc.net/wp-content/uplo...ver-Bryant.pdf
Old 7 Sep 2024, 16:29 (Ref:4225629)   #37
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
All I can say after a really good Delta day . £7.80 a pint !!!!!! . Some one is taking the Micky .?
Well, if it's either Doom Bar or Tribute Iain it would be (almost) worth it! Glad you've had a good day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSmith View Post
It seems that two cars in the RAC TT Celebration have fallen foul of technical rules. The Davies Corvette seems the more severe offence, "Reported for not correcting Red Dot on HTP papers. Power Steering, Exhaust Manifold & Front Spoiler not to period specification." The Bryant Cobra was not compliant in terms of ride height and anti-roll bar behaviour. Both cars are permitted to start from the rear of the grid for the race.

https://www.barc.net/wp-content/uplo...g-Davies-1.pdf

https://www.barc.net/wp-content/uplo...ver-Bryant.pdf
Looks like Lord March's warning hasn't been noted by everyone!
Old 7 Sep 2024, 16:47 (Ref:4225638)   #38
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does anyone have a more up to date race timetable? it would seem that even the marshall's running sheet from a previous post is a bit adrift. some of the races appear to be starting around 10mins or so ahead of schedule.
Old 7 Sep 2024, 17:27 (Ref:4225647)   #39
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Amazing, 1/3 of the finishers of the Stirling Moss race received time penalties of different lengths, 3 of them for pitting before the pit was opened after a safety car. I think those pitting early may have been confused because a flag marshal before the pits' entry started waving a green flag before the leading car had crossed the starting line, although the Pitlane Closed sign was clearly visible.

One observation of the YouTube coverage today is that it was a "pity" that the advertisements were interrupted by the events at Goodwood. Sometimes they cut back where they started, but at some other times they missed some of the coverage. Very frustrating, to say the least.

Last edited by Mike Harte; 7 Sep 2024 at 17:36.
Old 7 Sep 2024, 17:31 (Ref:4225650)   #40
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
If I'm right the Corvette has been punished beyond expectations.
Old 7 Sep 2024, 17:38 (Ref:4225654)   #41
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
If I'm right the Corvette has been punished beyond expectations.

And in the process, was very lucky not to have collected a few other cars on the way to the crash site!
Old 7 Sep 2024, 17:43 (Ref:4225655)   #42
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Right! Drums all round make a strange music sometimes. PAS apart, the rear window looks strange but may be its homologated as a hardtop. Not a coupé for sure.
Action to begin tomorrow morning at 8:50.
Old 7 Sep 2024, 17:56 (Ref:4225659)   #43
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Genuine question: is there any chance that the compliancy subject about the Goodwood Specials to be second degree humour? Because if all they found is a PAS and a swaybar bracket its no big deal is it.
This meeting is really unique and to try and put things in perspective mind you that we'll have to pay for half a grid here when in your blessed country drivers/owners pay to race. Longue vie a Goodwood. IMO.
Old 7 Sep 2024, 18:50 (Ref:4225667)   #44
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Amazing, 1/3 of the finishers of the Stirling Moss race received time penalties of different lengths, 3 of them for pitting before the pit was opened after a safety car. I think those pitting early may have been confused because a flag marshal before the pits' entry started waving a green flag before the leading car had crossed the starting line, although the Pitlane Closed sign was clearly visible.

One observation of the YouTube coverage today is that it was a "pity" that the advertisements were interrupted by the events at Goodwood. Sometimes they cut back where they started, but at some other times they missed some of the coverage. Very frustrating, to say the least.
The commercial breaks were beyond stupid but even I had to laugh when one interrupted Goodwood's own commercials!

After today I am tempted to boycott Carrefour but they are my nearest supermarket...
Old 7 Sep 2024, 19:06 (Ref:4225672)   #45
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
After today I am tempted to boycott Carrefour but they are my nearest supermarket...
Aint you you all a little bit spoiled childs? It's a great show on and outside the track and we have it for free and can stay dry at home. The riders have been brave. Joe included!
Old 7 Sep 2024, 19:23 (Ref:4225674)   #46
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Genuine question: is there any chance that the compliancy subject about the Goodwood Specials to be second degree humour? Because if all they found is a PAS and a swaybar bracket its no big deal is it.
This meeting is really unique and to try and put things in perspective mind you that we'll have to pay for half a grid here when in your blessed country drivers/owners pay to race. Longue vie a Goodwood. IMO.

The problem about Goodwood, especially the Revival, is that it is supposed to glorify the cars that were racing up until Goodwood stopped hosting races in 1966.Now, I used to be at circuits nearly every other weekend racing my Anglia, and as our race was always the last of the day, I spent many hours watching bother saloons and sports/GTs racers. And they couldn't race the way that today's cars do.

Back in the 60s, I can only recall two cars that could race lifting their front wheels, the Imps and the Cortinas. I cannot remember ever seeing an E-Type or a Cobra doing that, unless, of course, it was just about to go on it's roof. That's because the cars we see at Goodwood are a pastiche of the cars of the 60s. For example, at least one of the E-types there this weekend wasn't created until 1991, so who knows what is under it's skin, and I'm certain that the scrutineers have now idea, either.

I know things have moved on since the 60s. Probably half those cars didn't even have a rollover bar back then, let alone a full roll cage. So the cars we now see racing are all a lot stiffer than in the old days, and that means that they handle far better currently. Also, it's quite obvious to me that the brakes are far superior to the ones available in the 60s, as are the tyres.

I enjoy Goodwood for the spectacle, not because the cars are exactly like the ones that I used to see when I raced. However, there are things that annoy me. Like, for example, why they permit cars to have a bonnet (hood) that flaps with straps to stop them opening fully; that would not have been allowed back then. It had to be closed and strapped/locked with pins. And why do E-Types have the boot/trunk lid open? There must be an advantage because otherwise they wouldn't do it.

Obviously I do enjoy the shows, which is why I sat glued to the TV watching it for three straight days; But I also don't kid myself that they truly represent the cars that I used to see once a fortnight 60 years ago.
Old 7 Sep 2024, 21:34 (Ref:4225684)   #47
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
But the whole thing is a pastiche. A pastiche of a "lost way of life" that never actually happened. WW2 aircraft rubbing shoulders with 60s mini skirts is just one example, so the fact that the cars are mere homages to the originals seems in keeping. It's all about the show, of course; I have friends with no interest in "our" sort of racing who are raving about the latest FB/TikTok/X clip of David v Goliath. Eyeballs, advertising, revenue. And if history gets trampled along the way, and His Lordship occasionally speaks out to rein things in a little - well it all promotes eyeballs.

And it's fun.

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
Old 7 Sep 2024, 21:47 (Ref:4225685)   #48
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Goodwood Revival

Basically it’s not as good as it was back in the day because the cars are better, can be driven harder, the racing closer and more entertaining, there is more variety from several decades at once, the internet was invented so thousands more can watch it live or delayed with a permanent record, and the safety and medical facilities means there is less chance of death. Basically all the crap bits, like war, poor facilities, hazardous materials and lead in petrol, from several decades are removed so it is only the good stuff is left.

At least the car parks got muddy. Hopefully that never changes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
… which is why I sat glued to the TV watching it for three straight days;

Quote:
But I also don't kid myself that they truly represent the cars that I used to see once a fortnight 60 years ago.
Old 8 Sep 2024, 05:57 (Ref:4225752)   #49
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Indeed its fun. Thanks Lord M.
Old 8 Sep 2024, 07:57 (Ref:4225761)   #50
flatlandsman
Veteran

Ireland
Daventry
flatlandsman has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Never been a fan of this stuff, so I dont really get the interest, it seems to me that LM felt the need to go public, he very rarely does such things usually only when ticket sales are poor or like this, when something clearly has happened that has riled him.

I think it is fairly obvious that some of the cars competing at the top level are basically kit cars of a type, some of them are not but some of them are, you are also dealing as is the norm in histrionics, with often very successful filthy rich men, who are worth millions, billions, who are used to winning in life, they spend a lot of money on their "hobby" and it keeps drivers in a job who make them feel like they are winners.

This is always going to have a downside. An entire industry has been built largely around these sort of men, and around a cottage industry of companies who sell these cars to these men, again, this will always have a downside.

It interests me about as much as custard I am afraid, but as I say when you have this much money involved someone will always cry foul, they always do.