Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 29 Aug 2003, 14:10 (Ref:702700)   #26
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
We must be careful here. Although the article says "Michelin's rivals" and that can be any of the BS teams, the Michelin teams can take some action to prevent this to happen this season.
Old 29 Aug 2003, 14:22 (Ref:702706)   #27
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Seems a bit strange to me. Isn't there a problem for the B/S teams because the fronts are made to fit the Ferrari rims and therefore don't suit the other teams? So if anything Bridgestone is acting outside of the "spirit of the regs".

Then there's the definition of "tread". The problem I guess comes in cornering. Even the best of tyres roll so the wear pattern will always be wider than the contact patch.

Once again the FIA apears to have come up with a completely hair brained acheme to spice up a championship that is already at "vindaloo" levels.
Old 29 Aug 2003, 14:25 (Ref:702708)   #28
shiny side up!
Veteran

United States
Ann Arbor
shiny side up! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think this will really cause a big performance change, certainly not at Italy where it will be hot and the Michelins are better anyway, and I doubt it will effect the USGP too much if we get a warm one there, too. Maybe Suzuka... but hopefully be then, JPM or Kimi will have enough of an advantage to secure the crown...
Old 29 Aug 2003, 14:29 (Ref:702709)   #29
OVERSTEER
Veteran

England
Sheffield, England
OVERSTEER should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This rule has been introduced on the back of Ferraris worst performance of the season, Appears that Mosley and co. want another victorious year for Ferrari! lets hope Ferrari bring unreliable cars to the remaining races to spoil Mosley's year!!!
Old 29 Aug 2003, 15:45 (Ref:702789)   #30
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by OVERSTEER
This rule has been introduced on the back of Ferraris worst performance of the season, Appears that Mosley and co. want another victorious year for Ferrari!
Well, when the FIA decide to change the regs with 3 races to go, and it seems to be the Red team that is suffering most, it does make you wonder!
Old 29 Aug 2003, 15:48 (Ref:702791)   #31
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lets just be honest here........its just a fix !
Old 29 Aug 2003, 16:01 (Ref:702802)   #32
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There's no doubt that tires are playing a big role in deciding the championship, but lets face it, there is more wrong with the Ferrari GA 2003 than just the tires. I'm just not sure this Michelin situation is going to change things that dramatically.

Ferrari has some serious work ahead of them on this car.

Danica Patrick
Old 29 Aug 2003, 16:02 (Ref:702803)   #33
stevew
Rookie

Cyprus
stevew should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rule change could hurt Williams and McLaren's title chances

Just read this and I am amazed.

http://www.autosport.com/newsitem.asp?id=24406&s=5

Quote:

Tyre controversy set to rock Formula 1

Rule change could hurt Williams and McLaren's title chances

The FIA is planning to change the way it measures tyre width

The world championship hopes of Williams and McLaren appear to have suffered a massive blow with tyre supplier Michelin set to be forced to scrap its currently dominant tyres in time for the next round of the title fight in Italy.

It is understood that motor racing's governing body, the FIA, has written a letter to all the teams this week claiming that it will change the way it measures tyres from the next grand prix at Monza on September 14.

In the letter, the FIA explains that the previous tread width limit of 270mm for the front tyres will now be measured after the race – rather than before it, as had been the previous practice.

It is believed that this new ruling will hurt Michelin more than Bridgestone because its tyres have previously used the 270mm limit to the maximum.

Confirming the FIA's decision, Williams' chief operations engineer Sam Michael told AUTOSPORT: "The FIA have changed the way they measure the front tyre contact patch. They will now be measuring the contact patch new as well as worn. We are reviewing the consequences of that."

The new ruling is believed to have come after complaints from Michelin's rivals – who claim that when the French tyre manufacturers' rubber wears down during a race the tread width of the tyre exceeds the 270mm limit. There may also be instances that the tread width exceeds the limit when the tyre is running at speed, although this is difficult to prove.

Although Michelin is expected to fight the decision, because it claims the tyre design has been fully legal since it was first used at the 2001 San Marino Grand Prix, it could be forced to build completely new designs for Monza.

There may not be enough time for Michelin to prepare these tyres in time for the pre-Monza test next week – which means Williams and McLaren could race with tyres at the Italian event which have not been tested before.

A spokesman for the FIA said: "A letter was sent to Formula 1 teams regarding tread width, but we cannot say any more at the moment."
*** Just quote the news and provide the source ***

Last edited by Bononi; 29 Aug 2003 at 17:46.
Old 29 Aug 2003, 16:05 (Ref:702804)   #34
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Oh, that's just f****** great...
Old 29 Aug 2003, 16:11 (Ref:702813)   #35
cv2000
Rookie

cv2000 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brilliant move by Bridgestone :thumbs up:
Old 29 Aug 2003, 16:17 (Ref:702819)   #36
james_williams
Racer

james_williams should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A bit irrelavent but.....bring back slicks! Then you wouldn't have these problems. All sounds a little fishy to me. I agree with Sata San, sounds like a fix!
Old 29 Aug 2003, 16:21 (Ref:702826)   #37
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Looks like a fix, *snif snif* smells like a fix, feels like a fix,... hell it IS a fix!
Old 29 Aug 2003, 16:21 (Ref:702829)   #38
429CJ
Veteran

Finland
Otaku World
429CJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mediterranian mafia at it again...

-Jamie Hyneman
Old 29 Aug 2003, 16:22 (Ref:702830)   #39
avsfan733
Veteran

avsfan733 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
this coming from a Ferrari fan:

you have got to be f****** kidding me! thats such BS, I have always been one challenge any allegations o special treatment for Ferrari but this just about takes the cake. I can't possibly see the FIA having the balls to enforce this though. If they will actually pull this ****, then we shall see what happens and if they enforce this I personally will be finished watching F1.
Old 29 Aug 2003, 16:24 (Ref:702832)   #40
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Why is a Ferrari winning the title yet again, so desirable to the FIA? They've won a title in each of the last four years! Isn't that enough! Max Mosley and Bernie are a bunch of total tarts!
Old 29 Aug 2003, 16:30 (Ref:702842)   #41
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
IS there any way of sending Bernie and Max to jail(or exile) before this new rule is enforced and ruins the championship?
Old 29 Aug 2003, 16:38 (Ref:702857)   #42
DSM
Veteran

DSM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Spot on Knowlesy. the last thing they should want is another Ferrari win. To be honest, I had the feeling that JPM was this year's chosen one and was waiting for something to happen which would favour Williams. Time yet.
Old 29 Aug 2003, 16:40 (Ref:702859)   #43
avsfan733
Veteran

avsfan733 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hold on a second! I just posted in the other thread on this topic about how this was so pro-ferrari, but I realised something. Dodn't Michelin supposedly call foul on some sort of Bridgestone "creative interpretation" of the rules earlier this season? Sounds like it was come back to bit them in the ass. If they call Ferrari/Bridgestone on a minor tire issue, can we really blame Ferrari for doing the same? Tit for tat may be childish but what else can we expect but childish behavoir when we have a port that collectively spend several billions a year?
Old 29 Aug 2003, 16:47 (Ref:702863)   #44
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It seems that the FIA are complaining about the tyre contact patch getting wider, which I suppose may explain why they don't change their front tyres a lot.

But ,at best, the FIA/Bridgestone seem to be clutching at straws with this rule-change.
Old 29 Aug 2003, 16:59 (Ref:702871)   #45
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The the plot thickens. In this update from Autsport, Michelin are insisting that their front tyres are totally legel.
Old 29 Aug 2003, 17:02 (Ref:702872)   #46
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very interesting. I think its fair to assume BS had a lot to do with this. Since Ferrari and BS share employees then that automatically involves them too. Now, how did they get a hold of this info? Did they steal a Michelin tire and measure it? Anyway, it it turns out that Michelin was bending the rules then they should be forced to change. This change affects all the runners not just the ones on Michelin.
One cant blame Max and Bernie for attempting to keep the playing field as level as the rules will allow, or making changes to have this result. avsfan733 has a point! BS runners were supposedly caught out mid season. This was when things seemed to take a turn for the worst for them all.

I have been completely against tires making the difference in racing. If MS is the best driver and has the best car then he should win. I don't buy the argument of having another winner just to keep things interesting. I would much rather JPM win but not because he has better tires, but because he beat MS's arse, in a fair fight.
Old 29 Aug 2003, 17:15 (Ref:702881)   #47
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Instead of whining about it, Bridgestone could easily have made a similar type of tyre. Their rounded tyres are rapidly becoming obsolete.
Old 29 Aug 2003, 17:35 (Ref:702898)   #48
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

NiceGuyEddie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr V
Well, when the FIA decide to change the regs with 3 races to go, and it seems to be the Red team that is suffering most, it does make you wonder!
Why are people talking about a rule change? There isn't any change of rules.

The regulation is clear:
Quote:
Each front dry-weather tyre, when new, must incorporate 4 grooves which are :
- arranged symmetrically about the centre of the tyre tread ;
- at least 14mm wide at the contact surface and which taper uniformly to a minimum of 10mm at the lower surface ;
- at least 2.5mm deep across the whole lower surface ;
- 50mm (+/- 1.0mm) between centres.

Furthermore, the tread width of the front tyres must not exceed 270mm.
It has come to the FIA's attention that it is possible that track width differs during the course of a race, or that it expands or anything. It apparently can be the characterstic of the tyre. Of course this characteristic makes the tyre illegal every time it leads to a tread width which is wider than 270 mm.

Therefor, they have decided that the rule can be more effectivly policed when the measurements are taken after the race. The rules say nothing about when the tyres are measure, and the FIA is free to determine when the tyres will be measured. As of Monza, the will be measuring after the race.

This is in itself really no big deal at all.

Michelin is the one which makes it a big deal. Apperantly they have a huge interest in the FIA taking measurements before the race, rather than after. Bridgestone have suggested that the Michelin tread width exceeds 270 mm during the race and that this can be determined when measurements are taken after the race. Michelin's panic about al this makes you wonder whether or not Bridgestone has a point.

If Bridgestone doesn't have a point, then Michelin havegot nothing to worry about. If Bridgestone does have a point, Michelin is apperantly running a tyre that isn't in line with the regulations and therefor is illegal.

The simple fact that the FIA alters it's way of enforcing this rule by changing their moment of measurement, is in no way favourtism towards Ferrari and Bridgestone, it's about making sure that all those involved in F1 racing, stick to the rules. It's the responsibility of the FIA to enforce and police the rules, and that's all they are doing.

How can this be favourtism when it's obviously Michelin who starts to worry when the FIA decides to measure after the race? Again, how can this be a big deal when your tyres are legal every step (or roll) of the race?

Last edited by NiceGuyEddie; 29 Aug 2003 at 17:39.
Old 29 Aug 2003, 17:37 (Ref:702902)   #49
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

NiceGuyEddie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Damon
The the plot thickens. In this update from Autsport, Michelin are insisting that their front tyres are totally legel.
So, then there's no problem whatsoever with the FIA taking measurements after the race. I really do not understand why Michelin suggests a boycot of Monza.
Old 29 Aug 2003, 17:40 (Ref:702903)   #50
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by ralf fan
Sneak peek from the FIA meeting room

Bernie:Hmm Williams are dominating,Michelin are too good! How can i change the outcome of the championship and be remembered as an idiot.

Max: Why dont we misuse our powers and change the rules??

Bernie:Excellent!!i'll be in the F1 history books !
This (or anything remotely near it) so didn't happen.