Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Club Level Single Seaters

Old 9 Jun 2004, 14:02 (Ref:998475)   #26
diz
Veteran

England
Cheshire
diz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Matt,
Perhaps if I - 'inadvertently' - don't make myself totally clear on any posts, I am always at the end of a phone. I might not be able to speak there and then [if I'm in work for e.g.], but use voicemail and I'll happily call you back to explain, or clear the air.
Diz
Old 9 Jun 2004, 14:03 (Ref:998477)   #27
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Logically that should work - but let's say Combe only gets four races a season. I still don't think they travel to (say) Thruxton or Pembrey, the next nearest circuits, in large numbers.
Old 9 Jun 2004, 14:12 (Ref:998483)   #28
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Back to Justin's original point (he has done an Oulton race I believe), I don't know why there aren't more entries.

It is as cheap it it will get.

It is very, very competitive.

It is very, very friendly.

Driving standards apart from the odd two or three are very fair and realistically reflect the level of the racing.

I think what we lack, compared to Combe and NW are newcomers/novices.

When I first raced in 1998, I could do 52s laps and finish about 16th out of 25. Now if you do 52s laps you will be seriously last. Some people, I am sure don't race for fear of being shown up and having nobody to battle with. I had some great battles back when I started with people who have all now gone off to other things / or given up because they couldn't improve (despite very rash promises and statements combined with an ability deficit).

We should get rid of the five class system and go back to pre and post 87/88.

Have a reduced entry, by say a tenner, for the older cars and a novice class (for the older cars only?) with a modest prize fund. The Star of the Midlands Star of Tomorrow class.
Todays novices are tomorowws mainstays. Having no novices today worries me for two or three years time.
Old 9 Jun 2004, 14:18 (Ref:998490)   #29
Redracer77
Veteran

Redracer77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Ian Sowman is correct. It is all about location. If Mallory was in Chippenham then I am sure that it would still get loads of entries as that area is not over powered with other tracks.

Same with OP - not many other track around to take drivers away.

With Mallory you have Silverstone, Rockingham and Donington all in the same area so if people are keen to stay in the area due to time then they have a load of Championship to choose from that go to those circuits.

With Oulton or Combe we have a "home" single seater (NWFF or CCFF) or sports car Championships (K&N etc). We don't have any other circuits close so these championship get the more targeted attention....
Old 9 Jun 2004, 14:22 (Ref:998497)   #30
DALY
Racer

DALY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am impressed with the responses.

Time, money, family commitments and work, all parts of a normal life. Motorsport eats into this and of course is an excellent hobby but many take it in moderation and deserve to.

From an organisers point of view it is difficult to produce a championship that will attract a viable number of entries on a regular basis if we are unable to know why people do or don't travel to certain championships, circuits etc.

Testing is always given as one reason. Has this not now become an un-necessary expense/time/money excercise? Do people always need to test before a race? Has it really helped on race day?

Has the SoM suffered as a result of using 7 circuits last year and four this year?

Do people now think that the way forward is for single cicuit championships (Coombe, Mallory, Oulton, Brands etc) and then have some fun in the "one off" races such as k o k festival, Coombe Carnival, Jim Walsh Trophy, Walter Hayes and this year the new Edwina Overend Trophy.

What are you ideas gentlemen?
Old 9 Jun 2004, 14:45 (Ref:998525)   #31
darcym
Veteran

darcym should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Daly,

I don't think you suffer from having more circuits, I'd be made up of the combe championship had say, CC,thruxton,Pembry as a 3 circuit championship, all are close together and I'd certainly travel that as it would be 1 local race per month - no more than it is now, it would just be slightly longer/shorter some weeks, but not by hours. If you have more circuits at your disposal in the local area, I say use them unless they are rubbish. I agree with Ian though I don't think %60 of the combe regulars would split between the 3 circuits, for what ever reason, probably because we get a fair few novices each year. Its harder to learn on say 3 circuits, setting up the car, facing the different challange of each circuits administration, I suppose you'd need more testing as you'd be switching tracks every month.

The point you make about testing does effect me, I drove thruxton, and my first time on the track was in qualifying, and to be honest I didn't get on with it, I was learning the track,gears,lines,break points, at the same time as ovoiding faster cars, it was not an ideal situaiton, however I was I in the middle of some important work I couldn't take the Thursday off to test.

the cost of testing and the ease of testing would be much better if for example testing was on a Saturday and the race on a sunday, that way you would make one trip to test and race, keep the traveling time and costs down (not just the cost of the test but the cost of not working) the cost of travelling is not just Petrol which you being self employed will appriciate.

as mentioned earlier on in the thread no one likes underselling themselves, and thats what happened to me at Thruxton, I got thrashed ! however I'd love to have tested and done a better job in the race. If I am %100 honest I'd make more of an effort to force in a SOM round if I didn't have to take the time off in the week, eg: turn up and test and setup on Saturday, race on Sunday and go home. I've got a pretty busy work schedule at the moment which doesn't make the middweek testing easy, no matter how cheap.

that is a lesson I think all the championships may benifit from have a midweek and weekend test session then a race the day after. I think local championships are fine, I've had a lot of fun in them. If the king of kents had been say 4 stand alone events and not intertwined with the championships I'd have had more of a go at that too.

Racing with the regulars is great, but new tracks and people are good too, it really is just a case of making it as easy and cost effective, not just cheap as possible.
Old 9 Jun 2004, 15:04 (Ref:998537)   #32
jminsh
Veteran

England
Not far from Oulton Park
jminsh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Testing Testing Testing

It's Formula Ford 1600 for goodness sake what new earth shattering parts do you all test before every race, i personaly hate testing as there is always some berk who brings out the reds or gets in your way and value for money,time off work and so on is just a drag.
I tend to go as quik on the 3rd or 4th lap of Qual as i would manage droning round and round all day testing and i also get the added benefit of not wearing the car out as quik, it's a win win situation.
Old 9 Jun 2004, 15:04 (Ref:998538)   #33
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cost more in some ways (entry fee) but if you ran a double header with TWO 15 minute practice sessions the first could be a 'test' and the second could set the grid.

We also wouldn't need T-cars, GlobalLights or Captain Zippy Specials to fill out (sic) the programme.

I've always liked this suggestion where entries would be £330 (double header remember) or so but you would save on towing fuel, time, engineer's time/cost etc. etc.

It was suggested in Monoposto but rejected by the Committee as it was felt that the majority of Mono drivers are too old to cope with more than 2 sessions on track in any 1 day!!

Last edited by JohnMiller; 9 Jun 2004 at 15:09.
Old 9 Jun 2004, 15:06 (Ref:998539)   #34
JohnMiller
Veteran

Also, if guests came to Mallory and couldn't test they'd have a handy, ready made excuse for being well off the pace.
Old 9 Jun 2004, 15:22 (Ref:998561)   #35
diz
Veteran

England
Cheshire
diz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by darcym
the cost of testing and the ease of testing would be much better if for example testing was on a Saturday and the race on a sunday, that way you would make one trip to test and race, keep the traveling time and costs down (not just the cost of the test but the cost of not working) the cost of travelling is not just Petrol which you being self employed will appriciate.
Matt, One of our drivers made a suggestion a year or so ago. Bear in mind he always tests and is run by a professional team, so ££s isn't a problem to him.
His suggestion was aimed at the whole grid as a way of saving money. Many drivers test on Friday at Oulton and race on Saturday. At a drivers meeting, he advocated banning testing and arranging say a 20 - 30 minute untimed session [test] before qualifying on the Saturday. In effect take up an extra half hour on the day. This would be funded by BRSCC levying a higher race entry fee, say £250 instead of £165. This would save drivers a lot of money by not having to test all day Friday and all the associated costs that go with that.
Was his suggestion welcomed with open arms? No. A lot of drivers said that the extra £85 would be the difference between them racing, or not. They asked if it could be optional to do this session. This wouldn't have worked, as the BRSCC's budgeting could not include a 'well some may do it' option. It seemed a brilliant idea to me, but it quietly died a death.

Another driver downside was "what if we have problems in the warm up?". I suppose the same as if they'd had problems in testing, or were to have problems in qualifying. OK, so there would be less time to fix it.

It just goes to show that you can't please all of the people all of the time.
Old 9 Jun 2004, 15:47 (Ref:998580)   #36
JohnMiller
Veteran

You can't have a democracy, someone needs to take the bull by the horns.
Old 9 Jun 2004, 16:03 (Ref:998597)   #37
StephenRae
Veteran

Wales
North West
StephenRae should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jason,you're right, droning round for lap after lap doesn't do much good, but with my level of skill I need 15 laps to get into the swing of things at a track I haven't raced at for a while.
Old 9 Jun 2004, 16:16 (Ref:998609)   #38
JohnMiller
Veteran

A couple of other Midlands points...

Those of us who work for oursleves may be OK but I feel sorry for people who have jobs with the current calendar as the number of entry fees in April/May/June must have been prohibitive.

Racing once per month would probably be best for some people, like DoT.

Just racing at Mallory would attract some people as they wouldn't feel the need to test endlessly and so costs would effectively be cut.

Mallory is thought of as simple and unimaginative but generally attracts the best entries...
Old 9 Jun 2004, 16:19 (Ref:998616)   #39
DALY
Racer

DALY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting views on testing. I have to agree with them. It is only of benefit if you have something new on the car to try and even then it is a compromise on costs etc. Testing takes time, engine/brakes/car wear, day off work etc.

Jminsh is correct, it is only FF1600 and it is for fun!

However FF1600 needs supporting if it is to continue, the BRSCC organise the events (majority of)but it is the competitors that need to enter to maintain the viability of it.
Old 9 Jun 2004, 16:58 (Ref:998666)   #40
Redracer77
Veteran

I would be well up for a double header with 30 minute untimed practise in the morning for a entry fee of £325
Old 9 Jun 2004, 16:59 (Ref:998669)   #41
JohnMiller
Veteran

15 minutes would probably be more realistic for that cash.
Old 9 Jun 2004, 17:56 (Ref:998767)   #42
swift
Racer

swift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is a superb thread: the best for ages!

Testing I agree with jminsh: why test at a venue you're used to unless you're trying something different? It usually rains on the Friday before Oulton anyway so that coupled with the red flags etc it can be a complete waste of time.

It would be an interesting excercise to take the postcodes form the registered contenders from the various championships and stick the apropriate coloured pin just to see how far that circuit's "sphere of influence" does extend. If nothing else it'll make a pretty pattern.....

I'd love to do other races at different circuits but for me Oulton is only 40 minutes away. Coupled with the fact that I have to work 3 week ends out of every 4 it is a major logicistical nightmare in arranging time off. In between this , I've got to mow the wife, kick the kids, kiss the lawns and make sure the cat does its homework or something like that.
Old 9 Jun 2004, 19:17 (Ref:998890)   #43
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think the testing is being raised as a necessary evil for those who dont race regularly at a particular circuit so that they arent just making up the numbers
Old 9 Jun 2004, 20:02 (Ref:998934)   #44
darcym
Veteran

darcym should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yes Paul, that was my point.

If I'm going to Oulton for example I'd love to see the track in a calmer situation then qualifying. I tried it at Thruxton.....and it just didn't work I didn't get settled into the track at all. But because the testing was on the Thursday I couldn't take the time off to go testing
Old 9 Jun 2004, 20:06 (Ref:998938)   #45
Redracer77
Veteran

The only reason I have tested in the past is to get used to the car and understand how it handles with being new to FF1600. I am nearly there. Testing for me now is to blow the cob webs away after some time in out of the cockpit.

I would much prefer a 15 - 30 min untimed session in the morning with both Pre & Post 86 filling the session and pay a little bit more. I would save on test fees, fuel, tyres and team costs which would mean I had more of my budget to spend doing races at other tracks......

Last edited by Redracer77; 9 Jun 2004 at 20:07.
Old 9 Jun 2004, 20:09 (Ref:998944)   #46
dhart
Racer

dhart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I raced in the SOM series a few years ago whilst working for R Peacock racing ,id work sat at Oulton and spend the money racing at Mallory on the sunday. I was always amazed that the entry was so poor(in numbers) compared with Oulton, given that in was in the centre of so many major conurbation's, but i think that is its problem.
The midlands as a whole is so accesible to virtually every circuit in the UK that anyone starting racing isnt put off by the traveling, and does a national championship, whereas the NW and SW have only a couple of circuits each and the only real regional championships are FF so they get quite a lot of new local racers.
Cant really help Daly with an answer to promoting SOM , (other than aiming at local drivers from other series!)all i can say is that i think it is very well run, the "midland center" BRSCC is excellent the competitors friendly /helpfull and if you get the chance go and see for youself!!

Last edited by dhart; 9 Jun 2004 at 20:11.
Old 9 Jun 2004, 20:11 (Ref:998947)   #47
Redracer77
Veteran

thats the point I made Dave
Old 9 Jun 2004, 21:15 (Ref:999021)   #48
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
foreversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridforeversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Go you go to Donnington ??
Old 10 Jun 2004, 18:39 (Ref:999963)   #49
steve27
Rookie

steve27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Having done two seasons racing,trying to fit in both SOM & NW I decided this year to concentrate on just one championship, the NW.I have to admit that the BRSCC Midlands organisers Barry & Rita and Peter Daly are some of the most helpfull that I have come accross and sympathise with their dilemma.However hard I tried,and believe me I tried,it was impossible to do all rounds of both.This meant a somewhat fractured season and poor points scoring in both.Good fun and extreemly expensive but for little return.This season Oulton & Trac-mon and what do I find.....A maximum grid at Oulton and twelve cars at Angelsey.Ignoring breakdowns and holidays I beleive the reason for this is not so much time or money but the people who wan't to do well and score points....well they seem to be the ones who allways turn up.Stephen Roberts would carry his car to the circuit, because he intends to win and to win you have to turn up.The reality is we can't all win but to do our best we have to be at as many rounds as possible.On the other hand the drivers just wanting to have a fun days racing do just that, they must then have the right to do that where they choose and for as little or as much as they choose.Given the choice of racing 30 cars at oulton or far fewer at Malory or sadly Angelsey they choose the latter and who can blame them??????
Old 10 Jun 2004, 18:42 (Ref:999967)   #50
Redracer77
Veteran

Steve27 (sorry to break the tread but)

You still need to call me about that bedroom job I mentioned to you at Anglesey.

RR77