Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 1 Sep 2005, 18:29 (Ref:1396628)   #26
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
He's alongside a very good driver now. Regardless of the car he's driving, they both have the same equipment. So there's your comparison.
Old 1 Sep 2005, 19:15 (Ref:1396668)   #27
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Webber lacks consistency. FA does not. Having said that, Mark has less than one year in the Williams car. Not enough time to be totally at ease, I'd say. Speed-wise I think it would be close but Webber needs to learn patience to be in the upper echelon of drivers. Those that keep insisting he is there already are dreaming.
Old 1 Sep 2005, 21:27 (Ref:1396799)   #28
Menelaos
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Menelaos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowlesy
He's alongside a very good driver now. Regardless of the car he's driving, they both have the same equipment. So there's your comparison.
Yes, yes, of course, I meant that he needs a good car and a good teammate at the same time NH is obviously very good too!
Old 1 Sep 2005, 21:53 (Ref:1396831)   #29
Louis B.
Veteran

Canada
home
Louis B. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have been looking for a nice & polite way to say that Alonso would put Webber in his back pocket but I still haven't found one. I don't want to aggravate his fans though

Sorry, some of those new smileys are just irresistible.
Old 1 Sep 2005, 22:06 (Ref:1396842)   #30
KE30MAN
Racer

KE30MAN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well Trulli really put Alonso in the shade last year until the little tantie. I would put Webber along side Trulli on talent.

I'd actually think they would be pretty evenly matched..
Old 1 Sep 2005, 22:09 (Ref:1396844)   #31
Louis B.
Veteran

Canada
home
Trulli put Alonso in the shade??? you must be kidding...
Old 1 Sep 2005, 22:58 (Ref:1396871)   #32
cool man fan
Rookie

cool man fan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Webber would be destroyed by Alonso..... fair and simple....
Old 1 Sep 2005, 23:33 (Ref:1396874)   #33
Louis B.
Veteran

Canada
home
I would not go that far though. Webber is F1 material but I don't see him doing any better than Trulli or Fisico against Alonso.
Old 2 Sep 2005, 00:42 (Ref:1396912)   #34
SpawnyWhippet
Veteran

United Kingdom
Singapore
SpawnyWhippet has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
IMO I would say that if Webber was driving for Renault with Alonso, Alonso would be the 'Schumy' and Webber would be the 'Barrichello' - both very good drivers, but one having that edge over the other that makes a WDC.
Old 2 Sep 2005, 01:40 (Ref:1396935)   #35
NO1SPECIAL
Racer

NO1SPECIAL has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Alonso's driving is flawless now??!! Bloody hell! He's never been off track this year?? I think some of the more fanatical F1 followers here could set whoever said that straight...someone already mentioned Montreal....

And if Coulthard is better than Webber how come he's not thrashing Klien for pace? Sure Klien's improved but not that much...

Why are people so quick to label the leading driver in the best car as the best driver?

I also keep hearing how Schumi is no longer the best driver in F1, and Alonso and Raikkonnen are the new breed...strange how that's come about since the F2005, like the Williams, is a misfiring tank.

Webber has thrashed every teammate he's ever had in F1 and would be equal on points with Nick if it weren't for a team decision, hey, it's just the truth...and he's well had him for pace.

What have Kimi and Alonso and JPM done to prove they're better drivers than Webber - drive a better car? Some proof!
Old 2 Sep 2005, 01:40 (Ref:1396937)   #36
DKGandBH
Veteran

DKGandBH has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I don't think we will ever find out...because of one of the following...
a) Webber will not be partnered with Alonso
b) They will be partnered in a #1 and #2 deal

DKGandBH
Old 2 Sep 2005, 01:48 (Ref:1396941)   #37
FPV GTHO
Veteran

Australia
St Marys, NSW
FPV GTHO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsey
I think the '05 red bull car is an improvement on the '04 jaguar, judging by the way coulthard & klien have been consistently scoring points... But that could very well be an indication on one or more of the other team's demise.
Oh its definately an improvement. Whilst Jordan stopped development of this years car until Midland bought them, Jaguar kept developing what was to them the R6 right through the team being put on sale till RB bought them. Not only that, Cosworth initially found 60hp more in the Series 10 engine, and the 12 had an extra 30hp ontop of that.
Old 2 Sep 2005, 01:58 (Ref:1396947)   #38
KE30MAN
Racer

KE30MAN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis B.
Trulli put Alonso in the shade??? you must be kidding...
Read the stats, they don't lie.
Old 2 Sep 2005, 02:23 (Ref:1396955)   #39
NO1SPECIAL
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KE30MAN
Read the stats, they don't lie.
Those stats sure make interesting reading...i'd say trulli was at least the equal of alonso last year...he led alonso by a point before getting the boot too...
Old 2 Sep 2005, 08:48 (Ref:1397095)   #40
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I suppose the stats don't show potential though. The way Alonso has won races this year shows to me that he's a worthy potential WDC. Yes he had the best car at the time, but it still needs a champion driver to reliably bring it home.

Same goes for Raikonnen now the Mac is improving. He looks to me like the real deal.

In fact, for me Raikonnen and Alonso are streets ahead of everyone else bar Michael. I can't produce stats to prove that, it's just the way I see it. In ten years time, I believe either or both of them will be multiple WDC's, and I honestly don't believe Webber will.

As fans on the 'outside' it's not easy for us to see how certain drivers are developing - because results is not the only measure. So we all have our opinions and our favourites. I'm not going to mock anyone who tells me now that Webber will be the next multi WDC - cos it might just be that they're right and I'm wrong!
Old 2 Sep 2005, 10:13 (Ref:1397157)   #41
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Fair point about Montreal, my mistake. Pretty much every other race has been faultless however. Last season was a bit of a wobble for him at times, but a lot of emerging drivers have spells like that, and he's overcome it extremely well. I agree with Garcon about Kimi and Fernando beign the best of the new drivers, and I'd put JPM and Jenson ahead of Mark as well (a driver combining JB's smoothness and mechanical sympathy with JPM's outright speed and overtaking skill would be a match for anyone). Webber is perhaps the best of the next group.
Old 2 Sep 2005, 10:20 (Ref:1397162)   #42
NO1SPECIAL
Racer

To be fair Alonso's gone off track at at least two races (no i can't remember which ones but someone will - and yes he got back on both times without too much trouble as i recall).

And how come Alonso is allowed a "wobble" and webber is not?
Old 2 Sep 2005, 10:46 (Ref:1397181)   #43
Menelaos
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Menelaos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis B.
I would not go that far though. Webber is F1 material but I don't see him doing any better than Trulli or Fisico against Alonso.
Still, let's not compare what Trulli did to what Fisico does. There's absolutely no comparison.
Old 2 Sep 2005, 10:57 (Ref:1397192)   #44
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Webber would have his butt kicked every weekend. Alonso has shown up Fisichella this season, and I rate him higher than Our Mark.
Old 2 Sep 2005, 11:46 (Ref:1397226)   #45
NO1SPECIAL
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1manoz
Webber would have his butt kicked every weekend. Alonso has shown up Fisichella this season, and I rate him higher than Our Mark.
what utter bloody rubbish
Old 2 Sep 2005, 12:11 (Ref:1397248)   #46
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Right folks - lets keep the personal attacks out of it - opinions are just that - viewpoints are the remit of individuals and whilst we may not always agree with them, that's not to say they are right or wrong.

A heads up - we don't want MW to head the same way on the forum as JV has done in the past - someone who polarises vociferous opinions to such an extent that 'discussion' on them becomes almost impossible.
Old 2 Sep 2005, 12:18 (Ref:1397257)   #47
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
NO driver who is driving on the edge is going to be flawless. In fact if I was a fan of a driver who never missed a turn, I would question whether that driver has reached his potential. There is no doubt that Webber is always "hanging it out" and that is why he has many passionate fans. The talent is there, no question in my mind, he just needs to work on the mental part of racing and show better judgement. Some drivers never do get that, but I think Webber needs more time after flailing away in inferior machinery early in his career. Alonso has matured quickly and most of the time drives like a cool 30 something veteran. It is hard to believe he is so young still. Webber will be hard pressed to ever reach that plateau, imo. In that regard I consider him to be very much like JPM. It's all in the head!
Old 2 Sep 2005, 12:49 (Ref:1397272)   #48
Paarma
Racer

Finland
Europe
Paarma should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Webber is an interesting driver. People never seem to come to conclusion whether he really is fast, or was it just an illusion resulting from rubbish team mates. I tend to belive he is quite fast. I'm convinced he would do a better job than Fisi who seems to have lost his confidence to the team and possibly to himself. Mark would probably keep pushing, but I think it would be very difficult for him to make himself the #1 at Renault. So at Renault Alonso would probably be clearly faster. But... if for some paranormal reason Alonso would join him at Williams... I'd be interested to see that.
Old 2 Sep 2005, 12:56 (Ref:1397276)   #49
1200Datto27
Veteran

Australia
Croydon
1200Datto27 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
When Mark, Jensen and Fernando where all at Renault, Mark was more than able to hold his own against them.
Old 2 Sep 2005, 12:59 (Ref:1397280)   #50
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
He was the test driver - it's impossible for those of us who weren't in the team to compare their relative merits by looking at test times.