Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 10 Oct 2004, 22:30 (Ref:1120604)   #26
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by v8racer

Yeah there are some improvements to be made like anything, but thank goodness we didn't have to sit through as many corny jokes and puns from Woodsy this time!
But they gave us Aiston's jokes instead.
Old 11 Oct 2004, 11:10 (Ref:1120961)   #27
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Cromly is probably the best comentator we have in Australia.

Beattie will be in his element next weekend at the Moto GP at PI and is improving but I have to ask why they didn't cut off his interview when there was an on track crash on the screen.

Brad Jones was good and he should be able to get a job in commentary if he stops racing.

The Sky Cam was great and wasn't overused.

Now everyone complains about Ch7 but think back carefully. 90% of the camera angles were the same as Ch7's, Race Cam was invented by Ch7 boffins and sold to the yanks and now used by Ch10. 7 had the problem of football getting in the way as does 10 during the finals and Ch10 is the home of delayed motorsport. I think the Indy, Clipsal & 1000 may be live but all the other races are at least 45 minutes behind the live action if it's a 300km race.

In summary, well done to 10 but is it just me or was the race really quiet by usual standards.
Old 11 Oct 2004, 11:24 (Ref:1120971)   #28
Crowestar
Racer

Australia
Crowestar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They did a good job. Skycam and the 3D graphics are amazing. But they had too many ad breaks. I don't want to see ads after only 5 laps. They also need a "main" commentator for example Mike Raymond. Bill Woods should stick to the anchor role. Cromptons pit walks were great. I think they also misses Mark Oastler. His experence and knowledge of histoy of the race was highly missed.

By the way i'm half way through Bill Woods' book and it is great. I highly recommed it.
Old 12 Oct 2004, 01:08 (Ref:1121710)   #29
Alan Jones
Veteran

Alan Jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I got one complaint.........WHERE WAS THE FEATURE STORY ON PITBABES ???
Old 12 Oct 2004, 01:34 (Ref:1121718)   #30
Growling Ferret
Racer

Growling Ferret should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought it was a great coverage, but I don't rate Bill Woods as a commentator. What is Leigh Diffey doing these days?

Ch 10 kept viewers up to date all day, did not spend the entire day showing guys pitting, the movable camera worked well tracking cars along pit lane, and the guest commentators were excellent.

Then moving onto the F1, it was 11 or 12 hours straight of motorsport (minus the news) - does a day get any better (other than wishing for a Ford win...)
Old 12 Oct 2004, 01:50 (Ref:1121720)   #31
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
retro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Inviting off duty or retired drivers to the commentary box gives a good insight to the race and its unseen subtleties. Certainly better than endless flash backs and concentrating on 1 driver/team.
There were some good camera angles and the wizzo fly cam was excellent.
Overall the telecast was well presented.

»-(¯`v´¯)-»........................The retro report........................©®»-(¯`v´¯)-» ê¿~

Disclaimer; the above is pure speculation and only posted for entertainment purposes!!!
Old 12 Oct 2004, 02:45 (Ref:1121740)   #32
GROUPA
Racer

GROUPA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Only problem with C10 something always seems to happen during a ad break.

Cant predict that in all fairness.....
Old 12 Oct 2004, 03:35 (Ref:1121748)   #33
aj_308
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
aj_308 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
what happened to the WRC thing they had last year where they showed where one car was faster than the other?
Old 12 Oct 2004, 03:44 (Ref:1121755)   #34
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
retro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yeah I thought I read somewhere they were using that again.

BigPond have trialed similiar software but it only shows a *dot* on the circuit where the car is (ala NASCAR)

»-(¯`v´¯)-»........................The retro report........................©®»-(¯`v´¯)-» ê¿~

Disclaimer; the above is pure speculation and only posted for entertainment purposes!!!
Old 12 Oct 2004, 06:34 (Ref:1121792)   #35
noodles
Rookie

noodles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
aj_308,

That is called Virtual Spectator. No-one was prepared to pay the $10 or $20 per rally to use it via the web. It is still used in the coverage by RallyXS (which is the coverage we see on Fox Sports). The www.wrc.com website (also done by Rally XS) has also dropped the Rally Radio facility, although they did bring it back for Rally GB as a once off. They ran a poll on the website during this rally, asking the punters how much they would be prepared to pay, per rally, for Rally Radio.
Old 12 Oct 2004, 11:36 (Ref:1122045)   #36
1200Datto27
Veteran

Australia
Croydon
1200Datto27 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Growling, you forgot the MotoGP as well
Old 12 Oct 2004, 13:16 (Ref:1122142)   #37
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can we please stop with the 'Remember what it was like with 7' stuff please! That was eight years ago that they last telecast a V8 race.

Is it wrong to expect a quality coverage, with constant improvements and reviews. Just showing it is not enough, if people were really just happy with that, they would have been happy with Channel 7.

As for the coverage, good, but not great.

Where was the post race analysis. This is one area that 7 definatly had it over TEN. Channel Seven's news traditionally starts at 6pm, which always allowed enough time for a detailed debrief. With TEN's coverage always aiming to get to the news as close to 5pm as possible (as that is their traditional news time), it means any post-race chat after the podium is non-existent, and this has caused a problem most years since they first telecast the Australian 1000 in 1997.

As for the commentators, if i hear some one else talk about hitting the Rev-Limiter one more time i'm not sure what i will do
Old 12 Oct 2004, 22:47 (Ref:1122706)   #38
Panzer
Racer

Panzer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Channel 10 has very good motorsport coverage. Cromley is especially good, the only thing I would have a gripe about is that only the top 10 / 15 cars get any coverage. I know you can't cover every car in the field but they could show the other cars and make a small comment every now and then. They have sponsors, fans, and family watching for 7 hours too, and wondering how their drivers are getting on. I can think of a number of cars who didn't get a mention, even when they were running through the starting grid. Fix that and it will be excellent.
Old 13 Oct 2004, 02:27 (Ref:1122818)   #39
TSR
Veteran

Australia
Sutherland Shire
TSR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by racer69
Can we please stop with the 'Remember what it was like with 7' stuff please! That was eight years ago that they last telecast a V8 race.

Is it wrong to expect a quality coverage, with constant improvements and reviews. Just showing it is not enough, if people were really just happy with that, they would have been happy with Channel 7.

As for the coverage, good, but not great.

Where was the post race analysis. This is one area that 7 definatly had it over TEN. Channel Seven's news traditionally starts at 6pm, which always allowed enough time for a detailed debrief. With TEN's coverage always aiming to get to the news as close to 5pm as possible (as that is their traditional news time), it means any post-race chat after the podium is non-existent, and this has caused a problem most years since they first telecast the Australian 1000 in 1997.

As for the commentators, if i hear some one else talk about hitting the Rev-Limiter one more time i'm not sure what i will do

Well said, but at least we did not have M.Oastler 1350kg cars mentioned every 15 min of the telecast on Sunday.
2015 V8Supercar Champion #5 PDA Mark Frosty Winterbottom
To Finish First, First you must Finish
Old 13 Oct 2004, 09:32 (Ref:1122994)   #40
paydirt
Racer

paydirt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What about Paul Gover's performance during interviews at Sandown & Bathurst?? Is it just me, or do most drivers answer his questions through gritted teeth?

Hell, I thought (the normally reserved) Cameron McConville was gunna punch him out!!
Old 13 Nov 2004, 06:27 (Ref:1152218)   #41
Schrodes
Rookie

Australia
Sydney ish
Schrodes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Another classic Beattie moment today. Ambrose finishes second...
Beattie: So Marcos, your a Tasmanian and you've had your first race in Tasmania and won...
Ambrose: Well I've had my first race but we didn't win.
Seriously, why does this bloke still have a job?
Old 13 Nov 2004, 06:48 (Ref:1152219)   #42
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The cynical view may be that this little booboo was a Holden-planted soundbyte, designed to annoy and infuriate the Ford camp into feeling they are 2nd rate by finishing 2nd.....

Or not
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 13 Nov 2004, 06:57 (Ref:1152220)   #43
Rick
Veteran

Madagascar
Fantasyland
Rick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ch 10 - #$%$#!!!

did everyone get the coverage that had ads from lap 35 -lap 40 then back for the last 2 laps or was that a "special" for Queenslands daylight -saving replay

absolute disgrace.
Old 13 Nov 2004, 07:16 (Ref:1152224)   #44
Aarrgh8
Veteran

Aarrgh8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm in Sydney, and the advertising here would take some beating. If you had more and worse ads up there, I'm sorry for you.

I don't know what is the current allowable amount of advertising per hour, but that had to be right on, or just over it. Telecast started at 3.30, waffle and endless ads for over half an hour. With that tilt-tray stuck in the grass just before the start, they ran another block of ads. I thought that might have meant more racing with less ad breaks during the race. No such luck. To make it worse the advertising is getting worse. That KFC Zinger ad with the Volvo with cardboard stuck on it certainly doesn't make me want to buy any KFC. Quite the opposite.
Old 13 Nov 2004, 07:21 (Ref:1152226)   #45
DavidStHubbins
Veteran

United Kingdom
DavidStHubbins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Makes me want to buy a volvo though! Yummm.
Old 13 Nov 2004, 07:21 (Ref:1152227)   #46
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The cardboard is used for taste testing comparisons, to see if KFC tastes like industrial strength corrugated cardboard.

In a series of blind taste tests, no consumer involved in the survey could tell the difference....

#CANCERSUCKS
Old 13 Nov 2004, 09:29 (Ref:1152265)   #47
paydirt
Racer

paydirt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
...and the old guys missus looks as cranky as Mrs.paydirt.

Ouch!!she was looking over my shoulder.
Old 13 Nov 2004, 12:00 (Ref:1152351)   #48
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What is with the Channel 10 shun so far of the WRC rally. I know their showing it tomorrow, but so far there has been nothing on Sports Tonight.

Is this under advice from above not jepordise the focus of another race on this weekend ?
Old 13 Nov 2004, 13:53 (Ref:1152433)   #49
mixxer
Veteran

Australia
Somewhere over the rainbow
mixxer has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Obviously they feel the bulk of their viewers would rather watch the tourers than the WRC, not hard was it.
Old 13 Nov 2004, 22:23 (Ref:1152726)   #50
Mark Webber
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Mark Webber has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
so you would think / or are we again being told what we like