Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Closed Thread

Old 3 Aug 2006, 03:54 (Ref:1671727)   #26
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa Fan
The article suggests that the drivers have approached the team to run BMWs, rather than the team hunting for additional drivers.

There are significant economical and performance economies of scale to be benefited from by running a multi-car operation.
Yeah, they can afford to stock more/expensive spares, in case one of the three (rumored) BMWs need it. More race data? But with runnning more cars, there should be more budget as well!
Old 3 Aug 2006, 06:17 (Ref:1671785)   #27
newoutsider
Racer

newoutsider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well I agree with racingdad, if I had in excess of £100k to go racing, I would like to spend it on a proven package - unless I actually know that I am not really that quick so can then blame the car.
Old 3 Aug 2006, 06:54 (Ref:1671794)   #28
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by touringlegend
Tell me if this is a case of 2+2 = 5 but haven't WSR been rumoured to be looking at Chevrolet's in the past, plus "Clyde Valley" have said their aim is to sub out the operation to an existing team.
That did cross my mind as well, but only time will tell.
Old 3 Aug 2006, 07:20 (Ref:1671806)   #29
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa Fan
The article suggests that the drivers have approached the team to run BMWs, rather than the team hunting for additional drivers.

There are significant economical and performance economies of scale to be benefited from by running a multi-car operation.
"Approached by several drivers" and "going to run three cars" are not the same thing. VXR probably had half a dozen drivers contact them about what became Gavin Smith's drive, WSR's list of possible drivers this year was just as big.

I agree it's cheaper for one team to run a second car than having two teams each running one car. The problem with running 2 or 3 cars is a lack of personnel is more than one needs work at the same time. That's especially true in the BTCC where you have a limited time between races to fix any problems.
Old 20 Sep 2006, 17:05 (Ref:1714820)   #30
Ranald
Racer

England
Oxford
Ranald should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There might be a thread about Dynamics plans for next year but I can't find it so here goes.
I have just started first year at Oxford Brookes University this week and made a friend who has very close links with Team Dynamics. In fact his dad is Gordon Sheddens engineer, he is also a machanic on Gareth Howells car. Anyway I asked him about the teams plans for next year and he said that the team have been considering running either a Honda Accord or even an Alfa Romeo 156. The Honda Accord rumour has been around for a while but the Alfa came as a bit of a shock to be honest.
Old 20 Sep 2006, 19:31 (Ref:1714944)   #31
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranald
...the team have been considering running either a Honda Accord or even an Alfa Romeo 156. The Honda Accord rumour has been around for a while but the Alfa came as a bit of a shock to be honest.
The Alfa link is interesting. Would TD want to build up a new 159 themselves or buying an old 156 and run that? Or unless Alfa decides to build/sell customer versions of their 159? Isn't Alfa rumored to make an official annoucement regarding their motorsport plans sometime in the next few months?

TD was rumored to be buying an Accord from JAS until that fell through? Do they wanna develop their own Accord?

They can straight transfer their engine and/or knowledge from the Integra over to the Accord?
Old 20 Sep 2006, 20:06 (Ref:1714979)   #32
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
A second hand N.Technology 156 is probably still able to win races and probably cheaper as a new JAS Honda.

I hope they buy 2 JAS Honda's.
Old 20 Sep 2006, 20:49 (Ref:1715013)   #33
Ranald
Racer

England
Oxford
I will ask my mate your questions and give you any news when I can.
Old 25 Sep 2006, 12:42 (Ref:1718409)   #34
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Vauxhall confirmed for 2007 (not that any of us will be that surprised). Details on Autosport/btcc.net. No word on which car but S2000 Vectra seems a safe bet.

Gio was asked in a TV interview about next year. Said he would be 'appy to be back, obviously no contract yet. Personally I hope he does stay.

Word from Mike Jordan's camp is that the sponsors are keen to be back. After years of sponsoring him in GTs etc they've had more coverage from Jordan's one BTCC win than they got for an entire GT season.
Old 25 Sep 2006, 13:01 (Ref:1719268)   #35
Alfa Fan
Veteran

Alfa Fan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Jordan's said he'll be back. Just to decide whether its with the existing Honda Integra, or with a Super 2000 car.
Old 25 Sep 2006, 18:37 (Ref:1719556)   #36
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Tom Onslow-Cole saying yesterday that he was 85% certain of a BTCC ride next year.
Old 26 Sep 2006, 20:56 (Ref:1720702)   #37
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Motorbase have got their hands on 2 Toledos for 2007: http://www.btccpages.com/news/NewsSt...&ArticleID=722
Old 26 Sep 2006, 21:15 (Ref:1720721)   #38
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
That's a pretty odd pair of cars to nab. Not even any of the independants in the WTCC & Italian Superturismo are running Toledo's, even Colciago & Ceresoli have upgraded to Leon's.

Probably not the worst S2000 cars to have, but certainly not the best...it's still a step down from running the Integra's comparatively
Old 26 Sep 2006, 22:04 (Ref:1720744)   #39
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Just because they weren't competitive in private hands in the WTCC, doesn't mean they won't be in the BTCC though.
Old 26 Sep 2006, 22:08 (Ref:1720745)   #40
redshoes
Veteran

Motorbase were approached by a driver this year with a view to running a Toledo. SEAT had apparantly been offering some good deals on the old cars. Unfortunately they were already committed to Pinkney's Integra and trying to run 2 differents makes/models just wasn't practical. Don't know if the same driver is involved here.

Maybe not the best S2000 out there but likely to be relatively cheap yet still relatively competive in the right hands.
Old 27 Sep 2006, 09:09 (Ref:1721036)   #41
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dave Bartrum says they might be fielding one of the SEATs at Silverstone - should give us an idea of how competitive the Toledos may be against the newer machinery.
Old 28 Sep 2006, 12:30 (Ref:1722009)   #42
redshoes
Veteran

Now I think about it, what newer machinery? They are the ex-Pickford and Hines cars so 2005 works built. Or where they updated 2004 cars?

Bell's BMW is ex-works 2005.
Murray's Alfa is a 2005 build, can't remember if it's an ex-works race car or a new build.
Smith's Alfa is the ex-GA Motorsport car, possibly ex-works prior to that but either way several years old.
The Stockton/Dowling Lexus are the ex-SpeedEquipe cars built in 2005. To early yet to say how much improvement the winter re-build made but I doubt they are on par with a genuine ex-factory car.
The Xero Lexus are also 2005 (2004?) builds and again from a non-factory source.

At least as far as this year is concerned the only newer machinery is the 2006 works SEATs. Obviously next year SEAT and Vauxhall will have fresh 2007 cars and Dynamics are likely to have something newer. Aside from those I can't see a sudden influx of latest spec S2000 machines.

As WSR have shown this year, just because you have a model that's no longer current doesn't mean you can't still be competitive. As far as car choice, Motorbase could definately do a lot worse and without spending huges sums of money not a lot better.
Old 28 Sep 2006, 12:34 (Ref:1722013)   #43
Alfa Fan
Veteran

The Xero cars are actually 2006 builds. They're based on Super Production cars which are much older however, I believe they date back to 2002 in Holland.
Old 28 Sep 2006, 12:38 (Ref:1722016)   #44
redshoes
Veteran

Not 2006 builds then. Rebuilt for 2006 but the original shell dates back well before then. If 2002 then older than I thought.
Old 28 Sep 2006, 12:41 (Ref:1722022)   #45
Alfa Fan
Veteran

I belive most of the internal parts of the cars are 2005/2006 winter build. Engine, gearbox, etc, would all have to have been changed.
Old 28 Sep 2006, 17:29 (Ref:1722270)   #46
redshoes
Veteran

An engine rebuild does not a new car make. Whatever, I'm not going to argue the toss with you. The point is that the Xero Lexus would not be considered "newer machinery" compared to the 2005 ex-works SEATs.
Old 28 Sep 2006, 17:31 (Ref:1722271)   #47
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Even the Leons aren't fully 2006-spec yet.
Old 29 Sep 2006, 18:15 (Ref:1723257)   #48
Ranald
Racer

England
Oxford
The new word from my friend working at Team Dynamics is that the team may be running BMWs next season although he isn't sure whether they will be this years or last years cars.
Old 5 Oct 2006, 14:42 (Ref:1728895)   #49
Ranald
Racer

England
Oxford
I have had a word with my mate and it turns out his father, an engineer at Dynamics, will be at Valencia for the WTCC to evaluate possible cars for next season. He has also said that it is very inlikely that they will build their own car.
Old 6 Oct 2006, 13:55 (Ref:1729984)   #50
Andy Metcalf
Racer

England
Kings Lynn, Norfolk UK
Andy Metcalf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranald
There might be a thread about Dynamics plans for next year but I can't find it so here goes.
I have just started first year at Oxford Brookes University this week and made a friend who has very close links with Team Dynamics. In fact his dad is Gordon Sheddens engineer, he is also a machanic on Gareth Howells car. Anyway I asked him about the teams plans for next year and he said that the team have been considering running either a Honda Accord or even an Alfa Romeo 156. The Honda Accord rumour has been around for a while but the Alfa came as a bit of a shock to be honest.
Personally I think a Honda would be more likely, given their track record so far. But as to number of cars and driver line-up, well Silverstone will obviously have a great bearing on those decisions. I feel more than confident of them retaining their title sponsor, Halfords, though.

"Tomorrow, is what you make it"
Closed Thread